Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

galagazombie posted:

LOGH is based rather fundamentally on a view of history entirely excised of class, one in which material conditions are entirely irrelevant. Steered entirely by “Great Men”. It subscribes 100% to the Lib belief that a nations condition is ultimately derived from “vibes”.

Sorry, not feeling it!

EDIT: Wait, are you actually saying LOGH pretends class doesn't exist?? Because lol lmao to that

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 03:38 on Jan 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

the milk machine posted:

like when his vampire super sperm almost kills her and she gives birth to a fully formed baby in a few weeks, or?

gay ppl don't know about reproduction

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Sorry, not feeling it!

EDIT: Wait, are you actually saying LOGH pretends class doesn't exist?? Because lol lmao to that
I really love and recommend LOGH, so I'll say this - it isn't really a failing so much as a part of the show where there is no recognition or understanding of class by any of the characters so history ends up being a cyclical battle between liberalism and fascism because it can't see any other way out. My interpretation is that this is an ultimate criticism of people who believe economic and social models that don't include class and material conditions, because this is the best world they can think of.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Knight posted:

I really love and recommend LOGH, so I'll say this - it isn't really a failing so much as a part of the show where there is no recognition or understanding of class by any of the characters so history ends up being a cyclical battle between liberalism and fascism because it can't see any other way out. My interpretation is that this is an ultimate criticism of people who believe economic and social models that don't include class and material conditions, because this is the best world they can think of.

Liberals literally believe that fascists are just bad people who come out of nowhere mysteriously every few generations and the find the idea that they have actual material causes and motivations to be incomprehensible and actively offensive to them.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Knight posted:

I see this as a very valid reading of the show.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Liberals literally believe that fascists are just bad people who come out of nowhere mysteriously every few generations and the find the idea that they have actual material causes and motivations to be incomprehensible and actively offensive to them.

I can see a lot of liberals watching LOGH and deciding its fascist because it has the audacity to even ask "Hey wait a minute, why DOES this keep happening to democracy?"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
k-stew ftw, r-patz ftw

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I can see a lot of liberals watching LOGH and deciding its fascist because it has the audacity to even ask "Hey wait a minute, why DOES this keep happening to democracy?"

i also like how the United Colonies in Starfield is unintentionally written as utterly incompetent Starship Troopers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just watched "One Shot", starring Scott Adkins, released in 2021. The plot is very bog-standard American jingoism: Adkins plays a Navy SEAL sent to fetch a prisoner from a black site when it gets assaulted by insurgents, and he has to fight and shoot his way through. The gimmick is that it does that thing from Birdman or the more recent Extraction 2 where it's just one long shot, but it does it for the entire movie, hence the name. I thought it was great - they really commit to the bit, and the scope and scale of the plot is calibrated perfectly against the whole thing playing out in 90 minutes real-time.

a sequel, "One More Shot", was released just two days, and I'm going to catch that one, especially since it also has Michael Jai White.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Should of shot it in the St. Petersburg's Hermitage Museum, and called it Russian Arc 2.

Would of made for a great double feature with the right advertising.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just watched "One Shot", starring Scott Adkins, released in 2021. The plot is very bog-standard American jingoism: Adkins plays a Navy SEAL sent to fetch a prisoner from a black site when it gets assaulted by insurgents, and he has to fight and shoot his way through. The gimmick is that it does that thing from Birdman or the more recent Extraction 2 where it's just one long shot, but it does it for the entire movie, hence the name. I thought it was great - they really commit to the bit, and the scope and scale of the plot is calibrated perfectly against the whole thing playing out in 90 minutes real-time.

it was even directed by James Nunn!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

In Training posted:

I don't care about nostalgia. I live for the future. Unless we are talking about tarkobsky's Nostalgia now there's a good flick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_PgwBYLt0

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

cumpantry posted:

zappa was an op is an op

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f28klp1qQGI

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Reminds me of a very long struggle session the Chapo Reddit had over Patrice, where they decided that his advice for men was hateful and misogynistic for white people, but relevant for POC who have to deal with “hoochie” culture.

:stare:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a question: if I was gonna ditch Spotify for any number of reasons Spotify sucks, what would be an alternative?

I mean besides torrenting albums.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
torrenting albums

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bandcamp

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Or buy CDs
There are so many great albums from bands that don't exist anymore so their poo poo isn't on Spotify

Like check out Hugo Largo

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
i guess deezer is marginally better

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Here's a question: if I was gonna ditch Spotify for any number of reasons Spotify sucks, what would be an alternative?

napster, apple music, tidal, amazon music, google music, pandora, youtube music

apple, napster, and tidal pay the most to the rights holders per stream, while youtube music and spotify pay among the least to the rights holder

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

edit: I withdraw my recommendation because Yourube has been performing like dogshit since yesterday.

Nonsense has issued a correction as of 17:51 on Jan 14, 2024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just don't listen to music and watch news constantly instead

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
good recipe for brain soup

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

gradenko_2000 posted:

a sequel, "One More Shot", was released just two days, and I'm going to catch that one, especially since it also has Michael Jai White.

Outlaw Johnny Black is available for to rent now so that’s on my short list. Hope it’s as good as black dynamite.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.ninaprotocol.com/

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

I use YouTube premium, wife rebuilt her Spotify onto our subscription

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

i use Amazon Music because its cheap with a Prime subscription and it's legally definable as adequate

on one hand the windows program is smooth to navigate and feels real nice, on the other the android app keeps getting updates that make it functionally worse

if you use your music app as a podcatcher then Amazon Music removes a lot of ads but then also has a much more limited selection of shows

:shrug:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
yeah youtube premium because it does music alright and also no more youtube ads on random devices you can't adblock easily

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
if you go for YouTube premium enjoy google protecting you from music that mentions violence or self harm

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Good, thank you google

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Personally I buy mp3s drm-free for pennies each at mp3caprice and refuse to stop, but I do admit a live service's recommendation algorithm would be nice to have sometimes

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

i watched blues brothers for the first time ever last night. it kicks rear end

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

the milk machine posted:

if you go for YouTube premium enjoy google protecting you from music that mentions violence or self harm

what? I listen to music with violence and self harm all the time

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
alien3 could've been very bad. it was a renny harlin picture before fincher was hired, and before that it took place on a tiny wooden space cathedral (which actually prob wouldve been pretty cool now that i think about it)

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

Personally I buy mp3s drm-free for pennies each at mp3caprice and refuse to stop, but I do admit a live service's recommendation algorithm would be nice to have sometimes

I just looked this up, how on earth are they so cheap? I could be buying 100 songs per month through them and still come out ahead from a Spotify subscription.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

the last time i used it a year ago, some stuff is tagged so you get a popup warning you that you're about to listen to naughty music that might give you bad feelings. the phone app only showed this popup once in awhile, so to listen to an entire album you could listen to one song, then you'd have to kill the app to get the popup and start the next song, repeat several more times

one example was rage against the machine's first album but it happened a bunch. oh yeah another was that 9/11 album by the coup... it was very inconsistent about what material was actually tagged that way, so sometimes it would happen and sometimes not. only happened on the phone app i think

support just said "we think it's good to protect our users from media such as that, working as designed #wontfix" so i just switched. too bad because otherwise it was a pretty good service

the milk machine has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Jan 14, 2024

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
weird, never seen that before and I've been using yt music for years on phone and desktop

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

:rock: cut my life into pieces :rock:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
tried the coup album and it played through fine without popups :shrug: wonder what triggers it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

tried the coup album and it played through fine without popups :shrug: wonder what triggers it

yeah good question. i only got that issue sometimes; sometimes it wouldn't do that at all even on an album i'd seen it before. skill issue on my part maybe? maybe not. oh well!