Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I think there's a new Jason Statham film out called the butter keeper or something and he murders a load of tech bros with butter. They should send him on the ships with the butter.

E: 134 is how many plates of butter Keith consumes per week to keep the economy running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Namibia is having none of Germany’s bullshit

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Ships supplying Israel are like the Jawa's sandcrawlers on their way to sell droids to Imperial troops in Mos Eisley. Houthis are Tusken raiders and if the odd Jawa dies it's worth it to stop the Empire getting its hands on a few more garbage droids. Luke Skywalker is Owen Jones and Ben Kenobi is Jeremy Corbyn.

This is a perfect 100% accurate analogy of the situation and if you don't know where you stand on it then maybe your moral compass needs a midichlorian boost.

Sorry, I'm still not quite getting it: could you do a Harry Potter analogy instead?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
no

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

I think there's a new Jason Statham film out called the butter keeper or something and he murders a load of tech bros with butter. They should send him on the ships with the butter.

E: 134 is how many plates of butter Keith consumes per week to keep the economy running.

Bit behind the times, they're up to Butter Keeper 3: The Eggs of Doom. In which Jason Statham as The Butter Keeper viciously breaks the heads of eggs and scrambles them up with RA butter and Irish Milk.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

smellmycheese posted:

Namibia is having none of Germany’s bullshit

Doesn't seem like Namibia has grounds to criticize Israel, given their history of genocide :thunk:

it's good that they are doing this, I think there are people whose knowledge of genocides starts with the holocaust and ends with the holocaust

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nenonen posted:

Doesn't seem like Namibia has grounds to criticize Israel, given their history of genocide :thunk:

it's good that they are doing this, I think there are people whose knowledge of genocides starts with the holocaust and ends with the holocaust

I can only see references to the German genocide of Namibians not genocides committed by Namibians - given your spoiler, were you being ironical? Or do you have a link?

This is about the German one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herero_and_Namaqua_genocide

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is there a comprehensive list of nation states who haven't done genocide at some point?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is there a comprehensive list of nation states who haven't done genocide at some point?

Pretty much just Iceland and Costa Rica maybe? though I'm sure there's loads of countries that did nothing and then got eaten by a bigger country. Sort of like that rhyme with the woman swallowing frogs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I can only see references to the German genocide of Namibians not genocides committed by Namibians - given your spoiler, were you being ironical? Or do you have a link?

This is about the German one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herero_and_Namaqua_genocide

I was referring to US Senator John Fetterman's speech :shobon:

https://jewishinsider.com/2024/01/orthodox-union-capitol-hill-senators-icj-hearing-israel-genocide-south-africa/

quote:

“Maybe South Africa ought to sit this one out,” Sen. John Fetterman (D-PA) said at a luncheon on Capitol Hill hosted by the Orthodox Union on Wednesday, adding that it’s “appalling” to accuse Israel of genocide “given the history there.

Yes I do know the appalling colonial history of Namibia, sorry for the confusion!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Jesus Christ, I didn’t see that Fetterman quote. Every time I think that guy can’t get worse.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's almost as if everyone got a little bit of Kissinger when he died.
As long as we keep massacring civilians, the spirit of Kissinger will never die :)

I’m absolutely confused at what people think doing a few air/missile strikes in Yemen will do. They’ve been bombed for years and are doing just fine. Aside from that, NATO has had a total collapse in arms production. Between this garbage and Ukraine, there aren’t enough missiles to go around. Not to mention the UK’s inability to deploy a carrier due to staffing shortages.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

cat botherer posted:

Not to mention the UK’s inability to deploy a carrier due to staffing shortages.

Given the lack of childcare places, have the Navy considered combining the two and solving the staffing issues that way?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

fuctifino posted:

Given the lack of childcare places, have the Navy considered combining the two and solving the staffing issues that way?
That would significantly increase the risk of friendly fire from the Israelis.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

Pretty much just Iceland and Costa Rica maybe?
They do that chocolate orange gateaux at xmas though so they're on thin ice.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

If the Post Office does go bankrupt you can expect to see it sold off to Hermes or some mad poo poo.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

WhatEvil posted:

If the Post Office does go bankrupt you can expect to see it sold off to Hermes or some mad poo poo.

I’d be surprised if KKR and Apollo weren’t sniffing around already, although they maybe think it’s just not potentially lucrative enough to be worth the hassle.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Begging terfs/gcs or whatever they call themselves to be normal and not unhinged weirdos

https://twitter.com/skippy_0h/status/1746133749019050082?t=_38_f5qMEhO7GpogsyVC2g&s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Being normal would involve not having an obsession with the genitals and gametes of people they pass in the street, so they will never.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Honestly I thought Butter Keeper was a completely insane way to update the series but credit where it's due, it's as good as the original ever was, even if carving big dungeons out of butter is an incredibly strange stylistic choice.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Being normal would involve not having an obsession with the genitals and gametes of people they pass in the street, so they will never.

Im starting to think these people might not be well, mentally

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Gamete and two veg

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WhatEvil posted:

Don't do this early in the morning, please. I was only half awake and read it as "Hamas".

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
That's some free parking poo poo right there

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ash Crimson posted:

Im starting to think these people might not be well, mentally

There's a check you can try out: when you see one of these people writing articles or being interviewed etc, find their Twitter account (they always have one) and scroll through their feed. It's inevitably thousands and thousands of posts, focusing solely and exclusively on their fear and loathing of transgender people.

It's not nice to see but it provides a sense of reassurance about who the irrational people are with this issue.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

Don't do this early in the morning, please. I was only half awake and read it as "Hamas".

Hamas would be more effective tbh

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's the tunnel network

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's the tunnel network

Wasn't that Israel?

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

WhatEvil posted:

The PO is a private limited company separate to Royal Mail, and is wholly owned by the government. so if it goes bankrupt I would expect it to just get bailed out using public money (and the directors who paid themselves lovely bonuses will just walk off scot free). If it is sold I'd expect it to be split into its various financial/ID/postal services and sold off separately to whoever wants it (but probably retaining the PO brand, can't have the public noticing they've been sold out yet again).

The PO company has already received billions in government subsidies to 'become profitable' which as far as I can tell amounts to flogging off assets, closing branches and laying off staff. It's just another essential public service, particularly for poorer people, that's been cut to the bone and set up to die because if it isn't profitable it isn't worth bothering with, but there's an unlimited well of money to spend on trying to make it turn said profit and pay off the scandals/disasters caused by it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rappaport posted:

Wasn't that Israel?

No, it was New York Hasids and your post is anti-Semitic.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

Hamas would be more effective tbh

Post delivered directly into your apartment by rocket

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Microplastics posted:

Post delivered directly into your apartment by rocket

The post is delivered by balloon. The reply is delivered by rocket.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Sorry, we tried to deliver your package today, but you were not in.
We have left it at your neighbour's rubble pile.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I'm glad "where countries are" never came up in my Geography GCSE exam, because I was surprised to see where Saudi Arabia actually is on a map!

You live and learn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the clue is sort of in the name.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I thought it might have been a bit further east, like where Iran is.

Oh well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Asia Minor might be a big bit of Türkiye, or it might be something that Prince Andrew was investigated over.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Saudi isn'[t one I struggle with cos its like its own clearly defined thing with seas around it and stuff. Its ones in the middle of land masses that I lose track of whats where.

What does surprise me about saudi is its like the largest country in the middle east but with one of the relatively smaller populations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want confusing place names with Arabia in them, historical Bessarabia is located northwest of the Black Sea

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

And don't get me started on Georgia, or Iberia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Saudi isn'[t one I struggle with cos its like its own clearly defined thing with seas around it and stuff. Its ones in the middle of land masses that I lose track of whats where.

What does surprise me about saudi is its like the largest country in the middle east but with one of the relatively smaller populations.

I grew up in Saudi thanks to my dad managing some of the oil and lubricant plants there. It's mostly desert. Nice sculptures in Jeddah tho, was great to experience something completely different as a kid, If you can overlook them turning the local shopping car park into a place for public executions every so often (there's a shopping trip I'll never forget)

The absolute antagonizing the Americans did while we were there was nuts to be honest. Walking around with crates of beer during Ramadan, bringing over a big yellow school bus and driving around all the non Saudi kids in it after handing us all loads of fake dollar bills with Jesus on them with the windows open. Spraying them as we went. It was quite... Something.