Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
Kingsvein! I'm very excited for it, though I think I'll beat False Skies first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The Colonel posted:

i think the funniest artifact of the english translation is how they translated healing items. so the item shops originally are drug stores and the healing items are a parody of calorie mate and an energy drink called arginine v. they changed calorie mate to "pelorie mate" and arginine v to "ruoginine", to give them more of a place within the world and not literally just be real life objects.

i guess in the process of translating the game they decided the english version should have equivalent everyday food items, but... even once you get past them somehow turning the shops into "first food shops", which must have come from misreading the kana for fast food even though i have no idea how that could be the case since they weren't fast food stores in the original, it's just a wild difference having these items that were specifically themed as phantasy star universe parodies with their own names, changed to just burgers and cola. could... they not have invented some goofy alien burger or something? there's no copyright on burgers or cola so i guess that's why they didn't bother but the difference is very funny, especially since while the items in the jp version are parodies of real items, the art they drew up for them is distinctly phantasy star-esque and more visually believable as things you might typically use to heal yourself in this sort of setting than myau stopping mid-fight with a shadowy force of pure demonic evil to shove down a full rear end hamburger into their space cat mouth.

So the Switch port uses the original SMS script for English? That's kinda wack, in this day and age.

There was also a PS2 remake and it has a fan patch. Looks pretty different.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wasnt playing in english i was using the fan guide when i got lost which uses the original english for reference. pretty sure the sega ages release does use the og tl though yeah

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I’m seriously digging Kingsvein from what I played in first hour. Cool world to explore AND they let you jump right into things

EDIT: expanding a little, I really appreciate that they offered me a series of limited but interesting and meaningful choices at game start, and the options for race/class for you and your retainers show you some interesting stuff about the world without lecturing you.

There is a lot of cool stuff here for tactics sickos, Rad Codex is definitely still hitting. I am very interested in what my strategies for effectively using the delayed hit skill and Galeforce without the extra move are going to end up looking like.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 16, 2024

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
https://twitter.com/HilltopWorks/status/1747364265571545309

I've never heard of it before but it looks cool and funny.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
will be incredibly funny if we get every single weird more obscure shoji masuda game translated into english before we get linda cube or any of the other games he's actually known for

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The people working on Linda Cubed were apparently aiming for Christmas and just missed it so: soon, maybe

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ofecks posted:

So the Switch port uses the original SMS script for English? That's kinda wack, in this day and age.

There was also a PS2 remake and it has a fan patch. Looks pretty different.

there's also a retranslation for the SMS version which i had a great time with a couple years ago. i'd highly recommend it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sundance Shot posted:

god I love the level of animation in this, it really looks like they shot the scenes like an actual anime

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

No Dignity posted:

god I love the level of animation in this, it really looks like they shot the scenes like an actual anime

Yeah! it looks so charming that I'm eager to try it when the patch hits

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sharon's new outfit in CSIV is so bad lol.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sharon's new outfit in CSIV is so bad lol.

Sharon in anything but her maid outfit just looks wrong.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sundance Shot posted:

Did they edit it together or does it actually play the OP at that point?

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did they edit it together or does it actually play the OP at that point?

The second part with the song is the opening or at least a modified version of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3qEOjlKsnw

This video translates the lyrics, if you're interested.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they're asking if the op plays directly after that sequence

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i didn't expect how golden sun-rear end the battle theme in tales of rebirth is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt2EVvONXbs

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

What kind of game is Granblue Relink? For some reason I just assumed it was a traditionalish jRPG with action combat, but watching a random YouTube video just now made it seem more like a Monster Hunter or Phantasy Star. Like it looked fun and I’m excited to try it out, just wasn’t what I was expecting.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

like to be clear on, what this is since i think wires are getting crossed

1) it is an action rpg
2) it has a 20-30 hour long main game with a bunch of setpieces and stuff
3) once you clear the game you can get into a loop of clearing endgame bosses to get better gear to unlock harder versions of endgame bosses to get better gear, etc
4) it is not a live service game, its more just a post-game grind

the monhun comparison is in, the structure of that post-game grind, not the game as a whole

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Ok cool. Thanks.

The sword lady what summons a…ghost? Spirit? Idk. Anyways she looks cool and fun to play

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
getting like a billion aerial loops during 100% link with zeta loving rules

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

avoraciopoctules posted:

I’m seriously digging Kingsvein from what I played in first hour. Cool world to explore AND they let you jump right into things

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Anno posted:

What kind of game is Granblue Relink? For some reason I just assumed it was a traditionalish jRPG with action combat, but watching a random YouTube video just now made it seem more like a Monster Hunter or Phantasy Star. Like it looked fun and I’m excited to try it out, just wasn’t what I was expecting.

It's both

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Colonel posted:

i didn't expect how golden sun-rear end the battle theme in tales of rebirth is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt2EVvONXbs

Dogfight rules too (Battle 2)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Coldsteel IV: I can't believe they turned Celine into a catgirl.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Coldsteel IV: I can't believe they turned Celine into a catgirl.

10 seconds before that scene I was thinking when are they going to turn her into a catgirl.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Anno posted:

... monster hunter is a full rear end action game and phantasy star is a fully turn-based battle system???

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
well tbf PS hasnt been that in over 20 years

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

well tbf PS hasnt been that in over 20 years
There hasn't been a new phantasy star game since 1993.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i assume they just meant PSO

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also. phantasy star portable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'there hasnt been a new phantasy star game since 1993' is an incredible statement on a number of levels

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the OG PSO2's story is unashamedly goofy in a way i respect, it's a shame how much of a grind it originally was to witness

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've noticed that Coldsteel IV has a lot more low hanging fruit otaku sex jokes than the previous 3 games. It's kind of weird. I don't get up in arms about jokes like that but it's strange for them to become frequent when the series usually only had a few per entry before now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You people are the same kind of jerk that'd go "hey check out this Might and Magic game" and then post something about a Heroes Of Might and Magic game. :colbert:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zereth posted:

You people are the same kind of jerk that'd go "hey check out this Might and Magic game" and then post something about a Heroes Of Might and Magic game. :colbert:

Sorry that your series hasn't had a new game in so long that its name became synonymous with its spinoffs, grandpa.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Zereth posted:

what do you mean you people???

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zereth posted:

Hey, Might and Magic X came out in 2014! That's basically brand new!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Kanos posted:

I think it might actually be the most recent M&M game period if we're not counting re-releases.

e: no, wait, HoMM VII (2015) happened and I entirely forgot it, that's the winner

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

claw game handjob posted:

I think it might actually be the most recent M&M game period if we're not counting re-releases.

e: no, wait, HoMM VII (2015) happened and I entirely forgot it, that's the winner

There was a HoMM VI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kanos posted:

And then killed the series because it was a really bad game. :/