Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That's a bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

the demon school demo was not good. just going to tell everyone right now, that game is going to disappoint a lot of people who are excited for it. alternatively they will love it because they have bad taste. it was very bland though.

Yeah I was really bummed out. It looked so cool...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's only cross play between PS4/5, not with PC

I'm getting it on PC because I have ps-less friends but I'll buy a cheap copy on PS a year from now for the sake of having it

You want those codes too, huh?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You want those codes too, huh?

Oh yeah there's that too lmao

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I want the Rising codes so bad but I bought it on PC....and all the ebay listings are 70 dollars lol. So mad Cygames decided to die on this hill.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that seems weird that the digital versions wouldnt come with an email for codes or something

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cygames is terrified people will buy and then use steam refunds to nab them for free. Even though you could fix this by just having the codes sent out after 2 hours of gametime or something. They also don't let you pre-order.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Japanese game companies still deeply terrified of pasocoms

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Does anybody know about any possible Dungeon Crawling RPGs with a strong class change system like the one in FFV?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Cygames is terrified people will buy and then use steam refunds to nab them for free. Even though you could fix this by just having the codes sent out after 2 hours of gametime or something. They also don't let you pre-order.

Cylames.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Isn't it just a skin for GBF?

The fighting games were a lot worse about this, especially the first game when they were still figuring it out.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You also get a free Evoker set, same as the fighting game I thought.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Oh yeah. Well fwiw I think that bonus is kinda weaker than it seems since you still need to uncap the weapon on your own.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Joey McChrist posted:

my wife got me xenoblade chronicles x for a late xmas/early b-day present and i've been hooked on it. finally got my skell license and bought the cool heavy one (amdusias iirc?) do i need to buy one for every team member or do they get their own eventually? money seems to come by pretty easy in this game so it shouldn't take too long to build up the cash (i've still got over a mill after buying that skell frame)

Speaking of XBX, when emulated with the upgrades to resolution/graphics, it's probably one of the most gorgeous open-world games that exists.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my review of false skies is that it was good. encounter rate way too high imo, which means xp gain is tweaked to be kinda slow. no respec option was a disappointment, given the FIVE-tier multiclass system. so like, you can only experiment once with each character.

very large game for an indie game (25~ish hours to hit the bad ending, a couple more hours for good ending), very authentic to the spirit of a gameboy RPG, as i said before i instinctively went to save a savestate at one point until i remembered it was an indie game. also a couple of gays in the main (non-party) cast as a treat

my indie jrpg backlog at this point: Start Again, Artifact Adventure, Wandering Sword, Touhou Arcadia, Three Fairies' Hoppin Flappin Journey, Star Renegades, Another Star, Edge of Eternity, Ikenfell, Bug Fables, Labyrinth of Touhou 2, Lisa, Osteoblasts, Nexomon, Symphony of War

non-indie jrpg backlog: Dragon Quest 7 (3DS), 7th Dragon 3 (3DS), Tokyo Mirage Sessions (Wii U), Arc the Lad 2 & 3 (PS1), Front Mission 3 (PS1) & 4 (PS2), Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1), Devil Summoner 2 (PS2), Eternal Ring (PS2), Mana Khemia (PS2), Atelier Iris (PS2), Shadow Hearts 2 & 3 (PS2), Star Ocean 3 (PS2), Suikoden 3 & 4 (PS2), Valkyrie Profile 2 (PS2), Resonance of Fate (PS3), Fire Emblem Echoes (3DS), Fire Emblem Fates (3DS), Magical Starsign (DS)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 13, 2024

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1746590/Crystal_Story_Dawn_of_Dusk/

Looks like Crystal Story is out (on steam). It was in the Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality about 3 years ago, so a fair number of people might have it, but I never actually got around to playing my copy. Anybody tried it? I don't think that RPGs that switch between action and turn based combat depending on the vibes they want from an encounter are super common, but I'm about 50/50 on trying games that really succeed by leaning into the genre-warping.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The 7th Guest posted:

my review of false skies is that it was good. encounter rate way too high imo, which means xp gain is tweaked to be kinda slow. no respec option was a disappointment, given the FIVE-tier multiclass system. so like, you can only experiment once with each character.

very large game for an indie game (25~ish hours to hit the bad ending, a couple more hours for good ending), very authentic to the spirit of a gameboy RPG, as i said before i instinctively went to save a savestate at one point until i remembered it was an indie game. also a couple of gays in the main (non-party) cast as a treat

Not sure I agree with the xp gain. I drank repels like they were water and there were only two or three fights were I felt like I was underpowered.

Then again, that might be partly because the class balance is pretty off. Mage, a starting class, has the one of the strongest offensive moves until you unlock tier 5 classes. Sorcerer, another starting class, has the best MP restoring move period. While its cool the game has forty or so classes, drat near all of them are worse than those two.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finally finished fate/extra ccc. game is in such a weird place where it has enough moments i love i could very easily call it, one of my favorite visual novels. but even loving those parts i really simply just can not stand the gameplay. desperately hope the extras both get remade sooner than later cause it's frustrating that the best playing game in this subseries is the one that's literally just a story-light musou game and all the most meaningful and impactful character beats are in a psp rpg with gameplay that is near downright unplayable sometimes without cheats lol. jinako and karna are two of my favorite characters in any rpg and i desperately hope that some day there'll be a version of this game fun enough that people will actually want to play it for more reasons than suffering through the combat to get to their stuff

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway now i'm gonna play phantasy star

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What exactly is the upcoming granblue game? I've seen art books for the series before, and it looks gorgeous. But I can't tell if this new game is an mmo or single player.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

What exactly is the upcoming granblue game? I've seen art books for the series before, and it looks gorgeous. But I can't tell if this new game is an mmo or single player.
neither. its an action rpg with a single player story and sidequests you can do co-op.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Colonel posted:

finally finished fate/extra ccc. game is in such a weird place where it has enough moments i love i could very easily call it, one of my favorite visual novels. but even loving those parts i really simply just can not stand the gameplay. desperately hope the extras both get remade sooner than later cause it's frustrating that the best playing game in this subseries is the one that's literally just a story-light musou game and all the most meaningful and impactful character beats are in a psp rpg with gameplay that is near downright unplayable sometimes without cheats lol. jinako and karna are two of my favorite characters in any rpg and i desperately hope that some day there'll be a version of this game fun enough that people will actually want to play it for more reasons than suffering through the combat to get to their stuff

good translation too?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

colonel played it in jp i think. but the english patch is decent. there's occasionally a bit of like, clunk word salad but thats more just cause nasu writes like that than because the tl is bad. all the minute-to-minute dialog and jokes are handled very well.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah from what i looked at the tl is fine nasu just gets chuuni sometimes, it's difficult to parse those scenes in jp too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
in awe at my man's girth

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Still love that Myau could have saved Odin at any time but he doesn't have opposable thumbs so he couldn't open the bottle of ashline

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh lol did they rename tyron to odin in english to give him a name that fits within a four character limit

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i was wondering if that was why ff6 changed kaien to cyan but that immediately broke down with like every other character having a five letter name so i still have no idea there. gonna assume it was actually just because the credits listed him as "cayan"

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
there's a tohou game that's just like the SNES SMTs
it seems pretty cool

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rinkles posted:

good translation too?
I finished it with the patch and thought it was a very good TL.

E: It is definitely and unquestionably still a Nasu script though, for good and ill

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 13, 2024

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Colonel posted:

oh lol did they rename tyron to odin in english to give him a name that fits within a four character limit

Yeah lol but Lutz still became Noah for ??? reasons? I guess a biblical name is something more acceptable than something kids might read as "Lust"?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Does anybody know about any possible Dungeon Crawling RPGs with a strong class change system like the one in FFV?

that's crystal project if you haven't played it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1637730/Crystal_Project/

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Saw Cosmic Star Fantasy 1 and 2 is getting a release on the switch with new English translations and I'm tempted to get that Turbografix/PC Engine RPG fix

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

avoraciopoctules posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1746590/Crystal_Story_Dawn_of_Dusk/

Looks like Crystal Story is out (on steam). It was in the Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality about 3 years ago, so a fair number of people might have it, but I never actually got around to playing my copy. Anybody tried it? I don't think that RPGs that switch between action and turn based combat depending on the vibes they want from an encounter are super common, but I'm about 50/50 on trying games that really succeed by leaning into the genre-warping.
i think it was just a demo in that bundle

Schwarzwald posted:

Mage, a starting class, has the one of the strongest offensive moves until you unlock tier 5 classes. Sorcerer, another starting class, has the best MP restoring move period. While its cool the game has forty or so classes, drat near all of them are worse than those two.
you're not wrong that Negative K is devastating but for me it lost its oomph by the time tier 4 unlocked and I was even emphasizing SKL armor/weapons

i chose not to use a guide to build up so i could experiment. i would say that either Elementalist or Scholar were the most useless classes, especially because a mage that takes elementalists doesn't learn skills they already have (nor alternates), but then going to tier 5 removes the skills they DID have at tier 1 (including SKL Amp....). that said, Sage was a great end class for Mage and not just because it rhymed, the 3.2x SKLs that also reduce DEF or SDF were crazy good.

my premium character went from fighter to light infantry to samurai to heavy infantry to annihilator and hit like a truck. so i had a physical powerhouse and an ether powerhouse, to go along with a medic->panacea sage and the support class

oddly the final dungeon marathon was tougher than the final boss itself, even though the final boss had SIX phases lol. but that was mostly because tier 5 removes at least 10 levels from each character

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I'm all in on Granblue Fantasy Relink day one now that I've tried Io and found she plays like a FF14 Black Mage, complete with Laylines. Extremely fun nuking the golem boss in multiplayer with her

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I'm all in on Granblue Fantasy Relink day one now that I've tried Io and found she plays like a FF14 Black Mage, complete with Laylines. Extremely fun nuking the golem boss in multiplayer with her

Zeta is probably my favourite or second-favourite character in GBF and having tracked down some gameplay footage beforehand I was very pleased to see that her gameplay design is basically "what if FF Dragoon, but even more airtime"

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

crystal project is literally exactly what you're looking for

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Honest Thief posted:

there's a tohou game that's just like the SNES SMTs
it seems pretty cool

I'm enjoying it but I ran hard into a somewhat embarrassing roadblock that I'm gonna have to figure out a way around lol

e: I will start by not putting every point in luck. thankfully restats are possible after a fairly easy sidequest

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Leraika posted:

I'm enjoying it but I ran hard into a somewhat embarrassing roadblock that I'm gonna have to figure out a way around lol

e: I will start by not putting every point in luck. thankfully restats are possible after a fairly easy sidequest

AGI, INT, and VIT are generally the most important stats since they affect your defenses and it does the SMT thing where you lose a fight if your MC dies (although at least it's not a game-over). You can pretty much get away with raising those three stats and ignoring the rest completely; you can still use support skills and do okayish damage, especially since guns aren't affected by your stats at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Thuryl posted:

AGI, INT, and VIT are generally the most important stats since they affect your defenses and it does the SMT thing where you lose a fight if your MC dies (although at least it's not a game-over). You can pretty much get away with raising those three stats and ignoring the rest completely; you can still use support skills and do okayish damage, especially since guns aren't affected by your stats at all.

yeah I know how to build a character in smt, but I just wanted to see how far I could go on pure luck.

Part of me wants to just try and figure out a way to grind/fuse past the fight that's giving me a headache, too.