Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

jokes posted:

Not really you need to run DS4Windows or similar to get it to work, which sucks.

How is the 8bitdo xbox-alike controller anyways? Got recommended a corded one for a cheap PC controller. Mostly just want to use it for windows games poo poo, but don't want to spend money on an actual xbox controller because I'm cheap.

Ironically enough the need for that became less pressing because I got the game I wanted to play to work on my deck, which has a very nice controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There’s an app in the steam store called DSX which costs a couple of bucks but works flawlessly for me where ds4windows was always spotty at best.

There’s a ‘dlc’ for DualSense poo poo that costs extra and is getting them reviewbombed into oblivion but you don’t actually need it to use a DualSense so I’m not even sure what that DLC does.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Bought Forza Horizon 4 on sale because it looked cozy and after some difficulties getting by the Microsoft account sign up, it runs incredibly well. High at 50-60 fps?! How?!

It’s easily the best running game on my asus rog and it was also the first thing I installed to try out gamepass. Kinda screwed up my expectations lol

Edit: also I haven’t really been using gamepass on the thing, one of the main reasons to get a non-steam handheld. I’m gonna let it lapse I think and just go back to playing it extremely cheap steam indie games at my own pace, and Diablo 4

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Adjust the sensitivities on the pads down and add acceleration, it actually helps! Use the gyro as a mouse for fine movement when your thumb is resting on the pad itself! The trackpads are great.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Do I wanna pay $15 a month to play yakuza 3 for a month hoping they don’t take it off or do I pay like $3 to own it as part of a bundle? Tough decision,

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Upsidads posted:

after this cool new patch with drm Dragons Dogma now likes to freeze the whole computer
Thanks Capcop

Savvy move by them. Who knows how much money they were losing to piracy on a 15 year old game that's marked down to $4 80% of the year.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Skrill.exe posted:

Savvy move by them. Who knows how much money they were losing to piracy on a 15 year old game that's marked down to $4 80% of the year.

it's not antipiracy, it's specifically anti-modding

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Do I wanna pay $15 a month to play yakuza 3 for a month hoping they don’t take it off or do I pay like $3 to own it as part of a bundle? Tough decision,

Y3 is the bad Yakuza, don't do either.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this is not really steamdeck specific but since we're on the subject, i use an 8bitdo universal adapter thing to use a ps5 controller because i had an extra one and i find it connects better than the bluetooth. is there a way to make steam and epic games show me ps controller prompts rather than the xbox prompts it defaults to from the adapter?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

History Comes Inside! posted:

There’s an app in the steam store called DSX which costs a couple of bucks but works flawlessly for me where ds4windows was always spotty at best.

There’s a ‘dlc’ for DualSense poo poo that costs extra and is getting them reviewbombed into oblivion but you don’t actually need it to use a DualSense so I’m not even sure what that DLC does.

It supposedly enables certain features that nobody gives a gently caress about like the adaptive triggers. Strange that Sony refuses to release software that makes their hardware worth using and we have to turn to these weird projects.

Anyways, I used both and ended up using DS4Windows but DSX has a much better interface and doesn't feel nearly as hacky as DS4Windows. It costs money though

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Re the new trackpads on the OLED models:

I thought they were fine on the LCD model, and I liked them quite a bit in games like RimWorld, but the new trackpads are so much better for desktop mode and normal mouse stuff. Like it's a breeze to type my user password in desktop mode with the thumb keyboard now, where before it was a bit of a crapshoot whether it would just be quicker to use the d-pad.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Cyrano4747 posted:

How is the 8bitdo xbox-alike controller anyways? Got recommended a corded one for a cheap PC controller. Mostly just want to use it for windows games poo poo, but don't want to spend money on an actual xbox controller because I'm cheap.

Ironically enough the need for that became less pressing because I got the game I wanted to play to work on my deck, which has a very nice controller.

I think all the 8bitdo controllers are good. I even like the super cheap 2.4ghz "8bitdo ultimate c" that clocks in at < $30. As far as 3rd party controllers go they are hard to beat.

Having said that I don't have any wired ones. I have a couple 2.4ghz and a couple bluetooth varieties and they are all solid.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I really like my 8bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth controller, got it for playing Tears of the Kingdom docked on my Switch, but it also works just as good with PC/Steam Deck.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Deck arrived! Now I just have to finish work and get home.

Does it suspend games as well as the Switch? Having that ability to just hit a couple buttons and be back in a game is incredible.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's kind of one of its main appeals!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Whoreson Welles posted:

Does it suspend games as well as the Switch?
Sort of. If you press the power button the Deck goes to sleep and that much works as expected.

You can also press the Steam button and bring up the home screen, but unlike the Switch that doesn't actually pause execution of the game. So if you're going to do that you may want to pause the game internally (if that's an issue).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dungeons of Dreadrock is $0.71 if this is your jam. It’s got very positive reviews. Good deck puzzle game

quote:

An immersive puzzle dungeon adventure in the spirit of 1980's home computer games. Dig your way through 100 levels into the ancient depths of Dreadrock Mountain. Winner of Google Indie Games Festival / Indie Clash 1st prize / PocketGamer People's Choice Finalist / GDWC best indie game nominee.

Dungeons of Dreadrock is an adventure game that includes action, exploration and fighting but mainly focuses on puzzles.

"Every year, a young boy is chosen to defeat the King of the Mountain." - only this time, it's your brother. After accompanying him to the Dead King's Gate and letting him enter on his own as advised... Well let's just say things go different from there than the Village Elders expected.

In order to reach the Dead King's crypt to save your brother from being sacrificed you'll need to solve puzzles, evade traps and fight a bunch of enemies. There are scrolls to decipher, levers to pull, floor plates to step on, fireballs to evade, doors to smash or to unlock, and a whole lot of enemies to kill. But while Zombies or Dread Beetles are easy prey, a lot of other creatures from Ogres to Dark Elves, Minotaurs and Dragons will require more than just brute force to be overcome.

Dungeons of Dreadrock basically takes the idea of oldschool first-person grid-based real-time Dungeon Crawlers (like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder or Legend of Grimrock) and shifts the perspective to top-down. But what seems like a little twist results in a whole new (yet somewhat familiar) experience that was designed to be accessible for oldschool gamers and casual gamers alike.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1896880/Dungeons_of_Dreadrock/

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

parasyte posted:

it's not antipiracy, it's specifically anti-modding

CapCom got real salty about the flyswatter mod for RE 8.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

If I'm going to use it primarily for Emulation, and most likely older-gen emulation, which of these SD cards would you go with?

$70 - Lexar PLAY 1TB microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card, C10, U3, V30, A2, Full-HD Video, Up To 160/100 MB/s

$70 - Silicon Power 1TB Superior Micro SDXC UHS-I (U3), V30 4K A2,High Speed MicroSD Card

$97 - SanDisk 1TB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - Up to 190MB/s, C10, U3, V30, 4K, 5K, A2

e: Also, does this Like New Factory Direct USB C Hub for $40 look fine?: Anker USB C Hub

Klungar fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 12, 2024

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Snackmar posted:

Re the new trackpads on the OLED models:

I thought they were fine on the LCD model, and I liked them quite a bit in games like RimWorld, but the new trackpads are so much better for desktop mode and normal mouse stuff. Like it's a breeze to type my user password in desktop mode with the thumb keyboard now, where before it was a bit of a crapshoot whether it would just be quicker to use the d-pad.

yeah, opened my new OLED Deck about an hour ago and the pads are much nicer.

other notes:
- screen nice
- screen protector went on pretty easily. i might keep it on in spite of a single infuriating speck of dust or something in there.
- it really is notably lighter.
- no dead pixels or headphone jack static

all in all, seems like more than a minor upgrade to me.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Insanite posted:

other notes:
- screen nice
- screen protector went on pretty easily. i might keep it on in spite of a single infuriating speck of dust or something in there.

Remove the screen protector, be free, raw dog it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Insanite posted:

other notes:
- screen nice

It’s weird how much lighter it feels. Like I believe that Valve weighed it correctly, but the difference is more striking than I expected from their numbers.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

my oled is supposed to be arriving tomorrow, is there any accessories i should definitely get for it?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Animal posted:

Remove the screen protector, be free, raw dog it.

if anything bugs me about it in a day, definitely

Subjunctive posted:

It’s weird how much lighter it feels. Like I believe that Valve weighed it correctly, but the difference is more striking than I expected from their numbers.

yeah, it's only a 29g difference iirc, but it feels like several times that. hands and brains are weird, i guess.

Splash Attack posted:

my oled is supposed to be arriving tomorrow, is there any accessories i should definitely get for it?

either definitely do or definitely don't get a screen protector.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Splash Attack posted:

Just an SD card. The Steam Deck is perfect as-is.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I have a similar Anker one that I just unplug from my work laptop and plug into the Steamdeck and all’s well. This is a good workaround to the slow WiFi of the LCD Deck https://a.co/d/16wa9Ey

Only thing is you really need a 100W charger or else your Steamdeck will slowly discharge when docked. So I wind up using the usb-c charger from a Mac book pro

But, I definitely like the Deck as a device for running Chrome on a monitor with a mouse and keyboard

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Coffee Jones posted:

Only thing is you really need a 100W charger or else your Steamdeck will slowly discharge when docked.

:thunk:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Deck can only charge at 30W, and can pull another 15W to power it playing while it’s charging. Just make sure it can do 3x15 or you might not get 45W even if the charger can do more than that.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Would the Switch docking station charger work?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I ordered it. Lots of money. But the 1tb will be in hand when it gets here.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Would the Switch docking station charger work?

You'd have to put it in upsidedown, and that would block the fans. The Deck's charging port isn't centered so it'd be all wobbly anyways. The Switch dock has little bumps next to the charger that will probably get in the way, too.

e: after further checking, the Steam Deck is too thick to fit.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 13, 2024

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Waffle! posted:

same

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Waffle! posted:

You'd have to put it in upsidedown, and that would block the fans. The Deck's charging port isn't centered so it'd be all wobbly anyways. The Switch dock has little bumps next to the charger that will probably get in the way, too.

I meant just the switch charging brick not the dock itself

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’ll fit in the switch dock if you want it bad enough, don’t listen to that goon trying to hold you back

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I meant just the switch charging brick not the dock itself

oh then yeah no problem i've done that. switch and deck both prefer 15v to charge and like to pull about 2a, they're like peas in a pod

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Worth noting, I went to this link again today to tinker with it and he straight up rewrote the article for the newest update and edited it today, which is cool.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Y3 is the bad Yakuza, don't do either.

Y3 owns if you just relax and embrace the chill island vibes, actually.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mode 7 posted:

Y3 owns if you just relax and embrace the chill island vibes, actually.

I am playing through Yakuza 3 and the island vibes are good but how come the fishing is bad?!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Used NonSteamLauncher to get Ubisoft Connect going for the Prince of Persia demo and this game’s running awesome on the Deck. Looking like a solid Day 1 buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
What should I use for non-steam games? Like ones I might have installed on my PC that I got from various means...
Or if I grab a standalone install for a gog game instead of using galaxy.