Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

He's been hurt and had a few bad games in December, it's fine and power rankings are dumb clickbait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

scoot has largely sucked though

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Cam Payne was robbed of MIP in the suns finals run year.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Squinky v2.0 posted:

When kris dunn comes up I will always think about he wouldn’t work out for the Celtics or give them his medicals pre-draft because he didn’t want to be stuck behind Marcus smart and terry rozier on the depth chart.

Call me crazy but if a team wants to take you with the number 3 pick you should probably let them? They took Jaylen brown instead.

I hate to poke holes in this story, but no team is passing on a player because he didn't work out for them.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

dokmo posted:

I hate to poke holes in this story, but no team is passing on a player because he didn't work out for them.

Really? I feel like I hear about this happening, at least in other sports, and it makes sense that you wouldn't want to draft a guy that doesn't want to be there.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Teams will pass on players who don't work out for them assuming there are other players of similar stature available, but you're not going to get out of getting drafted by a team. If you are by far the best option available because you didn't give medicals or do private workouts.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dokmo posted:

my takeaway is that jaylen brown is a good basketball player even by nba standards

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Really? I feel like I hear about this happening, at least in other sports, and it makes sense that you wouldn't want to draft a guy that doesn't want to be there.

Agents are full of poo poo and lie to their clients constantly about where they are going in the draft. If you are a team with the 10th pick, you are not going to get a workout with more than a handful of potential lottery picks because all of them think they're going in the top 3. You are choosing the best player available regardless of the workout, unless maybe that player withholds their medical.

Edit it's not that the player doesn't want to be there, it's that they know you have the tenth pick and they are definitely going in the top 3, so why bother with the workout? The other side of this is that agents know there is no cost to avoiding a workout.

None of this applies to non lottery players.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 16, 2024

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

dokmo posted:

Oh I know. I never said the Celtics were going to take him - I don’t think he was ever really a target. Jaylen was clearly ainge’s guy in that draft, he went and reached for him

I just think trying to take that sort of control over the draft process as a prospect is misguided. It presumes you and your agent are smarter than the GMs. Maybe ainge wanted to trade rozier - you and your agent don’t have that knowledge. All he did was maneuver his way out of being the bench guard for one team into being the bench guard for another team (who immediately traded him)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

dokmo posted:

Vlade passed on Mudiay and told everyone it was because he didn’t see him work out so what was he supposed to do. He drafted Willie Caulie Stein instead so we were hosed either way

The scuttlebutt though is that the previous GM stole all the iPads with all the draft intel and notes, though, and apparently the team had no backups so literally all Vlade had to work with was workouts

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Didn't Dion Waiters not work out for the Cavs which made them take him #4?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

dokmo posted:

Agents are full of poo poo and lie to their clients constantly about where they are going in the draft. If you are a team with the 10th pick, you are not going to get a workout with more than a handful of potential lottery picks because all of them think they're going in the top 3. You are choosing the best player available regardless of the workout, unless maybe that player withholds their medical.

Edit it's not that the player doesn't want to be there, it's that they know you have the tenth pick and they are definitely going in the top 3, so why bother with the workout? The other side of this is that agents know there is no cost to avoiding a workout.

None of this applies to non lottery players.

But the draft pick in question was the #3 overall? What you say makes sense though. I also dont put anything past Ainge getting saved by fate/even dumber people like the Justise Winslow hypotehtical.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

But the draft pick in question was the #3 overall? What you say makes sense though. I also dont put anything past Ainge getting saved by fate/even dumber people like the Justise Winslow hypotehtical.

I think he just means in general it's not a big data point for teams.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

lol they were full strength with Draymond back and lost to this:

Also JJJ had a bad game.

At least 4 of these guys are just regens and you'd think the name generator would have avoided repeating names across one team. 2K rear end team

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/joepantorno/status/1747304550531297547

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

This is my shocked face

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

dang, he really should have known

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

Ballmer on the Intuit Dome's "Wall of Sound": "51 rows... you have to register for a 'Chuckmark', follow on IG, have to buy a jersey, be a season ticket holder, 3 or 4 different things. You're not gonna sit there if you're not really on our team."

quote:

Ballmer: "If you get up, we'll know you stood up— as long as you want us to, you gotta give us permission. We'll know how loudly you cheer. If you're good on those things, we'll give you little discounts around the shop, to reinforce that excellent behavior, that we want and need out of our fans"

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Dystopian fandom

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

developers developers developers fans fans fans

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Only a few cities have never hosted an All-Star game.

Sacramento gets a new state of the art arena, everybody loves it and raves about how nice it is.

LAC’s isn’t even finished yet and they already have it lined up for 2026.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1747359989801320683

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ghost Dog posted:

dang, he really should have known

for once I wish you had explained the joke. http://web.archive.org/web/20221006000231/https://www.billboard.com/pro/james-dolan-song-i-shouldve-known-sexual-harassment/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ballmer really missed his calling as a Midwest AA baseball team owner.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Up to at least three coaches fined for criticizing the refs this season, wonder how many more there will be.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Still waiting for the post game flopping fine on Draymond after he laid on the court for a full minute after not getting hit at all but pretending to

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

This feels like a Photoshop thread.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
This is the kind of person that boos at the ring of honor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDHJUmwgXBs&t=805s

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://x.com/shamscharania/status/1747429433865068649?s=46

Good for Indy

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Buddy on his way to the fanbase that will pretend he's good the longest unless he can somehow make his way to Portland.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bruce Brown is also in the deal according to Shams

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I wonder what Siakam's management is telling the Pacers about the offseason. If they're going to offer multiple firsts he's probably giving them better vibes than the Kings got. Hopefully he can at least pretend to be interested in resigning so the Raps can cash in on those 'SETS.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Bruce Brown is also in the deal according to Shams

I'd assume Toronto won't want to keep him around at $22m next year.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.
Shams has called things wrong a few times recently but I'd be happy to have a deal done finally.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1747425628163362894

is it finally time for the Plumlee to rise again

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

quote:

The Raptors have been engaged in discussions with several teams on a potential Siakam deal, but conversations with the Pacers have gained steam in recent days, those sources say. Sources briefed on the talks between the two teams say that there have been several back-and-forth proposals made. While the two sides have been described as being far along in the process, according to those sources, they have yet to finalize or agree to a deal.

It’s unclear where the Raptors stand, but the Pacers’ level of motivation appears high.

smh get a hold of me when anyone's got a source on the side that matters

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

send us, uh, Tari Eason??

https://twitter.com/BasketballOnX/status/1747385033092894929?s=20

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

gonna post some absolutely good schlop in here

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/jan/16/jimmy-butler-miami-heat-nba-interview

interview with Jimmy by Claire de Lune where they talk about all kinds of goofy non-hoops stuff but yall excited for Jimmy's country music mega album

quote:

He’s been quietly working on his own country album for over a year, he says, and while he’s already amassed about 60 (!) songs for the project, he aims to have recorded around 200 to choose from when all is said and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Aye Doc posted:

gonna post some absolutely good schlop in here

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/jan/16/jimmy-butler-miami-heat-nba-interview

interview with Jimmy by Claire de Lune where they talk about all kinds of goofy non-hoops stuff but yall excited for Jimmy's country music mega album
Just chiming in that Claire is a top end hoops mind despite being a Lakers fan and literal (as an artist through their music subsidiary) Warriors employee.

Eta: Also was part of a Minneapolis indie group with Lizzo.