Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
There's a fan project to port historical to 3rd edition. I believe it started in French and has since been translated? The Victoria Wargaming guys were digging into it a while back.

Biggest thing with TOW is the playerbase it might bring. In my area, there are lots of people that used to play fantasy, but very few of them made the jump to KoW. Lots of hype locally for TOW, though who knows if it will transition to a stable community. Anyway numbers matter, so I can see small KoW communities getting swallowed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Mantic is really leaning into the fact that they have 4 affordable factions for Epic Warpath.

Not going to lie, I thoroughly enjoyed painting tiny tanks when I was working on some old Epic Leman Russes to use as tanks in Battletech. If nothing else, this might be a fun hobby project even if I never play the drat game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Got in touch with the Philly KoW group, they play once a month which is awesome.

Finished up my first troop of Abyssal Dwarf Blacksouls!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
A few of my friends are starting to get interested in Ambush and I'm frustrated because literally everything I need to play I have, but I'm really liking the look of the current Abyssal Dwarf range and I just don't think I can justify it.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Count Thrashula posted:

Got in touch with the Philly KoW group, they play once a month which is awesome.

Finished up my first troop of Abyssal Dwarf Blacksouls!

Fabelzel makes amazing big hat models, and great job painting them!

My local group is planning a slow-grow escalation map campaign to help a whole group of new players get into the game, and I’m trying to figure out what I should start building. I think maybe Riftforged Orcs, built using some printable oldhammer-style orcs if I can find some suitable ones.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Anyone have thoughts on Armada? I have a bunch of printable stuff from the vault and I like ship stuff so it seems like it'd be fun to get into, but not if it's a dog poo poo game.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've not played it, but my understanding is that it's a very good game. It shares its core with a Warlord naval game and you can even import historical fleets I believe.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Count Thrashula posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Armada? I have a bunch of printable stuff from the vault and I like ship stuff so it seems like it'd be fun to get into, but not if it's a dog poo poo game.

I like it! Gameplay is rewarding, positioning is super important, and you get that feeling of momentum in the ships. There's a critical hit table, so be prepared for somewhat swingy results - game probably not suitable for serious competitive play.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well I splurged on the Abyssal Dwarf Ambush set with the last of my Christmas money. I was surprised to see that it didn't come with 20mm bases and only had the MDF ones. I suppose that's one way to cut down on cost. My buddy has an MDF cutter though so I was able to get 40 bases for $1.50.

I'll be using the Dungeon Saga Origins Abyssal Dwarves as heroes for the time being, but it kind of annoys me that they're on round bases and not square like in Dungeon Saga OG. None of my opponents will care if heroes are on round bases though.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Seing the tomb kings starter set be 290 dollars made me mad enough at myself I was even thinking about looking at Old World I went and bought the chaos dwarf/twilight kin starter and some of those boat chariots and the Clash of Kings 2024 book

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I still have impulse bought (the old super starter bought on world cup discount) Undead and (looted at cost from a store liquidating their Mantic stock) Elves to do something with, several years old now but I think the minis are current

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I painted two Abyssal Dwarves from Dungeon Saga Origins. I'll be using them in Ambush as heroes.

NTRabbit posted:

I still have impulse bought (the old super starter bought on world cup discount) Undead and (looted at cost from a store liquidating their Mantic stock) Elves to do something with, several years old now but I think the minis are current

I am pretty sure the plastic elves haven't been updated since Mantic opened as a business. My son thinks they're cool looking at least.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Seing the tomb kings starter set be 290 dollars made me mad enough at myself I was even thinking about looking at Old World I went and bought the chaos dwarf/twilight kin starter and some of those boat chariots and the Clash of Kings 2024 book

And this is why we're all suddenly playing Ambush in Bangkok.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Nice! I think the first Clash of Kings Asia just happened in Malaysia maybe? Page Neo did some coverage for it on his YouTube channel, Newbie Dice, which is good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've also finished the four heroes from the first quest.

These really aren't bad models at all. I tried storing them back in the shaped plastic container in the cube, but as I test I just put in one and when I removed it, the container immediately scraped off the black rim around the base, so I guess that's a non-starter.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Not so happy with the paint job, but I'm printing out some Basilean and Orc started fleets and painting them up to learn the ropes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
These are pretty cool models and were fairly easy to paint as well. Despite the round bases, I should be able to use them as heroes in Kings of War Ambush without issue.

And all of the Abyssal Dwarves I've painted so far.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 14, 2024

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Starter Basileans fleet for Armada is done! Orcs are up next.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
It's a long shot this applies to anyone, but my group is running an (up to) 20 person Kings of War Armada tournament on the 17th of March in south Oxfordshire UK.

I can link the event if by any Miracle there is interest.

We also have a KOW one in October, which is at 30 out of 40 people already!

This is a demo game of my kingdom of men, Vs my orcs run by my 7YO son and some salamanders that did not last long.

Also, where do kids get their magical abilities to roll well? He did 47 points of damage with two hammerfists at point blank, rolling three crits in one salvo!

He now wants an Empire of dust fleet...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Count Thrashula posted:

Starter Basileans fleet for Armada is done! Orcs are up next.

Those look awesome! Love me some boat action.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Grey Hunter posted:

It's a long shot this applies to anyone, but my group is running an (up to) 20 person Kings of War Armada tournament on the 17th of March in south Oxfordshire UK.

I can link the event if by any Miracle there is interest.

We also have a KOW one in October, which is at 30 out of 40 people already!

This is a demo game of my kingdom of men, Vs my orcs run by my 7YO son and some salamanders that did not last long.

Also, where do kids get their magical abilities to roll well? He did 47 points of damage with two hammerfists at point blank, rolling three crits in one salvo!

He now wants an Empire of dust fleet...

That's a great idea running Black Seas ships as KoM units. My group has a great time with it and the release of some of the ships as STLs has me seriously tempted...

Edit: This might help. I use these for our games of Black Seas and I find it way, way easier than the cards and tokens that come with the base game. You could probably mod them for the Armada ships as well with some work.
https://kingtiger.co.uk/black-seas-ship-cards/

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 16, 2024

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

That's a great idea running Black Seas ships as KoM units. My group has a great time with it and the release of some of the ships as STLs has me seriously tempted...

Edit: This might help. I use these for our games of Black Seas and I find it way, way easier than the cards and tokens that come with the base game. You could probably mod them for the Armada ships as well with some work.
https://kingtiger.co.uk/black-seas-ship-cards/

Mantic do a upgrade card pack that covers KOM, so it's an easy jump!
Plus their app allows you to print the cards.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What do I need to be up to date on the Kings of War rules? I bought the Compendium, so I figure that Clash of Kings 2024 cover most of the updates. Are there anything in between the two that I should look at?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Electric Hobo posted:

What do I need to be up to date on the Kings of War rules? I bought the Compendium, so I figure that Clash of Kings 2024 cover most of the updates. Are there anything in between the two that I should look at?

That's it. COK24 is the most up to date army lists, and the online "app" will let you build the armies/check the rules.

No three books to play here!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

That's it. COK24 is the most up to date army lists, and the online "app" will let you build the armies/check the rules.

No three books to play here!
I'm crying tears of happiness over here! Seriously, that's awesome.

No-one plays it around here, but with the influx of Warhammer Fantasy nerds, I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a few to try it out.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Electric Hobo posted:

I'm crying tears of happiness over here! Seriously, that's awesome.

No-one plays it around here, but with the influx of Warhammer Fantasy nerds, I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a few to try it out.

As of today they're giving the Clash 2024 book away with some other stuff. Hopefully not too late for you!

https://www.manticgames.com/kings-of-war/getting-started/

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Too late for me to get a free one! I'll be printing my minis, so I only need the clash book. I'll get it from my FLGS, so at least I won't have to pay shipping.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I was absolutely not going to buy the 3rd Edition Compendium because my friend has a (legal) digital copy and I barely used my OG 3rd Edition book, but gently caress it with a free Clash of Kings I guess I'm getting it and some golems to justify the shipping.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Whoa I thought it was just for the army sets.

Ugh I really hope the deal is still going on next weekend when I get paid. 2024 is gonna be the year I go whole hog into Mantic, especially since I found a local club that plays KoW monthly.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Count Thrashula posted:

Ugh I really hope the deal is still going on next weekend when I get paid. 2024 is gonna be the year I go whole hog into Mantic, especially since I found a local club that plays KoW monthly.

Yep, free with just the Compendium if that's all you're after.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Count Thrashula posted:

Runs until Feb 1st according to a youtube comment!

I'm so glad they're adding more Ambush sets. Those are such a clearly good value, where the standard unit boxes are kinda marginal. They even kinda put the army boxes to shame!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Cross-posting from the Goblin Thread. These are all from Dungeon Saga Origins.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
You know, I really love the aesthetic of Warpath. I would totally play that over 40k if anyone else played it.

Edit-- or Firefight or whatever, I dunno what the Mantic scifi universe is called.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm not sure the setting has a particular name yet, I guess the closest would be that it's all set in and around the Galactic Co-Prosperity Sphere, but Deadzone, Firefight, Warpath, and Dreadball are all part of it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think it was being called "Warpath Universe" based on the what the fluff book from the Warpath Kickstarter a few years ago.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I settled on a Herd army for Kings of War, using One Page Rules' Ratmen. I know there's an actual Ratkin army, but I like druids and stuff better, and I finally have a reason to print some of the fox riders (as chariots).
I've roped a pal into trying out a game, so now I just need to churn out a bunch of minis. Hopefully it stick this time, I've tried to get into the game several times. No one else was interested before, so it's looking bright-ish.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Electric Hobo posted:

I settled on a Herd army for Kings of War, using One Page Rules' Ratmen. I know there's an actual Ratkin army, but I like druids and stuff better, and I finally have a reason to print some of the fox riders (as chariots).
I've roped a pal into trying out a game, so now I just need to churn out a bunch of minis. Hopefully it stick this time, I've tried to get into the game several times. No one else was interested before, so it's looking bright-ish.

I strongly recommend you give Ambush a try first. It's only 750 points or so that you need to get started and it has fairly straightforward list building. It's a more manageable target for collecting, building, and painting an army (though I guess with 3D printing it's just about wait times for the printer) and it plays very fast while using the majority of the rules in the full game. I played a game this weekend using my old Bretonnians as Kingdoms of Men against my buddy's Undead and it was a lot of fun. I only needed to make space for a 4x4 table as well! Another bonus in tight living conditions.

I can't quite remember who designed these tokens, but I know it was a Goon on these very forums. They're still getting use and I love them.

I painted up this zombie ogre as well. The Dungeon Saga Origins Legendary Edition box continues to be an amazing value for the range and quality of minis in it.

The more I look at it, the more I find the skin unsettling, which I guess was the goal!

Also, have an undead dwarf king for good measure.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

I strongly recommend you give Ambush a try first. It's only 750 points or so that you need to get started and it has fairly straightforward list building. It's a more manageable target for collecting, building, and painting an army (though I guess with 3D printing it's just about wait times for the printer) and it plays very fast while using the majority of the rules in the full game. I played a game this weekend using my old Bretonnians as Kingdoms of Men against my buddy's Undead and it was a lot of fun. I only needed to make space for a 4x4 table as well! Another bonus in tight living conditions.

Strongly agree, but I'll just add that it's best not to take it too seriously, and try to keep unit count fairly high. KoW is mostly a piece trading game, so unless you have at least a few units you can afford to lose it can be very swingy and dull. That can unfortunately promote different hobby priorities than the full game, where troops and regiments are less common. It's a great format for a developing scene or for a bit of weird variety, but it definitely thrives with a cooperative spirit.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

MCPeePants posted:

Strongly agree, but I'll just add that it's best not to take it too seriously, and try to keep unit count fairly high. KoW is mostly a piece trading game, so unless you have at least a few units you can afford to lose it can be very swingy and dull. That can unfortunately promote different hobby priorities than the full game, where troops and regiments are less common. It's a great format for a developing scene or for a bit of weird variety, but it definitely thrives with a cooperative spirit.

For sure. The game I played on Saturday was great because we were able to trade units pretty evenly throughout the match and it never felt like one of us was clearly winning. I managed to hold one more objective than him at the end because on the second to last turn I took out one of two scoring units he had remaining and his vampire failed to pop one of mine. Had the dice gone differently, he very well could have gotten a draw.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's the plan! I found a suggested list of 2 regiments of Spirit Walkers, 1 troop of Longhorns, 1 regiment of Brutes, and a troop of Harpies. And a Druid. That seems pretty good, and has some pieces to move around.
Then I'll add in some more stuff to get to a full list later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My Abyssal Dwarf Ambush starter arrived yesterday and I've already assembled 10 Decimators. They're a little tricky to rank, but hey that's the game we play. I had ordered a heavy mortar, but in the box was a light mortar instead, so I've emailed Mantic and within a few hours they told me they'd send me the right piece. Sounds like I got a light mortar for free, so hooray Mantic! That will give me a few extra options when playing Ambush games and nudges me closer to a full scale game of KoW with the Abyssal Dwarves.