Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Since you all seem to have opinions about places, someone find me some food BBQ in NC. I’ve eaten all over and have yet to find anything memorable. That’s not elitism either, it’s all been extremely mid at best and I’d murder for some good BBQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

C. Everett Koop posted:

lmao at goons acting like they wouldn't live in shithole x for 10m/y

i definitely am taking an active pay malus for living in detroit instead of one of the coastals

this isn't really a brag. actually it's more whining. i want more money. Do you have any

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/GVGojo/status/1745222263878848896
But for daboer

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

post hole digger posted:

the maroons havent been in the big 10 for years my friend

and it makes me very sad. all we had was insanely difficult academics and all we did for fun was talk about Thucycides and Bohr's constant

Chicago owns and I love it and almost went back there but then I discovered San Francisco.

predicto fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 13, 2024

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
What the gently caress is even with the regional food phenomenon in this day and age? How do the secrets elude people? Theres no goddamn reason I can figure out that professional barbecue making people in New England shouldn’t be able to figure out how to smoke a 10/10 brisket, or people in Texas shouldn’t be able to make a 10/10 pizza, and yet here we are. Shouldn’t YouTube pretty much have taken care of that?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Probably regional biases on how things should be made or prepared

My father was aghast that I wanted to smoke a turkey for thankgiving instead of baking it in the oven because that’s how they always did it growing up

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress it next year I'm vaping a turkey

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/lane_kiffin/status/1746150565623501275?s=46

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Literally lollin

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/PabloEscoburner/status/1746014791842328774?t=F6BV-bY3ZdOJJy0krvGQOw&s=19

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Joey Freshwater posted:

Probably regional biases on how things should be made or prepared

My father was aghast that I wanted to smoke a turkey for thankgiving instead of baking it in the oven because that’s how they always did it growing up

See now in west Tennessee all we did was smoke them birds

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Feeling pretty excited for next year. Even though I'd rather not have gone to the SEC (RIP OG Big 12), we are, and not gonna stop following CFB over it. Excited to start playing some new teams, and with the old bowl system already dead and in the ground the 12-team playoff is going to be really cool. Also really happy to see a lot more traffic in the CFB threads this year, reversing the same trend of SA as a whole over the last decade of a slow trickle of folks leaving. Hope we can keep the traffic up next season, too, the volume of petty sports sniping has gone way up, takes me back to the TFF of the late aughts.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Thermos H Christ posted:

What the gently caress is even with the regional food phenomenon in this day and age? How do the secrets elude people? Theres no goddamn reason I can figure out that professional barbecue making people in New England shouldn’t be able to figure out how to smoke a 10/10 brisket, or people in Texas shouldn’t be able to make a 10/10 pizza, and yet here we are. Shouldn’t YouTube pretty much have taken care of that?

Believe it or not, there’s more to making good food that can be learned from loving YouTube.

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

Congrats Alabama fans, DeBoer was so good,I still can’t believe he left Washington. He left the cupboard bare, I’m pisssed about that, he lied to a bunch of the recruits and told Dylan Moore to transfer.

Why did he tell Dylan Moore to transfer the dude was a husky. I know him personally so this hit hard.

He’s a used cars salesman. Even jimmy lake left the cupboard more full than his rear end in a top hat.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

It's also the 14th anniversary of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAsxnRaTAg

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

harperdc posted:

Seattle sports in general is fickle as hell - it's like a cold Miami. Mariners bad? they'll draw for Boston/Yankees, but nobody else. Mariners good? Packed houses.

Listen you can talk poo poo about any other Seattle sports fandom, but to talk poo poo about mariners fans and how they are fickle? What the gently caress? We always come out no matter how lovely the team is. You forget the playoff drought? What the gently caress is this

We are literally the browns baseball. We go to games no matter what. Oregon avatar or what, for you to just blatantly lie about the mariners like this. What the gently caress

Edit: games are always packed, you just wanted to talk poo poo about Seattle sports or something?

MintFresh fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 13, 2024

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

See now in west Tennessee all we did was smoke them birds

My family is originally from Knoxville and my grandparents always made the most bland food imaginable.

Except two of my grandfather’s favorite meals were peanut butter and banana sandwiches and Honey Nut Cheerios with sliced banana in the milk/cereal. Both of which I still eat to this day.

Grandaddy loved some bananas

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

My family is originally from Knoxville and my grandparents always made the most bland food imaginable.

Except two of my grandfather’s favorite meals were peanut butter and banana sandwiches and Honey Nut Cheerios with sliced banana in the milk/cereal. Both of which I still eat to this day.

Grandaddy loved some bananas

Once as a kid at my grandparents house I asked for tacos as it was (and still is) my favorite food. I was not expecting unseasoned ground beef and melted kraft singles on stale crunchy shells. I did learn how to make popcorn over a stove from them so I guess it wasn't all bad.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Warbird posted:

Since you all seem to have opinions about places, someone find me some food BBQ in NC. I’ve eaten all over and have yet to find anything memorable. That’s not elitism either, it’s all been extremely mid at best and I’d murder for some good BBQ.

Wilber's Barbecue in Goldsboro
Clyde Cooper's in downtown Raleigh
Would've said Buxton Hall in Asheville because it's in the middle of the brewery district, but it closed :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Incoherence posted:

Thai places in particular are loving everywhere because the Thai government uses it as a form of diplomacy.

I'm married to a Thai native and she avoids most Thai restaurants in the US lol

Actually, for the Michigan and Michigan State folks ITT she does genuinely like No Thai (Thai fast casual chain with a few spots in Ann Arbor and East Lansing), mostly because it has a reliable baseline.

C. Everett Koop posted:

lmao at goons acting like they wouldn't live in shithole x for 10m/y

The thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion of taking my major US metro salary + full-time remote job and loving off back home to Michigan, and I make way less than 10m. Probably an impossible sell to my wife though, alas and the cost of living in or near Ann Arbor and my folks is probably closer to where I currently live than I care to think about

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 13, 2024

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://x.com/GeorgiaFootball/status/1746192431438258599?s=20

No, this doesn't mean UGA now has three defensive co-coordinators; Muschamp's moving back to an analyst role.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Thermos H Christ posted:

i think it's more a matter of what percentage of the food is good.

there is good pizza in tennessee, but not a lot of it. there is a lot of good pizza in new york.

there is good bbq in new york, but not a lot of it. there is a lot of good bbq in tennessee.

(pressures of making rent/etc. can also have an effect)

culture still matters, and different regions have cultures that historically have focused on certain foods. and there may not be a demand for food of a certain caliber in some places, because people haven't been exposed to a certain level of it. i've had bbq in brooklyn that people think is life-changing and it's no better than something you'd get at an old grocery store stand in oklahoma. which is to say, good, but not like, county bbq in memphis or whatever. that poo poo'll change your life.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

I did terry blacks in austin at the recommendation of locals on a business trip and it was no better and maybe worse than the spots i like to go to in detroit and los angeles. A friend from chicago had a similar coment about franklins, so i dont know if that says more about how individuals like bbq in different regions, or how regionalism is overblown and/or a simulacrum like most things in the united states.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
BBQ chat and we're not even a week into the offseason!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is Washington the only school that has gone 12-0 and 0-12 as a power conference team? I know not many have done the latter at all.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is Washington the only school that has gone 12-0 and 0-12 as a power conference team? I know not many have done the latter at all.

I believe so! Another fun stat is that Washington now has the only coach to win AP Coach of the Year that also left the school that same year. Emotional whiplash at its finest!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Actually I think they’re the only team to go 0-12 as a P5 in general. Lots of horrible squads have still had some creampuff on their schedule but UW’s OOC was BYU, Oklahoma and Notre Dame! Insane work by the AD.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

C-Euro posted:

Actually, for the Michigan and Michigan State folks ITT she does genuinely like No Thai (Thai fast casual chain with a few spots in Ann Arbor and East Lansing), mostly because it has a reliable baseline.

genuine lol

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

C-Euro posted:

This is hilarious bc my experience has been that the spice level is wildly inconsistent depending on the location/day/weather. But now I really want some pad thai.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Actually I think they’re the only team to go 0-12 as a P5 in general. Lots of horrible squads have still had some creampuff on their schedule but UW’s OOC was BYU, Oklahoma and Notre Dame! Insane work by the AD.

2015 Kansas

Also from this article looks like we have an 0-12 season from Duke in 2006 and a number of 0-11 campaigns from them in the 80s and 90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_college_football_winless_seasons

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 13, 2024

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

This is not even close to correct. Kansas has gone 0-12 more recently than UW did. Since 2000 Duke has gone winless 3 times. It is not at all that big of a historical anomaly.

UCF also has gone both 0-12 and 12-0. Quicker turnaround than UW.

None of this is to say what UW has accomplished isn't very cool. It's just not unique.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

drunk leprechaun posted:

UCF wasn’t power 5 for either of those.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

drunk leprechaun posted:

This is not even close to correct. Kansas has gone 0-12 more recently than UW did. Since 2000 Duke has gone winless 3 times. It is not at all that big of a historical anomaly.

None of this is to say what UW has accomplished isn't very cool. It's just not unique.

UCF wasn't power 5 during either of those seasons, to be fair.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

LeeMajors posted:

UCF wasn’t power 5 for either of those.

Ah guess I missed that clarification on the original statement. Fair enough.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ah I forgot Kansas had a winless season in there and not just a bunch of 1-11s.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sirotan posted:

This is hilarious bc my experience has been that the spice level is wildly inconsistent depending on the location/day/weather. But now I really want some pad thai.

Oh are people down on No Thai? My parents get it all the time and my Michigan grad brother likes it too.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

FSU NIL people say Alabama functionally doesnt have one, and retained talent almost solely on the back of Saban coaching chops and putting them into the NFL.

Daboer the fall could be really fast if portal moves are any indication

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

pillsburysoldier posted:

FSU NIL people say Alabama functionally doesnt have one, and retained talent almost solely on the back of Saban coaching chops and putting them into the NFL.

Daboer the fall could be really fast if portal moves are any indication

I think I will trust Alabama over FSU when it comes to NIL stuff. I think they are fine.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lol that's a load of poo poo. Alabama absolutely has an NIL apparatus running, the difference is that Saban let them spend more efficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

2015 Kansas

Also from this article looks like we have an 0-12 season from Duke in 2006 and a number of 0-11 campaigns from them in the 80s and 90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_college_football_winless_seasons
Those 2020 ones shouldn't count