Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sunday Morning posted:

The wind will take stuff from your stations mask or no mask. Even the sandwall doesn't stop this for some reason. I just empty my stations and chalk the day up as lost. The worst are automatic cutscenes when you exit your house during a sandstorm. Love seeing the "wind has blown away your stuff" during a forced cutscene.

Yeah, I just meant that the person I replied to thought it took stuff from them and that the mask stopped it. Mask is irrelevant and it blows stuff from stations, not your pockets.

The sandwall does stop it, but it has to be up.

seriously, I had it happen again (testing to see if I could track the stuff down again) and it seems to consistently put it floating up in the air above one-story house and roof level and a few yards from my fence towards the scrapyard. It happened both times with stuff from my ore processor, so I don't know if placement matters or anything. It being up in the air like that explains why I couldn't find it and also why I later found some very random stuff seemingly out of nowhere while jumping my fence on horseback.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I know from experience that the sandwall does not stop this completely. First sandstorm after I got the wall, I raised it and went about my business and later that day I got the message some of my stuff had blown away. If it does effect it, it's not 100%.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sunday Morning posted:

I know from experience that the sandwall does not stop this completely. First sandstorm after I got the wall, I raised it and went about my business and later that day I got the message some of my stuff had blown away. If it does effect it, it's not 100%.

I've absolutely never had it do this with the sandwall up and I've played three full games. If it's not 100%, then it's like 99.9% and you are unlucky as hell.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I never seen my items be blown away with the sandwall up either.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
It only happened to me the one time and I was like wtf and looked on google to find some other people had it not work properly and just stopped running stuff during sandstorms. I'm usually so well stocked on stuff it was no big deal. Guess I'll go back to trusting the wall if it was just a rare glitch.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Glitch is very possible. But hey, if it happens again, just jump around on that rock beside your house and you might get it back. I'd recommend doing it the next day, because you can see the weird floating stuff better when the storm's over.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Portia people. Did you let Albert marry Sonia? He seems like a creep :nallears:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Albert's cool imo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What are the requirements for unlocking the Helper Box? Mystery Man doesn't sell it for some reason.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

What are the requirements for unlocking the Helper Box? Mystery Man doesn't sell it for some reason.

Unlock the hirable helper, cones way way too late in the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Unlock the hirable helper, cones way way too late in the game.

That...hosed up because it gives you a Helper Box tutorial as soon as you get married.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

That...hosed up because it gives you a Helper Box tutorial as soon as you get married.

Yeah feels like a huge oversight, I ran into the issue I hope they patch it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm 60 hours into the game and roughly 50-60% of the story in but I think I'm gonna shelve the game until the next patch.

The game's great but I'm having a bunch of little problems pile up on top of each other.
The worst one is that I have 3 different quest markers permanently stuck on my map from quests that I have already completed, which makes it pretty frustrating to navigate.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Important question: is Unsuur going to be mad at me if I don't have paint for his quest :ohdear: i don't have a blender yet! i really need to stop immediately talking to every blue icon i see

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tudabee posted:

Important question: is Unsuur going to be mad at me if I don't have paint for his quest :ohdear: i don't have a blender yet! i really need to stop immediately talking to every blue icon i see

Quests will tell you if they're timed; if there's no listed timer you don't have a timer period. You can make him wait forever for the paint and he won't care.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

tudabee posted:

Open mission list and see if there's a timer on that mission or not below the rewards (there isn't, so you can take as long as you want.)

Vast majority of all missions are not timed, and those that are will time out even if you don't pick them, so there's no drawback to picking every mission.

Commissions are an exception obviously.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Oh, thank goodness, thank you. I thought he said something like "in X days" so I assumed it was timed

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

tudabee posted:

Oh, thank goodness, thank you. I thought he said something like "in X days" so I assumed it was timed

They say that for a lot of missions and it worried me at first, but that is just flavor text. If you wait a whole year to give him that paint he will act like you gave it to him the day he requested it.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Indeed, he waited quite patiently, which turned out to be appropriate given the quest :v:

In other news, Unsuur is an enormous dork and I think I love him

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

tudabee posted:

Indeed, he waited quite patiently, which turned out to be appropriate given the quest :v:

In other news, Unsuur is an enormous dork and I think I love him

He's so weird, it owns.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

King of Solomon posted:

He's so weird, it owns.

There are so many times when I was thinking "He's doing a bit. Does he know he's doing a bit? It seems like he knows, but that deadpan delivery..."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's funny that unsuur is supposed to be comically boring when really justice is the boring one.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I love all of his fourth-wall breaking. Some of it is actually pretty, uh, deep and melancholy, like this conversation where he goes 'Hey, so I'm an NPC and my content is about to run out. What does this mean for you? Will you still care about me, even a little, when that spark of new dialogue inevitably goes out of my eyes?"

Yeah buddy, I still care about you.

Also, Justice is a bit of a square compared to Unsuur, but I don't think he's boring. He's an affable straight man to Unsuur's comedy gold. I like you too, Justice, we cool!

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 15, 2024

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Dirk the Average posted:

There are so many times when I was thinking "He's doing a bit. Does he know he's doing a bit? It seems like he knows, but that deadpan delivery..."

The devs clearly loved referencing Simpsons but I think he's given the majority of them. First one I picked up on was the world without zinc bit.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Megazver posted:

Also, Justice is a bit of a square compared to Unsuur, but I don't think he's boring. He's an affable straight man to Unsuur's comedy gold. I like you too, Justice, we cool!

You know, I think this is the reason I like the Sandrock NPCs so much. They actually play off of each other and get involved. There's storytelling, concerts, sermons, and various other activities that have random NPCs attending them. Mi-An runs around collecting resources. The scrappers are scrapping stuff, and folks are generally just always going around doing things. Even the shopkeepers tend to be animated in what they're doing instead of standing stock still at the register. The world revolves partly around the player character, but you get the sense that the NPCs have a life and are doing things independently of the player, and the writing backs that up by having a lot of the story commissions be partly handled or funded by the NPCs in the town.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Characters in Sandrock are great. The only ones I actively dislike are Pen and Yan.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Grace and Xi making snide comments about each other to the builder

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Characters in Sandrock are great. The only ones I actively dislike are Pen and Yan.

Miguel sucks rear end too

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I disagree with basically everything Miguel stands for and does but also find him compelling as a character because despite being an rear end in a top hat he feels fleshed out with real, understandable reasons and goals for why he is how he is. In particular the late game conversations you can have with him while he's in jail after the failed Duvos coup are really good and I like that his "redemption" isn't straightforward and even after acknowledging he was essentially groomed by Matilda and Duvos into a zealot, he admits that he's still just not all that able to believe in people's inherent goodness and fears society will slip back into its pre-age of darkness ways without a strong guiding hand.

Which is a long-winded way of summing up why I like all the characters: they all have a shtick, but not only is it not the entirety of their being, but their shticks have reasons behind them and get explored and picked apart and characters then grow (or sometimes don't!) from that process. It's a very well realized little group of NPC's.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There is a dev (EDIT: the director of Sandrock and Portia!) on Reddit posting about stuff like the results of that survey, as well as how they created different characters in the game. She seems cool.

https://www.reddit.com/user/Bamna_Piggy/submitted/

quote:

Appreciate your feedback! We're also eager to keep players in the loop with more updates.😊 I'm thrilled when people refer to My Time at Sandrock as an RPG game, as it's not something we hear often. We're usually categorized as simulation game and cozy games, which MTAS undoubtedly is too. A significant portion of our development time is dedicated to crafting the main storyline, romantic plot, and side quests. 😅

To me, MTAS is a genuine RPG game.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 16, 2024

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Pen rules and by far has the most fun voice acting

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder why Catori and Heidi are noticeably less popular than the other gals.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 16, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's definitely because catori is a living trainwreck and heidi is boring. no other reason.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Catori being a parent who abandoned her child to open game shops in a small town is just an insanely bad person.

Heidi is a bit of a mystery besides just being that unmarried adult.

All my favourites with Logan, Fang, and Owen being up there is feel good chemicals though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I like Heidi. :colbert:

She's not my favorite character, but she's fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One of the comments I saw was someone saying "I don't like Jane or Catori because they make my character look like a midget." which I thought was hilarious.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
catori's got the best design and the worst everything else

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm just gonna go with racism honestly

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Mi-an would be my pick except I love Nia's passion for plants and growing.
Heidi is my best BFF forever.

Not a fan of Amirah's accent.

I kinda wish I could match-make Heidi and Jane, I think they'd work well together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hoped that Elsie would be Sandrock's version of Sam from Portia but alas.
I still like Elsie, but she's uhhh, not romance material.