Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Palladium posted:

imagine you as a kid watching OG star trek and lived to 2024 to see a big deal made over loving mugs

Love that the future is centered around increasingly lovely products instead of anything any sci fi author predicted. They should have been reading Marx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Trek was always a bunch of nonsense.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I didn’t know that meme and now I know that meme

Tyfys

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I showed you pics of my Stanley cup. Please respond.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the popes toes posted:

I showed you pics of my Stanley cup. Please respond.

-Sidney Crosby

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yeti’s have more variety, Stanley cup is too big

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nonsense posted:

they really should stop putting all the names on it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

So big you need a loving Stanley steamer to clean the bitch

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
they did that a few years ago because it was getting too tall. now when a ring gets full, they remove it and put it on display in the hockey hall of fame.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We’ve discussed before how private equity is buying up trailer parks in order to raise the rents to unaffordable levels and take trailers from the previous occupants who can’t afford the rent and can’t afford to move their homes.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2024...ng-out-of-time/

quote:

Rents have skyrocketed at Woodland East Mobile Home Park; now residents want to buy their park but are running out of time

“Now what’s happening because of rent increases … is people have to make a choice between their medicines”

WOODLAND — Helplessness washed over Woodland East Mobile Home Park residents last fall as they watched the eviction of their neighbor, a woman in her mid-70s.

They stared at the woman as she sat outside the home she owned but resting on the land she could no longer afford to rent. They wondered who would be next.

Rents at the 55-and-older community have increased by about 250 percent since mobile home park mogul Michael Werner of Vancouver bought the property in 2017, residents say. The seniors, many on fixed incomes, are struggling to pay the $1,050 charged a month per spot — and rents are slated to go up to $1,250 in March.

Senate Bill 5198, which took effect in July, was supposed to change things for tenants like them. It aims to give mobile home park residents a chance to buy their parks and have a say in their future.

So when Woodland East was listed for sale, residents thought that law was their savior — a chance to slow the seemingly endless rent hikes. Instead, their effort to buy the park has exposed cracks in the new law.

Woodland East Homeowner Association President Meg Freimarck, 77, is still holding out for a chance to buy the park, but she knows the residents are running out of options — and time. She’s asked lawmakers how they plan to help seniors in their position. More affordable housing, they tell her.

“Goodness gracious, they want more affordable housing when we have to get out of our own affordable housing because of rent gouging,” Freimarck said. “We thought this would be our forever home.”

Woodland East residents know some of their neighbors struggle to afford food due to rising rents. Some grow food in their gardens so they don’t have to buy produce. Residents place extra food on their mailboxes for their neighbors.

It didn’t used to be like this.

When Kay Knutson, 74, moved into the park 20-odd years ago, two local men owned the property, she said. They maintained it and hardly ever raised the rent. But when Werner bought the park in 2017, residents began worrying about changes. Knutson formed a homeowner association.

“We knew there were going to be issues. We needed someone to stand up for our park,” Knutson said.

Those issues quickly turned into what Knutson describes as a “nightmare.”

That first year, tenants paid a more than 70 percent increase in rent (from $352 to $600), according to receipts provided by a resident.

Now residents are paying more than three-quarters of fair market rent for a one-bedroom in Clark County — just for the land on which their homes sit. Some are also paying on the loans they took to buy their homes. Most residents say they’ve reached a breaking point.

“Now what’s happening because of rent increases … is people have to make a choice between their medicines,” Freimarck said.

Jim Roseman, 71, said the rent increases have left the community on edge. He had only lived in the park one year before the rent increases began.

“Everybody’s on pins and needles until the first of (the month) trying to figure out how much we’re going to be hit with for rent increase,” Roseman said.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody is going to deny a property owner $1000 rent. Pay up!

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

computer big dumb mug of flavor water, cold

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We’ve discussed before how private equity is buying up trailer parks in order to raise the rents to unaffordable levels and take trailers from the previous occupants who can’t afford the rent and can’t afford to move their homes.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2024...ng-out-of-time/

That’s why YouTube had a flurry of videos debating the merits of adding section 8 housing to trailer parks.

Just drive someone barely hanging on into homelessness and then use section 8 to guarantee profits.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Shageletic posted:

Love that the future is centered around increasingly lovely products instead of anything any sci fi author predicted. They should have been reading Marx.

If the cyberpunk authors were just less optimistic about how much technology would progress they would have nailed it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSNwuL7x7/

Braver than the troops

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

It pains me to see that so many people buy those lovely pre-shredded cheese bags.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It pains me to see that so many people buy those lovely pre-shredded cheese bags.

absolutely revolting species were a part of

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I want the mug

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kraft shredded cheese ftw.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DancingShade posted:

I'm imagining a Steam survival game where before you can build a bamboo hut to shelter from the elements on your deserted wasteland island that you must first get planning permission from several different statutory authorities and wait 6-12 months for a surveyor and environmental impact assessment.

Eco?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

Kraft shredded cheese ftw.

it's trash

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

"Stanley Cup" is a trademark of the NHL, when are they gonna chime in on this lovely trend?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Eco

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mouli grater for cheese ftw

someone showed me one of these 50 years ago at a rummage sale & I never looked back. They have a newer version out but it's not as good as the OG mouli.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Call it what you will, but it's still corpse of milk.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

mouli grater for cheese ftw

someone showed me one of these 50 years ago at a rummage sale & I never looked back. They have a newer version out but it's not as good as the OG mouli.

doesn't cleaning that thing suck?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

uninterrupted posted:

just grind a soapy sponge through it every couple of weeks

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
no they're pretty easy to clean. just hard to sanitize.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

its not even the playoffs yet and people talking about the stanley cup :master:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

blatman posted:

lol

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

uninterrupted posted:

it's easier than a standard grater bc the grater comes out of the handle part.

I use the dishwasher for mine anyway & it's fine.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

harder working than any ceo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

blatman posted:

... honestly not the worst idea lmao

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Woke Mind Virus posted:

What's the deal with those cups? Yeti for libs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2QBRx1XYM0

Apr 7, 2003

Zenni Optical wants $120 for glasses in my prescription. this is bullshit

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Zenni Optical wants $120 for glasses in my prescription. this is bullshit

what’s ur prescription

Apr 7, 2003

fits my needs posted:

what’s ur prescription

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

oh my :stonk:

I'm just as bad diopter wise but yikes at bein off kilter shape wise. sorry bout your eggballs op

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
drat, that boy is blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

drat, that boy is blind.