Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A very brief intro to Best Character this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Fern gets any taller Frieren will need to levitate to give head pats.

Stark spent most of his time sleeping.

Kraft makes a drive by monk appearance.

I see we're getting into another arc of episodes. Off to a better start than the boring demons because some of these mages look like they could be fun characters. Ubel looks like she wants to be the Garou of the show and kill off the competition.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 13, 2024

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I am disappointed that Frieren actually has to take this test

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I mean i'm pretty sure this arc will be more fun with frieren doing stuff in it than not

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This arc looks like its going to be very fun

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
frieren that entire episode: -_-

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For Frieren not much has changed. She is in a 3 member party where two of the members really need to hurry up and kiss.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Mordja posted:

A very brief intro to Best Character this episode.

With the second-best beard, first being Old Himmel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tabletops posted:

I am disappointed that Frieren actually has to take this test

I mean, she doesn't have to, but having her and Fern do it doubles the chance that someone And it's important that they pass because otherwise they'll have to give up snack money never make it North!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 13, 2024

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

For Frieren not much has changed. She is in a 3 member party where two of the members really need to hurry up and kiss.

:perfect:

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

the boring demons

shut da gently caress up.

frieren combat arcs rule because they give you a lot of insight into the characters involved and this won't be any different. Excited to see some characters get animated doing some Cool poo poo while also learning a lot about them.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Ghosthotel posted:

shut da gently caress up.

frieren combat arcs rule because they give you a lot of insight into the characters involved and this won't be any different. Excited to see some characters get animated doing some Cool poo poo while also learning a lot about them.

mfers complaining about combat bits like this is an adaptation of a proust novel and not a weekly shounen manga. hell yes it has combat bits

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The combat bits are mostly like 1 pagers given the same weight as eating a hamburger

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I can only wish that the hamburger gets the same attention to animation that lugner did

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ubell's VA is pretty much perfect. That's exactly how I imagined she would sound. Also, I think the anime made Kanna and Lawine even more blatant than they were in the manga. Good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

pork never goes bad posted:

I can only wish that the hamburger gets the same attention to animation that lugner did

Well the hamburger steaks sure did. Just need some buns big enough for them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Arc Hammer posted:

Well the hamburger steaks sure did. Just need some buns big enough for them.

Bigger...buns...

Stark, I need you dummy thicc on the double

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shinjobi posted:

Bigger...buns...

Stark, I need you dummy thicc on the double

If this is a mage exam then Stark ain't gonna take it which leaves him more time for leg day.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
He should just try to fake it til he makes it like the kid from Mashle

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

The combat bits are mostly like 1 pagers given the same weight as eating a hamburger

knew the anime was gonna be something special when they turned starks 1 page gag of insta-killing that dragon into a full sequence. There’s a few instances of stuff like that in this arc that i’m curious to see how crazy they decide to go with the animation.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hunt11 posted:

:emptyquote:

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ubell's VA is pretty much perfect. That's exactly how I imagined she would sound. Also, I think the anime made Kanna and Lawine even more blatant than they were in the manga. Good.

Well, the main ships in this story are alarmingly heterosexual so it was good to balance things out a little with some characters that are just so, so gay

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
The duo of longtime "friends" that just argue all the time but really work well together didn't really do it for me yet, but maybe they'll get better.

Speculation: I'm feeling that only one between Frieren and Fern are going to pass the exam, but I don't know which one, as I could see Frieren sacrificing her pass to make sure Fern gets it, or Fern being sabotaged by that evil mage girl and then Frieren getting it.
Or they both fail but Frieren gets an exception as the proctors recognize her at the end as part of the hero's party.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gonna hope for some more details about the serial killer mage murdering her previous exam proctor, because why would the city ever let her take another test again lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
trying to pull a Hisoka

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

trying to pull a Hisoka

Frieren: "I once found a spell that has the properties of rubber and gum on my journey with Himmel"

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

game theory: both frieren and fern will learn and grow as a result of this upcoming arc

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Love me a girl who don't open her eyes fully

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Gonna hope for some more details about the serial killer mage murdering her previous exam proctor, because why would the city ever let her take another test again lol

::taps KC Green cartoon about the wizard's shotgun::

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Maybe she killed the proctor in a way that everyone knows she did it but there’s no evidence so no one can prove it. Or maybe there was some kind of scandal/coverup involving the proctor and the murder was swept under the rug to avoid something unflattering being made public.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Or maybe the whole "people die during this exam" thing has rules that are written such that she didn't actually do anything illegal or that would let them both follow their rules and exclude her from future exams.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

shes got the eyes of a killer and was instantly failed when she killed the proctor. sounds like she did it deliberately to me

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

she said "my bad" afterwards.

this works with most crimes.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Yeah so for this part of the exam hit me with your most powerful spell and I'll shield against it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Finally got around to watching the episode.
For only 24 minutes, a lot of stuff happened.

First off, the world definitely feels more lived in. No more just solo traveling on roads between towns. Actually interacting with institutions and forms of government now. The intro with Kraft passing by the Killer Mage who was really just saving the bandits was good. Didn't expect to see him again, so it be nice if we get updates on him and passing scenes of what Sein is up do every now and then. Killer Mage lady seems clever, so she could probably tell Kraft is out of her league and if she tried anything against him, she be KO'd lol.

Even Himmel's party didn't know what the Holy Emblem was, so guess it given to her by her teacher.
Training montage great as usual. Stark has nothing to do. Frieren has her birthday...but where's the big hamburger steak?

I feel like Frieren could have gotten a pass if they threw her name around, but she doesn't like doing that. And Frieren wouldn't think of it since she will always prefer the longer more scenic route to things.

Makes sense when Frieren said during the war, there were a ton more mages, but now during "peace time" the number is significantly lower.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well the thing is being a mage takes training and discipline, cultivating your mana takes up a big chunk of your life and demons and monsters are attracted to your aura and want to kill you. Since it's something you have to seek out, there are fewer mages outside the magic cities.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Dongicus posted:

game theory: both frieren and fern will learn and grow as a result of this upcoming arc

you absolute sicko

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dongicus posted:

:mods:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stark sleeps through this arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
drat these lesbians really hate each other

drat these lesbians really love each other