Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Not sure what this friend thing is but I'm not about to start dabbling in it in my video games

It's about six young adults. The guy named Ross is a little too annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nuebot posted:

It does though? I guess it depends on the cutscene. Because I was using the balduran sword during the end of the game and my giant orc shimmying up the tentacle at the end was hilarious. Also a comparatively tiny Raphael angrily glaring up at her was fun.

Huh. Maybe it depends on exactly which effects are applied? I had Lae'zel using colossus elixirs for most of my last run and she always looked normal size in cutscenes.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

unattended spaghetti posted:

Anyhow, anything especially important I should get before wrapping? Not concerned about going back to act one, but I'm sick of this gloom so will be booking it toward the end of the act once I finish with this.

If you haven’t already, go to Moonrise, take advantage of the vendors there, and kill everyone so you can both complete the “free the hostages” quests and have an easy fight at the end before you take out Ketheric.

I quite like act 2, but that’s the main thing I’d make sure I’d done before moving on. Otherwise the raid is a pain in the rear end.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
1. How does Inspiration work exactly? I got the maximum 4 points early on (by indulging The Urge, baby) but I've never actually seen it go down unless doing consecutive rerolls. Does it fully reset to 4 after every long rest and Inspiration is just for exp now? Does it come out of storage and refills are limited?
2. (Don't answer if this is a real spoiler) The Dark Urge doesn't remember anything before the nautiloid, but there's still class and background dialogue options based on memories. Is this one of those player discretion moments where you're just not supposed to pick anything that is contradictory if you care about that, or are you gradually remembering your past?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Geekboy posted:

If you haven’t already, go to Moonrise, take advantage of the vendors there, and kill everyone so you can both complete the “free the hostages” quests and have an easy fight at the end before you take out Ketheric.

I quite like act 2, but that’s the main thing I’d make sure I’d done before moving on. Otherwise the raid is a pain in the rear end.

Did that. Cool and thank you. I like act ii as well but my girlfriend and I are going through this at a slow pace so having only the one vibe for a month straight kinda gets to us.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

mycot posted:

1. How does Inspiration work exactly? I got the maximum 4 points early on (by indulging The Urge, baby) but I've never actually seen it go down unless doing consecutive rerolls. Does it fully reset to 4 after every long rest and Inspiration is just for exp now? Does it come out of storage and refills are limited?
2. (Don't answer if this is a real spoiler) The Dark Urge doesn't remember anything before the nautiloid, but there's still class and background dialogue options based on memories. Is this one of those player discretion moments where you're just not supposed to pick anything that is contradictory if you care about that, or are you gradually remembering your past?

You only regain inspiration when somebody in your party gets one of those Inspiration pop ups. If you're at 4, feel free to use them so inspiration gains aren't wasted.

It's player discretion, basically. You can interpret it in different ways, especially after you learn more about what Durge's deal is. Nothing you get the option to pick in dialog is explicitly breaking anything in the story so go with what feels right to you.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any accessibility difficulty sliders in the console versions of BG3? I have a friend who this game would be an incredible match for, but he’ll drop something if it’s too demanding difficulty wise. I played on easy myself and still had some trouble towards the end, but I feel like my friend would need even more padding.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Thundarr posted:

Huh. Maybe it depends on exactly which effects are applied? I had Lae'zel using colossus elixirs for most of my last run and she always looked normal size in cutscenes.

Possibly, I might try messing with that to see in my next game.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

unattended spaghetti posted:

Did that. Cool and thank you. I like act ii as well but my girlfriend and I are going through this at a slow pace so having only the one vibe for a month straight kinda gets to us.

That makes a lot of sense. It’s a cool area that gives you a Big drat Hero quest to complete, but it’s dreary af (on purpose). I totally understand it getting to be a slog in that situation.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I have heard Friends being the downfall of so many honor mode runs. I think they should’ve made it have a penalty in balanced, a lot of people are straight up having their honour mode runs potentially wrecked by not realizing the consequences are making everyone aggro after 60 seconds

Consequently, enhance ability becomes much more valuable for social encounters as well as disguise self

This is what I think of everytime you guys talk about this lol

space uncle posted:

I felt stupid as poo poo when I tried to leap across the Hag’s room, only for Karlach to bump her head on something and take falling damage. drat you jump path - why didn’t you warn me this wasn’t going to work?

In Act 3 a Steel Watcher fighting my guys did the exact same thing, bonked a crane, fell to the ground ignominiously. Why does their AI love jumping so much.

One time my Tav was flying up to a high up ledge, but then Karlach decided to jump to the same spot at the same time. The game decided my flying TAV had no where to go, and dropped her into the chasm. I was like what the hell Karlach.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

exquisite tea posted:

The Orthon fight in Gauntlet of Shar is actually quite scary if you get surprised and his army of approx. 50 Merregons get a free turn on you.

this is why you play high charisma characters

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic posted:

Apparently other people have run into the same bug as me but it's really annoying: Shadowheart doesn't recognize that we picked up the Spear of Night in the Gauntlet of Shar Libary and she refuses to enter the final area without it even though she has it equipped. I tried dropping it and picking it up, giving it to another character and back to her, and even putting it back on the altar where I got it and having Shart pick it up but no matter what I do nothing seems to let her recognize that we actually have the quest item. Has anyone run into this and found a solution? It seems like I can't progress if I don't want to lose Shadowheart because of this bug. :(

Zirak posted:

So that reddit thread a few pages back seemed to conclude that a lot of these issues were caused by mods. Do you have any installed? If so it might be worth removing them if that's feasible just to see if it works afterwards. I believe the No Party Limit mod was one of the most common culprits.
EDIT: Only after the most recent hotfix, to be clear.

Entropic posted:

I didn’t THINK I had mods enabled because I’m used to Bethesda games where mods only apply if you launch the game from the mod manager, but apparently try BG3mod manager I got from nexus and messed around with briefly did actually put mods in my game permanently because I just did a new start and the extra hairstyle pack I downloaded was there.

So yeah, I disabled the like 3 minor mods I had forgot I had enabled, loaded the save, dropped the spear and picked it up again for good measure, and I was able to enter the Shadowfell without Shart complaining.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jose posted:

this is why you play high charisma characters

Dont forget to buff up wisdom to pass a background insight check during his song.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Playing a high charisma Barbarian so I can roar more formally and convincingly

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

buglord posted:

Are there any accessibility difficulty sliders in the console versions of BG3? I have a friend who this game would be an incredible match for, but he’ll drop something if it’s too demanding difficulty wise. I played on easy myself and still had some trouble towards the end, but I feel like my friend would need even more padding.

is he amenable to using a build from the internet? just give him a throw barbarian or paladin or monk build or something that doesnt have a lot of decision making for his MC, you can probably most fights on easy with a really good build

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

buglord posted:

Custom Difficulty should allow you to, in theory, make the game easier than even Explorer difficulty, and it should be available on consoles. If he does custom difficulty he can also adjust (most) of the sliders as he goes if he finds they're too easy/hard.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monathin posted:

Custom Difficulty should allow you to, in theory, make the game easier than even Explorer difficulty, and it should be available on consoles. If he does custom difficulty he can also adjust (most) of the sliders as he goes if he finds they're too easy/hard.

there's also a million mods out there that can give you as many crazy bonuses as you want, so getting stuck shouldn't be an issue

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
There is a mode called custom that lets you independently change a lot of particulars about how the game works. Can't remember all the different options but there are a bunch.

Just double confirming that the quest item thing is probably mod related because I just did the same section of the game with no issues on PS5.

I’m generally anti savescum, but girlfriend tried to convince Shadowheart not to kill Night Song, which backfired predictably. We killed her turn one. But neither of us wanted that outcome, and gf is romancing her, so we rolled that one back lol. It’s so cool this game lets you do something like that. We knew she could be deterred, since we got her the plant from the Underdark, and have been gently prodding her away from the Shar thing the whole game. I’m really excited for the second playthrough.

Now to take down Moonrise.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I’ve had zero issues on PS5

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Entropic posted:

So yeah, I disabled the like 3 minor mods I had forgot I had enabled, loaded the save, dropped the spear and picked it up again for good measure, and I was able to enter the Shadowfell without Shart complaining.

I have a lot of mods and my save loaded and progressed quests without issue, so it might be worth noting which ones you disabled, if that thread (or this one?) is trying to diagnose

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Who voiced He Who Was?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

AgentHaiTo posted:

This is what I think of everytime you guys talk about this lol

Apologies if this ends up making GBS threads up the thread but

Ross - Gale
Chandler - Astarion
Joey - Karlach
Rachel - Shadowheart
Monica - Wyll
Pheobe - Lae'zel

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

Always turn on turn-based after a fight ends and manually turn off concentration

Yeah there's a delay of like ten seconds between exiting turn-based mode (automatically) before you can turn it back on. One of my relatively few complaints about the game

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

jaete posted:

Yeah there's a delay of like ten seconds between exiting turn-based mode (automatically) before you can turn it back on. One of my relatively few complaints about the game

Another thing you can do is ungroup everyone during turn-based. It doesn't affect anything during combat, but afterwards, they just stand still so they won't charge directly into your Cloud of Daggers or whatever AOE thing you have up.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Dragonwagon posted:

Apologies if this ends up making GBS threads up the thread but

Ross - Gale
Chandler - Astarion
Joey - Karlach
Rachel - Shadowheart
Monica - Wyll
Pheobe - Lae'zel

I feel like Phoebe would be Karlach, cause she is always happy go lucky no matter what bad things happen. Although she'd be more of a bard.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

jaete posted:

Who voiced He Who Was?

My dude here sounds very Finnish (50 s in), can't find name in credits though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsDz-MTdNeE&t=50s

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Someone may have posted this before but today on tactician I brought along a druid and kept them on the cliff with the other party members below. Went into turn based mode, cast enlarge on the druid, and then wild shape into an owlbear. Then go to next character and open the lava and have Grym come out. When it cycles back to the druid do a fat boi body slam and kill him instantly. You have to land next to him and hit with AOE instead of directly on top of him.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just finished Act 2, what's a good party makeup when you're a Warlock? Obviously I'm blasting and making Hadars Hunger in bottlenecks, Karlach tanking and smashing and is so straightforwardly good I can't see myself dropping her. I've mostly had Astarion dealing damage, and maybe I've not figured out the stealth but he mostly deals decent damage with two swords and pistol crossbows. I've mostly had Shadow heart healing and some stuff like spirit weapon and sigils, and I just did the end of the act with Jaheira who didn't amaze. Perhaps I should respec someone?

At least Astarion can pick all the locks.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Warlocks like other people who can catch a power nap with them - aka Short Rest. Good classes for that are Monks (Ki recharges on short rest), Battle Master Fighters (Superiority Die recharge on Short Rest), and Bards (Bardic Inspiration recharges on Short Rest... after Level 5. They also give you one more Short Rest per day w/Song of Rest.)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What’s the best way to use Javiera (without multi classing), even leveled up to 9 she feels pretty underwhelming other than the wild shape to owl bear

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Monathin posted:

Warlocks like other people who can catch a power nap with them - aka Short Rest. Good classes for that are Monks (Ki recharges on short rest), Battle Master Fighters (Superiority Die recharge on Short Rest), and Bards (Bardic Inspiration recharges on Short Rest... after Level 5. They also give you one more Short Rest per day w/Song of Rest.)

Ah okay, might be time to talk to Withers about hirelings, or multiclassing the rest of the team.

And when I do my own bard playthrough it may be time to abide the company of Wyll and Lae'zel.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 13, 2024

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

lunar detritus posted:

What’s the best way to use Javiera (without multi classing), even leveled up to 9 she feels pretty underwhelming other than the wild shape to owl bear

I like taking Circle of the Land and just using her as a caster mostly.

Good bonus spells:

Level 3: I like arctic (Hold Person/Spike Growth). Hold person owns.

Level 5: Arctic again. Sleet Storm/Haste are excellent spells.

Level 7: Would probably go Desert here because I love Wall of Fire.

Level 9: Swamp for sure. Love cloud kill/insect plague.

During combats it would be relatively straight forward. Use those nasty concentration spells to either buff your party with haste or debilitate opponents with stuff like cloud kill and hold person or wall of fire. Mostly avoid wild shape but transform if Jaheira is threatened and needs the extra hp.

Make sure to take Warcaster so she can maintain concentration on her spells.

e: The other circle spells can be good too these are just my personal favorites.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Bit of a bitch move that they don't let you take both eye replacements at once! Especially since the one that's not the see invisibility one isn't very good :(

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

The Shame Boy posted:

Bit of a bitch move that they don't let you take both eye replacements at once! Especially since the one that's not the see invisibility one isn't very good :(

What's the other one?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

George Sex - REAL posted:

What's the other one?

The ones I know are Volo trying to get your tadpole out and replacing your right eye with an artefact that lets you see hidden stuff, and Auntie Ethel will offer to sort the tadpole out in return for loving with one of your eyes (your choice of side), although I think that's a debuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The eye from auntie is good for a face character, and then you can put Volo's on anybody else except for Wyll.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

lunar detritus posted:

Druids are powerful casters with a lot of control spells to shape the battlefield or buff others, but they can be tricky to use. It is especially a problem with Jaheira because you get her at the end of Act 2 and do not have much experience with her spell list. It's especially a problem because a lot of her cool stuff is concentration and she will get targeted by enemies until you gear her up to have her AC match other party members.

When I did a run where I needed a tank I rebuilt her as an oath of the ancients paladin, specialized her in dex with the yuanti armor and the two weapon fighting bracers, and she was pretty intuitive there. A ranger would be mechanically similar.

She's canonically a fighter/druid and there can be a spore druid build which is a melee power house.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 13, 2024

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

BizarroAzrael posted:

The ones I know are Volo trying to get your tadpole out and replacing your right eye with an artefact that lets you see hidden stuff, and Auntie Ethel will offer to sort the tadpole out in return for loving with one of your eyes (your choice of side), although I think that's a debuff.

But you get +1 intimidation and a one-time-only consumable that gives you advantage on all stat saving throws

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It makes sense that Balthazar is immune to an oathbreaker's Control Undead ability. Disappointing, but understandable. At least the Justiciar Crusader wasn't immune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Monathin posted:

I just did a run with Warlock main, Monk Karlach, Fighter Laezel, and Bard Astarion for max short rest efficiency and it was kind of hilarious.