Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hiberni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/16/04

Brenda Starr 6/15/52

Huh, that's a pretty fast exit for Retread.

So are the Noletti-Castles going to burn through all of Weegee's millions and retire to a pastoral hillbilly life?

Smokey Stover 3/29/59

Everyday Movies 2/25/37

"Yes, my knitting has improved a lot. Now I almost never drop a stitch when I see the boss coming."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/13/42

Spoilered for continuing presence of Lee Sung.

Closer Than We Think! 3/29/59

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 17, 2024

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Even in 2024, quote is not edit.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I strongly feel posters of old strips should continue to just spoiler the strips where racial caricatures feature. It'd be hard to follow along if strips didn't get posted because a railway porter was in a panel's foreground.

mycatscrimes posted:

Gunk was a wacky foreigner but he's also a little white blond kid without any racially othering features.

You seem to have forgotten Gunk's main feature, which is that his eyes were stacked horizontally in the middle of his face. Which thankfully doesn't line up with any hurtful stereotypes, but he wasn't just some generic white kid.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

You seem to have forgotten Gunk's main feature, which is that his eyes were stacked horizontally in the middle of his face. Which thankfully doesn't line up with any hurtful stereotypes, but he wasn't just some generic white kid.

IIRC that was dropped in his last appearance or two.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Gnoman posted:

That's probably what they're going for, but the Luann writers are pretty incompetent at getting things across.

They consistently nail getting one thing across: that Gunther is a boring, dorky, drip of a person. Just a simpering little teardrop and runny nose of a man.

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Looking forward to getting heat stroke in my future car.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(10/11/1993)

(10/12/1993)

Ziggy

(7/22/1971)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

That's...not a play?

Alley Oop

Curtis

Moonwalking, that trend all the kids are doing in 2024.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Sensibly chuckling at Ms. Pacifist Man

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is "Dustin's life sucks" a thing forever, like "Garfield likes lasagna"? Even loving Luann has some character progression.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

Of my two cats, one will eat pretty much anything you put in front of him and do so immediately. His brother has decided he doesn't like anything poultry flavored and will spend all day grazing. So I get it.

THORN, March 5-8, 1983

Around this time, Hill Street Blues, Cagney & Lacey, and TJ Hooker were running, while Barney Miller had just ended.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Gil Thorp

I don't think the guy getting punched yesterday was Coach Kaz, but a different coach we don't know yet. (Kaz has earrings.) The guy who punched him is one of his players who was pissed off he didn't get enough play time.

We have correctly shaped hockey skates (more or less). Also lmao at "oh, I forgot"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Medenmath posted:

American football does kind of make more sense for an action hero, since it's practically simulated combat already. Or maybe he should have been a fencer, given that he fights with a sword a bunch.

This comic from back in October or last year did mention Flash's fencing skills:

Another thing I've been wonder is if Schkade is going to change Flash's time of origin. That is, did Flash & Co. arrive on Mongo during the 1930's or are they from the 21st century? I suppose it doesn't really matter though if the story stays on Mongo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Endless Mike posted:

Of my two cats, one will eat pretty much anything you put in front of him and do so immediately. His brother has decided he doesn't like anything poultry flavored and will spend all day grazing. So I get it.

THORN, March 5-8, 1983

Around this time, Hill Street Blues, Cagney & Lacey, and TJ Hooker were running, while Barney Miller had just ended.

Mildly amusing since Thorn is on the busty side.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Saoshyant posted:

I'm going with "yelling so lustily" having a rather different meaning in the previous century.

Even in the 40s and 50s it would have come across with more of the modern sense. Foster uses a few different phrases (Gawain's frequent "love making" is another standout) that would have been giggle-worthy even when the strips were published but are perfectly correct albeit somewhat archaic in the usage he puts them to.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Prince Barin rules. Looking forward to whatever horrible thing soon happens to him.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Witch continuing to be a great character without saying a word.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons
I feel like I remember someone joking that Mr. Boomer is Tillman from the future, and this strip seems to be reinforcing that. :tinfoil:

kazz fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 17, 2024

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Samovar posted:

Y'know, I've found that often in cooking, one can reduce the amount of sugar in dishes by up to a half, and it still ends up tasting fine.

True with sugar, wrong with garlic

Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

That's...not a play?
And Peter Pan is also a musical.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Haifisch posted:

Witch continuing to be a great character without saying a word.
Honestly can't blame her for eating up this drama. As long as you're not related to him, Ming II showing up to drunkenly yell at everyone has to be the entertainment highlight of the entire wedding. Definitely understanding why Ming jumped over Ming II in the heir list, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Miing

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
That last panel in Val made me go "drat" out loud. so beautiful.

and Flash continues to impress. I also like the witch, she's loving this poo poo up.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PetraCore posted:

Honestly can't blame her for eating up this drama. As long as you're not related to him, Ming II showing up to drunkenly yell at everyone has to be the entertainment highlight of the entire wedding. Definitely understanding why Ming jumped over Ming II in the heir list, though.

Almost as good as Mary Worth wedding crasher, but not quite.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Forum accident posted:

Ziggy

(7/22/1971)

It's weird, but I'm really liking the original '71 Ziggy strips. They have a certain flat-stare charm to them that the strip lost pretty quickly.

Also, speaking as someone who actually worked on a high-school production of Peter Pan, ha ha ha, what are you going to do about hiring Flying By Foy to make the actors fly onstage? You're gonna say "Whoops, we can't afford that, something else it is!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Picayune posted:

Also, speaking as someone who actually worked on a high-school production of Peter Pan, ha ha ha, what are you going to do about hiring Flying By Foy to make the actors fly onstage? You're gonna say "Whoops, we can't afford that, something else it is!"

There's more flying in Pan than in Fiddler, but we made Fruma Sarah fly in high school. Granted, once they got that working the shrieking laughter in her lines was much more shriek-y.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You put them all on cheap hoverboards and have them woosh about the stage and then burst into flames.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Dingbat Family/The Family Upstairs(July 20, 1910)

Baron Bean(January 19, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(December 18, 1912)

$3.75 is $118.59 today
$4 is $126.49 today

Gasoline Alley(September 7, 1919)

Us Boys(October 16, 1911)

The Gumps(February 14, 1917)

Krazy Kat(November 12, 1913)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing: timg’d for breast-oriented content

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i gotta know

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing: timg’d for breast-oriented content

Holy poo poo lol at that right side

But I must confess I'm genuinely curious about the left side

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: With Love From Rufus

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ten Thousand Years of Racist Discrimination

Take The Jizz-Wailer, Leave The Cannoli

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 17, 2024

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003