Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DreddyMatt posted:

What would make you vote Labour in the upcoming election?
And secondly, who do you plan on voting for?

Ukmt early polling suggests landslide victory for pm cock&balls

I'd consider voting Labour if the PLP commit mass suicide on live TV. Honestly, there's nothing realistic that would make me vote Labour because put smiply I don't trust them one iota.

As for who? Probably the SNP at Westminster, Green at Holyroord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

DreddyMatt posted:

The last election showed me that "hold your nose and vote for Labour" is not a thing that a lot of Sensible Centrists are prepared to do and now their guy is in charge I don't feel inclined to do the same for them. It's petulant, but sow, reap, and gently caress you.

Whatever I vote for in this ward is wasted anyway, so I'm going to spoil my ballot, we're planning on moving up north anyway at some point so hopefully I'll be in a better place to do something more constructive next time and there's always the possibility that if it all goes completely to hell I will ride the rest of my privilege to emigrate somewhere with a functional left wing government and a sane attitude to LGBT+ rights assuming one actually exists.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

I'm planning on voting labour because my number one priority is to get the tories out of government

I certainly don't agree with everything they stand for, and they're far from perfect but they're the best we've got as far as that priority goes

This is that critical thinking a bunch of you seem keen on and it's quite telling what you'll hold your nose to when it comes to other issues

I can't in good conscience vote for outright transphobes. Maybe that's going to let in a transphobic Tory but gently caress it, what's the difference?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Isomermaid posted:

there's always the possibility that if it all goes completely to hell I will ride the rest of my privilege to emigrate somewhere with a functional left wing government and a sane attitude to LGBT+ rights assuming one actually exists.

What privilege is that? Got a euro passport or spouse? Or something else?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They haven't said when the election is yet. I might be busy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

No, it wasn't. People were joking during the campaign that "Tony Blair MP" was an anagram of "I'm Tory Plan B", and like all such jokes it was rooted in truth. People knew, but everyone was caught up in the hype of him not being an actual Tory and the Tories themselves were worn out. I don't think Blair would have won even in 1992.

I guess that's what I mean, but then even now do people feel a hype of Keith not bring a tory?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Skarsnik posted:

I'm planning on voting labour because my number one priority is to get the tories out of government

I certainly don't agree with everything they stand for, and they're far from perfect but they're the best we've got as far as that priority goes

This is that critical thinking a bunch of you seem keen on and it's quite telling what you'll hold your nose to when it comes to other issues

Perpetuating a Labour Party that refuses to challenge the unworkable economic status quo is more damaging than anything else. Think long-term. We cannot tolerate more decades with no real opposition to the disaster of neoliberalisn. I will not vote to continue this. This is my critical thinking. A slow continual decline isn't preferable to a speedy decline, it just means takes even loving longer to get to the bottom and start fixing this 45 years of misery

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not really convinced that it will make any difference who I vote for or that having Labour win the election will do anybody any good. I don't really think they're better than the Tories, their only complaint about Tory policy seems to be that they could implement it better, or seems utterly performative in the "well this is terrible, no we wouldn't undo it" sense.

It seems like you'd just be voting for the same thing but with a new face to legitimise it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'll be voting SNP because as bad as they are, they're still the only party that want to bring about the end of Britain.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not really convinced that it will make any difference who I vote for or that having Labour win the election will do anybody any good. I don't really think they're better than the Tories, their only complaint about Tory policy seems to be that they could implement it better, or seems utterly performative in the "well this is terrible, no we wouldn't undo it" sense.

It seems like you'd just be voting for the same thing but with a new face to legitimise it.

Is that another tally for cock&balls? Or staying at home?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'll probs vote Green, I did last time in locals already.

They aren't great either but at least it sends some left signal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've got GIMP at home and I can put lens flare on my cock and balls with it.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm sending a left signal by turning on the indicator on my car :elon:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Skarsnik posted:

My critical thinking is that allowing Labour to sidle into power while promising nothing and continuing Tory policies would be a disaster and it's far better for the long term to make it clear that they need to be committed to significant change for the good to enthuse people to vote for them.

If all that changes is the colour of the rosette, the downward spiral continues.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Labour '24: No Hope is better than False Hope

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Isomermaid posted:

The last election showed me that "hold your nose and vote for Labour" is not a thing that a lot of Sensible Centrists are prepared to do and now their guy is in charge I don't feel inclined to do the same for them. It's petulant, but sow, reap, and gently caress you.
Yeah it's funny how holding your nose and voting for Labour is something that has to be done to get the tories out this time, but under Corbyn it sadly wasn't possible for them to just hold their noses and vote Labour to get the tories out without giving themself a heart attack.

forkboy84 posted:

A slow continual decline isn't preferable to a speedy decline, it just means takes even loving longer to get to the bottom and start fixing this 45 years of misery
What exactly do you see a faster decline achieving, aside from us ending up in greece-style managed austerity under the IMF? I'm not taking the piss, I genuinely want to see the working out on how societal collapse has ever led to rebuilding better without astronomical amounts of deaths in the process.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"astronomical deaths under austerity" is already a thing currently happening in the UK

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As I always say I will vote Labour because it's a Lab/Con marginal and my MP is Corbynite. I don't blame those of y'all with fuckheads spoiling your ballot.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
my main concern on election day is stopping myself from screaming his name with joy as i cast my vote for a keir starmer government. i am not ashamed of my elation but i think legally it counts as campaigning in a polling station

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DreddyMatt posted:

Rachel Reeves is booted from the party, Starmer resigns in apology for making her chancellor. She pledged ahead of a general election that she would treat people on benefits as second-class citizens, further reinforcing the hostile environment that helped lead to the carnage of COVID-19 (in addition to all the deaths before that, of course). That's entirely unforgivable.

As for my vote, I'll go Green unless my local branch embarrass themselves.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'd normally vote SNP but my MP is one of the Bad™ ones so I'm at a bit of a loss this time, my constituency usually doesn't get smaller parties. I'd pretty much reached the conclusion that I was going to spoil my ballot because honestly even the SNP are poo poo, but then Yousaf became the only party leader calling out the genocide in Gaza and it loving rends my heart that "don't support Israel in murdering thousands of people" has to be a point of contention in British politics. Is that worth me holding my nose and voting for a bad person? Ultimately even if my MP is re-elected, it won't actually stop the genocide.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

I don't blame those of y'all with fuckheads spoiling your ballot.

I think a vote against labour is more useful in the long term, but if people wanna flex their artistic skills, then have at it. Do a big veiny throbber

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DreddyMatt posted:

I think a vote against labour is more useful in the long term, but if people wanna flex their artistic skills, then have at it. Do a big veiny throbber

There are, of course, a few people in constituencies where there is no good (or even tolerable) candidate to vote for. Yay FPTP!

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Why would I ever vote for Labour as a trans person? loving arseholes and no different to the tories. I don't have a vote that promises me I will retain my rights or make anything better for people like me. gently caress them all

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah it's funny how holding your nose and voting for Labour is something that has to be done to get the tories out this time, but under Corbyn it sadly wasn't possible for them to just hold their noses and vote Labour to get the tories out without giving themself a heart attack.

But you see, this election is the most important one in a generationTM whereas 2017/19 were only the most important to a generation.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my local tory mp got his office burned down on christmas eve

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

kecske posted:

my local tory mp got his office burned down on christmas eve

probably too many lumps of coal in there

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

forkboy84 posted:

Perpetuating a Labour Party that refuses to challenge the unworkable economic status quo is more damaging than anything else. Think long-term. We cannot tolerate more decades with no real opposition to the disaster of neoliberalisn. I will not vote to continue this. This is my critical thinking. A slow continual decline isn't preferable to a speedy decline, it just means takes even loving longer to get to the bottom and start fixing this 45 years of misery

I am thinking long term

Every time a right wing government is elected the opposition parties end up taking yet another step right to make themselves electable

Getting an even mildly left wing government into power shows that left wing ideas are finally electable again

That's how you go forward with introducing actual left wing policies and governments

I'd rather put up with Keith and his tory lite for a term or two (and work from there) than the turbo right wing labour we'd end up with after yet another tory win

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Getting an even mildly left wing government into power shows that left wing ideas are finally electable again

yeah this would be nice, but "an even mildly left wing government" is not on offer

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skarsnik posted:

I am thinking long term

Every time a right wing government is elected the opposition parties end up taking yet another step right to make themselves electable

That's how you go forward with introducing actual left wing policies and governments

I'd rather put up with Keith and his tory lite for a term or two (and work from there) than the turbo right wing labour we'd end up with after yet another tory win

Any mildly left wing government likely after this election?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

DreddyMatt posted:

What privilege is that? Got a euro passport or spouse? Or something else?

My spouse does have dual irish citizenship although in practice I don't think that would necessarily make it a lot easier because of some other things.

I just meant even theoretically being able to skip out on some persecution by throwing money at the problem, even if it's by doing something drastic like emigrating, this is something not a lot of people have and I'm mindful of that when I think about voting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

I am thinking long term

The way I would look at it is the ratchet, labour getting in and continuing the Tory platform is part of the rightward shift, they get in and legitimise the platform by blocking any criticism because look, labours doing it too, then the Tories get back in when everyone has given up and go further right.

I don't think you can stop it by voting labour, that's just part of it.

What mechanism is there for making leftward progress when you've just again confirmed to labour that the best thing for them is to run as far to the right as possible?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

My spouse does have dual irish citizenship although in practice I don't think that would necessarily make it a lot easier because of some other things.

I just meant even theoretically being able to skip out on some persecution by throwing money at the problem, even if it's by doing something drastic like emigrating, this is something not a lot of people have and I'm mindful of that when I think about voting.

If you're British you can just...move to Ireland. You don't have to have any Irish heritage, there's no legal obstacle there. You can even vote in both general and local elections for candidates who aren't cunts (sometimes)

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I'm not voting for any transphobic party, which leaves me with very little options

I think the transphobic rhetoric is going to be 10x worse whenever the election comes around too, yayyyy

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I am in a very safe labour seat that at worst would go lib dem so I am voting green.

It would take labour saying they would do MMT to get me to vote for them.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

There are, of course, a few people in constituencies where there is no good (or even tolerable) candidate to vote for. Yay FPTP!

I don't have a clue who my local candidate is, but I'm voting green in the hope that at the following election they look at the metrics, see a sharp increase in green votes and put forward some better policies to win those voters.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The whole conversation is such a boneheaded inversion of how political parties are supposed to operate. They're canvassing for your vote, so they should reflect (at least some of) your expressed preferences. Instead, the voter is now expected to contort themselves to fit within the party ideology no matter how repugnant to their own morality. It honestly feels like an import from the degraded spectaclized theatre of US politics.

The fact that both parties have colluded to make everything so poo poo and dispiriting as to negate the possibility of choice doesn't mean that you should reward their cynicism by kowtowing to the Sensibles and voting for more means-tested austerity and focus-grouped murder

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

I am thinking long term

What are Labour actually, seriously offering that's an improvement on what we've currently got, though? In particular, Reeves seems even more firmly committed to austerity than the Tories are.

I'm not actually seeing evidence that them winning is going to be a victory for 'the left' in any meaningful sense - it's a contest between two different teams of personnel for control of the same far-right project.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if Labour win a landslide after having shifted so far rightwards I don’t see any way they don’t use it as vindication and continue moving in that direction

my personal best-case scenario is that they underachieve with a hung Parliament, Starmer gets the blame and the boot, and there’s maybe a small chance that someone vaguely leftist wins the leadership contest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

‘Holding your nose’ might make sense if there were some good policies mixed in with those you disagreed with, but Labour are pro genocide, anti trans, anti worker, and anti substantive climate change action. A little while ago I would’ve considered voting for them despite all the poo poo they’ve said and done, but the support of Israel was the last straw, and the watering down their climate policies cemented it for me.