Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mega Comrade posted:

He's been an active actor, and a very good one, for decades. Tbh his net worth of $15m seems low to what I would have guessed.

He's also on his third marriage. That adds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes indeed! I have a friend who was doing a PhD on colours but not had much contact lately so not sure how she's doing with that.
The example she used to quote was Homer's* "Wine dark sea" - there was no distinction between blue and green (apparently).
There was an interesting timeline chart about colour perception somewhere I'll see if I can find it.

*The ancient Greek poet, not Homer Simpson

That's a common misconception, he wrote that because the sea was actually red back then. From the algae.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In keeping with the other chat, there was a medical suggestion in the 19th century that Homer was colour-blind. But it turned out statistically unlikely.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Who would flag a ship in the UK? Flag it in Panama: You pay much less tax, and have not much in the way of workers rights mandated for the crew. Also, Panama lets you sign up your vessel online, and doesn't really care where it's from or what it's doing. It's a no brainer.
I'm guessing the Houthis* are targeting them based on their destination rather than their flag.

*which is to say the Former Yemen Arab Republic, which is to say North Yemen as de facto ruled by Ansar Allah, which is to say our proud allies against the Communist Yemen People's Democratic Republic until we got bored

Skeletome posted:

Like I get that it's funny, but also I feel like I'd like to see less examples of transwomen getting harassed by randos on social media in the thread
I figured it fell outside of random because a bunch of high profile LGBTQ accounts boosted it on account of how loving stupid it was and how badly said rando got dogpiled.

But then by doing a thumbnail screencap (in case anyone would rather not even read them) I kinda removed all that context myself.

Also a content warning for anyone who has optical issues with gradients, LGBTQ twitter is full of gradient memes this week after that other one (this can be avoided by not reading the musk site :v:)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Dabir posted:

That's a common misconception, he wrote that because the sea was actually red back then. From the algae.

Interesting! I did not know that.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Guavanaut posted:

I figured it fell outside of random because a bunch of high profile LGBTQ accounts boosted it on account of how loving stupid it was and how badly said rando got dogpiled.

But then by doing a thumbnail screencap (in case anyone would rather not even read them) I kinda removed all that context myself.

Also a content warning for anyone who has optical issues with gradients, LGBTQ twitter is full of gradient memes this week after that other one (this can be avoided by not reading the musk site :v:)

Totally fair! Sorry if I sounded snappy!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

also most public services are striking here tomorrow and the roads will be ungritted for a week as a consequence, in this weather

people are going to die

That's why i did my shopping today, 30mph through fog & snow but the main roads were passable, battening down the hatches for the next fortnight anyways. :shrug:

Best wishes to your aunt, was that an Armagh/Fermanagh/south Down hospital? I hear they are being hit hardest.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
SE trust

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dabir posted:

Think I'd need an actual cite on that one. AFAIK no one knows for sure why he put it that way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given herodotus wrote that flies had eight legs or something I think they just liked making poo poo up.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Given herodotus wrote that flies had eight legs or something I think they just liked making poo poo up.

He was called "Father Of lies" for a reason, Thucydides was more reliable but covered less.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Think I'd need an actual cite on that one. AFAIK no one knows for sure why he put it that way.

From when I did class-civ at A Level (so god(s) know how correct it was then or how correct it is now) the theory was that the ancient Greeks wrote/described what we expect to be colour more as what we would call 'brightness', 'heat' or general characteristics. The sea is wine-dark not because it is red but because, like wine, the deep Mediterranean is a clear liquid that is none the less dark and hard to see through. The sky is not 'bronze' because it's literally metallic brown but because it's bright, hot and shiny.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

A fly's wing, comrades, is an organ of propulsion and not of manipulation. It should therefore be regarded as a leg. The distinguishing mark of man is the HAND, the instrument with which he does all his mischief.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I do, it's cause the sea was red.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

For a "wine dark sea" all you need is a sea and a glorious cloud free sunset, simples!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmfao

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

lol and lmao

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1747604803260153929

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wait, so the jihadis are paying Keith?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

BalloonFish posted:

From when I did class-civ at A Level (so god(s) know how correct it was then or how correct it is now) the theory was that the ancient Greeks wrote/described what we expect to be colour more as what we would call 'brightness', 'heat' or general characteristics. The sea is wine-dark not because it is red but because, like wine, the deep Mediterranean is a clear liquid that is none the less dark and hard to see through. The sky is not 'bronze' because it's literally metallic brown but because it's bright, hot and shiny.

Something along these lines is also what I was taught. Greece does get red algal blooms sometimes but from what I remember Homer is just describing normal seas. I'm sure he'd have made a big deal of Thetis weeping tears of bloody grief for noble Achilles or whatever if it were an unusual colour.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Defending criminals? Defending murderers? Rapists? What is the state of this country, saying nothing of the morals of the man who defends them, where people guilty of crimes are defended in court. It's indefensible.
smh at this broken country

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s 100% a May election. The PR is already under full steam. They can’t keep this wank up for another 12 months

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

They can’t keep this wank up for another 12 months

You've jinxed it now. You know that, right?... :colbert:

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Well assuming a 6 week campaign, and that they'll get it to line up with local elections. we'll find out 3rd week of march.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
In a sane world they'd get off at the nearest stop. My only slight reservation about that: Whether there's someone in the Conservative shark tank who's pig headed enough to think they can save this mess and make it worth spilling blood before the election. It'd be incredibly dumb, and there's nobody worth vouching for, but that never stopped our politicians.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

my dear aunt who stood in as my grandparent has been in hospital since the very start of the month and while not surprising, it's shown me first-hand how broken health and social care is NI

This whole post is so sad to read and I'm sorry things have gotten this bad.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

ThomasPaine posted:

I've been playing an FMV game called Not For Broadcast recently which I thoroughly recommend for politics flavoured stupidity. It's completely ridiculous and over the top but you get to be a propaganda guy for some momentum-like group as they form a government, which is a nice bit of fantasy indulgence. It really shouldn't work but while the theatre kid energy coming off the whole thing is insane the actors are genuinely extremely good for the most part and parts of it had me belly laughing to an extent I never expected, and they pepper in some actually quite touching + nuanced bits as well. 10/10.
Yeah its great. I know Paul, the guy who played Jeremy the anchor. It was a right blast to film although lockdown made it very chaotic

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skeletome posted:

Totally fair! Sorry if I sounded snappy!
No worries :) funnily enough the reason I was scrolling through my list of good LGBTQ accounts was because I was looking for a source for where I saw

Guavanaut posted:

Diane Abbott getting suspended for her letter, whereas Rosie Duffield did not for going on GBNews to do Holocaust revisionism

Flux Wildly posted:

Missed that about Duffield but depressingly on-brand.

Be interesting to see who they parachute into Hackney
and ended up getting engrossed in "stupidest poo poo homophobes and transphobes said this week (never ending playlist)", then later by complete coincidence I found where I heard it from on a random tab from a Labour Club.

I suppose it's good in the sense that several Labour Clubs are condemning it, and bad in the sense that it's essentially remaining members and pissing into the whirlwind with the current leadership.

(In the same way, I also found a tab where it's good that the Sun are pissy that Sunak is giving up on the Bibby Barges, and bad that they're now apparently ranking Stephen Kinnock as the sensible solution, while mentioning him as 'the opposition' rather than 'Labour' which is a pretty good sign they're on side and he wants to be worse'more effective'.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If anyone knows about effective political moves it's the loving Kinnocks. They exist to poo poo in the party's slippers and then gently caress off into the night.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

smellmycheese posted:

They can’t keep this wank up for another 12 months

electoral gooning

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

They're using her for a spare part, haven't they?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Benign prostate condition: he tried some of this "pegging" he heard his boy endorsing and got some crown jewels stuck up the jacksie.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

They're using her for a spare part, haven't they?

And yet the enlarged fingers remain untouched

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Skeletome posted:

Like I get that it's funny, but also I feel like I'd like to see less examples of transwomen getting harassed by randos on social media in the thread

Agree, there's no ill intent on the OP here but let these loving randos on twitter and poo poo who post awful poo poo that normally gets seen by one person scream into a void instead of indirectly platforming it by saying "look at this idiot" and accidentally giving them a bigger audience than they'd usually have.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Oh I put my foot in it.

I was at work and made a comment about the God Squad in the context of something an electrician had said about going to work with a charity over in Africa years ago (he had said they were all 'let's hold hands for Jesus' types And he was like "hey I'm here as a sparkie not as the God Squad"). (The comment by me wasn't out of the blue but part of a discussion we were having about volunteers and whether or to what extent they were tools of imperialist colonization).

My line manager informed me today that the new part-time person in the office (who was present when I made the remark) is "very religious". At the time after I had said it, I thought I should have kept my gob shut. Anyway, line manager said 'don't worry about and don't say anything, but just a head's up'.

(And further apologies to any ITT who may have strong religious beliefs that I have just stamped all over.)

KIng Charles image Fuctifino posted above:

I honestly read that as 'public enlargements' and did a double take.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

And yet the enlarged fingers remain untouched

They mave been the benign condition

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

KIng Charles image Fuctifino posted above:

Charles is a big proponent of digital expansion.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1747652593029918966

"You can ignore the law. It's fine. Just tell them you are simply following orders. That always works!"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lol hope prince charles dies before they even put him on the money.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

if it was pubic enlargements hopefully he goes to that French doctor who keeps killing billionaires with penis enlargement surgery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Or whatever clinic it is that makes people's legs longer but keeps them from going out in public for months and leaves them in significant pain.