Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

Is Sarwar really that bad? Or is it just the UK press mafia turning their guns on the leader of the one significant political party that isn't already entirely in hock to them?

Have you confused Anas Sarwar, Head of the Labour Party's branch office in Edinburgh, with Humza Yousaf, SNP leader? Because we're talking about Sarwar. Well, I think we are. We say we are. Maybe everyone has confused them.

Sarwar is a nepobaby, his dad was the first Muslim MP in the UK, winning Glasgow Govan in '97. His old man retired in 2010 & Anus won the seat, only to hilariously lose it 5 years later. He also owns a quarter share in the family business, which advertised for workers under the living wage that he claims to support. And that honestly speaks a lot about Sarwar, he'll tell you he's in favour of a living wage but the company he part owns won't even pay it. He'll tell you he supports a more radical economic plan than Corbyn/McDonnell (tbh not exactly hard, despite the press they were only radical within the narrow confines of Westminster) while also being in favour of PFI for building schools before his election to Westminster.

I'd also point out that Sarwar's first election as leader was the Holyrood 2021 results, where Labour lost 2 MSPs & recorded their worst result since the creation of the Scottish parliament.

dadrips posted:

Douglas Ross is a contemptible little fart-sniffer, and I don't know who's leading our flavour of Lib Dems these days. Patrick Harvie is alright I suppose, I know the Greens have a co-leader but as someone whose interest in party politics grows weaker by the day I can't remember who they are

Patrick Harvie is great, gently caress is this "alright" guff? Him & Slater are the co leaders of the only left-wing party in the UK with any elected representation. I'd also point out that he's also seen the party surpass the Lib Dems at Holyrood.

I also hate that I remember the Lib Dems leader is Alex Cole-Hamilton.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was talking about Sarwar, at least. Yusaf seems like a decent enough bloke and I will certainly hand it to him on the Gaza situation.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Yousaf has been a bit disappointing what with going back to the council tax freeze and schmoozing with homophobe business guy Brian Souter, but yeah I still place him ahead of any other leader up here bar the Greens

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I simply refuse to believe Labour can win a landslide that dramatically with that loving wet rag as leader. 385 is almost as many seats as Attlee picked up in '45 ffs. Imagine having a majority big enough to do that sort of change & wasting it on that loving useless turd

It'll probably get bigger as the next session goes along.
Assuming the Tories find the biggest raging rear end in a top hat to be the next leader, you can probably expect a few defections to Labour from the slightly-less-unhinged wing of the party.

Honestly, though, if Labour had a competent leadership, I don't even think 450 seats would be impossible. The Tories are such a shitshow right now, and the Lib Dems are even more of an afterthought than usual, so a manifesto promising meaningful improvements to people's lives and a clear break from the unremitting shite we've all had to put up with would be almost revolutionary.
Instead, though, Labour's presumed win will be because a bunch of not-very-bright voters will decide to choose Red rather than Blue, while everyone else stays at home and assumes all MPs are a bunch of cunts.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I honestly think once an election campaign starts, and the papers start going in hard and consistently against Starmer, and he starts coming up against other media scrutiny in TV interviews etc., that massive majority will evaporate.

It looks also like a lot of Tory losses aren't down to a surge in Labour support, but Tory votes going to Reform UK... but I don't think Reform UK are actually expected to win any seats, so they'll do some sort of deal with the Tories, that sees them withdraw from the (otherwise) safest Tory seats.

I reckon Labour will win by 25 seats at best. More likely to be a hung parliament.

In '97 (ignorant) people could look at Tony Blair and say "There's a nice man! He says he's going to sort out education and be tough on crime and ooh isn't he good in interviews!".

Now, people can look at Starmer and see that he loving crumbles to dust under even the mildest of pressure in interviews, he's a nasty grey boring oval office who openly says that things are going to continue to get worse under him. I just don't see Labour winning a massive majority under him, even if 90% of the public wanted to see the Tories hung, drawn and quartered.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I don’t think we will see any debates this time round. Any media manager with an ounce of sense will know that having those two robotic soundbite dullards in a studio can only be a vote loser

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

smellmycheese posted:

I don’t think we will see any debates this time round. Any media manager with an ounce of sense will know that having those two robotic soundbite dullards in a studio can only be a vote loser

"This is fine as long as the other guy loses more votes"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1746945408931078270

Keith gets the second least worst score out of the two :toot:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

kingturnip posted:

It'll probably get bigger as the next session goes along.
Assuming the Tories find the biggest raging rear end in a top hat to be the next leader, you can probably expect a few defections to Labour from the slightly-less-unhinged wing of the party.

Honestly, though, if Labour had a competent leadership, I don't even think 450 seats would be impossible. The Tories are such a shitshow right now, and the Lib Dems are even more of an afterthought than usual, so a manifesto promising meaningful improvements to people's lives and a clear break from the unremitting shite we've all had to put up with would be almost revolutionary.
Instead, though, Labour's presumed win will be because a bunch of not-very-bright voters will decide to choose Red rather than Blue, while everyone else stays at home and assumes all MPs are a bunch of cunts.

I sometimes wonder what a 2017 agenda and manifesto would manage to achieve in the next election. I know it would get savaged just as hard, but in 2017 that hadn't yet bitten the way it did two years later.

Fake e;

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1746945408931078270

Keith gets the second least worst score out of the two :toot:

As shite as Sunak is, bloody hell I hope Redfield and Wilton got paid well for that push polling, can you imagine being the poor bugger who had to figure out how to get people to say Starmer represents change or can bring British people together?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

At least I don't have any of that damaging hope this election. I had a chunk of hope in 2019 and it nearly destroyed me.

Hope: Just say no

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Hope: Just say nope

ftfy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Don't be a dope, say nope to hope.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

At least I don't have any of that damaging hope this election. I had a chunk of hope in 2019 and it nearly destroyed me.

At least you have your TechnoBong

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ms Adequate posted:

I sometimes wonder what a 2017 agenda and manifesto would manage to achieve in the next election. I know it would get savaged just as hard, but in 2017 that hadn't yet bitten the way it did two years later.

Fake e;

As shite as Sunak is, bloody hell I hope Redfield and Wilton got paid well for that push polling, can you imagine being the poor bugger who had to figure out how to get people to say Starmer represents change or can bring British people together?

Did they exclusively get DWP assessors in to say that Starmer is in good mental and physical health?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Oh, absolutely, I basically stayed offline for a month after that election because it was the easiest way of avoiding the sneering contempt from the "I told you so"s and the rest of the right.

This time, who the gently caress even cares?

/\ /\ /\
Maybe they swapped Keith out for someone else without anyone noticing.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

fuctifino posted:

e: lol. That's petty:

If it helps i didn't report you unless that was on my own post.

anyway loving off now.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm assuming from this that 48% of people, when asked who tells the truth, said "neither"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Supeerme posted:

If it helps i didn't report you unless that was on my own post.

anyway loving off now.

I'll take back the insinuation that it was you, and I'm sorry for biting your head off in the way that I did... but your post came across as being disingenuous and asked questions that had clearly been discussed to death in the previous pages. Owfancier said exactly the same point in the following post but in a much kinder way.

If I read your post and you the wrong way, then I apologise and ask you to continue to :justpost:

I'm a cranky old cripple prone to bad moods. We all have our faults

But seriously, :justpost:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

fuctifino posted:

Yeah I was high on hope in 2019 and I got a bodyblow from it. Now the only thing I hope is that funny things happen.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah I was high on hope in 2019 and I got a bodyblow from it. Now the only thing I hope is that funny things happen.

Shitposting and pointing at the comedy gold are all we have left - a bit like dissecting smelly sloppy turds and extracting the juicy sweetcorn nuggets.

Tony Blair lied to us in 1997: Things did not in fact get better. At least Keith isn't lying to us this time around, so I'll give him that. He's promising that things are going to becoming even more miserable :toot:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Ms Adequate posted:

can you imagine being the poor bugger who had to figure out how to get people to say Starmer represents change
He can represent change, as in he looks different. he could be a spokesperson for change. Not that actual tangible change will occur should he be elected. Just that he can stand as a representative of the kind of nebulous change that is best achieved by being 'a different bloke, doing the same sort of things, sensibly'

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1746971138721284153

It looks like they are rebelling this time, or at least making public noises :allears:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Tony Blair lied to us in 1997: Things did not in fact get better. At least Keith isn't lying to us this time around, so I'll give him that. He's promising that things are going to becoming even more miserable :toot:

Some things got better for some people, I suppose.

But crucially they didn't *only* get better.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Dylan_Difford/status/1746886158447947988

Seeing the Tories slip to third place would be loving hilarious

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Con 69: Nice.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tories are being punished for removing Lord Protector Boris. Bring him back.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What would the opposition look like with Tories in third?

Lib Con coalition with LDs being the senior coalition member and still managing to gently caress up?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

There would still be Herr Keith with his supermajority, so there would be nothing that any other party could do to change things.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Lib Con coalition with LDs being the senior coalition member and still managing to gently caress up?

Lib Dems being the entire shadow cabinet between the 5 of them, all wearing a variety of fake moustaches. Can you imagine how funny they'd look? Old... Steve? Reggie? Those guys. And the frog one. And bring back the Facebook one and make him a Lord, why not.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

considering the history of certain Tories in Africa I think the name "Rwanda Rebellion" should be reconsidered

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
What actually is the deal if there is no opposition party with more than a handful of seats? Do they have to form an opposition coalition so there are a sufficient number of shadow ministers?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

There would still be Herr Keith with his supermajority, so there would be nothing that any other party could do to change things.
Sure, but Parliament runs on convention and Keith won't change anything, so there would still be a most loyal opposition.

Thinking longer term, if Conservatives are not the second largest any more, 5 years is a long time to be out of the national voice.

The swivel eyed outlets will move to blaming Tories and putting every Reform talking head on to try to push the Tories further right, Lib Dems will waver uselessly, there will probably be a repeat of the Clegg-Farage type debate (probably on the death penalty, where the liberal wavers about mistrials and the other guy just makes poo poo up).

Then? :shrug: Tories move to the right (again) and run straight into reality when they can't just write laws to stop other countries existing? Or just fizzle out of existence?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think we'll go down the path of becoming a one party fascist state, fed by propaganda and 24/7 nationalism. We're pretty much already there, as all of the major parties answer to the same corporate interests and offer the same bleak neocon future, so I can see the political actors doing away with keeping up the illusion anymore.

But people have always called me an optimist. The future is probably going to be much bleaker.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Eh I think it would be much simpler.

The tories will just create shadow cabinet positions doing away with convention under the guise that there's no actual rule against it or some poo poo.

There'll be a little bit of a fuss in the news for a week or two and then the media will give them all the usual attention anyway.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

What actually is the deal if there is no opposition party with more than a handful of seats? Do they have to form an opposition coalition so there are a sufficient number of shadow ministers?

In 1993 the Canadian Tories flopped so hard they came in fifth place, going from a majority of 156 seats to 2. The Bloc Quebecois were appointed as Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Canadian_federal_election

Not as significant but in Ireland in 2011, Fianna Fail, a party that came first in vote share in every election since 1932 came third. The two largest parties, Fine Gael and Labour formed a coalition, so FF still formed the opposition.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Irish_general_election

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bobstar posted:

Lib Dems being the entire shadow cabinet between the 5 of them, all wearing a variety of fake moustaches. Can you imagine how funny they'd look? Old... Steve? Reggie? Those guys. And the frog one. And bring back the Facebook one and make him a Lord, why not.

Cometh the hour, cometh the Lembit :kheldragar:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The whole concept of the Shadow Cabinet sounds way cooler than it is.

They need to call it something shittier to really convey its true nature.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The DUP either going to be in coalition with CON or bully them for lunch money next parliament.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

The whole concept of the Shadow Cabinet sounds way cooler than it is.

They need to call it something shittier to really convey its true nature.

Pretend contrarists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The Tories are already scrapping the barrel in government, partly due to Boris assassinating all the sort of ken Clarke type old codgers. A crushing defeat will amplify that poo poo rising to the top effect.

Like imagine billionaire rishi hanging around to marshall his twelve teenage MPs into an opposition.