Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Victorious Radia posted:

chicago is trivially the best city I've lived in, it's not even close

It's at the top of our "after the parents pass away" list for our next career stop. I seriously enjoyed that city so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Raku posted:

You guys are acting like the dudes making $100-200k

i know enough people to fill up a hand who "home base" in small towns and just get on their global express or gulfstream or whatever and get whatever experience they want and get back in the afternoon. they don't have the same lifestyle most of us on here do

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I've lived in Chicagoland for almost twenty years now and it's way too warm each winter and only trending warmer and is really annoying. I wish I could live in Minneapolis

Today we had a "snow day" with school cancelled and it snowed an inch overnight and just rained all day

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
gently caress Deboer. Completely blew up our program right as our conference gets blown up too. I've seen multiple kids transferring out including Rogers now too. What a week

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Manoueverable posted:

Is it better to have had the shot and blown it horribly, or to have never had the shot at all?

This isn’t a hypothetical for FSU fans, I remember eating poo poo at the end of the 2000 and 2014 seasons. I’d definitely rather do that than get left out.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hed posted:

i know enough people to fill up a hand who "home base" in small towns and just get on their global express or gulfstream or whatever and get whatever experience they want and get back in the afternoon. they don't have the same lifestyle most of us on here do

This is probably the best answer. You start getting into eight figure net wealth, the world shrinks and wherever it is you do your laundry becomes far less relevant.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

pillsburysoldier posted:

Such a better strategy than Shen Yun

I'm intrigued by the visuals of it, but my distaste for Falun Gong outweighs my distaste for the PRC.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

GD_American posted:

It's at the top of our "after the parents pass away" list for our next career stop. I seriously enjoyed that city so much

I grew up in St. Louis but moved away (to Kansas City, which I do also love) from ages 12-32. Been back in STL a couple of years and so I've taken a handful of trips up to Chicago for concerts, movies, friends, etc. It's so great. Trying my damnedest to get there for at least a while in the next couple of years.

edit: Oh my god gently caress parking though. What a nightmare city for parking.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can Chicago transport itself somewhere far away from the lake?

But then where would I swim?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

gently caress Deboer. Completely blew up our program right as our conference gets blown up too. I've seen multiple kids transferring out including Rogers now too. What a week

Yeah. Immediately a bunch of huskies are transferring and some recruits un-declaring.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kathmandu posted:

This isn’t a hypothetical for FSU fans, I remember eating poo poo at the end of the 2000 and 2014 seasons. I’d definitely rather do that than get left out.

100% this. That blowout against Oregon stung but it was exciting to get there.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah. Immediately a bunch of huskies are transferring and some recruits un-declaring.

I mean that’s a feature not a bug. And same thing us going to happen to whatever school you hire your new coach from

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Adun posted:

I mean that’s a feature not a bug. And same thing us going to happen to whatever school you hire your new coach from

Yeah I get it. And I love that it empowers students. It still stings to see the talent immediately implode.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

wandler20 posted:

100% this. That blowout against Oregon stung but it was exciting to get there.

Its way, way worse to get left out

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Program gutted, so what

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I know South Alabama has 1, at best 2 more years of Kane Wommack left, but damned if I'm not gonna enjoy more of this ride.

Imagine being the sugar daddy of a small-medium FBS school and telling the hotshit coach they eventually lucked into "sure you can go to Indiana for 3 million, or you can stay here at Directional State for five"

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Washington has had a pretty decent hit rate on head coaches and a good enough history to recruit well on the west coast. I think the Big Ten profile is higher too.

Obviously this a huge setback and I’m gutted for y’all but it wouldn’t surprise me if you managed to hire a pretty great replacement.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Can we break 120 points in Neyland next October

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://twitter.com/greg_byrne/status/1745945476841537658

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

lol

some guy on bluesky was talking about Brent, Alabama the other day and I was shocked to learn that the Twix and Tween is gone.

Is archibalds even around anymore?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yes it is and shame on you for even considering otherwise.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Also:

https://twitter.com/_nickkelly/status/1745992222418362763

Washington goons, was he a “y’all” guy before he got on that plane? I ain’t tolerating any of this Brian Kelly horseshit.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Warbird posted:

Also:

https://twitter.com/_nickkelly/status/1745992222418362763

Washington goons, was he a “y’all” guy before he got on that plane? I ain’t tolerating any of this Brian Kelly horseshit.

he's from South Dakota so i'm guessing he's said y'all before in his life

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

lol that's not even him

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

boy this has been a rollercoaster of a week for Oregon fans, Washington was always losing a lot next year but it sure is funny that DeBoer had a contract extension on his desk for a while this season and didn't sign it. hrm. wonder what his agent knew. Wonder who that agent also is the agent of. Anyways,

LeeMajors posted:

Washington has had a pretty decent hit rate on head coaches and a good enough history to recruit well on the west coast. I think the Big Ten profile is higher too.

Obviously this a huge setback and I’m gutted for y’all but it wouldn’t surprise me if you managed to hire a pretty great replacement.

obnoxiously this, Lake was the "right process, wrong result" situation, but again, their AD did the right thing but cutting bait early. DeBoer made a lot of sense, and similarly I'd trust Oregon's AD in case Lanning did leave, I do think Washington is setup to bring somebody else in.

I think I said it before but the bounce will be next season - UW got to the playoff and final this year, the interest will come out next year. And they always needed to reload considering how many players were gone after this year. I think they'll be fine, and it sounds like their collectives are good but without the one big booster (which honestly, positives/negatives to both). It absolutely pains me to say, they should be ok.

Seattle sports in general is fickle as hell - it's like a cold Miami. Mariners bad? they'll draw for Boston/Yankees, but nobody else. Mariners good? Packed houses. Seahawks have a higher floor, but they've also had Pete for 14 seasons and that helped bring a previously unheard of level of hype to the team. Even that 2006 Super Bowl run wasn't as loud, though that's also to do with how much of the conversation the NFL takes now.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

anything cool happen today

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

northwestern hired an offensive line coach

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Edna Mode posted:

lol that's not even him

lmao

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

i did appreciate that deboer was hi-fiving folks through barbed wire when he actually did show up tho

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kalen de forge

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah I'm gonna turn off the snooze button and see y'all in three years for the next coach. I don't have the desire to sit through the lifecycle of some Connor McBryceCaden named rear end coach

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://x.com/awfulannouncing/status/1745937542804127962

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
lmao at goons acting like they wouldn't live in shithole x for 10m/y

besides, the coaches aren't concerned about area culture or food or whatever, they're having a chicken wrap from the training kitchen delivered to their office while they stress over breaking down film or that they've only texted a recruit 12 times today when they're sure that someone else has texted them 13 times or how much NIL money they're going to have to beg boosters for. the world outside of the football center barely exists for most of them once you reach the top level

"but what about the wives and children" you fret well that's where the 10m/y comes in handy

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Liam Coen is reportedly interviewing with the Bears for the OC position, along with a few others. If he gets it and leaves, that would mean 5 OCs in 5 years for Kentucky. Would probably also mean losing some of the transfers and current players that are here for him. I'd hate to lose him (again) because it sure would be nice to have some continuity on that side of the ball at some point.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

C. Everett Koop posted:

besides, the coaches aren't concerned about area culture or food or whatever, they're having a chicken wrap from the training kitchen delivered to their office while they stress over breaking down film or that they've only texted a recruit 12 times today when they're sure that someone else has texted them 13 times or how much NIL money they're going to have to beg boosters for. the world outside of the football center barely exists for most of them once you reach the top level

"but what about the wives and children" you fret well that's where the 10m/y comes in handy

i mean it's 10m/y vs ~8m/y. we're all not sociopaths so we'd take the 8m/yr in a better location

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Liam Coen is reportedly interviewing with the Bears for the OC position, along with a few others. If he gets it and leaves, that would mean 5 OCs in 5 years for Kentucky. Would probably also mean losing some of the transfers and current players that are here for him. I'd hate to lose him (again) because it sure would be nice to have some continuity on that side of the ball at some point.

don't worry if he is at all competent he won't be hired by the bears

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Will Rogers needs to come back to the SEC and set some more conference passing records.
I recently learned that there are Publix in Tuscaloosa so they got that going for them.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

I don’t think it can be overstated to what degree college head coaches are living in bubbles of their own making. Where they live and work the priorities are not the same as a normal person who has a 9-5 and interests outside of work.

On a podcast recently there was a story of a coach who had never heard of cruises - like, the entire concept of a Caribbean or Mediterranean cruise. Completely foreign concept. Considering how hard it is to grind your way up to being a head coach at a top job, that is not a shock.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Lol at city chat. It is college loving football, friends.

How many high profile jobs are even in or near a top tier city? USC, Husky, Stanford? Then the next step is “upper tier college town” like Ann Arbor or Austin.

I don’t think you are going to find a lot of Michelin star sushi places in Columbus, OH, Athens GA, Baton Rouge, South Bend, State College (PA or TX), Norman etc.

If living in a fancy city were the primary consideration these guys would be in a different field than college football, how nice the city is is way down the list compared to “how well set up is this place to support me recruiting players and winning national titles?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Declan MacManus posted:

https://twitter.com/KrisJenkinsJr1/status/1745988738747093452

https://twitter.com/RealTonyGarcia/status/1745885516782825606

tbh I'm checking every one of Michigan's departures trying to figure out if they were expected to go, or jumping to the NFL earlier than planned, or transfer portaling, there needs to be like some "expected/unexpected" tracker