Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's a sequel to aeterna noctis announced called Aeterna Lucis. I hope some things are different from the first game because I really enjoyed it until the second half when some of the bosses had so many frustrating issues that I quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I am really enjoying Momodora: Moonlit Farewell, about 3 hours in (which, given the series's usual length, I assume is like halfway, but it'd be a nice surprise if this game was closer to 10 hours than 6). As with the past games: beautiful music, beautiful art, satisfying areas to traverse. The platforming isn't really challenging, and the combat could use another layer of depth, but for a cheap game with an incredible level of polish I am very happy with it. Think anyone who likes Hollow Knight should give this a shot, has pretty similar vibes.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 13, 2024

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Astalon is great. One thing I want to say about it is that you should not be turned off by the implication that it has roguelike elements, it is not a roguelike. Do you go back to the beginning if you die? Yes. Does fast travel make it not matter very much? Also yes.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Playing through Afterimage and while I generally like it (the combat and movement abilities are all pretty good, and the audio and visuals are fantastic) it has three major things that are bugging me.

First, the story is just Kingdom Hearts-tier incomprehensible nonsense. I'm chalking this up it being a non-english dev crew from what I can tell, but yeah it's...rough.

Second, the game has one of my least favorite things: totally useless stat boosts . The whole skill tree is a series of tiny buffs (+1 HP, +2 defense) that you have to buy multiple times, like the worst parts of the old WoW talent trees, but even better, equipment tends to give single digit percentage buffs. Whoo, I got +7% main hand attack! That's...loving nothing.

Finally: the map gives you the ability to mark things; which is handy in a metroidvania that's all about backtracking and unlocking areas with new abilities. Now, I'd prefer an option to automatically mark those on your map, because my memory sucks and going back to what appears to be an unexplored area to find out 'nope it's a thing I can't get past' is pretty frustrating. What's really frustrating is that the markers you can provide are all specific enough icons to be pretty unambiguous, while also being totally unrelated to the things you need to backtrack for. For example, you have these red barriers, and all the icon marks are like 'Anchor, Stingray, Building, Treasure Chest', etc - there's a key, which you could use to say 'oh this is a barrier, so maybe a key?' except that THERE ARE LOCKED DOORS.

Like for gently caress's sake how can you add something like that to a game and not think through the things people would WANT to mark?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Yeah I used chest markers as a shorthand for "need traversal upgrade" but more specific markers would be nice. You do eventually get a little treasure magnet and a treasure percentage for each area which made things a lot easier though.

I do agree with your other points. The shoddy translation doesn't help. I chuckled when they had Golden Crow and Golden Ciaw or something like it in the same box.

I just had too much fun with the game for it to bog me down in the end.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does the new momodora have no hit boss rewards?

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I've been playing Lone Fungus recently, and I'm at my final cleanup stage now. I've been really enjoying it, and for the most part I've been honestly surprised with how little true frustration I've gotten from the platforming challenges. The major exception for me, which I'm posting about both to vent and also to hopefully trigger an easy success by complaining on the internet, has been the rooms with the spinning spike balls that you have to pogo off of. The platforming is challenging enough in general that it just feels extremely rude to add a layer that forces me to decide on the correct timing of the entire room on top of trying to figure out how to navigate the room. It also feels like it makes the "look ahead in the room" option pointless because any slight difference in timing means that it's impossible (for me, at least) to both predict where things are going to be and then try in vain to match reality to the path I tried to predict. Thankfully everything else has felt fair enough that even when I've failed it's always felt like my fault and not the game's fault.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Reading this thread prompted me to pick up Astalon and I am stuck as hell after getting the blue eye. Seems like I'm missing some kind of vertical mobility power - closest I have is the cape for Algus. Someone give me a push?

(e) last big powerup I got was the switch-anywhere bell

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 14, 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
you should be able to make progress in the hall of phantoms, fairly close to where you found the bell

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

JavaJesus posted:

I've been playing Lone Fungus recently, and I'm at my final cleanup stage now. I've been really enjoying it, and for the most part I've been honestly surprised with how little true frustration I've gotten from the platforming challenges. The major exception for me, which I'm posting about both to vent and also to hopefully trigger an easy success by complaining on the internet, has been the rooms with the spinning spike balls that you have to pogo off of. The platforming is challenging enough in general that it just feels extremely rude to add a layer that forces me to decide on the correct timing of the entire room on top of trying to figure out how to navigate the room. It also feels like it makes the "look ahead in the room" option pointless because any slight difference in timing means that it's impossible (for me, at least) to both predict where things are going to be and then try in vain to match reality to the path I tried to predict. Thankfully everything else has felt fair enough that even when I've failed it's always felt like my fault and not the game's fault.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the game til right up near the end and spinning spike balls/trying to bounce off multiple spells kind of took it too far towards platforming challenge for me (that and the wall bounce being so janky) and put me off the post game/100%ing the map. The dev has announced a sequel and I'm real keen to see how that is.

field balm fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 14, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lih posted:

you should be able to make progress in the hall of phantoms, fairly close to where you found the bell
:doh: thanks

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Owl Inspector posted:

There's a sequel to aeterna noctis announced called Aeterna Lucis. I hope some things are different from the first game because I really enjoyed it until the second half when some of the bosses had so many frustrating issues that I quit.

Yeah, they managed to get a great animation and art style, a decent story, some cool basic mechanics, and then gently caress it all up with really dumb and boring and overly spread out world design coupled with frankly obnoxious platforming and not enough enemy variety.

I mean, playing it (which I had the same experience as you, enjoyed it up until suddenly I didn't at all) and Afterimage back to back is jarring because everything Aeterna does badly, Afterimage does exceedingly well, it just does the one thing Aeterna does really well, namely story/VA/interesting setting, horrendously badly. Both are obnoxious with the anime art style, though that's personal preference.

Thing is, and I'm a story nerd in vidya games and will often forgive mediocrity if the story is great (looking at you, Legacy of Kain series), no one plays Metroidvanias for their story. Maybe we're primed from the OG Metroid having dogshit for narrative or SotN, the renaissance of the genre, having laughable story and plot to the point where it's one of the oldest gaming memes at this point, but man this is not the genre to lean hard into your story at the expense of gameplay. Just don't do it.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 14, 2024

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

New Prince of Persia is great! Some weird editing on the story cutscenes in the full version but it plays extremely well.

Probably the most impressive combat I’ve seen in a metroidvania. Better than Hollow Knight, IMO.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i cooled a lot on momodora moonlit farewell, posted about it here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4047769&pagenumber=7#post537154518

the tl;dr is that neither the combat nor the platforming ever really get interesting, and it's a shame. really feels like the developer just didn't have any particular ideas for combat systems, but also didn't want to make the game platforming-heavy, so it just winds up in this weird in-between where for the first three hours it feels like it's starting to build up and for the remaining five hours it just stays exactly there without ever evolving :(

the art and music are beautiful and it's a breezy play so i do recommend it as a palate cleanser between larger games, but it's also a solid 6/10 game. it's the kind of thing i could see patches improving, and id absolutely do a second playthrough if they did a significant content overhaul (there's also a second playthrough unlock with some stuff changed up, so even if they did a bunch of small improvements i might still give it a second go with that)

also the more i find out about this game the more i feel like i understand how it wound up here. the dev tried to go more rpg-focused with minoria and people did not like it, then tried to go more 3D and apparently fans rejected it for some reason (https://momodora.fandom.com/wiki/Momodora_V). this does sort of feel like a game where the dev really wanted to make another game in this world they really love with the characters they love, but had zero heart in the actual game mechanics

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 14, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

abraham linksys posted:

also the more i find out about this game the more i feel like i understand how it wound up here. the dev tried to go more rpg-focused with minoria and people did not like it, then tried to go more 3D and apparently fans rejected it for some reason (https://momodora.fandom.com/wiki/Momodora_V). this does sort of feel like a game where the dev really wanted to make another game in this world they really love with the characters they love, but had zero heart in the actual game mechanics

From what I recall at the time, the dev wanted to make Minoria a 3d zelda-ish souls-ish game, but he just released Momodora: RUTM and its fans were really vocal about wanting a sequel.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Speaking of Bombservice, did they ever update Minoria to be more forgiving? Having parrying being a core mechanic while having the MC die in 2-3 hits sucked all the joy out of the game. I'm pretty bad at video games but I finished RUtM without much difficulty.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

abraham linksys posted:

and for the remaining five hours it just stays exactly there without ever evolving :(

I think I'm on the 2nd to last area or near the end of the game and I'm feeling the same way. it's a Fine game but I don't really feel the need to finish it since it's not really compelling me at this point

Also I don't think there's perfect no-hit rewards for bosses

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Also I don't think there's perfect no-hit rewards for bosses

there's an achievement for defeating any boss without taking damage at least, which is trivial with the barrier-on-heal sigil

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing Momodora a few hours (beat the cat boss) and I've liked it so far. Incredible art, music and atmosphere. I do agree that it could probably use a bit something more but then again I'm not far enough yet to give a more detailed review.

I basically have a choice of Momodora and a game that's been a while on my backlog, Aeterna Noctis. I wouldn't actually mind a more casual 'vania if I can beat Momodora without hassle since the last one I played (The Last Faith) was quite a bit more frustrating.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I liked RutM until I kept getting rekt by instakill spikes. Not a great metroidvania game mechanic.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

sudonim posted:

I liked RutM until I kept getting rekt by instakill spikes. Not a great metroidvania game mechanic.

great news, Momodora 5 wildly overcorrects on this and has the most trivial platforming imaginable

Schwarzwald posted:

From what I recall at the time, the dev wanted to make Minoria a 3d zelda-ish souls-ish game, but he just released Momodora: RUTM and its fans were really vocal about wanting a sequel.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Speaking of Bombservice, did they ever update Minoria to be more forgiving? Having parrying being a core mechanic while having the MC die in 2-3 hits sucked all the joy out of the game. I'm pretty bad at video games but I finished RUtM without much difficulty.

seriously the more i read about/think about the past games the more i understand why this game is what it is

does give me a little hope that maybe they could patch in something that makes it more interesting. or maybe i should try this arrange mode, for all i know a good game is hiding in there

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

So this prince of Persia thing is out tomorrow on uplay+ right? Reviews are looking good, even if the combat looks a bit spongey

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AfricanBootyShine posted:

They must have. I didn't get to Minoria until a few years after its release and sadly I found it pretty trivial (beyond enemies having too much health).

Anyways, I've been playing Momo 5 and I think I have a higher opinion on it than some? It's definitely an orthodox iga-style metroidvania, but it plays really nicely. My biggest complaint is that if multiple sound effects trigger at once their combined volume adds together weirdly, but that seems like the most "will be patched first week" problem ever.

Maybe I'll sour after playing it more, but so far it's very "yeah, this is Momodora alright." Which is good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So this prince of Persia thing is out tomorrow on uplay+ right? Reviews are looking good, even if the combat looks a bit spongey

I'm gonna play it. I like (most) PoP games and I need something to keep me busy until Infinite Wealth.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

looks like it's out within a day for $60 and in three more days for $50. as much as i dislike that particular method of separating me and my money, I just finished Astalon and while I enjoyed it, an MV with actually good mobility like this PoP appears to be would be welcome right now lol

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

it's also on Ubisoft+ which is $15 a month on PC, might do that myself. seems like a game i'll get through in a month, hopefully if they ever do significant post-release content the game will go on sale for that (and maybe even be on steam by then, who knows)

plus I can use that month to play all those other great Ubisoft games, like uh.... well Skull & Bones doesn't come out until Feb 16 so not that...

e: oh i just scrolled up and lmao that is what you're replying to, but yeah, Ubi+ the way to go on PC probably

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 15, 2024

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

PoP is up now on Uplay + if anyone is up late for the holiday.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Playing Prince of Persia and it has a Persian language option, so thats neat and what I chose

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ok yeah, that's legitimately pretty cool.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

OK this game is sick, like a solid 9/10, makes sense given it's from the Rayman team

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

yeah this feels good as gently caress so far. i'm trying to get through it on Hero (surprised to see that unlike most games you can't change the difficulty partway through on this one) and mostly doing ok but the parries are trickier than i expected, so that's caused most of my deaths given how much health you lose on this difficulty was surprised when i went back to look at the difficulty options and saw that the parry timing was the same as the normal difficulty

however much like Momodora the penalty for death is just respawning at the last save point but keeping your money/items/world state so it doesn't feel that bad, even the Game Over screen is a bit overwrought

edit: I'm an idiot and you can change difficulty mid-game, I missed that the options menu has multiple tabs

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 15, 2024

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
The new PoP wasn’t even on my radar but I tried the demo and immediately preordered once I finished it. Can’t wait to dig in once I can get to it on PS5 in a few days.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Guessing I’m around halfway through momodora 5, and it’s been chill and enjoyable enough, but it feels kinda sparse compared to momodora 4. the game’s definitely bigger but not necessarily in a good way. it mostly feels like there’s just more rooms in each area but they aren’t filled with more interesting content, and the mechanics are just as basic as before so there isn’t anything more to do in those rooms. I dunno, it’s just not hitting the same vibes as RUTM which knew exactly how big it should be to hit the high notes and then finish up while it was ahead.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Does the ubi subscription thing only work for pc? There's so much good stuff and I really wanna play this but not full price play it considering how stacked the first quarter of the year is.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Playing through Aeterna Noctis and it’s pretty decent. I’m enjoying the brutal platforming and the scope of the game is pretty nuts. It could use better signposting of where to go, although it seems like there isn’t a well defined intended route; I already got an achievement for defeating a boss without some other item I haven’t found yet.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

unattended spaghetti posted:

Does the ubi subscription thing only work for pc? There's so much good stuff and I really wanna play this but not full price play it considering how stacked the first quarter of the year is.

pc and xbox (and amazon's cloud thing no one uses)

i wouldn't mind paying $50 if it was just on steam, would have saved me a lot of hassle getting it up and running on the steam deck. thought about getting it on switch but i really don't have a way of playing my switch comfortably for long periods of time

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Worth doing the combat challenges when you get to them. They give a lot of good info on the combat the game doesn't really explain otherwise.

Oh and you get a new athra surge for finishing them all so def do it.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 15, 2024

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The mechanical and visual callbacks to the 2D prince of persia games are a fun touch.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

pc and xbox (and amazon's cloud thing no one uses)

i wouldn't mind paying $50 if it was just on steam, would have saved me a lot of hassle getting it up and running on the steam deck. thought about getting it on switch but i really don't have a way of playing my switch comfortably for long periods of time

Ah I have xbox. Nice. Think I'll give it a go at that price. Really liked the contrast setting they have for accessibility btw. Seems they put a significant amount of effort into the options. No text to speech for the menus is a bummer though. That's one feature that really needs to be standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I appreciate in PoP you can go the absolute wrong way at the atart and the games layout even encourages you in that direction.

Definitely didnt die several times wondering why difficulty spiked so suddenly.