Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I think you'll all forgive me if I am a little bit skeptical considering it's the loving chargers

Even I'll admit the smoke looks like it's pointing our way though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

You need two minority interviews, in person.

When did this change?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

wandler20 posted:

When did this change?

https://operations.nfl.com/inside-football-ops/inclusion/the-rooney-rule/

quote:

In recent years, the Workplace Diversity Committee has proposed additional changes to strengthen the Rooney Rule, including:

Clubs must interview at least two diverse candidates from the Career Development Advisory Panel list, or a diverse candidate not currently employed by the club.
Clubs must conduct an in-person interview with at least one external minority candidate for any GM or head coaching interview.
Clubs must continue to consider multiple diverse candidates.
Clubs must maintain complete records and provide them to the league upon the Commissioner’s request.
If the final decision maker is involved from the beginning of the hiring process, they must be involved through the conclusion of the process.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

a neat cape posted:

You need two minority interviews, in person.

Don’t worry, they interviewed the landscaping crew. It all checks out.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

a neat cape posted:

They literally haven't fulfilled the Rooney rule yet

Wilks and Frazier

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Canned Sunshine posted:

Wilks and Frazier

Wilks was virtual as far as I know

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

The wording of this makes it seem like you need to interview either two people from the NFL's list OR one person from outside the club, so Frazier alone would clear the way for them to make a hire? I think?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a neat cape posted:

Only one needs to be in person

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

a neat cape posted:

Yeah but only one has to be in person

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I'm an idiot, then

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a neat cape posted:

I'm an idiot, then

First thing you've been right about itt!

jk love you

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Pulling real hard for Belichick to Cowboys to keep him away from Atlanta

thinking about how utterly loathsome a Belichick-coached Cowboys team would be

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

solarjetman posted:

thinking about how utterly loathsome a Belichick-coached Cowboys team would be

Honestly it'd be perfect

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

The337th posted:

Honestly it'd be perfect

Just going full fans filling the ring with trash Hulk Hogan forming the NWO.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I wonder what coaching interviews are actually like

Like what are the teams asking of the coach candidate. Where do you see yourself in 5 seasons? What do you think are your biggest weaknesses?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Well now I'm confused again

https://twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/1744757931663331644

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I have been interviewed by the Chargers for head coach.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

You cannot conduct external interviews that satisfy the Rooney Rule until next week. Harbaugh will probably be the Chargers HC but it can’t happen until then.

Also:
https://twitter.com/josinaanderson/status/1747574587011780721?s=46

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hm. A minor one but gut said something was brewing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Diva Cupcake posted:

You cannot conduct external interviews that satisfy the Rooney Rule until next week. Harbaugh will probably be the Chargers HC but it can’t happen until then.

Also:

Stump Mitchell from Space Mutiny?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Also:

Wasn't the firing of Van Pelt the first (or, well, second, after the drafting of Love) thing to really get Rodgers pissed with the Green Bay front office?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Seems weird for an offense that had as many injuries as they did? I guess the other option is they are hoping for someone to fix the rapist.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Didn't the Raiders just straight up ignore the Rooney Rule when they hired Gruden and faced zero consequences

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeCrotch posted:

Didn't the Raiders just straight up ignore the Rooney Rule when they hired Gruden and faced zero consequences

It was really hosed up. They interviewed Bobby Johnson, who was their tight ends coach, as well as Tee Martin, and then Mark Davis got everyone in hot water at the hiring announcement press conference when he said that Gruden had been his one and only real candidate ever since he took over the team. The NFL then just shrugged and said, "Eh, they 'interviewed' two minorities, so they're in compliance."

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think the Raiders are the reason they changed it to needing to interview external candidates instead of like your own TE coach or whatever.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Not sure why Browns are cleaning house the offensive side of the ball. Not much you can do when your QB1, RB1, and multiple WRs go down throughout the season.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

Just says you can't interview currently employed coaches until then, so Frazier should still count as a black, external candidate who is currently unemployed by a team. If they interviewed like Caldwell or something they'd be ok.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Febreeze posted:

I wonder what coaching interviews are actually like

Like what are the teams asking of the coach candidate. Where do you see yourself in 5 seasons? What do you think are your biggest weaknesses?

Randy Mueller said it's a mixed bag. They wanna hear what the coach's vision would be for the team over the next couple of years. Some teams will actually give a series of specific game situations and ask how they would handle each one - as the coach's most important job is to you know, actually coach on game day.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Diva Cupcake posted:

Also:

I don't make a habit of watching the Browns every week (because, ewww) but aren't running back and TE the strengths of their offense outside of Amari Cooper?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Bumhead posted:

I don't make a habit of watching the Browns every week (because, ewww) but aren't running back and TE the strengths of their offense outside of Amari Cooper?

Yeah, Flacco memes aside the only reason they made the playoffs this year was because of their running game and Njoku being a beast. Feels like ownership freaking out and demanding heads roll even though Haslam is the one most at fault for the current sitch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bumhead posted:

Ford was… ok, not great. Ups and downs. Ripped off a few long runs, but got bottled up for -2 to 2 yards a lot. He did have 4.0 YPC though, so I don’t think he was bad at all. Just hard when you’re filling in the shoes of Chubb. Kareem Hunt is basically just a third down back, with maybe a couple 5-6 yard goal line plays.

Njoku is basically the only TE doing anything. Harrison Bryant had 13 receptions for 81 yards on the season. I don’t even know who the other TEs on the roster are off the top of my head.

These moves surprised me at first, but I guess it makes sense. The offense with Watson really never looked fluid as it did with Flacco. I think there was a single game this season where I watched a Watson game and thought “yes, the offense looked really good.”

The weird thing is Stefanski is adamant on play calling. What OC wants to come here and not call plays? Puzzling moves (typical Browns), but I guess I can do some mental gymnastics and see why they were made?

https://x.com/NickPedone12/status/1747629197181247937?s=20

At the end of the day, Andrew Berry and Stefanski’s asses are on the line for Watson. And since he hasn’t looked good at all, minus one game (mayyyyyyybe 2), I can see why he loaded up the catapult. Preservation of self since they are absolutely stuck tied to Watson for 3 more years with no way out.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 17, 2024

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Some teams will actually give a series of specific game situations and ask how they would handle each one - as the coach's most important job is to you know, actually coach on game day.

I will always argue this the the coach's least important job and one they should hand off to good assistants. Be instructed to throw that challenge flag or call that time out or go for it or kick, your real work is done during the week getting the game plan together.

Adjustments in game when the other team messes up your BS in one way or another should fall mostly on the coordinators. In theory at least.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://x.com/BrandonGowton/status/1747640267132326099?s=20

We'll at least have an idea by the end of today where the Eagles are going

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Those are all fair statements about the Browns offense. But is changing position coaches really going to make your backup RBs and TEs into above average starters? Those dudes were all late draft picks and cheap free agents for a reason. I’d have been thrilled to make the playoffs with the B squad, how many teams manage that after losing both their QB and RB? But Haslam gonna Haslam.

Also they lost to the Texans mostly because their top defense got poo poo on and Flacco returned to earth. Not sure how a new TE coach addresses that.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grittybeard posted:

I will always argue this the the coach's least important job and one they should hand off to good assistants. Be instructed to throw that challenge flag or call that time out or go for it or kick, your real work is done during the week getting the game plan together.

Adjustments in game when the other team messes up your BS in one way or another should fall mostly on the coordinators. In theory at least.

I think it's more along the lines of "there's five minutes left in the game you have a one point lead, what's your strategy?"

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
When interviewing offensive candidates for the Bears I would simply play tape of Bears offensive series and say: “how can you make this look like NFL football?”

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Timby posted:

Wasn't the firing of Van Pelt the first (or, well, second, after the drafting of Love) thing to really get Rodgers pissed with the Green Bay front office?

Van Pelt wasn't fired, his contract expired in 2018 and he wanted to move on, apparently notifying McCarthy of this back in 2016. Rodgers said he wasn't consulted.

Love wasn't drafted until 2020.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Docjowles posted:

Those are all fair statements about the Browns offense. But is changing position coaches really going to make your backup RBs and TEs into above average starters? Those dudes were all late draft picks and cheap free agents for a reason. I’d have been thrilled to make the playoffs with the B squad, how many teams manage that after losing both their QB and RB? But Haslam gonna Haslam.

Also they lost to the Texans mostly because their top defense got poo poo on and Flacco returned to earth. Not sure how a new TE coach addresses that.

Maybe Stub and the TE guy wanted out to follow AVP?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ford was… ok, not great. Ups and downs. Ripped off a few long runs, but got bottled up for -2 to 2 yards a lot. He did have 4.0 YPC though, so I don’t think he was bad at all.

There was a really in depth analysis of the running game here a few years back, and one its summaries/conclusions was that results like that are pretty much bog standard NFL stats for an RB. Nothing to indict over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Professor Funk posted:

Hire Harbaugh, hire Roman, trade for Fields, profit. Seems easy enough. That team would run the living gently caress out of the ball.

and we'd get a lot more mentions on national sports radio (for good or ill)

Rich Eisen would buy a second home in Flowery Branch Buckhead