Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

The mando and grogu movie is currently being made so look forward to that.

Is it, though? Until I see a trailer for one of these announced movies, I'm not going to believe it.

Granted, this one has a much better chance, since it's probably just going to be a few episodes of season 4 smashed together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

euphronius posted:

The mando and grogu movie is currently being made so look forward to that.

I don't look forward to mid poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll pitch the Rey movie

One day Rey is teaching some new Jedi and then a mean man comes to town trying to hate on her and then she says hell nah and they fight

Stretch it out for an hour and ten mins and you’re golden

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll pitch the Rey movie

One day Rey is teaching some new Jedi and then a mean man comes to town trying to hate on her and then she says hell nah and they fight

this is 2024. it'll get stretched out to 2 hours, a part 2, and a spinoff

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i am altering the norm pray I do not alter it any further

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The lowest common denominator pitch for the rey film is surely for it to be the dark empire 2 to star wars 9's dark empire 1. Bing bong, so simple

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Just lift the plot of Saint Seiya except Athena is Rey and the Gold Cloth(s) the gold lightsaber.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just don't really see how the franchise can move forward in time in a compelling way. They're backed into a corner from a setting point of view. The sequels bungled the First Order so bad that I just can't imagine a decent narrative that involves an Empire vs. Rebels dynamic after that, which feels pretty core to what a Star Wars needs to be. The TV shows are going out of the way to show that the New Republic is comically ineffective, so doing that again but this time in the future doesn't feel fresh. Any other version of "The good guys won and became the bad guys" would just feel like a repeat of AOTC/ROTS. The Disney stuff was scrubbed of any interesting political allegory or commentary (other than a half-hearted attempt at "actually capitalism is the real bad guy") so I can't imagine them doing anything interesting riffing on anything that feels vital in terms of real-world politics.

The only compelling setting moving forward to me feels like a balkanization of the universe, with everything being thrown back to the dark ages where different planets and civilizations feel insular and disconnected from each other, and there are no overarching power structures outside of regional governments. But that certainly doesn't feel like a narrative that would intersect with Rey and a new Jedi order. That's scoundrel territory. And it also feels too bold and status-quo changing for what Disney has shown themselves to be capable of.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Overall I agree with you, but I've said before - I would genuinely like to see a well written series about how the obviously weird pacificist sect that was the original Jedi became the Galactic Republic's enforcers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

you can make anything work if you try. I know it’s not super popular but I don’t think rogue one is all that great and cassian andor was a huge dud of a character

But yet here I am years later craving more stories with the guy. They retconned an actual character into his rear end. It’s incredible

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CelticPredator posted:

you can make anything work if you try. I know it’s not super popular but I don’t think rogue one is all that great and cassian andor was a huge dud of a character

But yet here I am years later craving more stories with the guy. They retconned an actual character into his rear end. It’s incredible

Same. I found Rogue One a mediocre film and I barely even remembered who Andor was, but than the TV show blew my mind

But still, is easier to go back and add more meat to previous stories and characters (though they are mostly failing on that too) than it is to go forward after the mess ST was

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It seems very common for people who actually think about the problem of how to move forward to end up concluding that some form of sengoku star wars is the answer.

But I think if you pitched that executives would find it too complex, star wars needs to basically have two factions where one is good and one is evil. Hell maybe they're even right. The occam's razor inevitably is to keep bringing palpatine back

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Is it, though? Until I see a trailer for one of these announced movies, I'm not going to believe it.

Granted, this one has a much better chance, since it's probably just going to be a few episodes of season 4 smashed together.

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-and-grogu

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can still have factions and keep it simple. Just perhaps make the villains bounty hunters or something. Or the first order remnants. Maybe bring back Captain Phasma if you’re feeling lazy. Use her as a springboard to add context to the first order.

Andor was still at its core rebels vs the empire but they made the empire more terrifying by showing the brutality of them as opposed to just blasting though them and showing them bumble around

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I don't look forward to mid poo poo.

I understand. I would not expect anyone here to watch star wars movies

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's a bit amusing that the game of thrones dipshits, if anyone, would have been nicely positioned to pitch sengoku star wars but instead they wanted to do the asinine "origin story for the jedi and lightsabers" concept

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

No Mods No Masters posted:

The lowest common denominator pitch for the rey film is surely for it to be the dark empire 2 to star wars 9's dark empire 1. Bing bong, so simple

SW9 is already the conclusion to Dark Empire, Empire's End. We're already pulled over, we can't pull over any further.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

SW9 is already the conclusion to Dark Empire, Empire's End. We're already pulled over, we can't pull over any further.

But Empatojayos Brand BB-8 hasn't excised Palpatine's soul from Anakin Solo Rey in order to destroy it for good

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Somehow, pulling over returned

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

YggdrasilTM posted:

"Oh, that was easy", says Man, and for an encore he goes on to prove that black is white and gets killed on the next zebra crossing.

y'know, what the gently caress was adams talking about here. how would that make any difference to your capacity to...see zebras?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

DeimosRising posted:

y'know, what the gently caress was adams talking about here. how would that make any difference to your capacity to...see zebras?

zebra crossing is where white stripes are painted across a pedestrian crossing in the middle of a road, not sure how this contributes to a pedestrian getting killed when they're already at a crossing, but then I don't get British "humor"

e: maybe he was also missing a towel, who knows

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If anything the crossing would just stand out more because in addition to the white stripes of the crossing the black of the road would also be white. Maybe if he proved white is black then the stripes wouldn't be visible, but then the man probably wouldn't try crossing unless he looked both ways first

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

zebra crossing is where white stripes are painted across a pedestrian crossing in the middle of a road, not sure how this contributes to a pedestrian getting killed when they're already at a crossing, but then I don't get British "humor"

There’s a reason Lucas had the forces of evil speak in British accents.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

feedmyleg posted:

I just don't really see how the franchise can move forward in time in a compelling way. They're backed into a corner from a setting point of view. The sequels bungled the First Order so bad that I just can't imagine a decent narrative that involves an Empire vs. Rebels dynamic after that, which feels pretty core to what a Star Wars needs to be. The TV shows are going out of the way to show that the New Republic is comically ineffective, so doing that again but this time in the future doesn't feel fresh. Any other version of "The good guys won and became the bad guys" would just feel like a repeat of AOTC/ROTS. The Disney stuff was scrubbed of any interesting political allegory or commentary (other than a half-hearted attempt at "actually capitalism is the real bad guy") so I can't imagine them doing anything interesting riffing on anything that feels vital in terms of real-world politics.

That's giving up too quickly. Although Episode 9 ends with a depressing implication that we'll soon return to a familar status quo, and we of course cannot trust Disney to do sensible things with the subject matter, the ST nonetheless ends with the First Order as the victors. The New Republic is long gone, and NecroPalptine's Neo-Empire is out of the picture. The neofeudal Resistance, at the end of the last movie, remains a miniscule fringe group whose leader is also now dead.

Leia specifically gave her life for Ben Solo, who Luke had earlier targeted for assassination on her behalf - which implies a certain abandonment of the neofeudal ideology. And then, Ben Solo's own death is sort-of the reverse - where he sacrifices himself so that Rey might be 'born again' without her dark ambition to become Empress Of The Galaxy. (Maybe.)

So we have a very new setting, largely/entirely unexplored in the Sequel trilogy, which is neither the Republic nor the Empire. The First Order is also not a return to some older pre-Republic model, but a modern collection of planetary nation-states. A basic story there could be Rey running up against this more-progressive world, attempting to (re-)start the Jedi Order while still caught up in all her past influences. She's an outsider from the First Order, having lived all her life on a New Republic sand planet and emerging only in the middle of a weird transitional period where she immediately threw herself in with these fringe weirdoes. There's potential good conflict there.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

yeah i wasn't familiar with this vile anglo slang but it still doesn't make any sense at all

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm not sure what you're saying with this link. They've announced a bunch of movies since TROS, and so far none of them have gone anywhere. What you posted is just another announcement. Like I said, this one has a better chance of actually happening, since it's probably going to be a few episodes of the show smashed together into a movie, and will likely use some of the TV show budget. Like that Clone Wars movie. But until I see a trailer, I don't really believe any of them will happen. They keep saying, "Here's a cool idea for a movie!" And then years go by, and nothing happens.

Remember when they announced that Rogue Squadron movie? Or the Kevin Feige movie? Or the Taika movie? Or the movie from the Game of Thrones guys? Anything still happening with that Dawn of the Jedi movie?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll pitch the Rey movie

Grogu tie-in : the guy who comes to town looks like a large Yoda/grogu and reys students think he might be a good guy for a second but wait! He's actually this guy:

In this analogy Rey is a vampire - inhumanly attractive, deadly, and sucking the life out of those around her. So she doesn't need any new characterization

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

the man proves black is white. he then tries to use the zebra crossing, which is marked by white paint on a black road. because black is now white, the paint no longer marks the crossing, and drivers do not have advance warning to slow down or stop for pedestrians. as a result, the man is struck and killed by a car operated by an inattentive motorist. it is ironic, because his clever sophistry has not only killed god, but led to his own death.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

next star wars needs to take a page from the Tolkien and have a retired Rey discover Palpatines hosed up ghost cant die but its pretty loving weak and she has to fight it in its current form as a lovely tatooine Mayor like Sharky.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
breaking in to a retirement home to push sheev's old senate buddies down the stairs

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Upsidads posted:

next star wars needs to take a page from the Tolkien and have a retired Rey discover Palpatines hosed up ghost cant die but its pretty loving weak and she has to fight it in its current form as a lovely tatooine Mayor like Sharky.

The last town level dispute on tat’ooine was so fun and well handled! Can’t wait for more.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not sure what you're saying with this link. They've announced a bunch of movies since TROS, and so far none of them have gone anywhere. What you posted is just another announcement. Like I said, this one has a better chance of actually happening, since it's probably going to be a few episodes of the show smashed together into a movie, and will likely use some of the TV show budget. Like that Clone Wars movie. But until I see a trailer, I don't really believe any of them will happen. They keep saying, "Here's a cool idea for a movie!" And then years go by, and nothing happens.

Remember when they announced that Rogue Squadron movie? Or the Kevin Feige movie? Or the Taika movie? Or the movie from the Game of Thrones guys? Anything still happening with that Dawn of the Jedi movie?

Yeah what happened to Feige ?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll pitch the Rey movie

Don't forget, some new jedi also has a mysterious past. A past that might lead them to evil, or might lead them to greatness, or could do literally anything because it won't be explained.

What I'm wondering about the sequel sequel movies is if they will include references to the sequel trilogy in the endless string of callbacks. Will anyone be nostalgic about them, yet?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i am sort of. At least the lead up to TFA. It was cool. And it felt positive and it got me back into Star Wars again after years of ignoring it

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I remember how I felt hearing the music and seeing the shots of X-Wings kicking up water in the trailer. I remember less of the movie.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I remember thinking how great Max Von Sydow was going to be in this movie. Alas.

As for future sequels: Is there an additional empire that controls territories besides the ones we're familiar with? Does space go further than tatooine?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There is, it's called the first order. Everyone got distracted with the expedition to punish palpatine for talking poo poo in fortnite and sort of forgot to actually dislodge them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's what makes Star Trek into a fantasy series, ironically.

Star Wars generally has well-defined political systems, economies, religions, etc., and anything that's not terribly important to the story is passed over in silence. Starships are made in factories, and people buy them. They're generally pretty expensive, and their inner workings are too complicated for most people.

With Star Trek, everything is very poorly defined except basic character interactions and "reouting the inertial dampeners through the deflector dish phase arrays to the holodeck buffers" or whatever magical phrases. It's a fantasy series about techno-wizards and their God-computer.

This led to one of the subtler failings of The Last Jedi, where they suddenly dropped in a whole lot of baffling nonsense about starship mechanics: fuel levels, cloaking devices, how radar systems work, hyperspace ramming, etc.

Yeah, this pretty much covers it. Hell, Star Trek species map pretty well to D&D fantasy races, you got your Space Orcs, Space Goblins, Space Elves, Space Lizardmen, Space Shapeshifters, the Borg are basically undead, and there's even trickster gods, angels and demons. The proper 'rules' of the setting are, indeed, set more around character and social interactions and dynamics, and that's what people find interesting. The spaceships and lasers are also cool, of course, but follow deliberately and carefully loose rules so as to act as plot enablers.

A lot of what people complain about with the JJ's Star Wars AND Star Trek might even be that they become too much like each other, missing the thematic cores of each- just treating them as basically interchangeable because they both have spaceships. Which does a disservice to both. Heck, you could even imagine a crossover actually being fun only if both franchises are treated with love and respect- maybe a Jedi would have a fun discourse with a Starfleet captain, and both learn a thing or two from each other.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
We really don't need another trilogy of space wars between evil empires and resistance fighters.

I'd much rather this 'Rey' movie be exactly that. A movie that explores her character a little deeper / her new life as a ronin Jedi, travelling the galaxy and getting involved in various conflicts completely unrelated to something we've seen twenty times before.

Star Wars is a very expansive universe with a ton of unique story potential.

Early Mandalorian episodes were great for this, until they decided to tie all the various properties together into the boring referential mess it is now.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

One thing about star trek is it was comfortable with the characters talking at length. That's generally not a mode star wars has had success with outside of andor.

I mean if a jedi and a starfleet captain talked, I feel like it's hard to fathom what the jedi would even have to say. I feel like the universe would promptly interrupt them by initiating a space adventure