Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
The Unicorn Overlord card game has a video out explaining its rules! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4mf8jFtU_Q

I'm glad they're clearing up how the game works before release, so we can decide if it's worth getting the special edition. (I will be getting it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Finished Chained Echoes today. Quite a lot of fun with it. Didn't do 100% of the reward board, but i got all the ultimate weapons and armor I needed for my favorites, and finished the super bosses. I certainly wouldn't mind a sequel to it, they left a lot of the world unexplored and gave us a sequel hook,but it's also fine as it is.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I would really like a sequel focused with Kylian as a protagonist with a completely new party, on another continent.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is Yakuza 7 worth playing if you never played the previous games?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It plays completely different than the others and takes place mostly in a new area so it's a good jumping on point.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, there’s some recurring stuff but like 85% of the story is self-contained and the other 15% is mostly stuff you can pick up on the fly. It’s just kinda serviceable turn-based combat though, so 0 might be a better jumping on point financially if you don’t mind decent beat-em-up combat.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I think the only thing you'd really miss starting with 7 is wondering why the game is so reverent about some sour-faced middle-aged guy and a weirdo in a snakeskin jacket when they pop up eventually

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like 80% of what happens across the yakuza games only tangentially matter across each game even before you get to 7. man who erased his name was incredibly funny cause you could very easily skip from yakuza 3 to it and only miss out on like, a couple fun references to yakuza 5

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lolling at how this guy in phantasy star opened his shortcake business at the bottom of a dark abandoned cave full of dangerous monsters and when you get to him he's just like "i'm sorry for opening my shop in such an inconvenient place... would you like to buy a shortcake?"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Inconvenient cake shop is one of my favourite recurring things in PS games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Colonel posted:

lolling at how this guy in phantasy star opened his shortcake business at the bottom of a dark abandoned cave full of dangerous monsters and when you get to him he's just like "i'm sorry for opening my shop in such an inconvenient place... would you like to buy a shortcake?"
commentary on rising costs of rent

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tequila Bob posted:

The Unicorn Overlord card game has a video out explaining its rules! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4mf8jFtU_Q

I'm glad they're clearing up how the game works before release, so we can decide if it's worth getting the special edition. (I will be getting it.)

This looks really cool! I want to get this game because of its big time Ogre Battle vibes, but am unsure if i'll be able to finish the game. It looks like combat and the game in general will be pretty punishing if you lean more on the very casual end for strategy games? These sort of games always intimidate me. :sweatdrop:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think vanillaware has actually ever made anything super hardcore difficulty-wise before

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

The Colonel posted:

i dont think vanillaware has actually ever made anything super hardcore difficulty-wise before

That makes me eager to try out GrimGrimoire, actually. I'd avoided trying it because RTS games are usually really difficult for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grimgrimoire isnt really hard its just kind of tedious

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
IIRC you're rarely in danger of losing but there are a lot of things the enemy can do that will waste a lot of your time. The first thing that comes to mind is that the simplest way to approach most maps is to just build a bunch of dragons and/or chimeras, but grimalkin (casters) can just put them to sleep for like a full minute. Which is intentional, that's like the counter to big physical units, but it's one thing when you do it and another when the enemy AI does it when you've already effectively won.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
grimgrimoire is pretty easy and the remake adds a speed up toggle which is probably essential

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Muramasa could get p hardcore, I think that's it though. OG Odin Sphere had some rough spots, which the remake completely smoothed over.

I wouldn't worry about difficulty in Unicorn, I'd worry more about tediousness, yeah. Grand Kingdom was another game like Grand Knights Historia (same director I think?) and it was very tedious!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i'm curious what unicorn overlord ends up being because i found triangle strategy to be a bit too tough for me, but if this can be a notch down from that it might be my speed. that also probably would make it boring for people who actually like tactics games, though :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
phantasy star 1 might be kind of sick

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
breaking a mad scientist out of jail so he can build me a space ship, and then crossing to the next continent so i can buy the world's most acidic acid and use it to melt a pile of junk to free a navigation robot in a bombed out ruined city, just after i cross through this warehouse to get to a tiny isolated island so i can fight a second mad scientist to kill him and steal his jar

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
GUY WHO EATS CATS: give me your cat
alis:
>yes
no

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

i'm curious what unicorn overlord ends up being because i found triangle strategy to be a bit too tough for me, but if this can be a notch down from that it might be my speed. that also probably would make it boring for people who actually like tactics games, though :v:

It's not really that similar a game. Unicorn Overlord is like Ogre Battle, not Tactics Ogre - a much rarer thing to copy.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Venuz Patrol posted:

crystal project is literally exactly what you're looking for

OK yeah I guess I should clarify that yeah Crystal Project owns it wasn't quite what I was thinking of. Was thinking more like Etrian Odyssey with a final fantasy style job system.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Shiren 4 english patch came out today!

https://twitter.com/keke_094/status/1746698119386194421

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/7175/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phantasy Star 1 was the best rpg of its generation and its rerelease is the best one on the switch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm sad Sega never continued with the Phantasy Star series. It could have been their flagship JRPG franchise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I'm sad Sega never continued with the Phantasy Star series. It could have been their flagship JRPG franchise.

Its not too late, they can make more dungeon crawler spinoffs still for low budget

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

I said come in! posted:

Not sure if joking, but they've been making Phantasy Star Online continuously for over twenty years.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clarste posted:

Not sure if joking, but they've been making Phantasy Star Online continuously for over twenty years.

Different game, its got an entire other word.

I bought PSO for Dreamcast because I loved PS1 and 4 and boy, boy howdy did I not like PSO at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Clarste posted:

Look, I love Phantasy Star Online, but its not Phantasy Star.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Like A Dragon is assuming the throne as Sega's flagship JRPG franchise. However, I still believe in Skies of Arcadia HD.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

I said come in! posted:

Look, I love Phantasy Star Online, but its not Phantasy Star.

Yeah. The two are barely connected in practice, only really having some shared terminology(like spells) and a few shared concepts(like the general concept of Dark Falz as a spooky elementally evil entity who can possess people).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im gonna play so goddamn much like a dragon 8

Better let me bench Kiryu

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hey, you wanna watch 6+ hours of Ultima https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUQmCK5A6Jg

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think it's nice Phantasy Star as an RPG has an ending with 4 and I sometimes it's good just to end a series. Now should Sega kept making RPG's like it with the team instead of stopping after Skies of Arcadia? 100% but Sega gonna Sega

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, yeah. Its cold outside

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think it's nice Phantasy Star as an RPG has an ending with 4 and I sometimes it's good just to end a series. Now should Sega kept making RPG's like it with the team instead of stopping after Skies of Arcadia? 100% but Sega gonna Sega

But Sega did keep making RPGs after Skies. The Shining series has gotten like ten new installments and multiple remakes since the turn of the century.

It's just, y'know, we didn't get most of them and the ones that aren't the Diablo-style action RPGs (Shining Soul/2, Shining Force NEO/EXA) aren't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Colonel posted:

phantasy star 1 might be kind of sick

it owns. you don't get to have an 80s shoujo anime adventure every day and i wish the rest of the series had leaned into that angle the way PS1 did