Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One interesting thing about the strategy of mixing decaf into a fixed about of normal coffee is that the concentration follows a half life. In the same interval it takes to go from 100% to 50% you'll go from 50% to 25% and you never truly get to a fully decaf mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
oh no, a coffee homeopath

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

oh no, a coffee homeopath

lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've quit coffee multiple times for long periods of time due to stomach problems and I always go back to it because I just loving love the taste. I've also had doctors comment that i've given up too much due to my stomach problems and if I can tolerate coffee then just go for it.

Anyway ive never really gotten caffeine headaches or anything like that when ive quit. I just crave the flavor.

I just keep it at 2 cups a day though and brew using a mokapot on the stove so I dont get tempted to make more than I can tolerate.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Pingui posted:

Very thorough study trying to determine the cause of post-exertional malaise (PEM), as well as defining the condition in biological terms. I have tried cutting it down as much as I could (still a bit unsure if I should have kept the amyloid deposit stuff in; I'll just note that they were outside the vessels indicating they didn't form microclots), but nevertheless it is pretty long. Pretty pictures though and that's gotta count for something :P
"Muscle abnormalities worsen after post-exertional malaise in long COVID"

News article on the matter:

Results relate to the study posted here:

Oh good, someone did post this study, anyway just wanted to pipe in and say that these findings of mitochondrial dysfunction mirror exactly the things they were finding in ME/CFS patients back in the late '80s/early '90s before the Wessely people took over and monopolized research dollars for decades. Whoopsie crumbles.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Seeing a lot of covid encephalopathy patients, which I haven't seen at all up until this point. Must be a hallmark of endemic, nature is healing.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Going on a rant about how much nobody cares, kinda makes it seem like you yourself do. She is the associate editor. For a fun time try reading just the bolded parts of the main text first:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/13/the-covid-extremists-cant-bear-that-nobody-is-listening/ posted:

The Covid extremists can’t bear that nobody is listening to them
The usual suspects are obsessing over the latest coronavirus data. The good news is that few seem to care

Covid is back, and so are the Covid extremists. We are once again witnessing demands for the return of face masks in hospitals on social media, even in newspaper leader columns, though there is little evidence they prevented the spread of the virus in the first place.

The call comes after masks were made mandatory in hospitals and healthcare centres in Spain this week following a surge in respiratory illnesses. Spain’s minority coalition government imposed the measures despite opposition from many of Spain’s 17 autonomous regions, who argued the measures should be recommended but not obligatory.

In the UK, the usual suspects are once again sharing all the latest coronavirus data. Remember the R-rate? It’s currently 1.06, apparently. The lockdown zealots are also back posting graphs of Covid hospital admissions in England, which have increased by 7 per cent in a week (although acute bed occupancy has remained flat).

Because our intensive care departments aren’t overflowing, they have been forced to downplay the fact that few people are getting seriously ill from Covid, choosing instead to talk up the risks of long Covid.

What’s interesting about all this fretting is that no one really seems to care any more. Perhaps it’s the effect of a Christmas plagued by three different viruses: flu, the JN.1 variant of Covid and rhinovirus, which causes the common cold.

The latest data suggests that respiratory infections have been steadily rising since the summer in all age groups, but particularly among those aged between five and 14 who are then transmitting these infections to other family members.

Was it just me, or did everyone seem to have some sort of cough or cold over the festive period? And yet there was no widespread panic, presumably to the dismay of the face-mask fanatics.

The nation has reverted, it seems, to the rational position of accepting that people do just get ill sometimes, and in the most extreme cases, they unfortunately die.

Life expectancy may be down – not just because of people dying with Covid but because of it. The excess deaths figures suggest that it was lockdowns – which some Covid fanatics would have us live with in perpetuity – that wrought terrible damage on our health. We need to move on.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Edit: I don't think this article is correct. At the time of writing this, I am seeing reports of 19 co-infection cases in Paraguay in total.

They are what now?? (Prensa Latina is the official Cuban state news agency)

https://www.plenglish.com/news/2024/01/11/paraguayan-hospital-beds-full-of-dengue-and-covid-19-cases/ posted:

Paraguayan hospital beds full of dengue and Covid-19 cases

Paraguay has 80% of its hospital beds occupied by cases of the so-called "co-infection" of dengue and Covid-19, which concentrates both diseases in the same patient, ABC TV reports.

The growing spread of the two diseases several weeks ago, which has already resulted in the first four deaths, is causing alarm, exponentially increasing the double disease and causing an accelerated demand for capacity in medical centers, the Ministry of Public Health added.

Many of these first cases of patients affected with dengue and Covid-19 at the same time are waiting for attention in various hospitals of the country, as their number exceeds the existing capacities, the institution added, according to the TV station.

The head of the Ministry of Health, María Teresa Barán, informed that About 1,000 cases of dengue and another 1,000 of Covid-19 are detected every week, whose co-infection is proliferating in all sectors of the population, especially among children and adolescents, .

Pingui has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Jan 14, 2024

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
New normal stuff.

https://euroweeklynews.com/2024/01/12/spains-funeral-services-struggle-amid-flu-and-covid-deaths/ posted:

Spain’s funeral services struggle amid flu and covid deaths
(..)
Rising death toll challenges services
As of late January, funeral homes are sounding the alarm over their capacity to manage the increasing number of deaths.

Manuel Tejadas, the head of operations in Catalonia for the Interfunerarias funeral services chain, expressed his concern: ‘We are overwhelmed. I have not seen such a spike in deaths since the pandemic.’

This sentiment is echoed across various regions including Madrid and the Valencian Community, with reports of bodies piling up in hospitals.
(..)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Going on a rant about how much nobody cares, kinda makes it seem like you yourself do. She is the associate editor. For a fun time try reading just the bolded parts of the main text first:

They achieved a complete and utter route of the forces of public health, and still they are not happy.

They’re going to have to go out and chase novel and exciting zoonoses to get that high back.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pingui posted:

This news item is making the rounds:

And let me be perfectly clear that it is an idiotic number to trot out, if you wanted to emphasize the sizeable threat, as it is an actively insane low-balling. As mentioned in the post below, the latest complete data point for the US is from the week ending 9 December, in which 1614 people died. If that had been at a wave plateau that would be 6000+ for the US alone, which it wasn't.

I wanted to revert back to this. Now that it has made the rounds across the globe (trust me, there are so, so many articles with the bullshit 10k deaths in the headline). I wanted to highlight that this article from yesterday has gotten updated (or finalized I guess):

Pingui posted:

Everything about this is great. Good job WHO!

Holy poo poo! Are we finally getting a new variant??

To now include this line:

quote:

Of the 10,000 COVID deaths reported to the WHO in December, “more than half were from the U.S., and 1,000 were from Italy,” she added. “We are missing deaths in countries from around the world. Just because countries aren’t reporting deaths doesn’t mean they’re not happening.”

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Dren posted:

and the flu helped me lose so much weight!

yeah, but the gold standard for that is still cancer+chemo

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

yeah, but the gold standard for that is still cancer+chemo

meth + vibrating bead suit

RIDE THE SNAKE

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steve Yun posted:

(..)
people with better communication skills than us are out there in the trenches

Reading some of the comments is a weird wild ride. Overwhelmingly positive, it is still shocking to see so many people receptive to the message just completely oblivious to COVID still existing. Heartening in a sense, but also absolutely infuriating.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Pingui posted:

I kind of fear that politicians in most nations are so gunshy about doing any kind of intervention at this point that a medical establishment seriously pushing for a new variant designation may find its funding suddenly threatened. Capital continued to pull in the most wealth it ever has in human history during a brief couple of months where economic activity fell by double digits, but a bunch of billionaires got upset that office buildings were empty and a police station or two burned down so shrug

''Is covid over if I have to keep publishing articles about it' is answered by the articles I publish every year about how Covid is over' dril-tweet-rear end energy

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pingui posted:

still chuckling at this level of precision from any agency that is so self important

"I dunno, uh, between two and nineteen times what we have confirmed?"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I kind of fear that politicians in most nations are so gunshy about doing any kind of intervention at this point that a medical establishment seriously pushing for a new variant designation may find its funding suddenly threatened. Capital continued to pull in the most wealth it ever has in human history during a brief couple of months where economic activity fell by double digits, but a bunch of billionaires got upset that office buildings were empty and a police station or two burned down so shrug

''Is covid over if I have to keep publishing articles about it' is answered by the articles I publish every year about how Covid is over' dril-tweet-rear end energy

You are right - of course - but there is a different variable involved, which is that if hospitals get overrun due to a specific and new variant, you have to note it as aberrant or you lose your authority and thus power (to minimize). I feel the WHO is getting closer to giving a new name, because their protestations have substantially increased the last short while, indicating some kind of pressure that they have to respond to.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My doctor left me this message “CPAP it looked like you had clearly needed it years ago I don't know whether it was stopped or whether you were noncompliant or you didn't need any more , but I'm not sure whether I could just . Started up again This is America and I'll probably want you to retest”

Like I haven’t spent years talking to him about this

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Even if the WHO gives out a new variant Greek name (Pi or Rho) and the news immediately plaster the airwaves with stories about the new variant, it won't change anything. The message will still be "get vaccinated and wash your hands" there will still be no mask mandates anywhere. Life will just continue as it always did for the past years.

But at least we can finally stop calling it Omicron

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

quote:

We need to move on.

lol we’ve been “moved on” for four years and poo poo keeps getting worse

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
People ask for a new variant, a finger on the monkey's paw curls .....

Pingui posted:

They are what now?? (Prensa Latina is the official Cuban state news agency)

quote:

https://www.plenglish.com/news/2024/01/11/paraguayan-hospital-beds-full-of-dengue-and-covid-19-cases/ posted:

Paraguayan hospital beds full of dengue and Covid-19 cases

Paraguay has 80% of its hospital beds occupied by cases of the so-called "co-infection" of dengue and Covid-19, which concentrates both diseases in the same patient, ABC TV reports.

Boom, covidengue-19

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People ask for a new variant, a finger on the monkey's paw curls .....

Boom, covidengue-19

dengue xiaoping

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
a friend of a friend is trying to get moth’d in western MA before she moves out of
country. most places are out; those that have it won’t give it to her because she got boosted with mRNA in the early fall. any advice?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lie

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:canada:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/national/older-immunocompromised-people-may-get-covid-19-vaccine-dose-in-spring-naci-says posted:

Older, immunocompromised people may get COVID-19 vaccine dose in spring, NACI says
National Advisory Committee on Immunization says it will be especially important for people to get the XBB shot if they didn't get one in the fall or winter.

Canada’s National Advisory Committee on Immunization says some groups of people vulnerable to severe illness from COVID-19 should be eligible for another dose of vaccine in the spring.

The recommendation issued Friday says people 65 and older, residents of long-term care homes and seniors living in other congregate settings may get another shot of the vaccine targeted to the XBB.1.5 variant.

It also says children and adults aged six months and older who are moderately to severely immunocompromised due to an underlying condition may also get the booster.

The advisory committee is issuing the spring recommendation now to help public health vaccine program planning.

It says it will be especially important for people to get the XBB shot if they didn’t get one in the fall or winter.

As of early December, only 15 per cent of people in Canada had received the XBB-targeted vaccine.

Three such vaccines are available in Canada — two mRNA vaccines manufactured by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna and a non-mRNA vaccine manufactured by Novavax.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Containbert posted:

I'm investigating installing reverse cycle air conditioning in a house.

Is it possible to setup the AC system such that filters are installed so that any covid particles moving in the AC system get filtered out before they cycle back into the household?

Alternatively, is it possible to install an AC system such that you can:
1. keep the AC running in both rooms
2. Keep one room negative pressure isolated
3. Not leak covid between rooms through the AC

multizone mini-split stays winning

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Petey posted:

a friend of a friend is trying to get moth’d in western MA before she moves out of
country. most places are out; those that have it won’t give it to her because she got boosted with mRNA in the early fall. any advice?

how Western and how badly does she want it because I got it here with no interrogation whatsoever.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/1cRNPkX4SAqoXmF27

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Petey posted:

I recently got mothed here in the US after getting mRNA in the fall. I was asked no questions whatsoever regarding my immunity. I answered the patient intake form truthfully which did not include any indication I would be eligible for a second dose of Fall 2023 recipe juice. However I did come armed with the following website just in case: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/interim-considerations-us.html#immunocompromised

Text from the relevant section:
People can self-attest to their moderately or severely immunocompromised status and receive COVID-19 vaccine doses wherever vaccines are offered. Vaccinators should not deny COVID-19 vaccination to a person due to lack of documentation.

Anyone in the US should be able to get vaxxed every 2 months no questions asked. Anything beyond that is gatekeeping that does not align with federal policy. I'm not sure how well showing this to a pharmacist would work, however. Seems like a frustratingly ymmv situation overall.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

NeonPunk posted:

Even if the WHO gives out a new variant Greek name (Pi or Rho) and the news immediately plaster the airwaves with stories about the new variant, it won't change anything. The message will still be "get vaccinated and wash your hands" there will still be no mask mandates anywhere. Life will just continue as it always did for the past years.

But at least we can finally stop calling it Omicron

It will at least mean I don’t look like a crazy person to loved ones when I insist JN.1 is as different from Omicron as Omi was from Delta.

It makes it really hard to argue for continued masking when you just sound like all the other facebook PhDs

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

silicone thrills posted:

I've quit coffee multiple times for long periods of time due to stomach problems and I always go back to it because I just loving love the taste. I've also had doctors comment that i've given up too much due to my stomach problems and if I can tolerate coffee then just go for it.

Anyway ive never really gotten caffeine headaches or anything like that when ive quit. I just crave the flavor.

I just keep it at 2 cups a day though and brew using a mokapot on the stove so I dont get tempted to make more than I can tolerate.

I got a pour over for Christmas and now I just drink coffee 1000% of the time.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://x.com/stillgray/status/171314916207247360?s=20

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

:hf:

I've been on the mokapot bandwagon the last couple of years for the same reason. I go Americana style with 2/5 coffee 2/5 hot water 1/5 half & half. they make real good coffee.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

second biggest wave but we have good population immunity

:confused:

how the gently caress does that work you dumb assholes?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oh crap. The surge is real bad. I just saw a white police man wearing a moldex n95 mask 😳

Granted, his partner isn't wearing anything but still.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I've noticed an uptick of liberals we know on Instagram / Facebook lecturing about COVID still being dangerous, and then in the next post they're at a restaurant or maskless at a concert lol. It's beautiful. People know, they just don't give a poo poo. It won't happen to them.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

quote:

Updated 1-10-23, 2:52 pm EST: March 2024 will mark the start of the fifth year of the pandemic, not the fourth, as previously implied.

Many people are saying this.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I've noticed an uptick of liberals we know on Instagram / Facebook lecturing about COVID still being dangerous, and then in the next post they're at a restaurant or maskless at a concert lol. It's beautiful. People know, they just don't give a poo poo. It won't happen to them.
I hear covid causes memory loss.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Animal-Mother posted:

So apparently I can't get an appointment to see "my" doctor for a possible sports hernia until JUNE. I asked the office person if I should just go to the ER or urgent care and they said yeah.

This poo poo is hosed.

i was going to neighorcare when I was on Apple health and well i have kept going there because my prescribing doctor for blood pressure is there, and they have checked my other stuff out like a rash, doing bloodwork and taken care of them. always been able to get an appointment within 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
day 5 of symptoms - i am very, very grateful i started antivirals as soon as I did. the RAT on day 1 was so light I was afraid telemedicine wouldn't accept it.

day 1 nasal swab - completely negative

day 1 nasopharyngeal swab - lightest positive ive ever had

day 2 nasopharyngeal swab - lighting up like a christmas tree before the control even comes fully in, worst day of symptoms by far

day 5 nasal swab (those "gentle shallow nasal swab" tests school keeps giving us) - negative

day 5 nasopharyngeal swab - oops, all covid

likely feeling much better due to the paxlovid. disease was steadily progressing until I got a day's doses behind me. now, no headache, some post-nasal drip, no aches, no fever, more energy every day, etc.

if I wasn't actively looking out for other signs (my resting heartbeat is at 100 lol), it's really understandable that people at this stage think, oh, i'm ready to go 100% back now.

Hell, even if someone was testing, those nasal swabs all tell me I'm totally clean, and never even had covid! how many people are actually testing low and slow at home?

better news than the "i think i've avoided 2 months of career-loving brain fog this time" is that the rest of the family is still symptom free and negative on tests