Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did explain the position at length yesterday and if you read that and still decided to go with "clearly you are just a closet antisemite" then I don't think there is anything I can say to convince you otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So the government has been advertising its guidance on XL Bullies in the leadup to the ban, and surprise surprise, it's completely vague and includes 3 completely unhelpful images at the bottom.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog

Those are staffies! They look exactly like staffies, particularly the second one, and the 3rd one is the only one that looks even slightly like an XL bully.

The guidance and the advice all concerns what to do if you know you have a bully, but there is zero guidance for what to do if your dog is not a bully, but is tall enough to hit the height qualification - which is basically the only objective measurement in the new standard.

Oh, and it costs 90 quid to apply for a certificate of exemption, but you can only get one if your dog is an XL breed. If your dog might fit that criteria, it doesn't look like there's any way to preemptively exempt it.

In response to the criteria and the cost of the certificates, there's been a huge upsurge in people abandoning staffies and bulky breeds.

Tw for extreme animal cruelty: Apparently XL breeders have been burning the dogs in protest, and a bully was found with its legs tied together having been mutilated to death, but the only source I can find for that is the scum, so take with a pinch of salt.

I know I've said about this before when the criteria was first announced, but especially with the pictures it's loving useless and is actively endangering a whole bunch of other dogs covered by its vagueness.

UK to introduce dumbass kneejerk policy that has major side effects and probably doesn't solve any problem? Nobody could've seen this one coming.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

All your points have already been answered, fresh innocent account that just registered today

Stop stirring the poo poo and gently caress off

You read the wrong date

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You read the wrong date

Yeah, thanks, I just realised. They can still gently caress off though e: I was rude. :justpost:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 15, 2024

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I'm poo poo at that too.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog

Those are staffies! They look exactly like staffies, particularly the second one, and the 3rd one is the only one that looks even slightly like an XL bully.

Yeah that top dog is a dead ringer for my neighbours’ staffie, this is gonna end up with people being put under the microscope over thousands of completely unrelated dogs.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Do you get a receipt when you buy a dog? What does it say on the receipt?

Like if you have dog insurance, surely they all what did it is for premiums reasons? So I guess like what do people call their dogs there and insist on consistency

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I wonder why the people living in Gaza might not necessarily have a nuanced view of the situation and the difference between Israel and Jewish people. It can’t be anything to do with Israel’s insistence that it is THE Jewish state and its constant tying of Jewish identity to its insane program of ethnic cleansing. Hmm it is a head scratcher.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah that top dog is a dead ringer for my neighbours’ staffie, this is gonna end up with people being put under the microscope over thousands of completely unrelated dogs.

There's also been a huge migration of XL's and similar breeds being sold/dumped/given away to people in Scotland, as the new laws don't cover up there. I'm pretty sure I read something about Ireland experiencing the same a few weeks back.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

fuctifino posted:

There's also been a huge migration of XL's and similar breeds being sold/dumped/given away to people in Scotland, as the new laws don't cover up there. I'm pretty sure I read something about Ireland experiencing the same a few weeks back.

SNP u-turned that.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Brendan Rodgers posted:

SNP u-turned that.

That was only announced a few days ago though, and it'll take time for the laws to come into effect won't it? And I'm pretty certain Northern Ireland hasn't announced a ban yet (Is Northern Ireland even able to implement a ban with the continued mothballing of Stormont?)

It's like there's a forced migration of these dogs up north, then across the water

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They're being destroyed? Or just like you need to keep them on a lead?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They need to be registered, neutered, and muzzled and on a lead at all times when in public.

e: and also third party liability insurance. More details here - https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/endcruelty/changingthelaw/bsl/xlbullies

Any dogs not registered before the date and discovered afterwards will be destroyed.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 14, 2024

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

That was only announced a few days ago though, and it'll take time for the laws to come into effect won't it? And I'm pretty certain Northern Ireland hasn't announced a ban yet (Is Northern Ireland even able to implement a ban with the continued mothballing of Stormont?)

It's like there's a forced migration of these dogs up north, then across the water

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-67959845

Youre right. "BBC News NI has also heard from animal shelters in Northern Ireland which say dozens of XL bully dog owners in England and Wales have been contacting them looking to rehome their pets here. "

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

happyhippy posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-67959845

Youre right. "BBC News NI has also heard from animal shelters in Northern Ireland which say dozens of XL bully dog owners in England and Wales have been contacting them looking to rehome their pets here. "

Ironically, the people going to the bother to do that are most likely the ones who provide good upbringings and healthy home lives which encourage happy and safe dogs.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Ironically, the people going to the bother to do that are most likely the ones who provide good upbringings and healthy home lives which encourage happy and safe dogs.

Yeah I was thinking that. Like the last people whose dogs you need to be loving with.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If your dog is an XL then yes, it will be destroyed. To keep your dog you need:
- a £90 exemption certificate,
- 3rd party insurance costing christ knows how much,
- dog muzzled and leashed in public at all times.
- proof you have 'safe storage' for them preventing them getting out.
- neutered & microchipped.

You also need to be able to show the certificate to a police officer or council warden, which just adds to the anxiety if you have a dog caught up in the ambiguity. If your dog isn't an XL, it won't get the certificate, but you need to be able to show the certificate to stop the police or council wardens impounding and destroying it if they think it meets enough of the criteria.

The height thing is particularly worrying for me, because about 10-15% of staffies are just born with longer legs than normal. My boy is close to the height, and despite being told by the shelter we adopted him from, the vets and an independent DNA test all saying he is not an XL, he looks worryingly close to the proportions of the 2nd dog sometimes.

Just sometimes though.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 14, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Surely the independent DNA test printed out is like plenty?

But yeah I get it the anxiety over the boy. Shits hosed

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

From what I can tell reading around, you need to go to court with all of that evidence to get the dog back, you can't use it to stop the impounding in the first place. And if they run out of space in the kennels before it goes to trial, they just kill the dog anyway.

Most owners of impounded dogs get at best an apology when they finally manage to get anyone to look at the proof.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

£90 tax stamp for your machine gun assault canine is just the dingleberry on top of this latest English poo poo sandwich of ineffective law

also over/under on police having XL bully amnesties where you can go to the wheelie bins at the police station to dump your dangerdog right along the lovely knock off katana (fancy real katanas are ok though) and the zombie knife

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

suck my woke dick posted:

also over/under on police having XL bully amnesties where you can go to the wheelie bins at the police station to dump your dangerdog right along the lovely knock off katana (fancy real katanas are ok though) and the zombie knife
If you get it euthanised at the vet you can get £200 off the cost (or at least claim it back) until march, so you're not far off.

If you want to know what some people are actually doing to get rid of their dogs, click the spoiler in my first post; but it's so blisteringly depressing and is definitely going to skew my answer to any future inquiries about if I think dogs lives are more important than humans.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

like if you actually tried to make this poo poo work instead of just having another selectively enforced bullshit law on the books you'd have everything that gets your dog neutered and registered offered at the subsidised price of free and the state would just offer to buy neuter and rehome (to someone who passes a responsible owner course or to a RSPCA facility that gets subsidised to do it or whatever) all the alleged dangerdogs

but no, symbolically ban shithead preferred dog types, do nothing substantive that costs money, pat yourself on the back and call it a day

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 14, 2024

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Surely the independent DNA test printed out is like plenty?

But yeah I get it the anxiety over the boy. Shits hosed

But you have the same problem with that as with breed specific legislation in general. An XL bully is not a recognised breed even in the us, it's just a big American bull terrier. The dna test will cheerfully tell you it's not from known lineages, but there's nothing stopping you from breeding a 60cm 50kg staff if you wanted to, and that would also be a very dangerous dog in the hands of most people that want to own 60cm 50kg dogs in a city.

If you just went "ok don't let dickheads have massive dogs that could easily do massive damage in a very short time" then the XL bully would already be illegal, along with a bunch of other dogs running around.

Bobby's dog looks like a very good boy and nothing remotely like an XL bully, who have the body shape of pro wrestlers. On top of which the police dog phrenologists already don't actually do their job at all, and I see no indication they're going to recruit and train more, so the odds are this will go exactly the same way as the original DDA and just be a massive waste of time

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's such a loving mess, and my sympathies go out to any doggo parent caught up in this madness

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Spangly A posted:

Bobby's dog looks like a very good boy and nothing remotely like an XL bully, who have the body shape of pro wrestlers.
A GIS for XL Bully turns up some very clear examples of the kinds of dogs the public think of when they think XL bully.

Which was why I found the 3 example pics included with the criteria completely unhelpful, and downright worrying considering these are the examples being given to enforcement officers:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
When it comes to priorities, this parliament has gone to the dogs.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Are those LD gains projected in orange?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Looks like it, unless the DUP have developed a radical new strategy

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

At this point Labour should be the orange or yellow ones, even officially becoming a party of pinkos would be very generous to them, and red is an insult to history.

Overton window but with the colour spectrum.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I can just imagine what a disingenuous right wing authoritarian and member of the Trilateral Commission would do with a parliamentary majority like that, especially if he can blame the previous government for all the pain and hardship he's going to inflict

We aren't on a good timeline here, are we?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

smellmycheese posted:

This is the sort of analysis we really need

Rule of Acquisition #34: War is good for business.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobby Deluxe posted:

- 3rd party insurance costing christ knows how much,
- proof you have 'safe storage' for them preventing them getting out.
- neutered & microchipped.

These three just seem like the bare minimum for responsible dog ownership. The rest of the stuff sounds like classic reactionary legislation but bringing these measures in for all dogs would be perfectly reasonable. Maybe not mandatory neutering although that's a usually a good idea if you're not planning to breed the dog.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'm surprised that there is still so much blue.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Azza Bamboo posted:

Are those LD gains projected in orange?

Yes.

Supeerme posted:

I don't understand why this thread wants to support people who see Jews as vermin to be killed. I guess Anti-Semitism is okay if the victims aren't in the West. Hamas thinks the Protocol of Zion is a legitimate document and the Houthis say Curse upon the Jews on their flag.

Like, if this isn't enough for you to say "Maybe we should not support these people." then you're telling me, a Jew, that you are not safe to be around and that you will turn on me if you get the chance.

I hope this thread understands that there is a reason why there is only 1 Jew living in Yemen. There used to be half a million before they were expelled/killed by both Houthis and the Yemen government.

Yes, Israel is committing genocide and we, as a nation should be condemning it but the fact that we're not is incredibly shameful, and yes, what we are doing to Yemen is a terrible act that shouldn't have been happening.

One, despite some folk thinking otherwise this thread is not a hive mind but a collection of individuals with their own views, so stop saying dumb poo poo like "this thread wants", thanks.

I'm glad you admit Israel is committing a genocide, but see, I don't want the UK to condemn Israel because that is just meaningless words, and the time for just words passed a long time ago. I want action to stop the genocide. Bare minimum, cutting them off diplomatically, ideally with a strong economic blockade. Because the Israeli government have shown they have no regard for the Palestinian people and regard Palestinian children as just a future terrorist. The least we can do is treat it how it acts, a pariah state along the lines of Boer-ruled South Africa. Fewer people died in 7 years of conflict in the Donbas before Russia full on invaded Ukraine in 2022 and we happily sanctioned involved individuals. Where's the freezing of Bibi's assets?

Until anyone else is doing something to at least try force the west to reign in its nominal ally, the Houthis are what we've got. If cynical realpolitik is good enough for liberals to support regimes every bit as appalling as the Houthi then gently caress, good enough for me too. The actions of Israel in the Occupied Territories are bad enough that I'm willing to cheer for Shia radicals if they are ths only one even making a real attempt to stop genocide. South Africa's attempts in the ICJ are laudable but the case will roll on for years, enough time to actually allow a lot more blood to be spilled.

Because we're not talking about hypothetical desire to do genocide here, we're talking about one with the desire, the fire power and the geopolitical allies to actually do one. I see it more like rabid anti-communists like Churchill benig willing to ally with the USSR to stop undeniably greater evil

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
mystic crispix predicts a panicked ousting of rishi and cameron returns as PM loool

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
this post, even more so than my posts gen'rally, was a mistake

crispix fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 15, 2024

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

happyhippy posted:

I'm surprised that there is still so much blue.

tribalism rules ok, huge amounts of people would vote for a desiccated white dog turd in their parliamentary elections so long as it had a blue rosette pinned to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://x.com/breadandposes/status/1746678483332329945?s=20

This is just some random guy I follow on Twitter but it's a valid point. Reform UK will do some deal with the Tories in exchange for, I dunno, some racist shite like what they're already doing, only worse.