Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the biggest change between the TTRPG Navigators and Cassia is that they have toned her ability to annihilate everything with her basic Lidless Eye down a little, and made any abilities that were not Lidless Eye theoretically useful.

Lidless Eye was nonsensically powerful
I assume Cassia is basically doing a drag queen glare with that thing in order to minimize the risk of killing the Rogue Trader and their minions and/or anybody in a mile radius. The vibe I got from what I remember in the RPG is that the Navigator just turns that poo poo on high-beam because at that point they have like a daemon or whatever about to crawl up their rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the biggest change between the TTRPG Navigators and Cassia is that they have toned her ability to annihilate everything with her basic Lidless Eye down a little, and made any abilities that were not Lidless Eye theoretically useful.

Lidless Eye was nonsensically powerful

In the lore it's supposed to be able to melt a space marine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
is the space marine okay, though?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
yeah he was a nurglite it was just annoying.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

Picked this up recently, just touched down on Janus, going Iconoclast, having a fun time.

Just by deciding that "A charismatic Noble/Officer seems neat" and "I will build Argenta to fight like the Sororitas do on tabletop", combat has already mostly cracked wide open in a hail of extra turns and bonus actions (also Cassia just being generally Absurdly Powerful). I could self-limit on that, but I'm also not seeing a clear alternative that isn't that. I wish there were more archetypes or character-specific archetypes, because as it is Arch-Militant is kind of The fighty class.

you are playing the game correctly

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Warden posted:

Buddy, you are absolutely full of poo poo if you claim that one can beat WotR on difficulties above Core without using any buffs. Did you by any chance mean below Core?

I do not.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

More human than hu...man...!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
IMO Black library does largely a good job implying that certain cultural factors that are at the forefront in the present day aren't really as important or even extant in the 41st millennium. In so much as sex and sexuality is stated or implied it seems much more casual and less stigmatized and formalized than in the present.

I think that there are a lot of moving parts behind that, including the idea that sex doesn't sell models (at least not the way they want to), a legitimate intent to depict a different culture than the present, and the writers being almost entirely older white British dudes who aren't necessarily equipped or interested to make things like sex and race and background a pillar of their writing.

The company is also probably extremely embarrassed about some of the earliest content put out, which was extremely explicitly horny. And, I don't want to yuck anyone's yums, It was horny in a way that's probably not in the best interest of the IP.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah the Pygmy models are pretty notorious

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the Inquisition War books are an absolute mess, yes. made all the worse by the fact the guy writing them gets the comedy value of 40K, at least by the end of it. book 1 contains a bunch of extremely gross sex poo poo that is why Games Workshop tries to pretend the series never existed. book 2 ends with the super hot shapeshifter assassin girlfriend getting killed in a fight with an Eldar Aspect in the depths of the webway. book 3 climaxes with the inquisitor bringing said girlfriend back to life through some kind of webway time travel bullshit. her first act is killing him because as far as she's concerned the Aspect just pulled up an illusion of the Inquisitor to try to distract her and then hauling off into the webway trying to hunt the Aspect down.

the spectating party members, a Squat and a Space Marine, then say "well that was a real waste of time. lets go wander off and try to find some of the Emperor's biological children I guess?"

at its best Ian Watson captures the baroque nightmare insanity and resultant dark comedy of 40K pretty well. at its worst, [the entirety of Book 1]

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Most of the stories in the setting just aren’t written in a way where it would come up—it’s much more about slamming action figures together. And I want to be clear that I’ve read a bunch of 40k books because I do enjoy some good action figure slamming. But the author would have to go out of their way to make it come up.

I recently started reading Flesh and Steel, which is a detective story in the 40k universe, and it’s really interesting seeing people just Existing in the setting in a place where war isn’t presently going on, You get an entirely different sort of details out of it.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, 40k has horniness, you just have to look for it. The Eisenhorn/Ravenor novels I read a decade ago I remember being almost soap opera horny in the Inquisitors' retinues, and I know there was one particular character, a redheaded acrobat, who never appeared on the page without being described as "voluptuous"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Most of the stories in the setting just aren’t written in a way where it would come up—it’s much more about slamming action figures together. And I want to be clear that I’ve read a bunch of 40k books because I do enjoy some good action figure slamming. But the author would have to go out of their way to make it come up.

I recently started reading Flesh and Steel, which is a detective story in the 40k universe, and it’s really interesting seeing people just Existing in the setting in a place where war isn’t presently going on, You get an entirely different sort of details out of it.

There are different kinds of action figure slamming. Don't pretend you never made your dolls kiss.

One of the things I like about RT though is that there's a good amount of 'normal boring life' stuff in the game that helps build the setting. Yeah, it's about grimdark war in the 41st 42nd millennium meant to sell plastic models of varying quality to nerds, but nerds really like their set dressings too. Seeing commoners going black friday for some corpse starch or turning a corner of the administratum office into a coffee house or having a Jane Austen-style romance with the sheltered noble are fun set dressing that makes the world feel lived in that other 40k games don't touch on because they're RTS games or 4X or FPS games that don't care about that stuff. Rogue Trader gets to play with these things because it is an RPG telling character stories, and for better or worse the trappings of the CRPG genre carry certain expectations that a Black Library writer doesn't have to cater to.

And hey, at least it's not the first sets of Repentia models. Naked women wearing scrolls is something I expect out of some anime waifu models and is decidedly less interesting than Jae's antics.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

The Lord of Hats posted:

Warhammer Crime in general is a great line of books. Bloodlines is good, as is Wraithbone Phoenix, and the anthology Vorbis Conspiracy is great.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Gainsboro posted:

Having just breezed through the game on hard mode, all you need is a soldier/arch-militant, an officer/sanctioned psyker, and Cassia:

Take the obvious on the merc you make to replace Argenta (seriously, if you take her on missions she will interfere with your heretical decisions and you can't stop her).

On the psyker take Sanctic (cast Word of the Emperor and Hammer of the Emperor as often as possible), Telepath (for Pain Channeling and Aftershock), Bring it Down, and Pyro (just for Backdraft). Put everything else into origin perks and Master Tactician. Their primary weapon should be a bolt staff.

Load Cassia up with Navigator powers and talents, only straying to grab Bring it Down, Commanding Voice, and the ridiculous Master Tactician perks.

Also No Respite. Put No Respite on every character that can take it. By the end you should be seeing stupid numbers like these.

Thanks for this. My RT is a Voidborn psyker, I'm having him take Pyro and Telepath and Idira be more of a support character with Sanctic. Early bolt staff seems pretty weak relative to other weapons...am I missing something?

Just killing time until GTFO is an option for Argenta, I made a forge world crime lord soldier to replace her. Longlas rifle at range and chainsword/laspistol up close. Sure-fire plan, Concentrated fire and Run And Gun are working well together. Cassia is a beast and we've only gotten to the Rykia spaceport battles. Just defeated the cult in the warehouse with minimal difficulty.

Looking forward to chasing down the sword shard and becoming my crew's god

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Anyone know if there is a reason why the epic store version is not playable on geforce now? Picked this up during the holidays sales and was hoping to play on my laptop via geforce now but it's not an option, although both pathfinder games are.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
People talking about noticing the difference between Act 1-3 and then Act 4 were not joking. Just the whole "Rumors" function is completely broken and I've seen the same Vox Master interrupt happen multiple times when passing by a certain planet even after resolving that "rumor".

It doesn't help that any campaign map based skill checks are going to be a coin toss if they actually use the correct party member. Trying to resolve a colony event with -75 skill checks and its picking people who have 0 chance of success instead of Pasqal.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah, this game is a bit buggier than Wrath after act 3. Despite some bugs I was able to complete Wrath within a few weeks of release (I binged the gently caress out of it), but my game is stuck in Act 4 a month after release. Though that does include a holiday break for them and Wrath came out in September. Hopefully we get a good patch this week.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah, 40k has horniness, you just have to look for it. The Eisenhorn/Ravenor novels I read a decade ago I remember being almost soap opera horny in the Inquisitors' retinues, and I know there was one particular character, a redheaded acrobat, who never appeared on the page without being described as "voluptuous"

Hell, even the aforementioned Cain series can get up there. I'm on book 7 currently, and just about every time a particular character turns up Cain makes a point to note how she's about to spill out of her clothes. Which kinda makes sense, since chronologically it's one of the first stories where he's still pretty young, and he's being pretty adroitly manipulated by that character to boot. :allears:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The thing about the Imperium is that while it is a nightmare hell fascist state, it's also insanely tolerant in a lot of ways compared to many IRL societies, let alone authoritarian ones.
Religious diversity is pretty big. They don't have too much in the way of actual orthodoxy and as long as you worship the Emperor and only Him, they generally don't care how you do it.
Racism does not exist, and while some cultures are noted to be sexist, the Imperium as a whole seems to not really care about gender or sexuality. As long as you are a human with reasonably stable genes, you're good.
Plus obviously the feudal nature meaning there is little in the way of a unifying Imperium-wide culture and lots of countless local traditions and practices.

Like as odd as it is to say, the Imperium is pretty tolerant, they just have absolutely no tolerance when it comes to a small number of things, reasonable and unreasonable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Hell, even the aforementioned Cain series can get up there. I'm on book 7 currently, and just about every time a particular character turns up Cain makes a point to note how she's about to spill out of her clothes. Which kinda makes sense, since chronologically it's one of the first stories where he's still pretty young, and he's being pretty adroitly manipulated by that character to boot. :allears:

Hell Cain managed to hook up with an enginseer.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 17, 2024

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

Pershing posted:

Early bolt staff seems pretty weak relative to other weapons...am I missing something?
It's because sanctioned psykers start with psy level 0. Idira will do significantly more damage with it in the early game because she starts at psy level 1, and this tradeoff will become less worth it over time as the sanctioned gains psy levels from feats and gear while Idira maintains a higher chance of exploding.

Hammer of the Emperor (and its later combo with Press the Advantage) is core to getting those zap numbers up, because the flat damage boost applies to all targets hit by it.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Gainsboro posted:

It's because sanctioned psykers start with psy level 0. Idira will do significantly more damage with it in the early game because she starts at psy level 1, and this tradeoff will become less worth it over time as the sanctioned gains psy levels from feats and gear while Idira maintains a higher chance of exploding.

Yeah, I had my RT using the bolt staff and Idira using a divination staff for Consign.

Does unsanctioned increase the chance of Perils Of The Warp/summoning warp creatures? I had assumed sanctioned and unsanctioned were just story fluff labels.

Gainsboro posted:

Hammer of the Emperor (and its later combo with Press the Advantage) is core to getting those zap numbers up, because the flat damage boost applies to all targets hit by it.

But anyone can cast Hammer, not just the bolt staff user? Also, will I get to keep Heinrix in the party or does he create problems like Argenta?

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Pershing posted:

Yeah, I had my RT using the bolt staff and Idira using a divination staff for Consign.

Does unsanctioned increase the chance of Perils Of The Warp/summoning warp creatures? I had assumed sanctioned and unsanctioned were just story fluff labels.

But anyone can cast Hammer, not just the bolt staff user? Also, will I get to keep Heinrix in the party or does he create problems like Argenta?

Problems are the spice of life. I'd be somewhat worried about having three psykers, though. Exacerbating the issue, unsanctioned does make perils more likely, that's the tradeoff for the +1 psy rating.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Griddle of Love posted:

Problems are the spice of life. I'd be somewhat worried about having three psykers, though. Exacerbating the issue, unsanctioned does make perils more likely, that's the tradeoff for the +1 psy rating.

I'm keeping Idira around because I killed her off in my last playthrough. If I'm getting rid of anybody, it'll be Heinrix.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Pershing posted:

I'm keeping Idira around because I killed her off in my last playthrough. If I'm getting rid of anybody, it'll be Heinrix.

Hmm, Idira can do some fun stuff but Heinrix can be a dodge tank with over 300% dodge, 95% parry, 300% armor and so on.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gainsboro posted:

But Idira can wear the gloves that give +1 psi-rating every time things get spooky, allowing her to skyrocket her rating with enough officer attention. Or explode. It’s a cointoss each battle.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I finished up Commorragh.

Did I really just miss out on recruiting Ulfar? I talked to him a bunch when he was in his cage and nothing we talked about allowed me to recruit him. I figured he'd just show up at some point during the Act and allow me to bring him with me but...nothing? If this is it and there's no other chances of recruiting him other than reloading the entire segment then lol, I guess I just get to see him on loading screens.

Also, no Heinrix. He just vanished. He never appeared during all of Commoorragh and he's not back on the ship when I returned. He just unceremoniously bounced.

I got Marazhai though, so I guess that's the trade?

What a hosed up part of the game. I'm not really sure how any of you guys enjoyed it.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 18, 2024

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

AndyElusive posted:

Did I really just miss out on recruiting Ulfar? I talked to him a bunch when he was in his cage and nothing we talked about allowed me to recruit him. I figured he'd just show up at some point during the Act and allow me to bring him with me but...nothing? If this is it and there's no other chances of recruiting him other than reloading the entire segment then lol, I guess I just get to see him on loading screens.

Also, no Heinrix. He just vanished. He never appeared during all of Commoorragh and he's not back on the ship when I returned. He just unceremoniously bounced.

What a hosed up part of the game. I'm not really sure how any of you guys enjoyed it.

After speaking with Ulfar at least once, you have to talk to the haemonculus and pay him a body part to release the space marines and you have to pass a skill check. He then gives you a key, you go back to Ulfar and either take a dogmatic option if you’re dogmatic or otherwise pass another skill check to convince him you’re legit, iirc.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yes you missed Ulfar. You needed to buy him off the Haemonculus.

Was Heinrik in your party when you went there? If so then he was in the city and you didn’t find him.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

You have to talk to the fleshcrafter to recruit Ulfar and find out where he hid Heinrix/Cass if they got taken to commoragh with you.

Instead of being unceremoniously bounced, if you don't get them back they are Trapped in a psyker nullifying deprivation chamber going insane as their own thoughts bounce around inside their cold heads with nothing to tether or guide them for eternity. Bummer.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 18, 2024

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:negative:

Heinrix was with me at the start, so I guess I just didn't explore enough to find him. And that sucks about Ulfar.

The entire Commorragh act feels so volatile, considering. Which I guess is thematically appropriate.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Preechr posted:

After speaking with Ulfar at least once, you have to talk to the haemonculus and pay him a body part to release the space marines and you have to pass a skill check. He then gives you a key, you go back to Ulfar and either take a dogmatic option if you’re dogmatic or otherwise pass another skill check to convince him you’re legit, iirc.

I think you also need to talk to Ulfar before finishing the conversation with Haemonculus. I didn't notice Ulfar until I was about to leave so after I spoke to him I went back to Haemonculus, but he was done talking at that point. I didn't realize this was a problem so I kept playing past that part and missed the chance to recruit Ulfar.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
They need to fix the whole Hamonculus set of interactions. I don't even know why voluntarily giving up the body parts for free is an option and the choices seem to change each time you talk to him. I had to reload several times because I couldn't quite make sense of the whole spiel.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Has the game received any updates that fix some of the post act 3 stuff yet?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Has the game received any updates that fix some of the post act 3 stuff yet?

Very slightly.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

pentyne posted:

They need to fix the whole Hamonculus set of interactions. I don't even know why voluntarily giving up the body parts for free is an option and the choices seem to change each time you talk to him. I had to reload several times because I couldn't quite make sense of the whole spiel.

Yeah I had given over all mine, then googled to find any extras to give him for Ulfar. Just make it cost x body parts imo.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Missed Ulfar as well. Same reason, gave away trophies for some random stuff because it wasn't obvious I'll need those for that character. Sounds dumb I can't just open the cage and suffer some consequence later on.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Patch is up

quote:

Highlights

Fixed the issue that could prevent the player character from starting Act V if they allied with the ;
Some companions lost their convictions in new games - fixed;
Another part of missing names was added to the Credits and Shrine of Remembrance;
Added cargo sorting in the vendor interface;

Death World's Survival Instinct feature now correctly applies its 20% armor and Dodge bonus, while you have temporary wounds. Note: as the bonus is situational, the 20% armor will stay invisible on the character screen, but will be correctly applied to the attacks;

Please be aware of plot spoilers in the description below!

System and stability
Fixed the possible crashes in Act V;

Narrative
Now will remember if player demonstrate their loyalty using the Dogmatic option during the dialog;
During his first quest, could start , even if he was told not to do so - fixed;
Fixed a bug due to which Heinrix was required to be taken when landing on even if his mission there had already been completed ;
During the quest, when passing an event in the system through a space battle with a squadron of , the task could not be completed - fixed. If you have it unfinished, you need to return to that system;
In the players were not able to trigger the final script and couldn't finish the quest objective - fixed;
If all the guards died in the battle of the first quest, the quest did not end - fixed;
During the quest, an answer in the dialogue could cause the dialogue to glitch - fixed;
In , it was possible to land on without Heinrix during his personal quest - fixed;
With a small chance, could transform into because of of his ally, preventing the quest from progressing - fixed;

Fixed the issue that could prevent the player character from starting Act V if they allied with the ;
Fixed the bug when the plot flow stopped during the quest. Players, who've encountered this problem, will have to return to the system.
Fixed a rare bug that could prevent the player character from receiving an objective to land on . Such players will be given the quest when they load after installing the patch or the next time they visit the system;
The game could freeze during the first conversation with the on Footfall - fixed;

Mechanics
It is no longer possible to take items from the cargo while being in Commorragh ;
The display of an attack preview when being in a full cover was corrected. Now the previews are shown from the exit position point and not from the position behind the cover;
An explanatory conversation was held with the allies, now they will stop shooting you in the back with burst attacks;

Now every companion has their own cost for respecialisation. Also, each of them will get three first respecialisations for free;

Continuous Analysis talent now correctly applies stacks only on the Operative's turn;
Assassin's Killing Edge ability now correctly increases the damage by Lethality% if hitting an opening;
Warrior's Clenched Teeth talent now correctly gives Deflection against the attack of each enemy;
Talent-like features granted by colony projects often did not work correctly - fixed;
Emperor's Voice ability now always applies to companions;
Flame weapon expert talent was reducing the firing cost of some abilities to zero - fixed;
Using the Sword of Faith psychic power and then saving the game in the middle of combat, caused an error leading to a loss of equipped weapon - fixed;
Steady Superiority (Upgrade III) now correctly provides one stack for each attack (previously applied for each bullet);
Machine Spirit Scan Protocols no longer apply stacks of Exploit on allies;
Blessing of the Data-Angels increased enemy armor instead of increasing armor penetration - fixed;
Balance adjustments were made in the battle with for the Story and Normal difficulties;
Balance adjustments were made in the battle with for the Story and Normal difficulties;
Some adjustments were made to the Story difficulty to make it easier;
Death World's Survival Instinct feature now correctly applies its 20% armor and Dodge bonus, while you have temporary wounds. Note: as the bonus is situational, the 20% armor will stay invisible on the character screen, but will be correctly applied to the attacks;

Items
Phantom Cloak did not reduce warp damage - fixed;
Thunder Hammer and Mace animations were changed;
Devastating Navigator staves allowed to use any navigator power twice, not just attacking powers - fixed;
Expeditionary Footwear increased dodge until the end of combat instead of until the wearer's next turn - fixed;
Laughing God's Pendant had technical id's in the description instead of the formulas - fixed;
The Halo Device could not be unequipped even if the player didn't want to wear it or it was taken by ;
Vendors and Space Marines quest rewards were updated;
Psyker's Breastplate now gains an additional +1 Psy Rating in case of any Perils of Warp or Psychic Phenomena;

Locations
Units on the stairs now will move correctly between areas;

Visual
When , the camera could glitch and go to black - fixed;
Fixed the size of the Aeldari models;
Fixed the background animations for epilogue slides;

User Interface
Fixed display of discounts in the vendor interface;
The visual effect could not disappear after using the Point of Curiosity ability - fixed;
debuff is now displayed only on character sheet;
Added cargo sorting in the vendor interface;
Improved experience of interacting with the group interface on PC. Scrolling through a group and constantly jumping to the first member of the group - fixed;

Space
Rewards of the Dark Sages and the Capella Biologis projects were swapped - fixed;
The Capella Biologis project now requires Explorators' reputation instead of Kasballica's;
The Dark Sages project now requires Kasballica's reputation instead of Explorators';

Miscellaneous
Another part of missing names was added to the Credits and Shrine of Remembrance;
Interchapter could fail to play when processing to Act V - fixed;
Some companions lost their convictions in new games - fixed;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Don't want to read too much because of spoilers, does it look like enough changes to make acts IV/V playable?