Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1746844844788527613

The rebels will definitely rebel this time... honest....

30p for a meal, £20 million to ship one Syrian to Rwanda. If there's a worse oval office on the planet, don't point them out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Microplastics posted:

I quite like that visualisation which shows each constituency as an equal-size hexagon, arranged such that it still makes the shape of Britain

lol

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like a fat red man with a chode coughing up a cloud of COVID while doing a tiny little poop

it’s perfect

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
What's the black hex represent?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've read enough folklore to know that we don't talk about the Black Hex.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I assume the black hexagon is the speaker.

I simply refuse to believe Labour can win a landslide that dramatically with that loving wet rag as leader. 385 is almost as many seats as Attlee picked up in '45 ffs. Imagine having a majority big enough to do that sort of change & wasting it on that loving useless turd

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Starmer can't possibly win the election and he isn't trying to do so. The Tories just can't possibly not lose it, and are acting accordingly by looting as much as they can before the curtain falls. After all, they know that Keith won't prosecute them - they're rich paedophiles.

DreddyMatt posted:

Speaker's seat, I think?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
No northern goth party to vote for ☹️

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

DreddyMatt posted:

The speaker.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

forkboy84 posted:

I assume the black hexagon is the speaker.

I simply refuse to believe Labour can win a landslide that dramatically with that loving wet rag as leader. 385 is almost as many seats as Attlee picked up in '45 ffs. Imagine having a majority big enough to do that sort of change & wasting it on that loving useless turd

Yeah, I remember a wave of optimism in the 1997 election and even then, the turnout/ swing to Labour wasn't that impressive, once you dig into the numbers. The next election will depend on the Tories striking a deal with Reform more than it will people going out and voting for Starmer.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

DreddyMatt posted:

that's black rod

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

From what I can tell reading around, you need to go to court with all of that evidence to get the dog back, you can't use it to stop the impounding in the first place. And if they run out of space in the kennels before it goes to trial, they just kill the dog anyway.

Most owners of impounded dogs get at best an apology when they finally manage to get anyone to look at the proof.

This is not what happens as routine procedure.

This is what happens when you sign paperwork when the police seize your dog to 'hand' them over to the Police. You are under no obligation to do this, they cannot force you but they will often pressure you to do it. As soon as the paperwork is signed you effectively give the dog to the state.

I recommend you read this link:

https://wheldonlaw.co.uk/my-dog-has-been-seized-by-the-police-what-should-i-do/

If you do not sign the paperwork your dog will not be destroyed (Unless it causes serious injury or shows high level of aggression to the vets/dog handlers as to be unsafe).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I thought they were asking what the black hex represented on the coughing red man, to which I simply reply: nipple.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

^^^ Starmer can't possibly win the election and he isn't trying to do so. The Tories just can't possibly not lose it, and are acting accordingly by looting as much as they can before the curtain falls. After all, they know that Keith won't prosecute them - they're rich paedophiles.

Oh, I'm sure the Tories will lose. But Labour picking up half the seats in Scotland is loving bleak. The Nats on 20 would still be an all-time result for the party without Nicola Sturgeon as leader, where they only managed double figure MPs once, October '74, & even that was just 11. But it'll be seen as a win for the Fergus Ewing/Kate Forbes/Alex Salmond types & that's just as bleak a prospect as Kieth's Labour resurging.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

I thought they were asking what the black hex represented on the coughing red man, to which I simply reply: nipple.

It's the UK in human form, so shriveled black heart

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Oh, I'm sure the Tories will lose. But Labour picking up half the seats in Scotland is loving bleak. The Nats on 20 would still be an all-time result for the party without Nicola Sturgeon as leader, where they only managed double figure MPs once, October '74, & even that was just 11. But it'll be seen as a win for the Fergus Ewing/Kate Forbes/Alex Salmond types & that's just as bleak a prospect as Kieth's Labour resurging.

Is this just the fallout from the finance irregularities or has the SNP shat the bed?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sanford posted:

Edit: the “very surprising” email he sent the boss a week ago accuses the business of being unsupportive, unsympathetic and causing his anxiety, in a somewhat circular argument. It threatens further steps if further steps aren’t taken. It’s not very well written but our HR company say it needs to be taken seriously. It is by all accounts a massive escalation, also ballache.
Again, as someone who has anxiety I recognise the process of panicking and not thinking rationally. And then doubling down on it because I'm not thinking rationally, and then it all escalating in a way that seems entirely preventable when looking at it from the outside with the benefit of not having anxiety.

Honestly it sounds to me like the guy is spiralling, especially the 'not very well written' part.

He doesn't want to be doing this job. He kind of knows he can't. But if he quits, that makes it really easy for the DWP to deny him benefits and he'll more than likely lose everything. So he has to try and hold on even though he hates it and knows its not viable long term. That really does a number on your brain's ability to function.

I don't think he's even consciously trying to get fired because of the logistics of the benefits system, I think he's stuck in a loop he feels he can't get out of. I also get the vibe that he probably has a counsellor telling him what he 'deserves' and what's important to his mental health, but is not really practical in reality.

When I was signed off I resisted it as long as I could because I felt like I was letting everyone else down, knowing the department was overloaded and other people would have to pick up the slack. Even though I had an occupational health doctor using words like chronic and I was having panic attacks at the thought of having to go back, knowing that none of the accommodations would have been made (or taken seriously by other members of staff, because it would have meant no longer hotdesking in a room where there were not enough workstations, for example).

A lot of the things I was being told I needed were not possible because of the nature of the job, or more accurately because the management structure didn't want to accept the full recommendations of the H&S manager and occupational health. So I can see things from this guys perspective really easily because I've kind of been there. I knew I was putting extra workload on my colleagues because I was no longer capable of doing that job, and I was no longer capable of doing that job because they wouldn't change how it had to be done.

Which obviously sucks for you because the owner doesn't want to have to keep this guy on the books AND pay / train someone else to take on the extra work. This guy clearly doesn't have the mental fortitude to come back and do the job as expected. And you are being put under an unreasonable strain by your boss' failure to adapt to this situation or build any resilience in his staffing. How would he cope if you needed time off, eg with a broken arm or communicable sickness?

Maybe I'm just projecting, and everyone else is right and he's pulling a fast one. I'm just trying to get across that I have been stuck in that situation of slowly losing your job and panicking, I've had the kind of anxiety that makes people panic and lash out / overcompensate when their acommodations aren't being met, and I've felt absolutely wretched knowing that the time off I needed was loving over an already overloaded department.

E:

Sanford posted:

In between those two posts I learned he was in loving Spain while I was doing his job! Let’s draw a line under it here, thanks.
In retrospect I have probably wasted my time typing all of that out. This poo poo smacks of Jamie Oliver blaming people on benefits for having big screen TVs. Mental health is definitely something that improves by never taking a break or allowing yourself anything nice.

You clearly just want him to be the bad guy and don't want to even try to imagine what it'd be like in that situation, keep going I guess.

Rappaport posted:

It suddenly makes sense that the shared UK trauma isn't Hitler, or Thatcher, it's Excel.
I half remember there being a spreadsheet to do with covid that ended up losing a bunch of data because some knobend set it up to use rows as headings instead of columns, but the only stuff i can find on the bbc claims it was because they used the old 2003 XLS format and not the new XLSX format. Or you know, a loving database.

All I use excel for is automating working out my daily word count, but if anyone touches me conditional formatting I swear I'll do time.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 15, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Loving the thicc red Britane

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Loving the thicc red Britane

You and me both, baby :allears:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E:

In retrospect I have probably wasted my time typing all of that out. This poo poo smacks of Jamie Oliver blaming people on benefits for having big screen TVs. Mental health is definitely something that improves by never taking a break or allowing yourself anything nice.

You clearly just want him to be the bad guy and don't want to even try to imagine what it'd be like in that situation, keep going I guess.

I’m really sorry you feel that way. I read your original post and thought yes, exactly. When people ask why I’ve been sticking up for him in word and deed all this time, your post is the answer. But when he’s talking to us on WhatsApp on New Year’s Day about looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow knowing full well he’s in Spain and doesn’t have a flight booked in the next twelve hours, I have to start wondering just how much I can keep this up. Don’t you see that?

Sorry Crispix I tried.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

DreddyMatt posted:

More circular firing squads
:justpost:

If I'd known it was wish granting day, I would've set my sights higher

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sanford posted:

I’m really sorry you feel that way. I read your original post and thought yes, exactly. When people ask why I’ve been sticking up for him in word and deed all this time, your post is the answer. But when he’s talking to us on WhatsApp on New Year’s Day about looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow knowing full well he’s in Spain and doesn’t have a flight booked in the next twelve hours, I have to start wondering just how much I can keep this up. Don’t you see that?

Sorry Crispix I tried.
I see it, I just don't think this is a clear cut reddit AITA post where assuming malice is correct.

All I can do is restate that people with anxiety can't think rationally, and it leads to a lot of mistakes and behaviours that are easy to misinterpret as malice.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Is this just the fallout from the finance irregularities or has the SNP shat the bed?

Well, it's a bunch of things. The shine is definitely off the SNP after the financial poo poo, plus the party is kind of split not just between centre left & centre left but also the TERFs & the decent humans and also the gradualists & those who seem to think we should just UDI or something, plus they've been in government here for 19 years by the time of the next Holyrood election. Even the Tories only managed 18 from '79 to '97. The most recent example I can find that long or longer with one party in charge at Westminster is before the 1802 Act of Union, to the reign of George III. either from 1768 or 1774 to 1806. And that's foggy because the party system was extremely foggy then. My point being they are probably due for a spell out of power anyway, but it just happening now, with this loving Labour Party lead by this loving empty suit is galling.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Don't suppose Sarwar could mysteriously step down due to missing knee-caps and someone decent take the reigns?

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Notoriously difficult to step down without knee caps, unfortunately.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
taddling on naughty old lazy-bones shirker skiver :nono: to this thread and so many posters like

loool

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i hope the fucker gets 6 months off on full pay and floats back in with zero consequences :hehe:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you know... if i am to have an opinion on the matter

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

DreddyMatt posted:

No northern goth party to vote for ☹️

be the northern goth party you wish to see in the world

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I would simply not view mental illness as a character flaw.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Don't suppose Sarwar could mysteriously step down due to missing knee-caps and someone decent take the reigns?

Nobody decent in ScotLab stands the vaguest chance of getting the nod. Scottish Labour is absolutely loving rancid. Katy Clark is good. Monica Lennon & Paul Sweeney are alright. Alex Rowley is soft-left. Richard Leonard is a failed leader already. You needed to be nominated by 4 of the party's 23 MSPs & 1 MP, Lennon managed 4, Anus got 17, with Leonard & Jackie Baillie as leader & deputy not involving themselves. I think you'll sooner see the left in charge of the Tories than ScotLab.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I see it, I just don't think this is a clear cut reddit AITA post where assuming malice is correct.

Hanlons razor

also a reddit AITA would have a sudden final stunning twist in the tale that flips the story on its head, like the guys name is revealed to be Mr ABdP Johnson or something

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

Is Sarwar really that bad? Or is it just the UK press mafia turning their guns on the leader of the one significant political party that isn't already entirely in hock to them?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

kecske posted:

Hanlons razor

also a reddit AITA would have a sudden final stunning twist in the tale that flips the story on its head, like the guys name is revealed to be Mr ABdP Johnson or something

The Daily Mail runs these sorts of stories so regularly that they must have a template that they just update with names and basic details each time:

"Head chef speaks out after celebrity leaves note savaging his cooking skills - but does he have a point??" Some of our readers sided with the celebrity, while others pointed out his rudeness. What do you think? Have your say below!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Is Sarwar really that bad? Or is it just the UK press mafia turning their guns on the leader of the one significant political party that isn't already entirely in hock to them?

Scottish posters have very much given me the impression that Sarwar is Starmer but more boring / less infuriating but equally worthless.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I would simply not view mental illness as a character flaw.

I would simply not excuse every lovely action because the perpetrator has anxiety

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sanford's definitely getting hosed over but as a mega ultra anxiety haver I can fully sympathize with the colleague, and the fault for the loving lies with the bosses who have failed to build resilience in the system and be able to handle something like this (it's literally their primary role! They're there to ensure things run smoothly!). He's totally correct that they're failing to accommodate him. He's not right to take aim at Sanford AFAICT though I do understand how his brain took the original statement Sanford made and turned it into something much worse than light joshing. I have received similar comments in life and my brain has told me "He's saying he hates you, like he's truly viscerally repelled by you, and he's right to - you should die. You should kill yourself so you stop being a burden on everyone else you know. They'll be better off, even the people who think they'd be sad won't take long to realize how much they wanted you gone."

We all know that Sanford meant no such thing. Anxiety just doesn't care, the colleague absolutely has a logical part of his brain trying to say "No, hang on, at worst he's just a bit frustrated" but the anxiety will overpower that and either convince you it's actually far worse, or just convince you that someone being frustrated with you is a tremendous problem that demonstrates how irredeemable you are.

I can easily see him thinking that a few days away from everything would be good for him/might actually feel necessary to prevent him doing something drastic. He might be being a chancer, but he also might be holding on by his fingernails.

Of course from my online perspective I can also see that your frustrations are completely reasonable and that regardless of the cause, your work situation is currently extremely difficult as a result of what he's doing and not doing. It's just that it's not his fault, it's his hosed up brain and, ultimately, living in a system where he's got a hell of a mountain to climb to get even part of the support he actually needs from the state while having a condition specifically designed to prevent him climbing said mountain.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

Pistol_Pete posted:

He's nothing to get excited about imo, when Scottish Labour voted in favour of Holyrood's gender recognition reforms which were subsequently overruled by Westminster with Keith's full support he didn't make much of a noise about it iirc, and fell back in line quite quickly

Then again the crop of major party leaders up here is a stale nightmare all around, Humza Yousaf didn't excite me to begin with as he's a product of private education. it's been nice to have a FM who's been making the right noises on IP, pretty inevitable since he has Palestinian family, but on every other count I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons to vote SNP

Douglas Ross is a contemptible little fart-sniffer, and I don't know who's leading our flavour of Lib Dems these days. Patrick Harvie is alright I suppose, I know the Greens have a co-leader but as someone whose interest in party politics grows weaker by the day I can't remember who they are

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Too much nuance
Could you reduce that down to a gif or something please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

dadrips posted:

Patrick Harvie is alright I suppose, I know the Greens have a co-leader but as someone whose interest in party politics grows weaker by the day I can't remember who they are

Lorna Slater, she's canadian and seems like a good egg (and was my local MSP before I moved out of Edinburgh).

Sarwar seems like the most pointless weathervane - he frequently makes all the noises that he thinks will get you elected in Scotland (ie, same noises as SNP and Greens) but then immediately goes all quiet as soon as daddy Starmer reverses all of that in order to vote how he thinks will get you elected in England (ie, same noises as Tories).

Douglas Ross can get his thumbhead chucked down the bottom of a well, smug faced little turd.

I've been enjoying how Yousaf hasn't at all been polite to tories or shy about saying they're shitebags, I wasn't expecting that from his pre-election campaign which had painted him as the Steady Hand, Hands Across The Aisle type.