Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Is there no footbaw-respecting tech bro who can shower Washington football with money and make them a top 15 recruiting and staff budget team ?

The folks who makes Lorem Ipsum jokes and post about the "Superb Owl" every year are not fundraising for football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

pillsburysoldier posted:

The folks who makes Lorem Ipsum jokes and post about the "Superb Owl" every year are not fundraising for football

Let’s see Paul Allen’s card.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Silly Burrito posted:

They have bad BBQ too

Rude

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
To illustrate the point further, basically none of my college friends have ever given a gently caress about Husky football, much less sports in general. That's why I joined SA in the first place, to have people to talk about football with.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean Washington had half a stadium until like 10 years ago

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Well, the location is great for recruiting Georgia, Florida and Louisiana which are all talent rich states.

As a place to live, well, different strokes.

You can't buy weather and it's decent there. Everything else, you can buy and it's the same as living anywhere else in America if you're rich.

Silly Burrito posted:

They have bad BBQ too

It's not great, but it's not North Carolina either

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Sucks to be U, W

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TreVeyon Henderson officially returning. Henderson/Judkins is an absurd RB pairing

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/cuppycup/status/1745899807518974133?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean Washington had half a stadium until like 10 years ago

What are you talking about lol

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Fuckin lol

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Truther Vandross posted:

TreVeyon Henderson officially returning. Henderson/Judkins is an absurd RB pairing

I really did expect tOSU to have way, way more pro/transfer portal departures than they've had so far. Is it mostly because they're trying to gather for One Final Year, or NIL considerations, or just lowered pro prospects?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

I really did expect tOSU to have way, way more pro/transfer portal departures than they've had so far. Is it mostly because they're trying to gather for One Final Year, or NIL considerations, or just lowered pro prospects?

I saw an article before the Cotton Bowl that some boosters were purportedly offering Henderson and Marvin NIL deals that would be equivalent in pay to NFL rookie contracts if they stayed. No idea how true that is though

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Kalen DeBoer wanted to turn UW into Alabama but just got to go to Alabama instead.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think Washington’s problem is really money, its location and a relatively low profile due to be sequestered in the PNW. They’re in pretty poor recruiting territory and location does still matter even in the age of NIL.

The west coast isn’t especially populous relative to the eastern half of the US so they just haven’t had a whole lot of visibility, though maybe the big 10 move improves that.

And as someone who moved from the south to the PNW college football just isn’t as big a deal out here. That’s not a knock, if anything it’s a good thing by most standards, but it does mean that you don’t get the “win at any cost” types of boosters and institutional support you do at the traditional powerhouses.

It’s the same thing with the Northeast, and to be honest for huge chunks of the US outside of the one specific region that coincidentally is the best at it

Also Bama is the best job in college football, I’m more surprised that Bama had to “settle” for DeBoer than him taking the job

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Little bit of everything. A lot of guys saw their stock go down a little either through production or injuries. Michigan’s title finally lit a fire under the donors when it comes to NIL. And the guys all really seem to like Ryan Day and want to win for him.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
On this vaunted day, I pray that Kalen DeBoer follows in the hallowed footsteps of his spirit animal Jimbo Fisher.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

GD_American posted:

You can't buy weather and it's decent there. Everything else, you can buy and it's the same as living anywhere else in America if you're rich.

I get what you’re trying to say but there’s a huge difference in quality of life and access to high end shops/restaurants/venues between the south and major cities.. Being rich in Alabama doesn’t magically mean you can get dinner at an insanely swanky sushi place lmao or even get like good Thai food or visit shops that only exist in 3 cities in this country. You can use your money to go visit those places but traveling to see a show or hang out with other famous people isn’t the same thing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
UW hasn't had issues with recruiting, they've been able to get decent recruits for awhile, often out of California if they're unable to recruit in-State.

UW football was huge in the early 90s, especially since the Mariners and Seahawks were awful then, and UW had a national championship program. The program lost a lot of interest in the 2010s with the invention of the Pac-12 network and Pac-12 after dark basically meaning some games went on until midnight. Now Seattle has the Seahawks, Mariners, and Kraken all vying around the same time as UW.

It can rise up if the TV deal with the B1G pays off. I definitely do thing some high profile coaches will be interested to replace Kalen, but a lot of work needs to be done, and this definitely sets us back. Sigh.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

seiferguy posted:

UW hasn't had issues with recruiting, they've been able to get decent recruits for awhile, often out of California if they're unable to recruit in-State.

That's a recruiting issue

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I get what you’re trying to say but there’s a huge difference in quality of life and access to high end shops/restaurants/venues between the south and major cities.. Being rich in Alabama doesn’t magically mean you can get dinner at an insanely swanky sushi place lmao or even get like good Thai food or visit shops that only exist in 3 cities in this country.

He’s spent most of his life in like South Dakota, I’m pretty sure Alabama is an upgrade

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Metapod posted:

That's a recruiting issue

Not really. California is huge and while all the 5-star glamor boys will go to USC before flaming out and transferring to Boise state, there are oodles of Harbaugh and Deboer-esqe 3 and 4-star guys to snag.

If Oregon is snagging in state guys that’s no different than Bama having four powers in its backyard.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Adun posted:

He’s spent most of his life in like South Dakota, I’m pretty sure Alabama is an upgrade

I mean, no? South Dakota is better than Alabama in a lot of ways particularly if you’re the type who likes being in a pretty rural area. Also that’s just glossing over the In between places he’s lived that are better than both.

Listen the gulf coast is loving awful, I wouldn’t wish having to live there on my worst enemy

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I feel bad for Washington fans, but at the same time, Washington is on Penn State's schedule now, so oh well. A weakened Washington is better for Penn State's playoff prospects.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Lmao penn states not doing poo poo regardless. They’ll have another solid defense with wins over weak programs and then flame out against anyone with a real team.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Not really. California is huge and while all the 5-star glamor boys will go to USC before flaming out and transferring to Boise state, there are oodles of Harbaugh and Deboer-esqe 3 and 4-star guys to snag.

If Oregon is snagging in state guys that’s no different than Bama having four powers in its backyard.

Yes really having no access to Texas Louisiana Florida is a recruiting issue.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Komet posted:

I feel bad for Washington fans, but at the same time, Washington is on Penn State's schedule now, so oh well. A weakened Washington is better for Penn State's playoff prospects.

Very Penn State to prey on a young group that lost its father figure.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Also, uhhh…

*points at James Franklin’s piss poor coaching*

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Metapod posted:

Yes really having no access to Texas Louisiana Florida is a recruiting issue.

Worked fine this year.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
The number of high caliber players hitting the portal already is kind of wild.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Lmao penn states not doing poo poo regardless. They’ll have another solid defense with wins over weak programs and then flame out against anyone with a real team.

USC, UCLA, and Washington are weak programs

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Komet posted:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I get what you’re trying to say but there’s a huge difference in quality of life and access to high end shops/restaurants/venues between the south and major cities.. Being rich in Alabama doesn’t magically mean you can get dinner at an insanely swanky sushi place lmao or even get like good Thai food or visit shops that only exist in 3 cities in this country. You can use your money to go visit those places but traveling to see a show or hang out with other famous people isn’t the same thing.

There's maybe 5-6 cities in the country that have anything you just can't get anywhere else (see that Tennessee Williams quote about New Orleans). We are an extremely homogenized society.

And if you're looking at the truly discerning cultural things that are genuinely geographically limited, I doubt a football coach and their family are going to be so culturally sophisticated enough for it to matter. The San Diego Zoo is far better than the Birmingham Zoo, sure, but they're both zoos. The St Louis Ballet is not the ABT, but is a 100hr a week coaching weirdo going to care? You can see plays at the Steppenwolf, or at the Hippodrome in Gainesville. A theater major will care about the difference, not a D-1 coach.

Tuscaloosa has decent-enough restaurants and Mercedes dealerships. If they cared about fine dining or cultural poo poo they'd be coaching in NYC, Chicago, or LA, and all three of those suck at college football.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
UW has a weirdo regional advantage of a pipeline of religious Pacific Islanders, it’s honestly a very underrated thing.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Worked fine this year.

as depressed as i am that i am now siding with you, my hated posting nemesis for one day a bit ago, like - yeah. im still here! gah!!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Komet posted:

So you saying Franklin’s Penn State might be able to beat them?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

GD_American posted:

There's maybe 5-6 cities in the country that have anything you just can't get anywhere else (see that Tennessee Williams quote about New Orleans). We are an extremely homogenized society.

And if you're looking at the truly discerning cultural things that are genuinely geographically limited, I doubt a football coach and their family are going to be so culturally sophisticated enough for it to matter. The San Diego Zoo is far better than the Birmingham Zoo, sure, but they're both zoos. The St Louis Ballet is not the ABT, but is a 100hr a week coaching weirdo going to care? You can see plays at the Steppenwolf, or at the Hippodrome in Gainesville. A theater major will care about the difference, not a D-1 coach.

Tuscaloosa has decent-enough restaurants and Mercedes dealerships. If they cared about fine dining or cultural poo poo they'd be coaching in NYC, Chicago, or LA, and all three of those suck at college football.

LA has USC

Zisky
May 6, 2003

GD_American posted:

Clearly he wasn't impressed by the Seattle Symphony (along with everyone else).

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Victorious Radia posted:

as depressed as i am that i am now siding with you, my hated posting nemesis for one day a bit ago, like - yeah. im still here! gah!!

Let’s go B1G, gently caress an SEC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

UW has a weirdo regional advantage of a pipeline of religious Pacific Islanders, it’s honestly a very underrated thing.

Never heard of this (I knew it was a big thing with BYU). Any historical reason?