Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

post COVID posted:

The US privatized a lot of research and now we can't make it to the moon. Extra funny because it's carrying the cremated remains of 70 dead rich people (and 1 rich person's dead dog) who thought it would be fun to use the moon as their graveyard, and it comes on the heels of India's success with Chandrayaan-3. Appropriate for the thread because

also it's carrying NASA equipment, your tax dollars at work

We’re doing our part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
a four person golf cart is like $10k

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I can't tell what's happening in Chicago because electric cars in general and Teslas specifically work fine in Canada and Scandinavia. And by that I mean that the range suffers but the superchargers and public chargers still work

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

golf carts are the way to ween Americans off of personally owned vehicles. lets us downsize the infrastructure and literal footprint of personal transport, while providing a slow off-ramp to car culture.

reduced road maintenance alone would probably pay for free golf carts for everyone.

you can go to costco in a golf cart or even take the kids to soccer practice. you can still pimp your golf cart, ghostride your golf cart, make your golf cart a symbol of wealth or individuality.

In SoCal, sure.

You can’t drive a snow covered road in -20 weather in a golf cart.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Also small town hicks and farmers loving love golf carts and Gators and drive them everywhere in the summer for short trips so you don’t even need to convince people they just don’t work for most use cases outside of urban environments and in mild weather.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Thoguh posted:

In SoCal, sure.

Sure you can, you just need to think bigger. I’m sure Jeremy Renner can provide lessons.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
stocks are overbought, a literal multifront world war and global shipping being diverted and we are still near ATH

what

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
forget it err. it's numbertown

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

War is good for Number

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Reminds me of that scene in Bojack where he couldn't find a charging station for his car once he left SoCal.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Ardennes posted:

Investing in the Chinese stock market is usually high risk just because the Chinese government doesn't place a priority on it, especially regards regulations. Honestly, that is the way to do it, but yeah Tecent/Netease stock dropped like 20% because they put restrict regulations on gatcha games (absolutely justified). Car makers (and EVs) perhaps are more sustainable just because they are targeting a large international market but I wouldn't say there are zero risks.

The best way of enjoying China's rise...is probably moving there or maybe one of their closer allies (yeah not necessarily practical but it is just the way it is) or perhaps just buying some Chinese governments but they their yields are significant beyond US bonds (strange isn't it).

i just looked up the yields on chinese debt and lmao

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Down in the old people communities in Arizona it's normal to ride golf carts around the suburbs.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Mr Hootington posted:

Macron gave some sort of interview or speech today where he said he wanted to further "liberalize" the economy and do fascism.

but you repeat yourself…

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thoguh posted:

In SoCal, sure.

:wrong:

Thoguh posted:

Also small town hicks and farmers loving love golf carts and Gators and drive them everywhere in the summer for short trips so you don’t even need to convince people they just don’t work for most use cases outside of urban environments and in mild weather.

Sounds like they work just fine outside of urban areas!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

forget it err. it's numbertown

Jan 17, 2024
3 days away from the 3rd largest debtor nation being unable to pay its bills and

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Nothus posted:

I can't tell what's happening in Chicago because electric cars in general and Teslas specifically work fine in Canada and Scandinavia. And by that I mean that the range suffers but the superchargers and public chargers still work

Same. We picked up an ID4 two months ago, and I had it parked at the airport in Detroit all of last week. It lost virtually no charge, and generally didn’t care much about being parked outside in 0F / -20-30 windchill here in NW Ohio.

On the flip side, it’s great because you can get into a cozy car in the morning, without running an ICE for an extended period of time.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I was watching some episode of House Hunters International in Amsterdam or one of those european cities with a shitload of bike infrastructure and they had the agent driving around the hunters in some sort of golf cart like ride that apparently can use bike lanes. That's how you get more bike lanes in America.

As much as they annoy me the electric scooters help with this too I think

011624_2
Jan 17, 2024
a temporary special exception extension of the federal government's debt limit 7 times in the last 10 years

011624_2
Jan 17, 2024
i hope my electricity stays on when the subsidies run out in 3 days :ohdear:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

011624_2 posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Forums accounts $10,000
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

there’s better causes to pay into but also i like being able to post here so you won’t catch me complaining if numbers rereg goon wants to pay for the forums

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

011624_2 posted:

I know one way you could save some money

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol chart the number of daily reregs as a leading indicator

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This was a good article on the Tesla freeze thing: https://www.theautopian.com/heres-w...gos-deep-freeze

The tl;dr is that aside from batteries being bad in cold it's likely the charger plugs were getting frozen so they couldn't give out the juice plus long wait times meant the pre-conditioning on the batteries that help them charge quickly wasn't working right.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Isn’t numbers rereg guy using credit card fraud like charge backs or some poo poo, or are they actually paying for each account? Also somebody recently said it was Alec Eiffle but that doesn’t feel right to me

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Ardennes posted:

The question is if you really should keep ICEs around except for the most extreme situations. The issue with EVs and their carbon footprint is largely the result of their huge batteries, and that most countries still use a bunch of fossil fuels, but those are fixable problems. You really don't need a huge battery in most cases (and swappable batteries are already a thing) and constantly having someone use a compact EV with a sodium-ion battery is honestly an improvement.

The issue is expectations with cars and car culture in general. People in North America feel like they need 1. a car, and if they have a car, it needs to be 1. big, 2. high performance, and 3. ready for cross-country trips at any second. It just isn't workable.

Tire rubber is the primary source of micro and nanoplastics poisoning the world's water

EVs bad. Cars bad.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

I always get a kick out of watching idiots in teslas driving up to the ski resort/mountain passes during winter. Gonna have a bad time and it’s not a place I want to get stuck.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Spirit airlines just lost half its value after their merger with JetBlue got stopped in court.

gotta say, im kinda surprised. it's very funny that a ton of wsbies/speculative investors gamblers lost a ton of money and mad at the doj.

anyways airlines are dogshit business, all the money is in the microtransaction paypig mileage point system, not the actual flying operations. spirit is losing money hands over fists and dont even have a gamified paypig mileage system that people spend $$$ buying into. spirit is almost certainly toast in a year or two. jblu isn't great either tbf but at least doing better than spirit.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Jan 17, 2024

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Paradoxish posted:

Batteries don't do well with temperature extremes in general. Regular car batteries weaken in cold weather too, which is why people with old/damaged batteries suddenly need to replace them when the temperature drops. The cold weather isn't actually damaging the battery, but the reduced output means that a weak one isn't going to be able to start your car anymore.

So yeah, driving an EV is going to kind of suck in legitimately very cold temperatures and it's even worse if you live somewhere with temperature extremes because the hot weather will permanently damage the battery and then the cold weather will just make things worse. Good thing we're not planning on using EVs to maintain personal car ownership as weather extremes become more common, that would be really silly!

meanwhile, in Saskatchewan...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL9zveDz8H0

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
When I lived in the southwest many decades ago, I remember a car battery exploding in the parking lot of one of my lovely jobs.

That was like an m80 went off. I wonder what a tesla detonating would do.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

When I lived in the southwest many decades ago, I remember a car battery exploding in the parking lot of one of my lovely jobs.

different chemistry, it would just catch fire and refuse to go out for days

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Xaris posted:

gotta say, im kinda surprised. it's very funny that a ton of wsbies/speculative investors gamblers lost a ton of money and mad at the doj.

anyways airlines are dogshit business, all the money is in the microtransaction paypig mileage point system, not the actual flying operations. spirit is losing money hands over fists and dont even have a gamified paypig mileage system that people spend $$$ buying into. spirit is almost certainly toast in a year or two. jblu isn't great either tbf but at least doing better than spirit.

sounds like the airline industry needs some planning by a centralized authority.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

err posted:

stocks are overbought, a literal multifront world war and global shipping being diverted and we are still near ATH

what
war! what is it good for? hunh? oh.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

comedyblissoption posted:

war! what is it good for? hunh? oh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzvfY0d7kGg

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
JetBlue used to be one of the better airlines if you happened to live within it's network. Oh well

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

One went off near where I live a while back. Burned for like two days since the fire department couldn’t put it out.

Don’t know if there is a way to put it out but the local department did not have the means.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nothus posted:

JetBlue used to be one of the better airlines if you happened to live within it's network. Oh well

yeah i always like(d) jetblue well enough. Virgin-Alaskan was my favorite for awhile as well, but not sure how it is today. seems more gamified and microtransaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Tempora Mutantur posted:

NYTimes: Intelligence reports indicate that Xi Jinping is responsible for the turds found in President Biden's pants and on the oval office floor. Biden was confirmed by aides as being, 'as continent as ever.'