Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

I think it's worth considering that Lucas seemed to become a bit of a cynic over the course of his life and career. Even though he was very politically-aware and anti-war as a young man, the purity of wisdom he imagines Yoda having seems like the optimism of a young man. Making a figure of purported sage wisdom into a hypocritical warmonger and violent warrior seems like the cynicism of a left-leaning man who burnt all that optimism away over decades of bitter social and political disillusionment.

Does it? Or does it retroactively make the OT even more optimistic?

That's what I hate about current Star Wars media though, just wallowing in bitter social and political disillusionment.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Watching Caravan of Courage rn. I actually kinda like it. It’s a pretty sleepy fairy tale with a lot of charming practical effects and it’s shot pretty well.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Isometric Bacon posted:

I definitely remember poor critical reception of the prequels and the many years of 'George Lucas ruined Star Wars' talk.

But kids of the time loved them, unburdened by expectations, and watched them a million times, just like the older groups fell in live with the originals.

It's these kids that grew up to create all these memes, bringing it back into the public consciousness, and generally, people look back on them with nostalgia in a much more positive light.

Time will tell if this happens again with the Disney Sequels, but I somehow doubt it with all the subsequent tv shows and never ending Star Wars media. Kids also have other franchises that have grown exponentially to compete for their attention.

I teach at a K-12 school, and I can tell you that most of the kids are pretty ignorant of Star Wars and do not care. Marvel and Minecraft have way more clout.

If they are into Star Wars, then they typically have older stuff like Darth Vader shirts or whatever. The LEGO Star Wars stuff is cool among the elementary crowd but I think that is more to do with LEGO than Star Wars.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RBA Starblade posted:

Young Yoda should have been portrayed by a massive bodybuilder with a flowing mane who never did anything but utter wise sayings and ask if you judge him by his size

Grin from the Mighty Ducks cartoon?

2house2fly posted:

It's a pretty classic cliche of martial arts stories and the like that the old wise master who everyone thinks is past his prime will at some point fight someone and bust some super cool moves thus demonstrating he's still got it. To translate this to Yoda in Star Wars, he has to be using a lightsabre and using the Jedi Council approved backflip combat

E: Yoda chat reminded me of this tweet

https://twitter.com/depechejoe/status/1592297919453233154?t=9b7fpMTdPo8xxzse5VHesg&s=19

I agree with the comments: Way better if it's Darth Jar-Jar.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg0SmgoSMg4

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

The LEGO Star Wars stuff is cool among the elementary crowd but I think that is more to do with LEGO than Star Wars.

Yeah, my two elder sons are six and ten and when we go to the newsstand, they show a bit of interest in the Star Wars LEGO magazines. But when the time comes to chose what to take home, they always pick literally anything else.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's long been an area of interest that baby yoda has taken such a dominant position in disney even as all other yodas have seen sharp declines. Even young albeit not a baby normal yoda achieved little traction, despite this enthralling concept art

Young Yoda should totally have jet black, slicked back pompadour hair.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Isometric Bacon posted:

3 feet of jet black hair

eventually leading to crippling back damage and a cane for life

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

3 feet of jet black hair

Well now I want to see Suicide Kings but with Yoda in the Christopher Walken role

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

No Mods No Masters posted:

Probably the most obvious problem setting wise was the only 1 million clones thing. Which was really not so bad by modern JJ standards I suppose

I half-remember Karen Traviss descending from moderately well-liked EU author into universally hated lightning rod over inventing ever more outlandish reasons for why one million clones is actually 100% the appropriate size for a galactic army and crossing the line by putting them into her novels and thus making them kinda canon (and then calling her haters Talifans over it). It might be worth rereading Republic Commando novel shitposting over it, but I remember it being a more innocent kind of internet hate than you'd see today, with "the enterprise would totally blow up your star destroyer and here's 25 pages of shitposts overanalysing screenshots and calling you a moron to prove it" vibes, not "feeeeeeemaaaleeessss ruining my star wars, heil trump" vibes

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Also, Imperial Cross-Sections had numbers in actual real world units for Star Destroyer firepower that just so happened to align with what had recently been posted by obsessive star wars nerds making GBS threads on star trek nerds by estimating the spherical mass of iron a single turbolaser shot could vaporise from the Falcon chase scene in Empire Strikes Back :allears:

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I do love that for decades nerds have been trying to chase plausible science / engineering to Star Wars, only to have it completely fall apart with whatever nonsensical thing the next movie introduces.

I gather they just gave up entirely when Palpatines ghost raised 1000 star destroyers out of the sand and the entire galaxy's fleet stopped them all with horses.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Isometric Bacon posted:

I do love that for decades nerds have been trying to chase plausible science / engineering to Star Wars, only to have it completely fall apart with whatever nonsensical thing the next movie introduces.

This has always been a hilarious part of SW fandom to me. George Lucas clearly wanted to make a fun space opera adventure romp but people treat it like HARD SCI FI. No, a parsec does not make sense as a unit to measure how well you did in a race, no matter what bullshit you come up with. Either take it as "Han was bullshitting" or "it was a goof and it doesn't matter, the takeaway is it's exceptionally fast"; the "no this makes perfect sense because" take is just loopy.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Han isn't exactly bullshitting; he genuinely doesn't know what a parsec is. Neither does Luke, who also probably has never heard of the Kessel run. Obi and Chewie may know, but it doesn't matter.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

suck my woke dick posted:

obsessive star wars nerds

Obsessive Star Wars nerd (singular). Curtis Saxton ran the Star Wars Technical Commentaries fansite, which largely revolved around using his PhD in Astrophysics to make up big enough numbers to satisfy the fans' need to make the Empire stronger than Star Trek's Federation (and satisfy the fans' need to see the Ewoks genocided). They ended up hiring him to write some of the Incredible Cross Sections books, which allowed him to include all of his ludicrous numbers.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Star Wars is such soft sci-fi that when Harrison Ford saw the Millennium Falcon's cockpit and asked how you fly it, Lucas was perplexed by the question

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Also, Imperial Cross-Sections had numbers in actual real world units for Star Destroyer firepower that just so happened to align with what had recently been posted by obsessive star wars nerds making GBS threads on star trek nerds by estimating the spherical mass of iron a single turbolaser shot could vaporise from the Falcon chase scene in Empire Strikes Back :allears:

Point defence guns with firepower of two-hundred gigatons per shot.

Robot Style posted:

Obsessive Star Wars nerd (singular). Curtis Saxton ran the Star Wars Technical Commentaries fansite, which largely revolved around using his PhD in Astrophysics to make up big enough numbers to satisfy the fans' need to make the Empire stronger than Star Trek's Federation (and satisfy the fans' need to see the Ewoks genocided). They ended up hiring him to write some of the Incredible Cross Sections books, which allowed him to include all of his ludicrous numbers.

He grew up in my hometown, lmao. Wish I knew what they were putting in the water out here!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I half-remember Karen Traviss descending from moderately well-liked EU author into universally hated lightning rod over inventing ever more outlandish reasons for why one million clones is actually 100% the appropriate size for a galactic army and crossing the line by putting them into her novels and thus making them kinda canon (and then calling her haters Talifans over it). It might be worth rereading Republic Commando novel shitposting over it, but I remember it being a more innocent kind of internet hate than you'd see today, with "the enterprise would totally blow up your star destroyer and here's 25 pages of shitposts overanalysing screenshots and calling you a moron to prove it" vibes, not "feeeeeeemaaaleeessss ruining my star wars, heil trump" vibes

That's probably near the bottom of the dumb poo poo Karen Traviss has gleefully done to earn the hate, really. Pretty sure she's the one who insisted Gears of War has canonical rape camps.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Karen Traviss is an actual vile chud with horrible ideas and having her poo poo be laundered into Star Wars is truly one of the worst things to ever happen in low stakes nerd poo poo.

Honestly this is still ongoing! This whole Mandalorian poo poo is Karen Traviss's brainchild

Although at least right now the regular Mandos are Fett level chumps instead of Fett level super soldiers.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 15, 2024

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Robot Style posted:

(and satisfy the fans' need to see the Ewoks genocided)

There's literally a Star Wars EU comic which has a crusty retired stormtrooper ranting about how the Empire might have lost, but at least the loving Ewoks were in the blast radius so they got bombed to the stone age from all the death star bits raining down on them. The other characters point out there was a victorious rebel fleet with big space guns flying around so they just blasted all the debris before impact. The stormtrooper breaks down :laugh:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

There's literally a Star Wars EU comic which has a crusty retired stormtrooper ranting about how the Empire might have lost, but at least the loving Ewoks were in the blast radius so they got bombed to the stone age from all the death star bits raining down on them. The other characters point out there was a victorious rebel fleet with big space guns flying around so they just blasted all the debris before impact. The stormtrooper breaks down :laugh:

lmao

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Karen Traviss is an actual vile chud with horrible ideas and having her poo poo be laundered into Star Wars is truly one of the worst things to ever happen in low stakes nerd poo poo.
oh good, totally guilt free nostalgia trip then, woop woop

quote:

Honestly this is still ongoing! This whole Mandalorian poo poo is Karen Traviss's brainchild

Although at least right now the regular Mandos are Fett level chumps instead of Fett level super soldiers.

Yeah kinda, I also remember the gnashing of fandalorian teeth when the 3d animated clone wars series had the mandos be a peaceful civilisation which eventually got threatened by chuds wanting to murder everyone back into instituting the bad old ways of hundreds of years ago.

KOTOR 2 also had a decent mandalorian take (then again KOTOR 2 had many decent takes) which has them basically be so e-honorable they'll space bushido themselves into extinction unless someone gets them to leave the middle ages, and also they only got that way because the last couple sith lords manipulated them into being cannon fodder

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 15, 2024

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Point defence guns with firepower of two-hundred gigatons per shot.

There is no kill like overkill, please excuse me while I destroy your planet

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yeah kinda, I also remember the gnashing of fandalorian teeth when the 3d animated clone wars series had the mandos be a peaceful civilisation which eventually got threatened by chuds wanting to murder everyone back into instituting the bad old ways of hundreds of years ago.
And then Mando S3 ends with the various remnants and offshoots of the lovely Mandalorians in control of their dead planet.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
The Mandalorians throughout the Star Wars franchise are very much writers wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The manderlorians and the jedis are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.

E: for real though, manderlorians are straight-up the old fan notion of jedi as wandering warrior-monks who do good deeds sometimes, now mixed with Lucas’ understanding that they are also fixers and enforcers.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 15, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Robot Style posted:

This is so funny to me, because I remember years ago a friend of mine who is about into Star Trek as I'm into Star Wars said that if the Enterprise ever were to face off against a Star Destroyer, it would easily win, because, "Star Destroyers are still using lasers!" Giggle giggle. I just stared at him blankly for a few seconds before saying, "...who could possibly give a poo poo?"

I can't imagine trying to make Star Wars, the series with literal space wizards, make sense in any real world scenario. But Star Trek, sure, that's part of the whole deal.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

thrawn527 posted:

But Star Trek, sure, that's part of the whole deal.

lol what? The show we got :techno: from?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Grendels Dad posted:

lol what? The show we got :techno: from?

I've always felt like technobabble is an attempt to make the crazy future tech "work" in a real world scenario. Make it "make sense" enough for fans. Like in a, "Sure, that could work..." kind of way. Am I wrong?

Star Wars tends to not have technobabble because most people don't give a poo poo.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 15, 2024

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Isometric Bacon posted:

Are these better or worse

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

quote:

I can't imagine trying to make Star Wars, the series with literal space wizards, make sense in any real world scenario. But Star Trek, sure, that's part of the whole deal.

Star Wars is actually sci-fi, while Star Trek is straight-up fantasy.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Now that's crazy talk.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

josh04 posted:

lol, this is such a DBZ villain approach.

Or Last Airbender. The original plan for Aang's Earthbending master was to have them be some big, buff wrestler type. Then they flipped that and we got Toph as we know her.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's easier to imagine the end of the Jedi than it is the end of capitalism

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I've always felt like technobabble is an attempt to make the crazy future tech "work" in a real world scenario. Make it "make sense" enough for fans. Like in a, "Sure, that could work..." kind of way. Am I wrong?

That's definitely changed in the post-Abrams era of Trek. I worked on Season 3 of Discovery and we raised a lot of concerns about the plausibility of the turbolift void that's 10 times larger than the ship it's in. We were told "it's Star Trek, it doesn't matter".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Robot Style posted:

That's definitely changed in the post-Abrams era of Trek. I worked on Season 3 of Discovery and we raised a lot of concerns about the plausibility of the turbolift void that's 10 times larger than the ship it's in. We were told "it's Star Trek, it doesn't matter".

I'm sure there's corners of the internet that have figured out the mass and physics of that void and have turned it into some manner of superweapon to be used against whichever race turns out to be immune to phasers and photons today

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I watched only a bit of Star Trek (the original) when I was a kid and what I remember is them arriving at earth-like planets with english speaking greek gods and stuff, so the above doenst seems wrong at all

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Isometric Bacon posted:

Slicked back hair, white bathing suit, sloppy steaks, white couch. Not liked me back then, you would have.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Elias_Maluco posted:

I watched only a bit of Star Trek (the original) when I was a kid and what I remember is them arriving at earth-like planets with english speaking greek gods and stuff, so the above doenst seems wrong at all

I guess that's a good point. I was mostly thinking of the Star Trek I grew up on, which was TNG. TOS is filled with god-like creatures all over the place. TNG doesn't have nearly as many. Mainly just Q.

I definitely think the fans of Trek focus more on the science-y details, though, than Star Wars fans. But I'm wildly generalizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

But the Ewoks were already in a Stone Age?