Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Danaru posted:

I have solved the Egg Hitler problem

Wtf I thought my bedrooms were needlessly large

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

Big dinos have absolutely incredible hauling capacities, enjoy being able to caravan half a base around on a whim!

we have cars now.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tankbuster posted:

we have cars now.

We have a car at home. gestures at shuttle permit

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tankbuster posted:

we have cars now.

I mean yes, true, but a dino is easier maintenance and doesn't have the same technological requirements

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

A truck can be cool, but it can never be as cool as an actual dinosaur.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tankbuster posted:

we have cars now.

You disgust me

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
look, I worked hard on my modlist. You can't tempt me with dinos now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What if we were to combine dinosaurs with cars?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
speaking of which, are there submods that add things like horse drawn carriages?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Leal posted:

Could not be arsed about vehicle mods until this post. Is there a mod that gives classic cadillacs?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tankbuster posted:

we have cars now.

Even beyond the standard "but dinos are cool" reply, cars are honestly beaten flat at hauling masses of stuff compared to a few big dinos, funnily enough. 2 brontos or brachios hauls as much as three pickup trucks and t-rexes aren't far behind a pickup.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kanos posted:

Even beyond the standard "but dinos are cool" reply, cars are honestly beaten flat at hauling masses of stuff compared to a few big dinos, funnily enough. 2 brontos or brachios hauls as much as three pickup trucks and t-rexes aren't far behind a pickup.

Yeah they don't scale as ridiculously as the tier 3 vehicles do though.

Tier 3 trucks and the hauling helicopter are nuts, like 'load up your entire base at once' nuts.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Complications posted:

Thankfully, one of Rimworld's hardworking fan artists wrote a completely plausible (TM) comic explaining how this works. Here.

Personally I think the sun’s faulty. Probably hasn’t been maintained in a while.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So loving sick of rebooting my sun. I think the core needs defragged or is damaged or something, probably it's an out of date os you probably shouldn't even be rebooting it all the time like that anymore.

Also I keep doing these hardcore extreme environment self-challenges and lol they actually just suck really bad sometimes. Like I get a quest to save somebody, have 0 food, am getting hunted by feral lynx, if I leave my hovel everyone will immediately freeze to death. The actual save quest would be really easy to do, it's just any slight fuckup is an instant death sentence.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Rimworld:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

So loving sick of rebooting my sun.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Leal posted:

Oh I played the poo poo out of the arcade game of this back when I was a kid! :allears:

Tankbuster posted:

speaking of which, are there submods that add things like horse drawn carriages?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3028675048 Note that you don't actually hook up animals to the vehicles, rather they are just built with the animals included, represented by a cost in hay usually. But they were hella useful for early-game movement. The balloon is particularly fantastic for a couple of specific cases like getting to a doctor's request or the like.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh I played the poo poo out of the arcade game of this back when I was a kid! :allears:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3028675048 Note that you don't actually hook up animals to the vehicles, rather they are just built with the animals included, represented by a cost in hay usually. But they were hella useful for early-game movement. The balloon is particularly fantastic for a couple of specific cases like getting to a doctor's request or the like.

thank you so much. Now as long as the mod works fine with giddy up I should be good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Logically it should require a horse worth of horse meat and leather, reassembled into a horse of varying quality.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Personally I think the sun’s faulty. Probably hasn’t been maintained in a while.

Even the finale is titled Waiting For The Sun (To Light Up Again Goddamn)

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Doltos posted:

It was a really bad nerf because the game lends itself to a turtle style due to combat being garbage. As long as a 0 combat pawn can beat a 10 combat pawn when both have equal weapons and armor then people will turtle, especially if they don't have enough pawns in their colony yet.

There's a lot of questionable balancing in the game. I dislike malaria/plague/flu because penoxicillan isn't the easiest thing to get right off the bat in a starting colony. It makes the debuff trivial with a large colony and devastating with a smaller one. There's also no trigger for either other than not taking your penoxicillan. There's so many mods to fix headaches like Common Sense and better hauling that it's insane Tynan hasn't taken an afternoon and fixed stuff yet.

What do you guys mean by "turtling" and "turtle strategy?" I Google'd this and found people using actual turtles as meat sheilds. I... don't think thats it, but it is rimworld so maybe?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Goobish posted:

What do you guys mean by "turtling" and "turtle strategy?" I Google'd this and found people using actual turtles as meat sheilds. I... don't think thats it, but it is rimworld so maybe?

Building a really strong wall and traps and mounted guns to defend against raids with. You throw most of your citizens into hiding and force the enemy through the wringer to get to you.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Ms Adequate posted:

Ugh I'm getting the "ten jobs in ten ticks" bug, which I can normally fix by just changing work priorities or force-hauling something around or whatever, but this one has some of my idiot fucker morons all doing it because they're desperately trying to pack their inventories completely full of tea and iced coffee. I have no idea why, because nobody else is doing this, but there's nothing that I can see connecting the people who are or contrasting them with the people who aren't. Nothing to with chemical interest, where I got the pawn, their assigned jobs, or where the stuff is being stored; I tried shifting it over to another storeroom and they just went over there and did the same thing. I have solved it by simply excluding the offending pawns from the main storeroom entirely and keeping that stuff only in there, which is kind of inefficient but working okay atm.

I've run into the big before as implied, but I've never had it for them trying to just put stuff in their own inventory rather than taking something somewhere, and it's a huge pain in the rear end lol

e; Wait I found the common thread! It was totally unexpected, hence my complete confusion: They're all animal handlers. They're trying to load up on that poo poo so they can go do their taming/training jobs. :psyduck:

This comes up sometime for super-chromed colonists. There is, of course, a mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1266811081

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Goobish posted:

Turtling is an idiom in strategy games of all varieties. Instead of going on the offensive or giving a poo poo about "initiative", you build tons of stationary defenses and wait for the enemy to engage on terms favorable to you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
it's kind of a bummer because the game really pushes you into that tactic unless you nerf it a bunch or intentionally play in ways that exploit the wealth-based difficulty ramp.
e: I says this as a player who almost never builds turrets, and never uses them as a primary defense at all

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

That's why I like self preservation mod and turning off mechanoids. If I get hit with a big humanoid raid I'm not necessarily having my pawns focus fire, I spread out their fire to try to convince as many enemies as possible that this just isn't worth dying over and then they break and leave. Maybe out of 20 attackers there's 3-4 bodies

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The only way I managed to live without turtling the gently caress up was to purpose-build my base for urban warfare and it was not an effective solution compared to walls and heavily defended gates by any stretch of the imagination (I don't do caves). The problem in the mid- and late-game are the numbers.

Funnily enough, playing Zombieland was fun because it basically is just "get walls up and now you have a labor tax for shooting that ebbs and flows in intensity" which is a lot better than the mindless killboxing necessary for raids because it's an always-on sort of thing.

Also it's better for roleplay purposes to set up hyper-efficient killboxes to deal with Zombies rather than setting up hyper-efficient killboxes for human raiders which will naturally lead you towards warcrime simulators.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've done urban fighting set up and the key is that you hope they don't kill everyone and burn everything. After they kick my rear end and steal half the colony the wealth drops, the raids become easier, and you rebuild until it happens again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I did do one colony with no walls and a bunch of houses that formed chokepoints but it was frustrating because the enemy would just ignore my pawns and gently caress off to the other corner of the colony to start breaking walls or attacking animals.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Doltos posted:

I've done urban fighting set up and the key is that you hope they don't kill everyone and burn everything. After they kick my rear end and steal half the colony the wealth drops, the raids become easier, and you rebuild until it happens again.
I wonder how viable a defensive strategy it would be to have just a bunch of really expensive stuff you don't care about just lying around everywhere, maybe in some wooden sheds so the raiders feel like they're getting away with something. Have some really thick walls for your main base and see if they don't just get tired of chipping away at stone and just go for the easy plunder and leave.

Sure any raid that would be satisfied by something like that that would just as easily be wiped out in a burn box, but if you were trying to be as nonviolent as possible it could save a lot of raider lives. I just wonder if you could crank out enough wealth between raids to keep it up.

Obviously mechs would still be an issue, as would breachers with their monomaniacal obsession with beds, but you can't save 'em all.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Leal posted:

I did do one colony with no walls and a bunch of houses that formed chokepoints but it was frustrating because the enemy would just ignore my pawns and gently caress off to the other corner of the colony to start breaking walls or attacking animals.

This is my main reason for walling up and killboxing; less that I gain an advantage in the fight itself, more that I can dictate where the fight takes place and have my guys behind preprepared defensive objects and stuff.

I guess on the other hand if you are willing and able, you could build defenses in every direction and gain a different advantage because the enemy might dilute their own forces going for different targets.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Whoops

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I got nervous and had to check mine. Luckily it's only 21 kb.

But what the heck is going on with your modlist that is bloating up the log file like that, friend :psyboom:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's a longstanding bug where sometimes the log file just explodes, even without 500 mods.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Starting to drop down to 150 tps so time to update performance fish and pray :( maybe I should track down one of those save cleaners this save file has to be well beyond 20 years now

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

I got nervous and had to check mine. Luckily it's only 21 kb.

But what the heck is going on with your modlist that is bloating up the log file like that, friend :psyboom:

I'm at 538 mods and it was a battle between

code:
Exception ticking LargeMechGestator307708 (at (166, 0, 190)): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
and

code:
GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced. 
so maybe its time for a medieval run

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.
I recall the old advice to that was to delete the contents of the log before saving it as a read only text file to prevent it from blowing up again, though obviously that approach has limitations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kanos posted:

It's a longstanding bug where sometimes the log file just explodes, even without 500 mods.

Oh god I forgot it exploded

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Leal posted:

Oh god I forgot it exploded
This should be the thread title

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Kris xK posted:

I'm at 538 mods and it was a battle between

code:
Exception ticking LargeMechGestator307708 (at (166, 0, 190)): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
and

code:
GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced. 
so maybe its time for a medieval run

Have you tried not pushing more GUIClips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Hunting is a lot easier now :v: