Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

fosborb posted:

oh whoops, didn't realize this was posted in another thread

for context

can confirm, this happened to me. gigavaxed white dude and my wife gave birth to a baby with asian features.

wife is part japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

fosborb posted:

for context

Fl's Surgeon General, folks!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
China was trying to undo the one-child policy and accidentally underflowed the integer, now all babies are Chinese.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Rochallor posted:

China was trying to undo the one-child policy and accidentally underflowed the integer, now all babies are Chinese.

do they come with the latest version of xi jinping thought installed?

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Today is day 10 for me. I have a lot of mucus, a spicy nose, some sneezes, and occasional coughs. Like the worst allergies I've ever had. I still tested positive this morning and this evening. I'm also pretty tired like I hiked up a mountain this morning.

Today my wife tested positive for the first time. Day 0. She started paxlovid this evening. We tried to isolate but it wasn't enough. I had 48 hours of negative tests so we ended isolation and we had our normal routine from Sunday morning to Monday evening. I developed symptoms at work and tested positive that evening and we went back to isolating. A cytokine storm.

Now it is the two of us isolating to protect my daughter. Very frustrating.

I was listening to TWIV 1078 and they talked about a paper showing that pushing through covid exhaustion can cause muscle necrosis so that's cool. I have a hard time just resting so these little tidbits help me deal with my resting guilt.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I recently posted some quotes from /r/flying concerning the ongoing impact of COVID‑19 on flight training.

Here’s an upvoted comment from today:

quote:

Leaded fuel is the wedge that property developers are using to weaponize tree huggers and "think of the children" Karens to attack and shut down local airports.

So it’s remarkable that even pilots are not entirely convinced that the pandemic is over.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Platystemon posted:

I recently posted some quotes from /r/flying concerning the ongoing impact of COVID‑19 on flight training.

Here’s an upvoted comment from today:

So it’s remarkable that even pilots are not entirely convinced that the pandemic is over.

to be fair, leaded avgas should have been long dead

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

bred posted:

Today is day 10 for me. I have a lot of mucus, a spicy nose, some sneezes, and occasional coughs. Like the worst allergies I've ever had. I still tested positive this morning and this evening. I'm also pretty tired like I hiked up a mountain this morning.

Today my wife tested positive for the first time. Day 0. She started paxlovid this evening. We tried to isolate but it wasn't enough. I had 48 hours of negative tests so we ended isolation and we had our normal routine from Sunday morning to Monday evening. I developed symptoms at work and tested positive that evening and we went back to isolating. A cytokine storm.

Now it is the two of us isolating to protect my daughter. Very frustrating.

I was listening to TWIV 1078 and they talked about a paper showing that pushing through covid exhaustion can cause muscle necrosis so that's cool. I have a hard time just resting so these little tidbits help me deal with my resting guilt.

Yeah, covid can cause lots of damage to lots of sensitive tissue; even in the best-case scenario, recovery from something like that takes time, and you don't want to risk permanent damage by pushing too hard. Sorry to hear about your predicament, but it sounds like you're doing everything the best you can. Hopefully it turns out well. I'd describe myself as way more paranoid than most on this issue (with good cause, given the permanent damage illnesses already imparted me well before covid), but even fairly reputable doom-adjacent sources are usually pretty confident in the two-negative-days rule of thumb, so that's unfortunate luck.

Also, sorry on your resting guilt. I dunno if it's helpful or healthy, but in such situations I try to frame time off as being my current task; gotta take the time to sharpen the axe if you wanna keep felling trees, and all that. Meditative activities like nature-watching are also nice for that, when available.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's incredible how effective calling everyone a big crybaby pussy was at making us accept the largest mass death event in American history

Modern Internet comments:

quote:

I once heard that Ice Hockey got more brutal after they increased safety, because Players felt safer playing risky.

quote:

I’ve heard the same arguments with seat belts and made the same argument about wearing a bike helmet when I was a kid. I’m not saying there’s no merit to it but I’d need to see some hard figures before taking these claims too seriously

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Additionally, if I have to fly across the country in the next day or so, what kind of PPE should I wear on the plane?

This is my concern on top of all of the conflict unfolding as this plays out and I look at the available flights.

As others have said, a well fitting N95 like an Aura should be good for a flight. I would also personally recommend some kind of eye protection because of the particular close quarters with people on airplanes, so like a pair of safety glasses would be ideal but even just normal glasses would help there since the risk for ocular transmission is people shooting droplets into your eyeballs.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

for context
Ladapo has an MD and a PhD from Harvard :hmbol:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bobtheconqueror posted:

As others have said, a well fitting N95 like an Aura should be good for a flight. I would also personally recommend some kind of eye protection because of the particular close quarters with people on airplanes, so like a pair of safety glasses would be ideal but even just normal glasses would help there since the risk for ocular transmission is people shooting droplets into your eyeballs.

I'll wear my HSLD clear Oakleys then.

This all feels so stupid. Am I mistaken that we were pretty close to maybe having a handle on this sometime in 2020?

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Frosted Flake posted:

This all feels so stupid. Am I mistaken that we were pretty close to maybe having a handle on this sometime in 2020?

lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Frosted Flake posted:

A handle on what?

Eradication?

Personal protective equipment?

Wily sisters in law?

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention

fosborb posted:

for context

What's the deal with rightwing weirdos always using profile pics taken in their cars? I'm not doing a bit, I am genuinely curious.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Frosted Flake posted:

In 2020, everyone in the know was hoping that long covid was rare and that the vaccines in development would provide long-lasting, robust immunity. "Having a handle on this" required both of those things to be true.

It turns out neither of them are true.

Western governments also spent a lot of effort trying to convince people the virus wasn't airborne and that N95s weren't any more effective than surgical masks, undermining the useful tool we have to stop infections.

Now it's in animal reservoirs which means it'll never be eradicated. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BusError posted:

What's the deal with rightwing weirdos always using profile pics taken in their cars? I'm not doing a bit, I am genuinely curious.

My guess is it is the only place they feel safe and in control in their entire lives?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DickParasite posted:

(..)
Now it's in animal reservoirs which means it'll never be eradicated. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I've got good news and bad news.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Short American Heart Association piece that is one of those "might be useful as an authority" pieces, though it contains nothing new.

https://www.heart.org/en/news/2024/01/16/how-covid-19-affects-your-heart-brain-and-other-organs posted:

Beyond breathing: How COVID-19 affects your heart, brain and other organs

It's easy to be complacent about COVID-19. Most people experience only mild issues – fever and coughing, maybe congestion and shortness of breath.

But the coronavirus is capable of causing much more than a simple respiratory illness, affecting organs throughout the body, experts say.

"We see people have symptoms from almost head to toe in terms of how they feel, how they function and what they can do," said Dr. Adrian Hernandez, a cardiologist who is director of the Duke Clinical Research Institute in Durham, North Carolina.
(..)
"I would argue that COVID-19 is not a disease of the lungs at all," she said. "It seems most likely that it is what we call a vascular and neurologic infection, affecting both nerve endings and our cardiovascular system."
(..)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This joke has a weak original punchline and a powerful new punchline.

quote:

A mid 30's guy is grocery shopping, and a 20 something blonde catches his eye.

She looks very familiar, but he can't remember where he met her. When they moved closer, she said to him, "Hi - I think you're the father of one of my children."

The guy freaks out. He says, "I've only cheated on my wife 3 times - in Vegas 5 years ago, in Orlando 4 years ago, and in Seattle 3 years ago. You look familiar, but I just can't remember. Who are you?"

She says, "I'm your son's Sunday school teacher."

Bob posted:

Ok, I have a fever right now, so my brain isn’t quite working. Can someone be a gem and ELI5 this joke to me?

Eta: the way this suddenly made sense when I woke up after my fever broke…fevers are wild. Flu sucks

John posted:

Man my fever broke late last night I get it, walking to the bathroom was difficult.

Bob posted:

Glad you’re on the road to being better! I made a turn for the worse, went to urgent care, positive for covid. I’m so effing sick dude

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Very carefully considering when to close schools, premised on an absolutely insane estimate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/01/13/covid-lockdowns-schools-costs-value-life/ posted:

Opinion | How to decide whether to close schools in the next pandemic
(..)
Cost-benefit analysis in this area could open new paths to negotiate between priorities in tension, by making clear what is at stake. Stanford University’s Eric Hanushek, for instance, estimated that states’ gross domestic product will be 0.6 to 2.9 percent lower “each year for the remainder of the twenty-first century” because of the educational decline since the start of the pandemic.
(..)

Archived link: https://archive.vn/LHim8

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I'd say anytime before Omicron hit you wouldn't have to do that much. Push widespread good mask adoption, actually update the vaccines in the technically possible intervals slow down travel. Could have worked out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

If we finally calculate COST3, the percentage loss of GDP due to the educational distortion caused by World War II, we find significantly higher costs if we capture the effect of the war with the simple cohort measure as compared to capturing it with the father-in-war dummy. For the former, a loss of 0.88%–1.06% of GDP in 1984–86 can be attributed to the lower educational attainment of the war cohort. For the latter war indicator, the loss only adds up to approximately 0.2% of GDP.

lmao

That’s for loving Germany.

https://doi.org/10.1086/380403

(Sci-Hub has it.)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:canada: There is little doubt - in general - that healthcare systems are under strain and not exclusively due to COVID, which has been the rhetorical final straw making a slow decline into an obvious crisis. At the same time, it should be understood that COVID causes a rapid decline in hospital capacity, which has largely been overlooked and paved over by simply postponing needed operations. When looking at the graph of hospitalizations below, consider that hospitals are at capacity, while COVID hospitalizations are nominally not at that high of a level comparatively. I suspect that this is similarly true for hospitalizations in other countries. Capacity cap makes hospitalizations lower, as a basic part of triage when all the other bullshit diseases generate even more critical patients (here just an excerpt down to the graph, but the article is a good read if you are interested in the Canadian healthcare system):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/second-opinion-overcapacity-er-crisis-1.7080946 posted:

Over-capacity ERs are dangerous choke points. But hospital challenges go far deeper
Staff shortages, respiratory illnesses pose challenges, alongside long-standing hospital bed capacity crunch

A newborn with a fever waited five hours to be seen by an emergency physician near Toronto.

Patients were surrounded by garbage and urine as they waited 18 to 20 hours for care at a hospital in Fredericton.

And in Alberta, Red Deer's long-beleaguered hospital was forced to hang tarps to create makeshift treatment spaces.

Those headlines come from different hospitals and different provinces. But they all point to the same grim problem: Emergency rooms are overflowing while an array of respiratory illnesses — COVID-19 included — keep circulating. And it's happening against a backdrop of behind-the-scenes backlogs that turn front-line ERs into dangerous choke points.

The numbers are staggering. More than 10,000 people are in hospital at once across B.C., the most the province has ever seen, while Quebec grapples with the highest level of patients in its emergency rooms in five years.

In Ottawa, the Queensway Carleton Hospital recently said it was operating at 115 per cent occupancy. By midweek, most Montreal emergency rooms were above full capacity, with some operating at roughly 200 per cent.

The usual slate of viral threats, from influenza to respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, make this time of year particularly challenging for hospitals thanks to the ongoing influx of sick patients. Canada's health-care systems are also adapting to a new normal where COVID-19 is now firmly in the mix.

And while federal data suggests COVID-related hospitalizations, ICU admissions and deaths at this point in the pandemic are lower than before, the virus is still infecting thousands of patients in Canadian hospital beds at any given time — putting sustained and added pressure on a system that's already under strain.

(..)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's an active measles alert for NSW Australia because two infants have been confirmed infected: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-17/nsw-second-measles-case-sydney/103359820

Yeah sure whatever, just add it it to pile I guess

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

The closest we got in the states was early 2021. Masking was more common and vaccines were new and widely available, but instead of pushing for elimination we instead chose to demask and hosed ourselves by giving up on NPIs.

This isn't to say we would've necessarily been out of the water if we just kept masking cause the rest of the world did not have vaccine access or decent policy but that's probably about as close as we've come.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's an active measles alert for NSW Australia because two infants have been confirmed infected: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-17/nsw-second-measles-case-sydney/103359820

Maybe if we let measles run wild, it would become milder. So out of an abundance of caution we should not try to block it.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Only two? We don't even get an alert over here until there's a dozen cases.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pingui posted:

Very carefully considering when to close schools, premised on an absolutely insane estimate.

quote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/01/13/covid-lockdowns-schools-costs-value-life/ posted:

Opinion | How to decide whether to close schools in the next pandemic
(..)
Cost-benefit analysis in this area could open new paths to negotiate between priorities in tension, by making clear what is at stake. Stanford University’s Eric Hanushek, for instance, estimated that states’ gross domestic product will be 0.6 to 2.9 percent lower “each year for the remainder of the twenty-first century” because of the educational decline since the start of the pandemic.
(..)
Archived link: https://archive.vn/LHim8

Looks like they forgot to factor in the cost of long covid brain fog across the entire population (including children) when they were calculating 'lower educational attainment' due to pandemic policy choices affecting the GDP, and the increase in people retiring early or forced to quit to go on disability due to covid pressures would be another form of brain drain on the workforce.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This kinda poo poo is why COVID will never get cornered. Give SARS-CoV-2 a few more years to cook and we will eventually see this turn into SARS-CoV-3..n
https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1743099277436444795

Ryan is more concerned about the Molnupiravir mutants, but I don't think he considers the distinction between branches and trunks over the long term.

Nitter thread: https://nitter.net/LongDesertTrain/status/1743099275062517837

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Looks like they forgot to factor in the cost of long covid brain fog across the entire population (including children) when they were calculating 'lower educational attainment' due to pandemic policy choices affecting the GDP, and the increase in people retiring early or forced to quit to go on disability due to covid pressures would be another form of brain drain on the workforce.

Must be an oversight that they are sure to correct.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Pingui posted:

:canada: There is little doubt - in general - that healthcare systems are under strain and not exclusively due to COVID, which has been the rhetorical final straw making a slow decline into an obvious crisis. At the same time, it should be understood that COVID causes a rapid decline in hospital capacity, which has largely been overlooked and paved over by simply postponing needed operations. When looking at the graph of hospitalizations below, consider that hospitals are at capacity, while COVID hospitalizations are nominally not at that high of a level comparatively. I suspect that this is similarly true for hospitalizations in other countries. Capacity cap makes hospitalizations lower, as a basic part of triage when all the other bullshit diseases generate even more critical patients (here just an excerpt down to the graph, but the article is a good read if you are interested in the Canadian healthcare system):

all due to typical public sector inefficiencies. nothing a bit of privatization and free market efficiency can't solve

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Covid was never going to be eradicated with our current tools. Even if the US eliminated it, people in other countries are going to have it and travel would mean bringing it back here. And animal reservoirs as mentioned above. if one person got COVID from a deer or cat or Bali that means the whole country can get it again

Best thing to do is develop a sterilizing vaccine.

we don’t have one so until then then second best thing to do is universal masking

but that would put restaurants out of business so third best thing is mask mandates everywhere except restaurants. that would at least keep infections to “2021 CDC green” levels

fourth fifth sixth best things to do are varying levels of intermittent masking

but we’re not doing any masking so we’re where we are now

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pingui posted:

I have previously highlighted that the current COVID churn of healthcare personnel isn't sustainable a number and here's a bit of news from :denmark:. It is worth noting that this press release from the Ministry of the Interior and Health indicate that the predatory brain drain phase is coming up short (which is unsurprising, if I recall correct the Philippines have a shortage of nurses in the quarter million range and India has similar issues, though I don't know offhand how steep):

This is not the first time I've heard of this model, to an extent where I would call it a generic model in the EU, as it is seemingly normalized in Germany (and the UK).

As an example of said "generic model", I saw this very interesting mini documentary on the preying on Albanian healthcare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFXZ21UE_8Q
Come for the very nice facility teaching Albanian nurses German, stay for the country nurse seeing all of 2 patients in a day, because it takes him multiple hours of walking to get to them. Because 1) he can't afford a car on his salary and 2) the roads are too poor for horses.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
all the “covid could never have been eradicated” sounds a lot like the typical capitalist realism propaganda line.

for coronaviruses alone: we contained MERS despite animal reservoirs and we eradicated sars 1 despite no vaccine

we could have done this again with covid if we hadn’t hosed up the playbook China distributed to contain this poo poo.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Actually, if you believe in a just world hard enough, you will realize that COVID is neither pulmonary nor cardiovascular, but a disease of the mind. Easily cured by ignoring reality.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Steve Yun posted:

Even if the US eliminated it, people in other countries are going to have it and travel would mean bringing it back here.

/Australianishly: Yeah, I know. :smith:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Even if eradication isn’t possible without a sterilizing vaccine improvements in air quality standards and a change in culture to encourage masking in crowded public settings would be enough to keep it simmering in the background instead of constant waves.

Whatever happened to those covid breathalyzer things? Those would be real handy as well and my understanding was they worked pretty well but never made it past lab testing due to funding or something.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

tuyop posted:

all the “covid could never have been eradicated” sounds a lot like the typical capitalist realism propaganda line.

for coronaviruses alone: we contained MERS despite animal reservoirs and we eradicated sars 1 despite no vaccine

we could have done this again with covid if we hadn’t hosed up the playbook China distributed to contain this poo poo.

once the animal reservoirs were established in mid 2020 there was no eradication possible

could smothered it in its crib in January/february but welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

jisforjosh posted:

Been out of the COVID immunization loop, if I can get the updated Novavax is that the way I should go over Moderna?

That is the general recommendation, as prior rounds showed Novavax to be more resilient against the variants of the time (iirc being roughly on par with the bivalent vaccines, despite being unupdated). There isn't any new data to back it up, so it is more of a just in case, possibly, maybe, type deals.

It might also have generally lower side effects, though ymmv.