Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah and that's another advantage of LSFG: it's just on all the time

assuming LSFG is good enough to avoid the artifacts that AFMFs mouse hack is designed to mitigate, it's not an accident that it does that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

doesn't AFMF still disable itself when you move the mouse too quickly, basically defeating the whole point of framegen
pretty decent for more immersive cutscenes in bg3 i imagine, but it's probably situational without any of that being clear to the average user

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

following-up on Lossless Scaling's frame generation - I'm back on my desktop, and using it to drive a 60 FPS image to 120 on my 144Hz monitor looks quite good, and isn't anywhere near nausea-inducing as 30 -> 60

you can still see the UI artifacts, but as Hardware Unboxed said, it's a lot less noticeable because the interstitial frame is only there for a much smaller fraction of a second. I don't really notice the input lag, either

it's a nice way to squeeze out more frames on Starfield and Cyberpunk

Well I just tried it on my GTX 1070 and an N5100 laptop and scaling + FG lowers the FPS instead of doubling it lol.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Have there been any experiments with combining frame generation and overscan? If you rendered 10% more pixels around the border of the screen and used that data for future frames it seems like it would help with the 'extrapolate from nothing' problem on the edges of the picture.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Gonna post this in the right thread this time.

I'm assuming a 4070Ti Super will do great with a VR headset with the current MSFS, but are there any takers about how that might change with the oncoming 2024 edition? That's about the only regular thing I can count on where I'll want that kind of performance (outside of being an idiot doing 3d game stuff of my own).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think they are listing the same requirements for MSFS2024? So I'd guess a 4070tiSuper would be a good pick, though your CPU is important here too.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Gonna post this in the right thread this time.

I'm assuming a 4070Ti Super will do great with a VR headset with the current MSFS, but are there any takers about how that might change with the oncoming 2024 edition? That's about the only regular thing I can count on where I'll want that kind of performance (outside of being an idiot doing 3d game stuff of my own).

As mentioned above, as long as your CPU is up to snuff, you should be fine.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://videocardz.com/newz/cooler-master-shows-off-prototype-gpu-cooler-with-two-fans

After many years of people trying to attach case fans to graphics card heatsinks using a variety of janky methods, Cooler Master may finally be stepping in with an actual marketable product. I can't really tell how this thing is attached, but it's an interesting concept.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's funny to me that some of the biggest developments in PC land recently have been the improvements in the design of fans. Sorely needed, absolutely!

Between that coolermaster thing and the case fans that just magnetically snap together there are some really neat things coming out.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is it just like the old slot based gpu coolers except a bit closer to the card?

I had one of those plus a bunch of janky case fan stuff around my wonky 2080 when I was trying to get it to stop running so hot while also sounding loud as gently caress. Never seemed to make much difference so eventually I ripped off the heatsink the card came with and replaced it with a hacked aio cooler that was janky but it’s still running quiet and cool today.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

30mm thick fans are beginning to catch on as well, corsair announced their take on them

still waiting for phanteks to deliver the t30-140 though

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's wrong with zip ties

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Posted this q a couple pages ago but didn't get any replies:

Are some GPUs so tall that you can't close the case? Saw this claim in a comment section somewhere - gpu being so tall, power connector taking up space, 35mm clearance needed - so that you can't have the side panel on the case on? Is that a real issue?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PirateBob posted:

Posted this q a couple pages ago but didn't get any replies:

Are some GPUs so tall that you can't close the case? Saw this claim in a comment section somewhere - gpu being so tall, power connector taking up space, 35mm clearance needed - so that you can't have the side panel on the case on? Is that a real issue?

That can happen, yes. Part of the reason why there's a demand for 90 degree special power connectors for the rtx 4000 series was because some people didn't have the clearance to plug in from the side and still have clearance to the case

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It depends on the case. Some cases are definitely too narrow for the biggest graphics cards. A lot of early 4090 buyers weren't ready for this, and you saw a lot of pictures of computers with their side panels removed because they could no longer be shut with their new GPUs installed.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/cooler-master-shows-off-prototype-gpu-cooler-with-two-fans

After many years of people trying to attach case fans to graphics card heatsinks using a variety of janky methods, Cooler Master may finally be stepping in with an actual marketable product. I can't really tell how this thing is attached, but it's an interesting concept.

Personally I used a 3D CAD Software to model a shroud for my gpu with correct mounting holes. Unscrew the default fan shroud off from the cooler, add in my custom shroud with 2x120mm fans - works fine.

I had never done any cad work earlier but with some trial & error it was perfectly doable.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It depends on the case. Some cases are definitely too narrow for the biggest graphics cards. A lot of early 4090 buyers weren't ready for this, and you saw a lot of pictures of computers with their side panels removed because they could no longer be shut with their new GPUs installed.

Can you please link me to a case that's too narrow and one that's broad enough for a 4090?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I think I mentioned this in passing a while back in this thread, but I had to do a 4090 build for work, and they provided me with a 4ru rack case and we ended up sending the case lid to fabrications department to cut a hole in the case where the power cables jutted out because the rig needed to leave a few hours later and I had basically no notice.

They just bought me a 5ru Silverstone rm51 rack case to rehouse that rig "correctly" so that it looks more professional.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
4070 super slightly better than originally listed

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1746152007184838899

quote:

The official specs listed in the review guide show 36 MB for the size of L2 cache for RTX 4070 SUPER model. This information was also present in official marketing slides. However, NVIDIA has now updated the specs to confirm this model is actually using 48 MB of L2 cache. No other change was reported.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Any idea as to when we will get benchmarks?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Any idea as to when we will get benchmarks?

16th, 23rd, 30th the embagro lifts.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

PirateBob posted:

Can you please link me to a case that's too narrow and one that's broad enough for a 4090?

I've got a Lian-Li o11d-xl that certainly looks like it should be wide enough, but I couldn't close the side panel and had to get a vertical gpu mount for it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the trouble with the O11s is they're partitioned into two chambers so the width for the gpu isn't as much as it appears

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gigabyte's 4090s were the worst offenders, with the Aorus Master model being especially hilarious:

If you include clearance needed for the 12VHPWR cable, you need a case with something like 185mm of clearance to fit that thing in, which rules out a poo poo ton of midtowers. Some cases that should be big enough for this card anyway are the Lian Li Lancool III and Lancool 216, or the Fractal Design Torrent. Though it might be a tight fit. A 90-degree cable adapter is recommended with a card that big no matter what, in my opinion.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 13, 2024

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
having a gigabyte gaming oc 4090 and a fractal torrent, i can confirm that even despite how massive this card is the case has tons of spare room in it. temps are also insanely good, card never goes above 70 C even pegged to the power limit

Shipon fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 13, 2024

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

hark posted:

Kind of a broad question, but I'm having an issue: using a 4090 to send signal out of resolume to an LED wall (theatrixx xvision nomad 2.5) that was pretty big, everything went fine, but on day 3 of it running, started getting some flickering and artifacts happening. Then this past Friday, got the same issue on just a regular 4k monitor, with no LED wall. This is all according to the techs who were on site with this machine. I have not been able to recreate the issue with stress tests or anything else. Any ideas on what this could be?

So I looked at your posts ITT to see if you’d responded to anybody and saw this:

hark posted:

I had to build a rig for work inside what I thought was a relatively large server rack mount pc case. they bought a 4090 to add to it because they wanted to do 4 x 4k signals at one time. ok whatever, I'm just building it so I don't care about what it can or can't do. saw the 4090 for the first time irl and its comically big. put everything together and then realize that while the card just barely fits in the case, the lid now won't close. have the fabrication department cut a hole in the lid just for the stupid proprietary power jumper thing to jut out 2 inches and bend back down. I wouldn't normally do this as a solution, but this thing needs to be deployed basically 3 hours after I hear about it, so I worked with what I had. the 40 series cards are absolutely ridiculous in size.

I’m betting that it’s a heat related issue. I’d have one of your techs put it under load and see if the artifacting appears relative to temperature (monitor the temps to see where it’s at too).

I had a similar issue with my refurb 2080Ti (not the size of the case but the artifacting) and the thermal pads/paste were poo poo. Tore it down and replaced the paste and pads and it’s been solid for four years now. Not saying that’s the issue for you, but having that beast of a card with no airflow is a recipe for a bad time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I have a Fractal Torrent and a MPG B650 CARBON, both of which seem to be designed under the assumption that one day you will want to put a single 5-slot sized graphics card in there.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

tehinternet posted:

So I looked at your posts ITT to see if you’d responded to anybody and saw this:

I’m betting that it’s a heat related issue. I’d have one of your techs put it under load and see if the artifacting appears relative to temperature (monitor the temps to see where it’s at too).

I had a similar issue with my refurb 2080Ti (not the size of the case but the artifacting) and the thermal pads/paste were poo poo. Tore it down and replaced the paste and pads and it’s been solid for four years now. Not saying that’s the issue for you, but having that beast of a card with no airflow is a recipe for a bad time.

I would also suggest moving to a Nvidia NVS or Matrox if no 3d render is required, there is a lot of power and heat getting produced for nothing if that's the case.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Is it dumb to buy a 4080s in 2024

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Sorbus posted:

Give it two weeks to see how the new Super cards stack up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sorbus posted:

Always has been

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

SlowBloke posted:

I would also suggest moving to a Nvidia NVS or Matrox if no 3d render is required, there is a lot of power and heat getting produced for nothing if that's the case.

This most recent project was pushing an oddly shaped video out of resolume to an analog way aquillon rs4, then to an oddly shaped huge led wall. According to the techs, we needed 4 x 4k outputs for the content.

We own some matrox stuff, but nothing that could do what was required here.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Sorbus posted:

it always comes down to what you're upgrading from

i have a 1070, and any upgrade is going to make perfect sense, as long as it's not just for 1080p gaming

the 50-series might also have mcm, and who knows how that's gonna go

unless you really, really hope for an improvement to displayport or the power connectors, it's fine to just get the supers now. if you get an msi or asus card, you'll generally also get two hdmi 2.1 ports instead of just one, unless the founder's editions also have them now

e: i'd also maybe wait and see how this twitch av1 transcoding partnership works out, there's way to much weasely language in the press releases so far

kliras fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 14, 2024

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

kliras posted:

it always comes down to what you're upgrading from

i have a 1070, and any upgrade is going to make perfect sense, as long as it's not just for 1080p gaming

the 50-series might also have mcm, and who knows how that's gonna go

unless you really, really hope for an improvement to displayport or the power connectors, it's fine to just get the supers now. if you get an msi or asus card, you'll generally also get two hdmi 2.1 ports instead of just one, unless the founder's editions also have them now

I am using a 1080ti with a 1440p 165hz monitor. First I planned to wait until 5000 series but got some AAA games I’d like to play with high settings and good fps.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
SUPER GAMING X SLIM

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1746511878946197527

i'm just imagining senator armstrong saying these product names out loud at this point

apparently "mlg" is msi's dragon logo as an anime waifu on the backplate, will wonders never cease

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I've heard conflicting rumors about the 5000 series using MCM. Some say it's still monolithic and just incremenetal improvements, while others say it's a big overhaul with multiple chiplets

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

kliras posted:

SUPER GAMING X SLIM

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1746511878946197527

i'm just imagining senator armstrong saying these product names out loud at this point

apparently "mlg" is msi's dragon logo as an anime waifu on the backplate, will wonders never cease

Glad to see Lucky is thriving after her transition.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sorbus posted:

I really don't think the 5000 series is coming out until 2025.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

hark posted:

This most recent project was pushing an oddly shaped video out of resolume to an analog way aquillon rs4, then to an oddly shaped huge led wall. According to the techs, we needed 4 x 4k outputs for the content.

We own some matrox stuff, but nothing that could do what was required here.

If it's just output, even an intel arc a380 will provide four 4k links, after all matrox uses the same silicon for their luma a380 boards, i would try fetching one and see if the heat issues are still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Running Furmark for 15 minutes is probably fine to test a GPU, right? No problems detected in device, runs great