Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't think you know what a Fortnite is either

Guns and loot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I saw someone breaking down teh mechanics involved about how much that thing sucks poo poo
-it freezes enemies faster and for longer, which increases the fall and fire damage it takes
-Frozen enemies take way less melee damage, don't take critical hits and will not spawn ammo while frozen.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

MorningMoon posted:

I saw someone breaking down teh mechanics involved about how much that thing sucks poo poo
-it freezes enemies faster and for longer, which increases the fall and fire damage it takes
-Frozen enemies take way less melee damage, don't take critical hits and will not spawn ammo while frozen.

So counterintuitively, adding a status effect to an enemy makes them take less damage (from one attack type), removes critical damage entirely (???) and then the remaining basic attack is ranged (gun specific) and that requires ammunition, which the frozen enemy will now not drop.

What the gently caress?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm heavily considering seeing if I can hack/cheat in infinite gloss in Midnight Suns because man it feels way too bullshit to unlock a cosmetic and still have to buy it

E: and the entirety of the top of the nexus page is either skimpy outfits or naked

It's one of those things where it's a struggle for a third of the game and then eventually you have more than you can spend

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nice.

Yeah, a lot of the Abbey's systems feels needlessly live service/mobile game-y which is my only real big issue with the game. I refuse to worry about five currencies, even without microtransactions and every single thing having loot rarities is annoying.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It tickles me they thought the NDA would save their rear end. Oh and also releasing the same day as Persona 3?

Yeah this game is deeeead.

...which makes it likely there is gonna be layoffs. (or possibly Rocksteady having to close down)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I legitimately think they were hoping for a typical "gently caress the Gaming Journalists, here's what a real gamer thinks" response except the real gamers agreed

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I am seeing quite a bit of that tbf, lots of "well I had fun! These journos have no idea what people want" but that's 3 or 4 people for every 2 people saying it was poo poo, decent chance they're idiots with bad taste in games AND I'd guess the people motivated to sign up for the closed beta were probably somewhat predisposed towards liking it since they'd have signed up after seeing the gameplay reveal and such. With social media there's going to be some amount of people bullshitting, culture warring, hoping to get noticed as influencers and such as well of course.

The thing is anyone saying it's good is fighting an uphill battle against my own eyes upon seeing any amount of gameplay. I bought Marvels the Avengers cause I thought there was some promise and believed the crap about them having more variety in environments and such, then Diablo 4 last year and thought it was pretty crap and unfinished, obviously now that games cost way more and I've been burned a couple times, my optimism and willingness to give poo poo in this vein a try is at a minimum, especially when there's lot of good looking games also coming out in the next few months. If it's a choice between this and FF7 Rebirth/Pacific Drive/Dragons Dogma 2 then it's a pretty easy one.

If by some miracle it does turn out to be good or even alright to play through the story and dip, well, it'll be cheaper later in the year and probably patched.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think even if Suicide Squad was less egregiously objectionable it'd still have an uphill battle to fight. It seems a lot of the industry has finally, at this point, learned the lesson: There can only be a handful of big budget multiplayer titles and the amount of investment and support they require makes stepping into the ring, even when you've got all your is dotted and ts crossed, a ridiculous risk. There's a reason Naughty Dog cancelled their Last of Us multiplayer doodad.

And that's before you get into stuff like Batman-infused enemies, a corny early nu52 edgelord storyline about killing the Justice League, being a mutant shark man who shoots people instead of biting them in half, the fact that people have been wanting a proper follow up from the "Arkham" people for almost ten years and instead get this instead, etc

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm still holding out hope they do a Justice League or Avengers musou game one day

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love that after a hugely successful and influential Arkham series, WB and Rocksteady were just like well, that's that! No need for any more Batman games ever again!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Remember when the thread was thinking Gotham Knights would suck but Suicide Squad would be great?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

People thought Suicide Squad was going to be good? Maybe it's just me, but I thought it looked like poo poo from it's first reveal.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I started playing Midnight Suns last night, and...wow.

I'm going to go ahead and say it: this feels more like what I want out of a Suicide Squad game than the actual Suicide Squad game.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

bunnyofdoom posted:

Remember when the thread was thinking Gotham Knights would suck but Suicide Squad would be great?

I think people hoped both would be good. Both are not good.

Gotham Knights has good main missions with a bunch of bullshit bolted on that makes it not good. Game shpuld have been the 4 missions, but you play each one as a separate batman character

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Suicide Squad would have been awesome 15-20 years ago

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Veotax posted:

People thought Suicide Squad was going to be good? Maybe it's just me, but I thought it looked like poo poo from it's first reveal.

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was going to be poo poo the moment I saw they gave the Shark man a gun, same with Harley. If I'm playing a video game has Harley Quinn I want to be doing acrobatics and smashing people with a giant gently caress off hammer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A Harley Quinn game should have been Bayonetta

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gotham Knights suffered from the same thing Avengers did. They both had pretty good stories that worked fine as single player but the tacked on GaaS killed it. Avengers is more guilty of that, but both games really should have been released as single players or co-op story-based games with some DLC for characters and extra missions.

Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty much how both games should have been. Looks like Suicide Squad is gonna be another of those things.

Midnight Suns is great and I started to replay it because of the thread.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Codependent Poster posted:

Gotham Knights suffered from the same thing Avengers did. They both had pretty good stories that worked fine as single player but the tacked on GaaS killed it. Avengers is more guilty of that, but both games really should have been released as single players or co-op story-based games with some DLC for characters and extra missions.

Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty much how both games should have been. Looks like Suicide Squad is gonna be another of those things.

Midnight Suns is great and I started to replay it because of the thread.

I mean, they removed the GaaS from Gotham Knights. It's just an action RPG with (largely easily ignored) holdover mechanics from when it WAS a GaaS title.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Opopanax posted:

Suicide Squad would have been awesome 15-20 years ago

Four player massive multiplayer arena shooter would look good three years after the original Halo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Waffleman_ posted:

A Harley Quinn game should have been Bayonetta

Yeah, if she's shooting guns they should be from her high heel boots.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Saw a new trailer of suicide squad that shows more of the story leaks were true. I personally don't mind killing the jla.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
killing the jla was never the problem for me, it was the whole "lets give everyone guns" design choice

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Soonmot posted:

killing the jla was never the problem for me, it was the whole "lets give everyone guns" design choice

Agreed, especially since they made one of the best combat systems ever devised for video games

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Midnight Suns DLC is on sale for PS4/5. Is this something I should grab not having started the game itself yet or is the base game just fine?

Basically, is Storm worth playing?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Midnight Suns DLC is on sale for PS4/5. Is this something I should grab not having started the game itself yet or is the base game just fine?

The base game is just fine but the DLC does add a new type of enemy and two bosses. I think opinions vary on how well the characters perform, but they're all fully fleshed out and have the same friendship levels and stuff as all the characters from the base game. On sale I say go for it, but you aren't really going to miss out on a complete story experience without it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

She is but you want this mod: Overload Explosives: lets Storm's Overload card effect explosive items in missions, making it slightly less useless.

(Taken from Skippy McPants in the VG Midnight Suns thread.)

Edit: Disregard basically all of this, sorry.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 15, 2024

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There’s a very important couple words in that post you’ve quoted that might indicate mods aren’t an option.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

All the Dlc characters are good, and the story mode for it is pretty short and sweet. I'd say worth it, and you'll have a better time mixing everyone in rather than trying to do it post game

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ThermoPhysical posted:

I started the game with all the DLC and I can't imagine not having Morbius in my group at this point.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vandar posted:

I started the game with all the DLC and I can't imagine not having Morbius in my group at this point.

[rips mask off Vandar]
A-ha! So it was a Sony executive this whole time!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
And he would've morbed away with it if it weren't for you meddling goons

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Haven’t used Storm much since you get her so late, but teaming her up with Wolverine and Magik makes me want a similar X-Men game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Xcom-Men

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Lego Suicide Squad game is gonna be incredible, I'm sure.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RareAcumen posted:

The Lego Suicide Squad game is gonna be incredible, I'm sure.

There was Lego DC Supervillains and it was

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I'm happy I played Midnight Suns and everyone should check it out.

It's really good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Haven’t used Storm much since you get her so late, but teaming her up with Wolverine and Magik makes me want a similar X-Men game.

The game IS at its best when it's going full Claremont melodrama.

Tired: Lilith taking over the world.
Wired: Magik's birthday party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Magik is the real MVP of the game.

I have a hundred hours into the game, and all I have left is friendship grinding with Morbius, and Storm to get their ultimates.