Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sagebrush posted:

there's a phenomenon in psychology, that i can't remember the name of right now, where an artifact becomes permanently tainted by coming in contact with something foul even if the artifact is cleaned or isn't actually affected. like for instance the dog shits all over the floor and you use a towel to clean it up -- no matter how many times you wash it, that towel is the Dog Diarrhea Towel forever. or the bed that grandma died in is always Grandma's Deathbed, even with a new mattress and sheets and everything.

maybe this thing about food being permanently inedible because some other food touched it is indicative of a problem in that part of the brain

I learned it in intro to psych as the contagion principle, but looks like it’s now called
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contagion_heuristic

It is used to explain how reluctant you are to going back to eating a food or specific dish that made you gravely ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Biplane posted:

Dog took a poo poo on grandma, she's now Dogshit Grandma.

Just toss her in the washer with some extra sodium percarbonate, dog poo poo is no reason to throw away a perfectly good grandma

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
You might want to wait until your other grandma gets dirty too so you can put them in together btw, that way they don’t get lonely waiting for the spin cycle to end and you don’t gently caress up your washer with an unbalanced load

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
How do I get my brother to stop calling himself a sigma alpha male.

quote:

This is very stupid but poo poo is mad annoying. He’s been disrespecting our mother and father and he’s been watching Andrew tate.

I don’t even live at home anymore but my parents don’t know what to do and asked me to come over. I talked to Him for a little bit and said “wtf are you doing dude”. He was like “you don’t talk to me like that lil bro” than I proceeded to punch him in the face. Not hard but I know that poo poo hurt.

Not sure what to do as his behavior hasn’t changed since I tried talking sense into him.

My brother called my mother a dirty slut and my dad a cuck. For no reason.

Edit: some of these comments ruthless cmon guys. I’m not gonna strangle my own fuckin brother god drat it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for telling my boyfriend who's always lived with his parents that I won't live with him until he lives on his own for 6 to 12 months?

quote:

My boyfriend (32M) and I (33F) have been dating a little bit over a year. He has been living with his parents his entire life. Because he's never lived on his own, he's never had to do his own grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, cleaning. His mom does all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and grocery shopping. He's never really had to do anything that an adult does on a daily basis to take care of themselves. It's been a really big red flag to me, so I'm just really worried that if we move in together right now, he's not gonna know how to do anything, and I'm gonna turn into his mom. When he brought up that he was thinking about moving in with me, I told him that I'm not comfortable doing that and I think he needs to live on his own for at least 6 to 12 months. He told me that this request is completely unreasonable. My boyfriend thinks that I should wanna live with him right now, and he thinks I'm being an rear end in a top hat for making this request. AITAH?

How dare you not want to immediately do my cooking, cleaning, laundry, and grocery shopping live with me, you rear end in a top hat :arghfist::qq:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

If i'm aiming for a specific flavor mixture or texture etc. I will prepare someone else's plate but a big family meal you're gonna plate your own poo poo.

There's a time and a place for intricate plating and just no. Do it for everyone or tell the picky eater to gently caress off and figure it out.

Said it before, but if you've got a condition, that doesn't give one licence to inflict it upon others.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for telling my boyfriend who's always lived with his parents that I won't live with him until he lives on his own for 6 to 12 months?

How dare you not want to immediately do my cooking, cleaning, laundry, and grocery shopping live with me, you rear end in a top hat :arghfist::qq:

Do guys like this consciously know they can’t handle living by themselves, or do they have a defense mechanism from seeing reality?

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

kimbo305 posted:

Do guys like this consciously know they can’t handle living by themselves, or do they have a defense mechanism from seeing reality?

They see the chore, but not the skill, in boring Tuesday-night box dinner prep.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Depending on where he is the problem might be more finding a place to rent on your own is practically impossible.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Later edits and comments mention him just plopping all his dirty clothes on the floor to be cleaned up every day, and planning that mom will still come over to cook and grocery shop when he's living in a different place, so rent struggle isn't a primary issue here.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

kimbo305 posted:

I mean, I still live with my parents because I have a physical disability. The conditions placed on my ability to work in order to keep the disability benefits literally do not let me make enough money to move out, and the benefits check goes 100% to helping pay the rent for all of us. Even then, it barely covers half the rent. The shackles are padded, but they are shackles nonetheless.

All of that being said, I still pick the gently caress up after myself and cook when it's my turn and all that.
I sentence this man to the acid vats.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 14, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I mean, I still live with my parents because I have a physical disability. The conditions placed on my ability to work in order to keep the disability benefits literally do not let me make enough money to move out, and the benefits check goes 100% to helping pay the rent for all of us. Even then, it barely covers half the rent. The shackles are padded, but they are shackles nonetheless.

Yeah, economic limitations would certainly prevent some people from moving out, but by “like this,” I meant people who would fill every cubic inch of a living space with filth if they didn’t have someone looking after them.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Vim Fuego posted:

Take him round back and Ol Yeller him

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Depending on where he is the problem might be more finding a place to rent on your own is practically impossible.

it can be two things

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

I think continuing to punching him in the face every time he talks like that is a good start

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

kimbo305 posted:

I learned it in intro to psych as the contagion principle, but looks like it’s now called
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contagion_heuristic

It is used to explain how reluctant you are to going back to eating a food or specific dish that made you gravely ill.

My wife and I refer to this as “spiritually unclean” for sagebrush’s dookie towel example. Makes me think of the Bible’s rules of “unclean” things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is with food sensitivities is that they are not rational but also things many people do not have control over. That said, it can and should be possible to come to reasonable accommodations for people who are remotely reasonable about it on either end. Passive-aggressive mocking gestures are probably the worst possible ways to go about it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If your reaction to accidentally touching your foods mid-meal is to throw your food away and demand the host fix you a new plate from scratch, any accommodation more polite than being served in a dog dish is frankly above and beyond.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is with food sensitivities is that they are not rational but also things many people do not have control over. That said, it can and should be possible to come to reasonable accommodations for people who are remotely reasonable about it on either end. Passive-aggressive mocking gestures are probably the worst possible ways to go about it.

let's read the post again

quote:

My son in law can not deal with food touching, that’s fine. So when I plate up his stuff I make sure it’s not touching. At any point in the meal if the food falls into the other food then he apparently can’t eat it. Then he makes a huge deal about it and I either have to give him more or deal with him, usally needing with an argument.

I have tried to get the whole family to just serve themselves but they think it is rude so that doesn’t work. I have given smaller portions to him to make sure nothing ever touches but if I do that I get accused of starving him.

so "serve yourself and arrange it how you like" is apparently not a reasonable accommodation.
neither is "here, i put small amounts on opposite sides of the plate so they can't touch."
nor is "take charge over keeping your own food separated on the plate if it's such a big deal to you."

at this point the only reasonable accommodation, other than just not inviting him to dinner, is giving him a plate with physical barriers between the foods. it solves the problem completely.

9 dollars for family harmony. and it's what soldiers use so he can feel like a big boy!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mate, you have to realise that at a certain point, the accommodations that you seem to be demanding of others becomes unreasonable, nor does it become reasonable to expect the people around them to then have to endlessly bend over backwards for them, at their own expense.

Like, for example, this.

quote:

My son in law can not deal with food touching, that’s fine. So when I plate up his stuff I make sure it’s not touching. At any point in the meal if the food falls into the other food then he apparently can’t eat it. Then he makes a huge deal about it and I either have to give him more or deal with him, usally needing with an argument.

I have tried to get the whole family to just serve themselves but they think it is rude so that doesn’t work. I have given smaller portions to him to make sure nothing ever touches but if I do that I get accused of starving him.

Does this strike you as reasonable?

Once again,

edogawa rando posted:

Said it before, but if you've got a condition, that doesn't give one licence to inflict it upon others.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Vim Fuego posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > r/relationships: I’m not gonna strangle my own fuckin brother god drat it

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > r/relationships: I’m not gonna strangle my own fuckin brother god drat it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I should have mentioned that yes, I agree the person in that post is being unreasonable, calm down.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ignoring all the bullshit about the "my food can't touch" people.

These things rule!

Every Indian household has at least one set of these in stainless steel. Curry goes in one compartment, your various chutneys go in the other ones. And your Dosa/Idli/whatever goes in the big open one. So you can use the open space to mix a match to your own satisfaction at your own pace.

They were among the first thing I bought when I moved out. My sister in law was gifted a set by my parents and she love them.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

OP's daughter is conspicuously absent from that whole scenario. Has she ever asked her daughter to deal with her husband's bullshit when he starts acting up? Apparently something they do at home works for them, so why not have his wife make his plate the way he likes it? Or at least make the replacement plate when he freaks out because his food touched. What is she doing while he's throwing out his dinner and making her mom fetch him a new meal?

As for the Tate-son, I wish OP would've put in ages. If the younger brother is a minor, cut off his internet and all access he could have to that crap. He earned heavy monitoring of his web usage when he called his mother a dirty slut. If he's an adult, throw his rear end out. He earned the loss of his cushy lifestyle when he turned into a misogynistic shitbag and called his mom a dirty slut.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

My wife and I refer to this as “spiritually unclean” for sagebrush’s dookie towel example. Makes me think of the Bible’s rules of “unclean” things.

Women?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Troublemaker posted:

OP's daughter is conspicuously absent from that whole scenario. Has she ever asked her daughter to deal with her husband's bullshit when he starts acting up? Apparently something they do at home works for them, so why not have his wife make his plate the way he likes it? Or at least make the replacement plate when he freaks out because his food touched. What is she doing while he's throwing out his dinner and making her mom fetch him a new meal?

As for the Tate-son, I wish OP would've put in ages. If the younger brother is a minor, cut off his internet and all access he could have to that crap. He earned heavy monitoring of his web usage when he called his mother a dirty slut. If he's an adult, throw his rear end out. He earned the loss of his cushy lifestyle when he turned into a misogynistic shitbag and called his mom a dirty slut.

I'm pretty sure the tate-son is in fact the older brother

quote:

He was like “you don’t talk to me like that lil bro
So if the younger brother OP is old enough to be out on his own, tate-son definitely is.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Being nosey and checking reddit, the guy with the ligma male brother is 37, so his big bro is a least pushing 40 and living with his parents.

They should kick his rear end out.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm pretty sure the tate-son is in fact the older brother

So if the younger brother OP is old enough to be out on his own, tate-son definitely is.

“Lil bro” in this context is a new way to call someone a loser.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'd forgotten these things exist. What are they called?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Malachite_Dragon posted:

All of that being said, I still pick the gently caress up after myself and cook when it's my turn and all that.
I sentence this man to the acid vats.

I suspect if the situation was "lives with his parents for financial reasons but can do basic household tasks and can be trusted to do them when living alone", the never having lived alone part wouldn't be a red flag.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Angrymog posted:

I'd forgotten these things exist. What are they called?

Honestly, I dunno. I've always just called it a "plate".

To get the picture, I googled "plate with compartments". But I think you are right, there must be a proper name for it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Thali.

EarthboundMermaid
Mar 6, 2012

Go then, there are other worlds than these.
I know it as a thali

Aw, efb

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
WIBTA for wanting to kick a hobosexual out of my house?

quote:

My (21F) housemate (21F, Amy) met her new love interest (22M, Rob) about a week ago. The first time they formally met in person, he came over at midnight with a duffel bag and has not left for a week. Every day was a different excuse for why he couldn’t leave, like it being too late to go or there being a storm (there was not), and he has been fully moved in with us (me, Amy, and our third housemate, also 21F) since Day 3.

Some quick background: Amy and her ex broke up 2 months ago. She says that she wasn’t sure if she was ready for a new relationship but has fallen for Rob. All 3 housemates are uni students, and we’re renting as 3 people (as defined in our lease).

Timeline:

Day 1: Rob comes over at 12am with a duffel bag and a 6-pack of beers. Amy claims he had no intention of sleeping over this first night. They talk until 6am in the living room. He doesn’t want to leave because “it’s really late,” so Amy tells him to sleep on the couch. He agrees but then asks to see something in her room that they’d discussed earlier. They go upstairs, and he falls “asleep,” so they spend the night together in her room. He drank at least 3 beers.

Day 2: Rob leaves at 4pm for work. He comes back at night claiming that a train broke down due to weather, and he can’t make it back to his place, as he lives relatively far away and does not have his own car. To our knowledge, there were no public transport breakdowns and weather was fine.

Day 3: Amy tells us that Rob’s uncle, whom he was staying with, is kicking him out because he believes that he was staying with his abusive ex-girlfriend.

Day 4: Amy and Rob bring his stuff over. He is told the garage code, and we’re told he intends on staying here until his mom convinces his uncle to take him back. Amy says he has other friends, but they are not that close and he doesn’t want to bother their families by staying over. He makes money from his job ($700 in 3 days) and can afford a motel - they just don’t want to. For context, he is currently taking a break from his police diploma and working as a cook.

Day 5: We stage an intervention and ask for next steps. We say our parents are uncomfortable with a stranger moving in. We get the same story about them not having options.

Day 6: Today. We are lost.

Rob’s red flags:

He has NOT STOPPED drinking since he arrived, and there are several piles of beer cans in our house. No one in our house drinks.
Rob wanted to see Amy as soon as she arrived after the winter break. His uncle “kicked him out” shortly after. We are wondering if he just needed a place to stay, and this worked out strangely conveniently.
Amy has not been getting enough sleep/eating, or going to all her classes since this began. We are concerned for her wellbeing.
WIBTA if I told Amy Rob has to leave tonight?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The cops suck, but at some point they're needed and the point is when you have someone living in your house against both your will and the lease. Jesus christ.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

WIBTA for wanting to kick a hobosexual out of my house?

That's a hell of a way for the first Hinge date to go.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kitfox88 posted:

The cops suck, but at some point they're needed and the point is when you have someone living in your house against both your will and the lease. Jesus christ.

That someone who is supposedly in training to become a cop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That someone who is supposedly in training to become a cop!

Makes sense that a terrible, lovely dude who's overstayed his nonexistent welcome is a cop wannabe lol