Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hasturtium posted:

I recently picked up an off/lease HP Z440 workstation for dirt cheap - 12 core Broadwell Xeon, 32GB RAM, TPM 2.0, and storage too, for under $200 - and am genuinely wondering whether it would be worth the trouble to deal with Windows 11 quailing at me that my CPU is unsupported (despite the fact that the alleged blocking issues, Core Isolation and Memory Integrity, can be turned off) or to just Hackintosh the thing.

I loved Hackintosh and was a huge proponent of it for many years, but I think its time has definitely passed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah Hackintoshing is really not worth the headaches anymore, just throw Mint or Zorin or something on it if you don't want to just use Win10

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Holy poo poo, right now is one of the rare times I'm using one of my Windows 11 laptops, and I just realized I can manually drag the (ungrouped) entries of open apps around in the taskbar. I swear it didn't used to allow that, which was another annoyance I had with it since I like to arrange the open apps in the order they appear on my screens, and it sucked if I had to reopen something or opened things in the wrong order and was stuck with them in the wrong places for my workflow.

Now if they would just let me have small icons on the taskbar it would almost be to par with Windows 10.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kibner posted:

Yup, I agree. They should have kept the touch-specific UI as is and just made it not the default desktop UI. They probably saw that kind of segmentation too expensive to maintain, though.

One of my favorite (not favorite) things in Windows 10 is the switch to toggle between desktop and touch mode, and the confusion that follows when someone accidentally gets it flipped.
I believe that at least some versions would also assume you wanted to be in touch mode if you hooked up an external drawing tablet via USB.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Holy poo poo, right now is one of the rare times I'm using one of my Windows 11 laptops, and I just realized I can manually drag the (ungrouped) entries of open apps around in the taskbar. I swear it didn't used to allow that, which was another annoyance I had with it since I like to arrange the open apps in the order they appear on my screens, and it sucked if I had to reopen something or opened things in the wrong order and was stuck with them in the wrong places for my workflow.

Now if they would just let me have small icons on the taskbar it would almost be to par with Windows 10.

Have you tried Start All Back?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

How rough/smooth is the upgrade from 10 to 11 right now? Obviously I'd have to get StartAllBack because gently caress the new taskbar bullshit, and then I'd have to go and excise copilot. Otherwise though, I've got things like my default Documents folder on a separate hard drive from my windows install and I'm wondering how well it'll preserve some more esoteric settings?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Hunter Noventa posted:

How rough/smooth is the upgrade from 10 to 11 right now? Obviously I'd have to get StartAllBack because gently caress the new taskbar bullshit, and then I'd have to go and excise copilot. Otherwise though, I've got things like my default Documents folder on a separate hard drive from my windows install and I'm wondering how well it'll preserve some more esoteric settings?

Summarizing the last few dozen pages of this thread: Depends entirely on what you care about and how much. Some people would say it's totally seamless. Some people are all in on Win 10 LTSC because of how dogshit Win11 is (this is me!). I would say, the more you care about esoteric Windows behavior, and the more opinionated you are about workflows, especially non-default workflows, the more Win 11 is likely to feel like poo poo to you without fiddling a lot.

Apparently Win11 Pro doesn't respect GPO either, so that's something to think about.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have you tried Start All Back?

Nah, I don't use these machines enough to be arsed with customizing too much. The default behavior wasn't terrible, just annoying, and I'm just happy to be able to reorder the entries to match my preferences again.

I largely got out of the habit of doing a lot of customization on my machines because I hop between machines too often, and reinstall relatively frequently, so the closer to stock I can run the easier my life is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does MS sell Win 11 ARM licenses to consumers? I recently learned you can install Win 11 on some Snapdragon devices, but was wondering how you do that legally if it's not preinstalled. (Not that I have that kind of device myself)

e:maybe you can use regular win11 keys?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Does MS sell Win 11 ARM licenses to consumers? I recently learned you can install Win 11 on some Snapdragon devices, but was wondering how you do that legally if it's not preinstalled. (Not that I have that kind of device myself)

e:maybe you can use regular win11 keys?

A regular Windows 11 Pro key works. See the note at the bottom here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...bc-121baa3c568c

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Celexi posted:

and if you need 16 bit or 8 bit you can emulate a 32 bit os that will allow you to run it!

VirtualBox is God.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Hasturtium posted:

Why the hell they haven’t replaced the Windows 2000-era Disk Management tool, Device Manager, or Registry Editor - the latter two of which made their debuts in Windows 95, and which have grown in functionality without their GUI changing to any meaningful extent - is baffling.

'Cause the stuff works and the kind of tech types who use these tools don't want it to change. ;-)

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

imperiusdamian posted:

'Cause the stuff works and the kind of tech types who use these tools don't want it to change. ;-)

It does suck to have a useful tool replaced with something superficially pretty but inferior. But I seriously wonder if Microsoft is capable of modernizing its GUI tools at this point, or if Windows 16 is going to be riddled with this stale bullshit too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

My new Corsair keyboard doesn't have a right control anymore. But I'll be hosed if I ever buy a keyboard with a loving copilot key. That's just lol.

buddy you're lucky they don't come with netflix keys

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Tiny Timbs posted:

buddy you're lucky they don't come with netflix keys

That’s what I need, a Roku keyboard with red switches.

Fat Albert
Jun 19, 2004
I am foolishly thinking of upgrading from Windows 10 to 11; however, my SSD is apparently partitioned as MBR and needs to be GPT.

Is there a way to convert the partition, with no data loss, that doesn't require me forking out stupid dollars for stupid partition software?

Advice on the internet is a disgusting jumble of conflicting AI-written trash.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Try https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Hasturtium posted:

It does suck to have a useful tool replaced with something superficially pretty but inferior. But I seriously wonder if Microsoft is capable of modernizing its GUI tools at this point, or if Windows 16 is going to be riddled with this stale bullshit too.

Windows Terminal and WSL2 are both excellent and Terminal in particular is a pretty good update for an old system in a way that works pretty well. Get those folks working on it.

Also earlier someone mentioned "I bet there are teams that people don't even know about" and uh...yeah. That's how basically any company over 10k people is going to be, and I'd argue that the limit is actually much lower than that. I worked at MSFT for a while and there were whole organizations I never ever dealt with and that's...kind of expected. My wife's friend's husband works at MSFT too and has an entirely different set of teams / etc he interacts with and there was NO overlap between us; I talked with him for like 15 minutes trying to find some thing we both dealt with and we couldn't come up with a single thing that wasn't like IT or HR.

That being said; generally within an organization you should know who the hell you're working with; I don't think the problem is double-work or anything like that, it's simply the MBA brain other people have talked about. MSFT had a bunch of leadership who were like Ballmer: Business People, who kind of knew IT. I used to prepare leadership slides and when I moved to another big FAANG company I actually got some pretty harsh feedback that I was dumbing stuff down too much.

That doesn't mean those people are stupid, and many of them were pretty canny folks, but because they're just totally disconnected from the actual software development workflow or experience, I just think they have no idea what's going to work. Instead of thinking from first principles about 'what would make our product great', you get people going 'OH gently caress WSJ IS TALKING ABOUT AI FUUUUCK WE GOTTA GET IN ON THIS poo poo'

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So am I the only one who hasn't had copilot installed on them? Two different machines, one with Windows 11 Pro and I think the other has Education. I'm not in any insider ring, and I just take the updates as they come.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't think I have, I also disable onedrive and decline whenever they try to get me to opt into something. only real annoyance with service pack updates is they clear my list of recently searched programs

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Another new button to accidentally click:

Anyone knows how to disable that poo poo and have it show the Computer icon again or whatever it was?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Falcon2001 posted:

Windows Terminal and WSL2 are both excellent and Terminal in particular is a pretty good update for an old system in a way that works pretty well.

I just started doing development work on Windows after seven years on Linux, and the combo of VSCode, Terminal and WSL2 was a really pleasant surprise. It even seamlessly forwarded ports for the web servers I was running on WSL.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone knows how to disable that poo poo and have it show the Computer icon again or whatever it was?

Uninstalling OneDrive couldn’t hurt if you have the option. The subversion of decades of muscle memory to remind your users There’s Always More Microsoft to Pay For has to be one of the worst loving things to come about in the post-Windows 7 dev cycle.

Fat Albert
Jun 19, 2004

Man, thank you! Worked perfectly.

I feel dumb for somehow not being able to find that myself

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nobody should feel dumb that the way they used the internet for years without a problem is now just throwing hundreds of pages of AI generated poo poo into their face

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Thanks Ants posted:

Nobody should feel dumb that the way they used the internet for years without a problem is now just throwing hundreds of pages of AI generated poo poo into their face

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

[/s]Folder Options --> View --> Show Sync Provider Notifications (uncheck it)[/s]

edit: doesn't work

iKickDogs fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 17, 2024

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

iKickDogs posted:

Folder Options --> View --> Show Sync Provider Notifications (uncheck it)

This does not work / will not prevent that specific nag from showing up. You'd think it would, but it does not. You can see people making that suggestion here and then realizing they're wrong: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/16sxzcg/new_start_backup_button_on_new_file_explorer/

It also doesn't matter if you've declined to back anything up in the "back up important PC folders" dialogue in Onedrive. The nagging button will continue to appear.

The one way I've found to make it go away permanently without removing OneDrive is extremely stupid: I created a symlink somewhere within all of the "important PC folders" as predetermined in Onedrive. These are Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos. Onedrive can't sync directories that contain a symlink, and the nag button won't appear.

e: For reference, what "show sync provider notifications" actually hides is a Different kind of obnoxious file explorer integrated ad:

secret volcano lair fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 16, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What’s really cool and good is that MS release all these nag features and then maybe six months later the ability to manage them will come along. So for a while you’ll have people at your company using an OS that looks like it’s ad-supported to try and do actual professional work on.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thanks Ants posted:

What’s really cool and good is that MS release all these nag features and then maybe six months later the ability to manage them will come along. So for a while you’ll have people at your company using an OS that looks like it’s ad-supported to try and do actual professional work on.

looks like?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
It has reached a point where it is truly depressing to get any work done on a Windows installation with pop ups every 4 minutes, and that OneDrive pop up is adding insult to injury. Worst is - I assume Microsoft is massively profitable, so what the hell is this all for???

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

there are many different divisions within microsoft locked in constant battle & the OneDrive guys need to see THEIR numbers go up at any cost so they can humiliate their xbox team rivals or whatever.

also just in general you don't get to be a top 2 most valuable company in the world by being satisfied with any given amount of profit

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reoxygenation posted:

It has reached a point where it is truly depressing to get any work done on a Windows installation with pop ups every 4 minutes, and that OneDrive pop up is adding insult to injury. Worst is - I assume Microsoft is massively profitable, so what the hell is this all for???

what if more profits

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I don't know why I asked because deep down I knew it was about capitalism once again,

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Thanks Ants posted:

And MS removing all their KB articles and downloads.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Reoxygenation posted:

I don't know why I asked because deep down I knew it was about capitalism once again,

You are a true scholar and a gentleman

It's not that complicated, they are trying to maximize profit. Just like how when you are looking for a job, you seek the highest salary. Or when you are shopping for a good, you seek the best bang for buck.

Posting "aha! I should've known, it's that darn capitalism" regarding the decisions of a company making the same kind of self-interested decisions you regularly make under the freedom of capitalism is the cringiest poo poo ever

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 16, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Right, it’s basically the same as me charging my family for holiday dinners

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Serotoning posted:

You are a true scholar and a gentleman

It's not that complicated, they are trying to maximize profit. Just like how when you are looking for a job, you seek the highest salary. Or when you are shopping for a good, you seek the best bang for buck.

Posting "aha! I should've known, it's that darn capitalism" regarding the decisions of a company making the same kind of self-interested decisions you regularly make under the freedom of capitalism is the cringiest poo poo ever

I don't think it's that deep and it does make sense but sure ok I guess sorry for poking fun at myself I will do better next post

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Reoxygenation posted:

I don't think it's that deep and it does make sense but sure ok I guess sorry for poking fun at myself I will do better next post

Ok well sorry I didn't mean to dispose of you in particular, I just see this kind of iamverysmart style capitalism bashing all over the forums in earnest and it's so incredibly tiring. Guess I missed some obvious irony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Serotoning posted:

Ok well sorry I didn't mean to dispose of you in particular, I just see this kind of iamverysmart style capitalism bashing all over the forums in earnest and it's so incredibly tiring. Guess I missed some obvious irony

If neoliberal capitalism didn't exist you'd have more of a point, but as it is...