Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Why are these so upsetting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Is she salting the sidewalk in front of her before every step?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Armacham posted:

I think that’s what’s going on

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vlaphor posted:

I just leave the stall door wide open. Bask in my glory people!
You and this one guy I used to work with. I actually had to say something to him about it.

:gonk: Shut the door, Karl.
:dumb: Oh, it doesn't bother me though.
:gonk: It bothers other people, Karl. Shut the door.

What? What is she doing? Why?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Armacham posted:

It's Scipio Africanus salting the earth following the fall of Carthage, 146 BC (colorized).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

This is a video that randomly pops into my thoughts despite not having watched it in years

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tiggum posted:

What? What is she doing? Why?

Road services salt roads under near freezing conditions to tie up moisture so that ice doesn't form up. So she's just following science

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Road services salt roads under near freezing conditions to tie up moisture so that ice doesn't form up. So she's just following science

The signage in the back and her using public transportation makes me think European, but the action seems like something only an American would be dumb enough to do.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

The signage in the back and her using public transportation makes me think European, but the action seems like something only an American would be dumb enough to do.

Also the bag has what appears to be german written on it.

She reminds me of my coworker who used the last of the anti icing salt that we had to throw miniscule amounts across almost the entire 3 acre yard, instead of just dumping a bunch of it at the doors and walkups where people are actually going to be walking.

It did absolutely nothing, since one corn of salt per square meter isn't useful.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

If you can think of a better way to make sure you don't step on a ghost I'd like to hear it

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cool Dad posted:

If you can think of a better way to make sure you don't step on a ghost I'd like to hear it

I just watch where I'm walking. This is predicated on you being able to see ghosts though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I simply don't go outside, and also don't live in a murder house

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's why you always yell "COME BACK WITH A WARRANT!"
its so funny to do this, and even more so to be on the receiving end of it

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Armacham posted:

Oh! I thought maybe it was sanitiser, and felt really sorry for her

You know, Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes really does fit as a concept, because he looks like a boiled hot dog sausage.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

I simply don't go outside, and also don't live in a murder house

I mean, I don't live in a murder house either but I do live in America and it's like the entire country is built on Indian burial grounds...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ABC11_WTVD/status/1747155499605250425?s=20

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think it's called sludge video. Like the ones where some AI is rattling off a story or something while there's someone's playing a video game on screen or something completely unrelated. Tiktok is basically just an attention span killer app.

It's called sludge video. It started in New Venice and is now spreading through the suburbs. The kids record themselves playing video games for the internet, and they put an audio track on top with an AI rattling off a story or something, but none of it is real. Completely unrelated. The computer game is not even real. Next thing they know they wake up naked in long beach covered in margarine having followed a tiktok life hack channel.

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 10:36 on Jan 16, 2024

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

wash bucket posted:

Why are these so upsetting?

Because they sound like someone repeatedly gasping for breath. If you've ever been near a CO2 discharge, that's similar to what nearby people do until it dissipates.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can't even listen to those wresters panting without feeling just bad in the chest.

Like, a visceral reaction, but with my lungs.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Lungs are viscera

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Armacham posted:

And if she hadn't done so, and had slipped on the ice, she would still have ended up in this thread. The inescapable hell you've all created for her is driving her insane.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You laugh but she's fully protected from ice demons.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slugworth posted:

And if she hadn't done so, and had slipped on the ice, she would still have ended up in this thread. The inescapable hell you've all created for her is driving her insane.
You sound salty

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
...Behemoth *step* Beelzebub *step* Asmodeus *step* Satanas *step* Lucifer *step*

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is actually my commute to work. It doesn't help a goddamn, but I feel better doing it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Those are just breadcrumbs so she can find the way back later

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
That's some German nonsense until proven otherwise.

Probably homeopathic deicer.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Nenonen posted:

Saline has a significantly lower freezing point than plain water, and some other salts (calcium chloride and potassium chlorine are the ones I know off the top of my head) lower water's freezing point even more.

There are places where it's fairly common to throw down some rock salt on the sidewalk after you shovel to prevent ice from forming as snow melts and then refreezes.

edit that said it takes a couple minutes for it to do anything and a sprinkle of table salt isn't enough to be effective anyway

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Baron von Eevl posted:

Saline has a significantly lower freezing point than plain water, and some other salts (calcium chloride and potassium chlorine are the ones I know off the top of my head) lower water's freezing point even more.

If you put some salt on your skin, and then press an ice cube against the salt, you can actually hurt yourself.

Apparently, this is now a youtube challenge, though I always take these kinds of news stories about Youtube/TikTok challenges with a grain of frostbite enabling salt.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is salt and/or sand on all sidewalks and roads in freezing weather not standard operating procedure everywhere?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is salt and/or sand on all sidewalks and roads in freezing weather not standard operating procedure everywhere?

Only in lovely places I would think.

Well for salt anyway. loving salt!!!!!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

FreudianSlippers posted:

The US has incredibly cheap, accessable salt, which affects how people think about deicing.

Salted gravel is popular here in Scandinavia, but it's nowhere near as much salt as I grew up with in the US.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lol at every year flatlanders on all continents showing their whole rear end trying to deal with the tiniest amount of frozen water

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Mine eyes have seen the glory in the gaping of the door

I need you to know that I see this and I love it thank you

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Where I live the city won't put down salt unless it's a very extreme ice storm, due to the runoff of the melt being bad for the local environment. Usually it's some liquid deicer that I don't know what it is, or gravel.

Businesses and people can still use rock salt however and most do.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Vlaphor posted:

If you put some salt on your skin, and then press an ice cube against the salt, you can actually hurt yourself.

Apparently, this is now a youtube challenge, though I always take these kinds of news stories about Youtube/TikTok challenges with a grain of frostbite enabling salt.
My supplies of sympathy have long been exhausted. If they're stupid enough to actually do this, then they deserve the injury.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've heard the same, but with laundry detergent and a claw hammer. Don't put this on your skin people, you'll hurt yourself! Don't do it!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

also if you put pepper on ketchup it'll heat up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Vlaphor posted:

My friends and I used to do this as teens (~25 years ago) as part of Dare, Double Dare, Torture.

Oh, don't want to confess about the guy you're crushing on? You're getting an ice hickie.