Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

Steam Deck: The sex update comes out in just two days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have my OLED coming this week after my original deck died an ignoble, me being an idiot death and I’m excited to have a deck again. Any new “must have this if you have a deck” games come out since September?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Ineffiable posted:

The sex update comes out in just two days!

this was honestly a crazy headline and article to read with zero context https://www.gamespot.com/articles/cult-of-the-lambs-highly-anticipated-sex-update-is-coming/1100-6520171/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

The sex update comes out in just two days!

they just can't help themselves, can they.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mr.Maximilian posted:

It's a good suggestion but it wasn't wired when I was getting flawless performance on the Backbone + iPhone -- otherwise I'd have worried more about that. When I'm sat in the same room, there's literally line of sight from PS5 to Eero, Eero to SteamDeck. And a few metres distance, tops.

I haven't used an Eero (nor use meshes in general), but chances are it's smart enough to use different channels at each base station to reduce crosstalk.

So you're using the same channel for both PS5 to base station and base station to Deck when you're connected to the one in the main room, but different channels when you're connected to one of the others with the Deck.

Transmission is noise to everyone but the two devices in that conversation, so you get more noise on both legs when you're on the same base station: ps5 to base station and base station to Deck.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Just get a 50ft Ethernet cable and connect it to the Deck with a USB-C adapter.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PantsBandit posted:

I've heard that it gets repetitive after a while and I have a weird mental block with starting a game I think I won't finish. But I'm gonna give it a go. It's a new year and a new me

It gets extremely repetitive but you can "win" before you reach that point. I'd say the biggest problem is that the town upgrades eventually become unbelievably boring (the toilet is a shockingly exciting upgrade, the slightly larger toilet is much less so) so that side of the game really falls off. If you struggle at any point and take too long to progress you can find yourself well beyond the interesting parts of the various upgrade systems before you reach the end.

But it's still a great game and if you don't insist on throwing yourself at it after you've beat the final boss then I think it's the kind of thing you can safely expect to finish before it really wears out its welcome.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is there a steam deck dock that also works with the nintendo switch?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Barreft posted:

Yeah if it's set up right you don't have to do anything, it even stays between switching from stable to beta.

Only thing I had to make was not being connected to a VPN at first connect, like with Moonlight. After the first connect it works even on VPN. But I use nordvpn and know poo poo all about networking.

No such luck for me, I can't connect with WinSCP unless my VPN is off (nordvpn, even with split tunneling telling WinSCP to operate w/o a VPN doesn't work 😞). Are you using WinSCP or another client?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://skullnco.com/collections/steam-deck/products/steamdock?variant=44494667612452

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Genki stealth dock

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Dave the Diver and Dredge were both great on the Deck but I'd like to test it's capabilities a bit more. I know it's possible to get Red Dead 2 working on the Deck but is it actually a fun way to play? Or does a game like that just not work in a handheld form?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 15, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it works great at 30fps

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pierson posted:

Dave the Diver and Dredge were both great on the Deck but I'd like to test it's capabilities a bit more. I know it's possible to red Red Dead 2 working on the Deck but is it actually a fun way to play? Or does a game like that just not work in a handheld form?

There are a ton of big games that work great. RDR2, Elden Ring, Death Stranding, Cyberpunk, just to name a few

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Elden Ring in particular works waaay better than it has any right to, because apparently Valve specifically worked with FromSoft to get its performance up.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Beve Stuscemi posted:

There are a ton of big games that work great. RDR2, Elden Ring, Death Stranding, Cyberpunk, just to name a few
Oh for sure, I just asked RDR2 specifically because I've played the other ones to death and not really explored the first much. If it can hit 30fps even if it sucks battery life out that sounds like it could be fun!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Genki stealth dock

Thanks both!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Pierson posted:

Dave the Diver and Dredge were both great on the Deck but I'd like to test it's capabilities a bit more. I know it's possible to get Red Dead 2 working on the Deck but is it actually a fun way to play? Or does a game like that just not work in a handheld form?

Sifu runs and plays really really well if you bring the graphics down from the top setting. 90fps. It feels and plays like it was developed for the Deck. Fantastic game, hard, but fair.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Pierson posted:

Oh for sure, I just asked RDR2 specifically because I've played the other ones to death and not really explored the first much. If it can hit 30fps even if it sucks battery life out that sounds like it could be fun!

Just don't forget that streaming (especially using Moonlight+MoonDeck) is a great option for big games, too. Sure you could tweak your settings to get by on ~25 fps and a loud fan, or you could stream it from your local PC (or remote using Tailscale) at full performance with a nice, quiet fan.

I hate to keep mentioning it but after using it for Starfield and Baldur's Gate 3, I'm really sold on local streaming as the most practical way to play big games on the Deck

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That assumed people have a gaming PC, like some sort of big nerd

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That assumed people have a gaming PC, like some sort of big nerd

I.. that's true. It's come up in conversation before, but I keep forgetting that owning even a non-gaming desktop PC is kind of weird and unusual now.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

You can also stream your sports game from your PS5 with Chiaki… for the people who wear sunglasses in the back of their head

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Animal posted:

You can also stream your sports game from your PS5 with Chiaki… for the people who wear sunglasses in the back of their head

:cheers:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Snackmar posted:

Just don't forget that streaming (especially using Moonlight+MoonDeck) is a great option for big games, too. Sure you could tweak your settings to get by on ~25 fps and a loud fan, or you could stream it from your local PC (or remote using Tailscale) at full performance with a nice, quiet fan.

I hate to keep mentioning it but after using it for Starfield and Baldur's Gate 3, I'm really sold on local streaming as the most practical way to play big games on the Deck

I haven't really looked into Moonlight/MoonDeck. Does it just stream whatever's on your PC (including stuff outside of Steam) onto the SteamDeck?

Like, could I make it stream my PC Game Pass games to the SteamDeck?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I haven't really looked into Moonlight/MoonDeck. Does it just stream whatever's on your PC (including stuff outside of Steam) onto the SteamDeck?

Like, could I make it stream my PC Game Pass games to the SteamDeck?

That's right, you can add any non-Steam games to Steam and stream them, though Game Pass also does it remote from MS servers via Edge, using these official instructions from Microsoft. (To play Game Pass games streamed locally, there are sometimes some extra hoops to make an .exe file available to Steam from the protected game folders on your hard drive)

The full combo is:

- Sunshine on your PC https://github.com/LizardByte/Sunshine as the host
- Moonlight on your Steam Deck from the Discover app store in desktop mode
- Decky Loader on your Steam Deck, with the MoonDeck plug-in from its extension store

(Without MoonDeck, you launch Moonlight as a separate app and then choose a game. With MoonDeck, you launch each game directly from the library using a moon icon instead of the play button - the primary effect being that each game can have custom mapping for controls)

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 15, 2024

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got the new AGDQ Humble Bundle despite having most of the games in it. I’d never heard of Astalon before, but it’s turned out to be quite the gem of a game. It’s an NES style Metroidvania with three swappable characters. Every time you die, you can use the orbs collected from killing enemies to upgrade your characters. It’s incredibly charming.

Anyway, here’s a key for Sonic Adventure 2:
W6DFQ-FB6W4-W2LLF

And the Battle DLC:
ZQ5HG-GWIMG-AIKPJ

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Snackmar posted:

That's right, you can add any non-Steam games to Steam and stream them, though Game Pass also does it remote from MS servers via Edge, using these official instructions from Microsoft.

That's not streaming from my PC though. It's setting up Cloud Game Pass to stream through Edge on the SteamDeck, right? Does it even require Moonlight? (Or is that built into the community package for this?)

I don't have Game Pass Ultimate, though I guess I could upgrade if that's the best way to get Game Pass games running on the SteamDeck.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

That's not streaming from my PC though. It's setting up Cloud Game Pass to stream through Edge on the SteamDeck, right? Does it even require Moonlight? (Or is that built into the community package for this?)

I don't have Game Pass Ultimate, though I guess I could upgrade if that's the best way to get Game Pass games running on the SteamDeck.

That's right - so when it comes to Game Pass games, you can either choose to add them as non-Steam games to Steam and then stream via Moonlight, or, you can choose to use the official instructions to do Microsoft streaming of Game Pass games. The local streaming option is better in all respects, but I just wanted to make sure to mention that it's not the only option for Game Pass.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Snackmar posted:

That's right - so when it comes to Game Pass games, you can either choose to add them as non-Steam games to Steam and then stream via Moonlight, or, you can choose to use the official instructions to do Microsoft streaming of Game Pass games. The local streaming option is better in all respects, but I just wanted to make sure to mention that it's not the only option for Game Pass.

If I'm streaming locally over Moonlight from my desktop PC, I assume the downside is that I can't do it from outside my WiFi network (or at least the experience probably won't be good, if I do a bunch of port-forwarding fuckery to get it to work)?

Whereas Game Pass Cloud should work well from anywhere with a decent Internet/WiFi connection?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yes and yes.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Thanks for the information. A lot of my backlog right now is on Game Pass, so I'll probably give Ultimate a try for a while.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So, I got Open X-Com Extended to install and run just fine. What I don't know how to do is run mods. As I recall, mods for it are normally in the Documents folder on Windows. But I installed using Wine. S where did it create the mod folder? I'm a big dum who cannot virtual machine.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Snackmar posted:

Why would someone have to add non-Steam games to Steam if they're using Moonlight? I thought that would only be a requirement for Steam Link streaming.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The original Genki Covert Dock will work with the Deck, but it's recognized as a slower charger since it's only 30W (although this hasn't been a problem for the few times I've used it in practice) and you're limited to 1080p60 output.

Genki recently announced the Covert Dock 2 which is 45W with 4Kp60 output and specifically compatible with both the Switch and Deck.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

Quixzlizx posted:

Why would someone have to add non-Steam games to Steam if they're using Moonlight? I thought that would only be a requirement for Steam Link streaming.

Presumably if you want to use MoonDecky or whatever the name is, so that you can add game-specific input mapping etc. I just went the lazy route and added exes or shortcuts to my EGS games into GeForce streaming, and run Moonlight as its own app. Works fine, I’ll explore MoonDecky if/when I need to mess with inputs.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

speaking of non-Steam games, I have successfully gotten Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown running on the Deck via Ubisoft Connect (Ubisoft+). this is a perfect portable game (given its lead development platform was the Switch) so its stupid as hell that it got caught up in the Ubisoft EGS exclusivity deal, but thankfully it isn't that bad to get running. you'll want a mouse and a keyboard but I promise this only takes a few minutes outside of waiting for the download:

(via https://pimylifeup.com/steam-deck-ubisoft-connect/)

1. Go into desktop mode and download Ubisoft Connect
2. Add the installer as a non-Steam game and, in properties -> Compatibility, set it to use Proton 8.0
3. Install as normal
4. Go back to Steam and change the properties of the entry you made for the installer to point at the launcher EXE. You'll have to find the "app ID" under the compatdata folder, which is most recently-updated folder.

Launch target "/home/deck/.local/share/steamapps/compatdata/<APPID>/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/UbisoftConnect.exe"
Start in Directory "/home/deck/.local/share/steamapps/compatdata/<APPID>/pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher"

(make sure you put quotes around both entries or it won't work!)

5. Open Ubisoft Connect, log in, and install the game.
6. Add a new entry for the Ubisoft launcher by going to Add Non-Steam Games and adding the same UbisoftConnect EXE. Name this "Prince of Persia" or whatever.
7. Set "launch options" to the following:

code:
STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH="/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/<APPID>" %command% uplay://launch/6145/0
8. Set the compatibility tool to Proton 8.0.

After launching the game you'll probably have a messed up resolution (I think it copies the resolution of the Ubisoft launcher window lol), but you can set it to Fullscreen and then set it to 720p and it should look fine every time you launch it after that.

Notes on sharing between PC and Steam Deck:

* Saves have to be manually uploaded/downloaded with Ubisoft's cloud on the Load Game screen.
* Logging into Ubisoft Connect on the Steam Deck will log you out on desktop. You can get through the login pretty easily on touch screen, but if you're planning to play on a TV, you'll want to make sure you log back in before docking your Deck. It will at least remember your 2FA if you set it as a trusted device, so you don't have to do that every time, just your email/password.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 15, 2024

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Annath posted:

Elden Ring in particular works waaay better than it has any right to, because apparently Valve specifically worked with FromSoft to get its performance up.

It's because the shader compilation stutter is atrocious on PC and subverted on Deck.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Question for Canadian goons who have purchased the 1TB OLED recently. How many business days did it take from after you ordered it before you got it in your hands? The limited edition OLED doesn't count.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

speaking of non-Steam games, I have successfully gotten Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown running on the Deck via Ubisoft Connect (Ubisoft+). this is a perfect portable game (given its lead development platform was the Switch) so its stupid as hell that it got caught up in the Ubisoft EGS exclusivity deal, but thankfully it isn't that bad to get running. you'll want a mouse and a keyboard but I promise this only takes a few minutes outside of waiting for the download:

Use NonSteamLauncher to automate most of this next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Use NonSteamLauncher to automate most of this next time.

i thought about this but the odds that ubisoft releases another game in the next year that i actually care about playing on steam deck is so low i didn't mind doing it manually one time

(also i can't tell if NonSteamLauncher actually creates individual game shortcuts or just installs the launcher itself? idk none of these projects ever have clear documentation)