Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

super sweet best pal posted:

Finally got to the part in the Dan Olsen video about the cleanup section of the documentary. He outlines exactly why that whole section is so reductive of what's actually going on, criticizing it for just being "Look how pretty the trees are", while also pointing out that cleanup probably won't happen at similar sites in less developed nations going forward. Peak liberalism from the doc.

The analysis on why The Book of Henry is a terrible story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMb7-6eg4Zo
I like the vlog he does more because it's him trying to explain in one take how insane the movie is he plays with his cat in the first few seconds and that makes it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO4o-gYkr7E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lmao a billion dollars :psyduck:
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1747011810316726442

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lmfao wtf. ive never even heard of that

i was just thinking last night how googles acquisition of fitbit for like $3 billion buckaroos or whatever seemed very dumb, considering the Brand immediately died and theyre killing it off. i don't see anyone even wearing fitbits anymore whereas everyone on the train would have one back in like 2015

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

i was just thinking last night how googles acquisition of fitbit for like $3 billion buckaroos or whatever seemed very dumb, considering the Brand immediately died and theyre killing it off. i don't see anyone even wearing fitbits anymore whereas everyone on the train would have one back in like 2015

I see people wearing Apple Watches -- is it mostly that nowadays?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

straight out of a silicon valley episode i swear.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr Hootington posted:

He never weighed in on the inflation numbers.

Sure he did, he said up is good

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

I think Garmin is also still a thing in that space

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Paradoxish posted:

Sure he did, he said up is good
Lotsa up

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Polar makes the best watch for skiing, but I suppose that’s a bit niche.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

yeah I think generic ~smart wearable~ stuff has largely killed off the fitness-focused stuff because it can do the same things anyway

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Google being gigantic assholes

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1746885264692092976?t=2ZAccXC12kxKm8f8vPNvHw&s=19

The more you yell at me the more I'll keep blocking ads, gently caress YOU

lol I had pinned it down to either a Google or chromium update and was at the point of leaving it at the sole thing running in chromium and trying to figure out how long it took before it locked up my Linux desktop so hard I'd have to alt+F2 to an emergency shell to kill chromium.

Like it wasn't just slowly down the PC, it was borderline soft locking it

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I guess I find it curious that a weed delivery service seems quite normal but a liquor delivery service seems beyond the pale, like something for scrofulous hotel night managers. $1.1 billion. Huh.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

the popes toes posted:

I guess I find it curious that a weed delivery service seems quite normal but a liquor delivery service seems beyond the pale, like something for scrofulous hotel night managers. $1.1 billion. Huh.

None of the weed delivery services are worth a billion dollars because none of them are allowed to use a bank.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Xaris posted:

they probably just wanted the software

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

garmin's still big for sports tracker watches - they have a legit advantage over generic smart watches like the apple watch with battery life. easily one week versus two days

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

holy poo poo

holy poo poo

guys

this is the company I got laid off from lmao

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

holy poo poo

holy poo poo

guys

Drizzly or Uber?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the popes toes posted:

Drizly actually had a weed delivery service which was spun off as part of the sale because Uber didn't want it

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Twerk from Home posted:

None of the weed delivery services are worth a billion dollars because none of them are allowed to use a bank.

yet drizly no longer exists curious

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Drizzly or Uber?

Drizly. Uber bought it and laid off a third of the staff a year ago. They wanted it because alcohol delivery is a tough legal problem to solve and they decided to just buy a company that had already solved it. I guess they decided they didn't actually need, y'know, the website I spent three years building lmao

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

that said

https://twitter.com/cullend/status/1747013156294054251

this guy is a fuckin moron

you had to pick the liquor store when you made your order. Drizly does not choose a liquor store for you. my brother in christ you chose the store

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Honestly this layoff was an exhausting, harrowing ordeal, but the silver lining is that if I hadn't gotten laid off, I would have to work for Uber now. gently caress that

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BULBASAUR posted:

yet drizly no longer exists curious

Yeah weed delivery makes money also, booze delivery doesn't. Tech companies don't like stuff that makes money.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

loquacius posted:

holy poo poo

holy poo poo

guys

lol goondolences. sounded like you were gone one way or another so probably good you got-got earlier instead of today.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

Honestly this layoff was an exhausting, harrowing ordeal, but the silver lining is that if I hadn't gotten laid off, I would have to work for Uber now. gently caress that

Silver linings

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

loquacius posted:

I mean... Not NOW now lol

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

lol goondolences. sounded like you were gone one way or another so probably good you got-got earlier instead of today.

Does weed delivery make money? I know in Oregon the whole recreational weed industry is teetering on collapse because we can’t export anything to other states and there’s such a glut in production nobody can make money if they aren’t diverting to the black market

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

the popes toes posted:

UPS is happy to deliver liquor where I live

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

I like the vlog he does more because it's him trying to explain in one take how insane the movie is he plays with his cat in the first few seconds and that makes it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO4o-gYkr7E

I never heard of this movie and just looked it up

what the gently caress

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Does weed delivery make money? I know in Oregon the whole recreational weed industry is teetering on collapse because we can’t export anything to other states and there’s such a glut in production nobody can make money if they aren’t diverting to the black market

ehhhhhhh idk. there's been various weed delivery startups around, some high-flying profile ones that have crashed and burned (like Eaze). there's a various rotating list of something new once and awhile but they don't seem to be doing very well. so i'd take an estimated guess and say: no.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

UPS is happy to deliver liquor where I live

Alcohol delivery is state by state (thanks 21st amendment!) so some states you can do it through UPS and some you have to ship it to a state run liquor store for the buyer to come pick up

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

ehhhhhhh idk. there's been various weed delivery startups around, some high-flying profile ones that have crashed and burned (like Eaze). there's a various rotating list of something new once and awhile but they don't seem to be doing very well. so i'd take an estimated guess and say: no.

lol quoted the wrong post but yeah I think you’re right

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I mean... Not NOW now lol

Keeping an eye on LinkedIn, it looks like the Drizly(, an Uber Company ;)) page is still up, and my connections there who DIDN'T get laid off when I did are still listed as working there, so it's possible they're just all getting assimilated into Uber proper. Whether this is worse than just a clean break with a few months' severance is, uh, debatable

certainly couldn't be me

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was really mad at the time about being laid off a couple months out from parental leave, but realistically if those layoffs had happened and I hadn't been part of them I would have been spending a bunch of the leave job-hunting anyway. At least this way there was no danger of me getting discouraged by the bad market and giving up on the search; I had to stay grinding because I had no other option.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

loquacius posted:

Keeping an eye on LinkedIn, it looks like the Drizly(, an Uber Company ;)) page is still up, and my connections there who DIDN'T get laid off when I did are still listed as working there, so it's possible they're just all getting assimilated into Uber proper. Whether this is worse than just a clean break with a few months' severance is, uh, debatable

certainly couldn't be me

i think a lot of people drag out updating their status post-layoff so they can still look like they're employed

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

loquacius posted:

Drizly. Uber bought it and laid off a third of the staff a year ago. They wanted it because alcohol delivery is a tough legal problem to solve and they decided to just buy a company that had already solved it. I guess they decided they didn't actually need, y'know, the website I spent three years building lmao

quote:

The big picture: Drizly was always a bit of an odd match for Uber, in that it didn't hire or contract its own delivery workers. Instead, Drizly provided backend tech that let local liquor stores provide their own deliveries.

The bigger issue, however, might have been cybersecurity. Drizly in 2020 confirmed a hack that exposed information on around 2.5 million customers.

was this you?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That got announced like a week after I got hired lol

Spent the last year or so cleaning up after it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
thank the previous coders for providing such an opportunity