Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Bottom Liner posted:

No one gives a poo poo about a mug shot (the chuds celebrate and parade that proudly). It doesn't count until he spends at least a night behind bars.

On the contrary, I believe everyone loves that mugshot for different reasons, but some people don't get tattoos of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

Trump is going to be the Republican candidate barring something really crazy happening or him dying.

Vivek wasn't white enough for Republicans.

A lot of Republicans won't vote for a woman, even if she's a Republican.

DeSantis is too loving weird but he's probably hoping Trump goes to jail or dies at this point.

Not really a shock, that's what the Republican party is now. It's loud, crazy, dumb as hell, and probably about 10% of the people who voted last night won't survive til November anyway.

But also, full of very special people. Very special. They say such beautiful things about your favorite president (ME!)

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

He's still wearing the high heeled boots, huh?

"smile" not found error

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Fobby posted:

I don't get why ...

I don't think anybody thinks Trump won't get the nomination itt. It's more a sign that his support with conservatives isn't nearly as concrete as him and the online chud ecosystem has made it seem. Having a long primary process is going to do further damage to him. This primary might drag into the latter half of the year, and it might still be contested as he becomes a convicted felon.

It's just a good sign that his support can (and has) degraded among Republican voters. This isn't like a normal primary where a bunch of nobodys are vying for the nomination, it's a bunch of nobodys vs a guy who has already been president, and full on half of the staunchest of Republicans said "no thanks".

If he won 100% of the vote, we're hosed as a country. It means not just the politicians are in support of an insurrectionist, but a full on 40% of our country is, and ruins any check on power there is. And nobody within his ranks could oppose him.

Now it's gonna be a bitter primary, that drags well past his felony convictions, and goes into an election where a big chunk of his reliable voters don't want him and won't be enthused about voting for him.

This result is really bad for him, and he's refraining from doing 1,000 victory lap truths because he knows it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

The Locator posted:

Sadly, even after Trump passes from this mortal coil, our choices are still going to be "the party that has demonstrated it wants us all to die if we aren't rich and white", or the dems. I seriously doubt that we will ever have a viable 3rd party candidate in my remaining lifetime.

yeh but they can't inspire a crowd, they don't have that leader 'shine' that makes people go nuts. Trump is a charismatic leader who can get people to do poo poo for him, even ill-advised poo poo they know will screw them over, such that he convinced a bunch of Boomer moms and dads to storm a govt building while threatening to hang the govt workers inside.

The future guys will be bad, but we'll get a reprieve from them being able to whip up crowds of people, and 3rd party tactics will have much more play in that arena than this one where the risk isn't 'he could try to become king'.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 16, 2024

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

How'd RFK Jr. poll?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Bottom Liner posted:

No one gives a poo poo about a mug shot (the chuds celebrate and parade that proudly). It doesn't count until he spends at least a night behind bars.

He’ll never spend a night behind bars (unless they’re made of chocolate). At absolute most, he would probably be “confined” to house arrest at MAL with full access to his golf course and country club. And to be perfectly honest, I doubt even that is in the cards.

We’re going to gently caress around and find out what happens when you elect a criminal as president and give him the power to self-pardon. Less pessimistic folks will tell you he’s lost a lot of appeal now that he’s a known quantity; he was a known quantity going into 2020 with his mountains of controversies and botched response to Covid and he still gained 10 million more votes over what he had in 2016.

Biden will still carry the popular vote, I’ve got no doubts there. But all it takes is some fuckery in the swing states, and Trump’s grinning fat rear end will be back behind the desk in the Oval Office, throwing ketchup at the walls and ruining lives like so many pairs of tortured underpants.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

redshirt posted:

Not sure if I read it here or on WaPo, but exit polls indicate 60% of caucus voters last night don't think Biden won legitimately in 2020.

Which is a sobering number if anywhere close to accurate.

That actually sounds lower than I'd expect for a crowd of people who'd risk death by exposure for the chance to vote for president and minor deity Dingle J Tingle. I wouldn't extrapolate that data point into any actual conclusions about America at large.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeh but they can't inspire a crowd. Trump is a charismatic leader who can get people to do poo poo for him, even ill-advised poo poo they know will screw them over, such that he convinced a bunch of Boomer moms and dads to storm a govt building. The future guys will be bad, but we'll get a reprieve from it being quite as effective and 3rd party tactics will have much more play in that arena than this one where the risk isn't 'he could try to become king'.

lol

Sorry, saying this about the dude who shits himself on golf courses just slays me every time, like it really falls for the same GOD KING EMPEROR WHO DID EVERYTHING BY ONLY LIFTING A PINKY FINGER fallacy that's for some reason completely blind to the fact that the GOP itself is the mechanism responsible, and they are suuuuuuper loving guilty of a lot of treason after that last cycle lmao

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

vaginite posted:

I don't think anybody thinks Trump won't get the nomination itt. It's more a sign that his support with conservatives isn't nearly as concrete as him and the online chud ecosystem has made it seem. Having a long primary process is going to do further damage to him. This primary might drag into the latter half of the year, and it might still be contested as he becomes a convicted felon.

It's just a good sign that his support can (and has) degraded among Republican voters. This isn't like a normal primary where a bunch of nobodys are vying for the nomination, it's a bunch of nobodys vs a guy who has already been president, and full on half of the staunchest of Republicans said "no thanks".

If he won 100% of the vote, we're hosed as a country. It means not just the politicians are in support of an insurrectionist, but a full on 40% of our country is, and ruins any check on power there is. And nobody within his ranks could oppose him.

Now it's gonna be a bitter primary, that drags well past his felony convictions, and goes into an election where a big chunk of his reliable voters don't want him and won't be enthused about voting for him.

This result is really bad for him, and he's refraining from doing 1,000 victory lap truths because he knows it.

Yeah, this is basically a reelection campaign for Trump. Imagine if Biden got 50% of the vote in a primary right now. We'd all be rightfully freaking out.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Escape From Noise posted:

How'd RFK Jr. poll?

He was doing better with republicans than with democrats.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Look, you're getting dogpiled and I hate that poo poo. We need to be able to discuss differing opinions.

I agree, Biden sucks especially regarding Palestine. I don't understand who you plan to support THAT COULD ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING in the presidential election besides Biden. He's wrong but he's willing to listen and change course. Trump won't do right, ever.

Trump will help destroy Palestine. Third party candidates won't win. Like, it's not up for debate, they can't win (America is broken). So either you accelerate the collapse (trump), or you duct tape the place together (Biden).

I don't understand the thought process here.

This is the first time ever I've gone against the "not voting for democratic candidate is a republican vote" line of thinking. It's a cop out that maintains the status quo of repeated dogshit democratic candidates. I'm not voting for trump, if Biden loses he only has himself to blame. Blaming the voter or vote shaming won't change that fact in the slightest.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Shishkahuben posted:

That actually sounds lower than I'd expect for a crowd of people who'd risk death by exposure for the chance to vote for president and minor deity Dingle J Tingle. I wouldn't extrapolate that data point into any actual conclusions about America at large.

That number has been pretty stable for a while.

quote:

The share of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents who believe that President Joe Biden’s 2020 election win was not legitimate has ticked back up, according to a new CNN poll fielded throughout July. All told, 69% of Republicans and Republican-leaners say Biden’s win was not legitimate, up from 63% earlier this year and through last fall, even as there is no evidence of election fraud that would have altered the outcome of the contest.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/03/politics/cnn-poll-republicans-think-2020-election-illegitimate/index.html

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yes, you could support a great candidate by participating the primary process. Then wonder why you get Hillary Clinton and Biden.

Yeah that sucks but you can't win everything and that's the only place to make a difference. You should still vote for the least bad viable candidate in the general election.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

kazil posted:

Yeah, this is basically a reelection campaign for Trump. Imagine if Biden got 50% of the vote in a primary right now. We'd all be rightfully freaking out.

Yeah this is a better way of putting it. It's like the incumbent only getting 50% in a primary.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jimlit posted:

This is the first time ever I've gone against the "not voting for democratic candidate is a republican vote" line of thinking. It's a cop out that maintains the status quo of repeated dogshit democratic candidates. I'm not voting for trump, if Biden loses he only has himself to blame. Blaming the voter or vote shaming won't change that fact in the slightest.

Way to skip over dozens of salient points made against the argument you poorly made, only to pick the one that wasn’t even truly being argued

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

vaginite posted:

Yeah this is a better way of putting it. It's like the incumbent only getting 50% in a primary.

Me, forgetting this, feeling suddenly like I forgot to act normal:

"Oh, right. lmao."

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

When Trump gets closer and that first whiff hits you

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Wow can they do that? Give the presidency to the person who got less votes of the two? In America?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

digital penitence posted:

He's still wearing the high heeled boots, huh?

Phantom of the Opera remake looking like poo poo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

China is going through things economically completely unrelated to us, also lmao like China cares about a circle Jerk in loving Iowa

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Remember all the doomering about the red wave that turned into a massive own for republicans. Dems lost the house but there was a pathetic output from republicans and there isn’t really anything to indicate that it has changed. Trump has barely majority support from the craziest Iowans in a deep red state, he is going to get mangled in a general election.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
What % was Dornald predicted to get in Iowa, anyway? I'm sure he'd say 100%, but what did the "experts" say?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

isaboo posted:

What % was Dornald predicted to get in Iowa, anyway? I'm sure he'd say 100%, but what did the "experts" say?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Jimlit posted:

I mean, Trump getting reelected will definitely break the status quo, just at the detriment of anyone who’s not a middle-aged straight white dude

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Ron, Nikki, it's time...

The amount of content this goon produces is staggering. Thank you goon!

Why did you "already have" the other jpeg

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

China is going through things economically completely unrelated to us, also lmao like China cares about a circle Jerk in loving Iowa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDrfE9I8_hs

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Lord Packinham posted:

Remember all the doomering about the red wave that turned into a massive own for republicans. Dems lost the house but there was a pathetic output from republicans and there isn’t really anything to indicate that it has changed. Trump has barely majority support from the craziest Iowans in a deep red state, he is going to get mangled in a general election.

It's like those waves that look really impressive when they roll in, but there's another one going out, so it just kinda tumbles down to a little tiny crash on the riptide

oh dear he's under 50 lol

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

TulliusCicero posted:

Wrong, it's because daddy is coming home. I can't believe you fell for the deep state lie that there are places in the world that don't revolve around the Iowa caucus, bet you feel silly now

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Court stuff:

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1747310235696386495

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1744767504474341813

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
My voting hot take is I'm always gonna vote D for president but at the state and local level is where we start to build progressive momentum. It's all well and good to want some great fantasy progressive candidate to come that you can vote for but the bottom line is even if one showed up they ain't getting elected now. But at the local side we can start shoring up support for progressives, get good people elected and then we start building momentum.

But seriously gently caress any one that doesn't vote Biden right now, I have little girls who would be affected by Trump coming in and making handmaiden's tale real. I have close friends who are struggling with anti lgbtq legislature being put up everywhere. With Biden as pres at least we staunch the bleeding

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

A Fancy Hat posted:

A lot of Republicans won't vote for a woman, even if she's a Republican.

Palin was the exception. She seemed to be THE female candidate that a lot of conservatives loved the hell out of to the point of saying they'd have her vote as a presidential candidate.

I say this with recollections that hardcore conservatives HATED McCain for years, too. The McCain/Palin ticket I think probably worked for them because he appealed to some more undecided and moderate voters (both Democrat and Republican) and she appealed a lot to the more modern (at the time) hardcore conservatives.

There's a real part of me that thinks they were hoping McCain would die early if he'd won so Palin could take over. Not sure if there were bigger implications beyond that, though.

Would that mean they'd shove Pelosi out of congress into the VP seat? I can't imagine they'd be happy about THAT, but it would remove her from congress for what I'd assume to be the rest of her political career once her VP term was up.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

Palin was the exception. She seemed to be THE female candidate that a lot of conservatives loved the hell out of to the point of saying they'd have her vote as a presidential candidate.

I say this with recollections that hardcore conservatives HATED McCain for years, too. The McCain/Palin ticket I think probably worked for them because he appealed to some more undecided and moderate voters (both Democrat and Republican) and she appealed a lot to the more modern (at the time) hardcore conservatives.

There's a real part of me that thinks they were hoping McCain would die early if he'd won so Palin could take over. Not sure if there were bigger implications beyond that, though.

Would that mean they'd shove Pelosi out of congress into the VP seat? I can't imagine they'd be happy about THAT, but it would remove her from congress for what I'd assume to be the rest of her political career once her VP term was up.

The McCain / Palin campaign was so bad that the democrats managed to get a black man elected. It was a legendary clusterfuck from start to end.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

They may have said they'd vote for her for president but lol they'd step over their own mother to primary her.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

kazil posted:

I think everyone's responses to my big rambling post make sense and reassure me a bit but for this one if the roles were reversed I think my reaction would be, "wait, why are we running the same candidate who lost to Trump against him again four years later? Why did anyone vote for him instead of a person who hasn't lost to Trump?" And then if he won I'd vote for him in the general anyway because the alternative would be Trump.

It's like if the Democrats voted 51% for Hillary again in 2020. Or repeatedly nominated Crist in FL for Gov.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Another Bill posted:

This guy is a Mormon who wrote a book about Mitt Romney and now ... this

lol

e:

lol lol

What did you expect from Charlie Kirk's biological father?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The state of Washington has been doing this forever, same for Oregon. There's no reason not to have it, attempting to kill it piecemeal is just the GOP floundering lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Mandalardian