Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

General Dog posted:

The fact that he’s interviewing is barely even news.

The newsy bit is here:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1746868931359379521?t=gPFNTTvVfXZFzdI_QLJu2A&s=19

I wasn't really aware of the Chargers having other candidates, or having a long process. That was the hang-up with Harbaugh and Minnesota - supposedly zoom interviewing once, then he thought the in-person interview was a formality. Apparently they grilled him for quite some time when he thought he had the thing clinched, possible that the Chargers are running the same deal.

Thus, Harbruary! Going to be a long one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I hope he gets it so we can stop speculating if he'll go to the NFL every single year

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Leveraging my run of Big 10 championships and national title into the one of the lower end jobs in the NFL, where I'll go 6-11 twice and get fired.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

PostNouveau posted:

Leveraging my run of Big 10 championships and national title into the one of the lower end jobs in the NFL, where I'll go 6-11 twice and get fired.

I’d bet the quality of life difference between college head coach and NFL head coach has never been wider.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I would have bet the Cowboys

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'd gladly go 5-11 for 2 years on the Chargers.

Just slum it out in some $1100 studio (:ca:) and pocket the rest.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Would you even need an apartment? Just haunt the training facility. Crash on the couch in your office, crash on that one assistant's couch in their office. Back hurts? Sleep on one of the trainer's massage couches.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

PostNouveau posted:

The chargers have never fired a coach that soon. If anything they hold on to them too long, except Marty who they fired too soon. The also have a young franchise QB. It’s one of the more attractive jobs in the league, dipshit owner aside.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He also has proven track record in the league.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

General Dog posted:

The fact that he’s interviewing is barely even news.

It would be weirder if he wasn't imo. I do the same thing all the time, it's a skillset you have to keep trained. That said, lol lmao if he goes. Doubly lol lmao if he crashes and burns like Sabes did at the Dolphins.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Warbird posted:

It would be weirder if he wasn't imo. I do the same thing all the time, it's a skillset you have to keep trained. That said, lol lmao if he goes. Doubly lol lmao if he crashes and burns like Sabes did at the Dolphins.

I mean he’s already gone to a Super Bowl.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Harbaugh wasn't fired either. He had beef with the front office, and they struggled for power, so he just left for Michigan. Him going to college was the big shock, because he easily could have stayed in the NFL.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

swickles posted:

Harbaugh wasn't fired either. He had beef with the front office, and they struggled for power, so he just left for Michigan. Him going to college was the big shock, because he easily could have stayed in the NFL.

right. he's proven he can succeed in the nfl and i think it will eat at him that john has won superbowls, including one against him.

the michigan fans i know irl don't think he'll go because "it's too late in the cycle and will burn too many bridges." i don't agree with this, he got them a playoff title and has set the program up for success.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

swickles posted:

as a niners fan who was very upset about harbaugh leaving, it was announced by york as a 'mutual parting' but he was absolutely fired.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The chargers are to cheap to fire him in two years unless he’s like historically bad

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Neil Armbong posted:

right. he's proven he can succeed in the nfl and i think it will eat at him that john has won superbowls, including one against him.

the michigan fans i know irl don't think he'll go because "it's too late in the cycle and will burn too many bridges." i don't agree with this, he got them a playoff title and has set the program up for success.

im surprised by this. im fully expecting harbaugh to leave, it's mission accomplished as far as i'm concerned

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Donovan Edwards not declaring is a shock. RB value is not great atm, and I could see him being a Rd 3 RB since he doesn’t have as much tread as Blake the Great. drat.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

post hole digger posted:

as a niners fan who was very upset about harbaugh leaving, it was announced by york as a 'mutual parting' but he was absolutely fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBG-XEjDrS8

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/pff_college/status/1746967833274130929?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

drat. He’s a baller.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

post hole digger posted:

Right, but he wasn't "fired" for being a bad coach, he was fired for the power struggle. When you look at the 49ers after he left its pretty clear who was right.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

swickles posted:

Right, but he wasn't "fired" for being a bad coach, he was fired for the power struggle. When you look at the 49ers after he left its pretty clear who was right.

For those who don't know/remember the power struggle was Harbaugh thought Jed York (failson extraordinaire) was a little bitch when he inherited the team. Harbs didn't want him in the locker room after a game and told him as much. York ran him off and replaced him with one of the worst hires in the NFL of the last 20 years. York eventually realized he was a dipshit and hired a good GM/coach combo and hosed off.

Harbs has been a good coach everywhere he's gone, the big knock on him was that he couldn't win the big one but that's moot now.

Unrelated but drat do I feel bad for Will Rogers. His coach dies, the last min scramble replacement is a DC who immediately nukes the offense. So he transfers this offseason and decides on going to UW a week before Deboer leaves. Now he's back in the portal.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

I have stupid homer-hope that Harbs will stay at Michigan for the complete control of the program he gets and ability to develop players and just be a general weirdo which he loves, but I'm realistic that it's at best a 50/50 shot he stays. Also, who cares, we got that natty and embarrassed Ohio three times along the way. I just hope we keep Moore (ideally as HC) and Minter.

It feels like four goddamn months since the CFP game but after just one week it still feels great. To be. A Michigan Wolverine. Plus Rod Moore and the Don both coming back is awesome.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Sherrone Moore should be the HC once Jim leaves.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Our last WR who had any solid production is in the portal now as well, that's almost literally our entire two-deep that won't be back next season. Good lord, Fisch will have to do a hell of a job just to get us to .500.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Manoueverable posted:

Our last WR who had any solid production is in the portal now as well, that's almost literally our entire two-deep that won't be back next season. Good lord, Fisch will have to do a hell of a job just to get us to .500.

Pray your boosters offer the farm for Noah Fifita and Tet McMillan.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Manoueverable posted:

The good news is that the portal goes both ways, though it is unfortunate that the coaching change is happening this late.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Sounds like Fisch is bringing his own strength coach which is too bad because the players love the current guy and it sounded like he was open to staying. I think in that case they should have lift-off to see who gets the job.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Manoueverable posted:

start praying you steal most of UA's roster

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

LANK and legal action from slander really breaking Mcafee's brain

Please just self immolate

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Edna Mode posted:

Sounds like Fisch is bringing his own strength coach which is too bad because the players love the current guy and it sounded like he was open to staying. I think in that case they should have lift-off to see who gets the job.

Honestly, there's going to have to be a lot done to convince me this hiring process won't result in a complete and utter disaster.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
possible that this is one of the weirdest tweets I've ever seen

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1747013449409052841?t=i36MoCVj6PI0TA-ToImPHA&s=19

and this is from the team that does yearly schedule anime intros

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/jasonscheer/status/1747016726523556237?s=46

Omg.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

1. It's really weird to announce you've interviewed a candidate unless that candidate has accepted the job. The Chargers look stupid if he doesn't take it.

2. Man, that sucks for Arizona. They need to bring in some temporary retread coach like Lovie Smith just to try to stabilize things for a year or two.

Manoueverable posted:

Honestly, there's going to have to be a lot done to convince me this hiring process won't result in a complete and utter disaster.

It does seem like a bad sign that the Arizona program was collapsing to some degree before Fisch even left, so I'm not sure that bodes well for Washington.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Komet posted:

1. It's really weird to announce you've interviewed a candidate unless that candidate has accepted the job. The Chargers look stupid if he doesn't take it.

2. Man, that sucks for Arizona. They need to bring in some temporary retread coach like Lovie Smith just to try to stabilize things for a year or two.

It does seem like a bad sign that the Arizona program was collapsing to some degree before Fisch even left, so I'm not sure that bodes well for Washington.

Not really sure how guy going from 1 to 5 to 10 wins at a dead end program that was apparently quarter billion in debt is a negative for UW.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Holy poo poo, that team is completely gutted now coaching staff-wise, and I'm sure the players are running for the portal exits

Edit:

Komet posted:

This wasn't because of Fisch though? Arizona's finances are decently borked right now, in part because of their cash on hand, the loan made to athletics, and other issues.

Edit: To put it into perspective, Arizona (and possibly the other two 4-year state schools, ASU and NAU, I can't remember) had a program where the tuition that incoming freshman had to pay, would be locked at that rate for the four years it was expected to take to complete it. So if starting tuition was $12k/year, it'd be that their Senior year.

As part of trying to get their finances straight, they're ending that. Obviously it's not an inexpensive program, but it was pretty well regarded when announced at the time since there was a lot of public anger about ever-continuing tuition increases. This is in addition to upcoming layoffs, furloughs, a hiring freeze, no COLAs, etc.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 15, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sucks to be those two guys

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Those two guys got Pac-12’d.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

possible that this is one of the weirdest tweets I've ever seen

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1747013449409052841?t=i36MoCVj6PI0TA-ToImPHA&s=19

and this is from the team that does yearly schedule anime intros

Chargers playing on Iron Man mode so achievements are enabled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Would you even need an apartment? Just haunt the training facility. Crash on the couch in your office, crash on that one assistant's couch in their office. Back hurts? Sleep on one of the trainer's massage couches.

Chad Johnson style ftw