Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Serephina posted:

Whelp, nevermind that then! Thanks for the advice.

Man, Steam is packed with half-finished RTSs, but like nothing complete and positively reviewed. Really seems like a struggling genre, shame we can't get a renaissance like "boomer-shooters" did.

I know this isn’t a new or particularly hot take, but EA really could fill a gap here.

Whether or not we ever get an indie renaissance, the C&C + Red Alert remaster stands right up there with the best preservation efforts for the big PC shooter classics. It would be such an enormous shame if we don’t get more of that. Tiberium Sun and Red Alert 2 just seems like such a slam dunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Holding out hope so much for RA2 and YR, the Tiberian series I can take or leave. I actually just bought the C&C remaster and... I am not loving it. It's an incredible job as a remaster, but the games, especially the first one, show their age so so much. I'll say this though, WW got a lot better at making campaigns over the year it took them to release RA. It's considerably LESS bullshit. Hell some of the missions are actually fun! Aftermath is loving awesome, though. Monster tank madness, Absolute Madness, Time Flies, Situation Critical, all good levels. It's better than Counterstrike which is in turn better than vanilla RA and all stomp the poo poo out of C&C (not calling it tiberian dawn, don't care). What a frustrating game. I am straight up not having a good time. You can't even attribute it solely to age, Warcraft 2 came out the very same year 2 and a half months later and while it's hard in the way old games are, it's still fun to play and your units actually listen to you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hmmm yea some of the older missions where very un-fun. I think Tiberian Sun could use a remake but honestly RA2 still holds up fine I thought? But on the topic of single player missions/campaigns, you're all absolutely right, it's an undervalued part of the genre. RA3's expo and SC2's Wings of Liberty are brilliant, and esports or multiplayer balance never came into it. Meanwhile Planetary Anniliation was panned by the TA fans, but honestly I'd never know or care as it had NO SINGLE PLAYER MISSIONS AT ALL, so to me it seemed more like some sort of proof-of-concept rather than an actual game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I mean the bigger reason I want RA2 is to reinvigorate the community. They really shot themselves in the foot in the pre-streaming era by not having replays and it definitely hobbled their longevity. I've actually played a few yuri's revenge games on CnCnet and play a skirmish map against every few months, it's good fun. All around infantry are just way more important, even if just for garrisoning buildings at chokepoints. Love the neutral buildings so much, can't think of anything earlier where they were as important

Like don't think I have some bias against the franchise because of my last post, one of the first things I installed on this comp when it was new was The First Decade

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can you even legitimately get RA2 and Yuri's Revenge nowadays, or just through :files:?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Idk how legit CNCnet is lol. I assume "not very" but idgaf, I have multiple physical copies that I guess just don't work on modern OS? It's multiplayer (or skirmish) only though, no single player which is a shame because man RA2 had a banging campaign

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

Throwback shooters tend to have really good campaigns while a lot of rts games seem to be eschewing it for some reason in order to focus on ESPORTS which is a huge, huge mistake. I think every single competitively popular RTS has really well received single player. The Starcrafts, WC3, AoE, etc. It's a great way to build up an audience who're even interested in multiplayer in the first place

Watched a video awhile ago about this and they said something like 3/4s of RTS players never touch multiplayer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Watched a video awhile ago about this and they said something like 3/4s of RTS players never touch multiplayer.

This is pretty much most genres though. In fact I think something astonishing like 90% of mortal kombat buyers will play less than 10 online matches

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Milo and POTUS posted:

Idk how legit CNCnet is lol. I assume "not very" but idgaf, I have multiple physical copies that I guess just don't work on modern OS? It's multiplayer (or skirmish) only though, no single player which is a shame because man RA2 had a banging campaign

Regular C&C, Tiberium Sun and Red Alert were released for free by EA back in the day:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/get-3-classic-command-conquer-games-for-free/

And the Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection (which was the follow up to The Last Decade IIRC) is available from EA still: https://www.ea.com/games/command-and-conquer

RA2 still works fine as far as I know. Last time I messed with it I used CnCNet's patcher/updater thing: https://cncnet.org/yuris-revenge

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I'm assuming we're using this thread to talk about the Retro-FPS revival also?

Pretty hyped for Tempest Rising - the two demos they released were pretty cool. I've always been more partial to the Westwood RTS formula vs the others, although I did enjoy a good amount of StarCraft back in the day.

AOE and those style of games never really clicked for me, although I did enjoy Rise of Nations just because it turned into quite a spectacle if you sat back and watched the AI.

E: I'm an idiot and actually meant "Retro RTS" instead of FPS

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 2, 2024

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm assuming we're using this thread to talk about the Retro-FPS revival also?

No. This one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Serephina posted:

Hmmm yea some of the older missions where very un-fun. I think Tiberian Sun could use a remake but honestly RA2 still holds up fine I thought? But on the topic of single player missions/campaigns, you're all absolutely right, it's an undervalued part of the genre. RA3's expo and SC2's Wings of Liberty are brilliant, and esports or multiplayer balance never came into it. Meanwhile Planetary Anniliation was panned by the TA fans, but honestly I'd never know or care as it had NO SINGLE PLAYER MISSIONS AT ALL, so to me it seemed more like some sort of proof-of-concept rather than an actual game.

Planetary Annihilation was pretty good but the base game pre-TITANS was just so limited. It really felt like there were maybe ten units that were actually worth building and all games felt like the starting and ending twenty minutes were exactly the same.

It's a shame how badly it went because there were a bunch of really cool ideas that worked well! The whole timeline system was basically an in-game replay system tailor-made for broadcasts, and setting up the Annihilaser to explode planets was just the coolest poo poo if you ignored how you could just kill the enemy commander for half the effort with units.

Hopefully PA2 or whatever they just kickstarted has an actual campaign.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Woops, I'm an idiot and actually meant Retro-RTS, not FPS!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Googled the CnCnet thingie, was delighted to see Tiberian sun for free, gave it a whirl. Painless to install, but oof does it need a remaster. Lotsa UI scaling stuff, in addition to allll the rough edges of ye olde days. Dumb units, pixel hunting the last enemy unit to win, etc etc. Also I need to restart my campaign on normal difficulty apparently, big slice of humble pie there.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pretty hyped for Tempest Rising - the two demos they released were pretty cool. I've always been more partial to the Westwood RTS formula vs the others, although I did enjoy a good amount of StarCraft back in the day.

AOE and those style of games never really clicked for me, although I did enjoy Rise of Nations just because it turned into quite a spectacle if you sat back and watched the AI.
In a weird twist of irony, it turns out RTS's are very system intensive? The upcoming ones have eye-boggling sys reqs, while many old ones don't play nice in WINE/proton and so I can't even get Age of Empires 2 to work.

Speaking of newer stuff, what's everyone opinions of Grey Goo?
Personally, I kinda appreciated it for trying something so strongly asymmetrical, but the units felt nearsighted and blobby and the campaign missions where merely functional. I've heard some very condemnation of it, which was puzzling as it's was merely 'eh' at worst I thought.

---

edit: Oh my god, tempest rising actually runs on a Geforce960, unbelievable. They're also stealing C&C's lunch, and I'm all for it.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 7, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Serephina posted:

Googled the CnCnet thingie, was delighted to see Tiberian sun for free, gave it a whirl. Painless to install, but oof does it need a remaster. Lotsa UI scaling stuff, in addition to allll the rough edges of ye olde days. Dumb units, pixel hunting the last enemy unit to win, etc etc. Also I need to restart my campaign on normal difficulty apparently, big slice of humble pie there.

Oh god I've been whining about the C&C remaster elsewhere and probably here too. Lord almighty they're so dumb. And while the remaster looks great, it seemed to make less difference than you'd think. I assume you got the single player to work? I wanna play RA2 and YR so bad. God those games are good and probably low key innovative. I think RA2 predated the WC3 neutral buildings thing by at least a couple years or at least 18 months probably.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Serephina posted:

Speaking of newer stuff, what's everyone opinions of Grey Goo?
Personally, I kinda appreciated it for trying something so strongly asymmetrical, but the units felt nearsighted and blobby and the campaign missions where merely functional. I've heard some very condemnation of it, which was puzzling as it's was merely 'eh' at worst I thought.
I think it's totally solid and one of the last RTS games with high production values, but yeah, other than some of the faction design, not the most memorable. I thought the campaign was decent enough, at least I can't remember anything egregious about it. It was also cool of them to release a brand new faction for free, even though some aspects about it felt a little unfinished (I think it used the Goo's voiceset or UI or something) and the mini campaign it came with was obviously supposed to be the developers' greatly-truncated plans for a sequel.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
https://twitter.com/raul_volp/status/1747251827542757419

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Why isn't Rise of Legends available anywhere (legally :pirate:)?

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Randalor posted:

Why isn't Rise of Legends available anywhere (legally :pirate:)?

The company that made it went bankrupt and actioned off its assets and ips but nobody bought rise of legends ip so its in legal limbo.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

AParadox posted:

The company that made it went bankrupt and actioned off its assets and ips but nobody bought rise of legends ip so its in legal limbo.

Microsoft (its original publisher) snatched up the Rise of Nations IP in the THQ auction. RoL is part of it.

They won't re-release it, because re-releasing a product that megabombed in its launch is inconceivable to the MS mind.

In the Designer's Notes podcast, Brian Reynolds have practically confirmed (never stated 100% upfront, but the meaning is clear if you know about game industry conventions) that Microsoft signed a multi-game publishing deal with BHG for the RoN series ("developer shall deliver N games in the franchise for Microsoft"), and the RoL bomb caused MS to terminated the deal, killing Rise of Nations 2 (which was to be the next game in the deal and has a few concept mockup renders, but hadn't started preproduction). You can feel the impact of the 2006 cancelation on him resonating from the podcast recorded a decade later.

RoL bombed so hard, that in the same month it launched and 2 days before it released in Europe, a mysterious poster went to a forum and dumped a whole lot of RoL lore and future dev dreams, with the thinnest disguise of a fan post.

From its abruptly self-congratulatory mention of Alpha Centauri's energy credits, one has to assume the poster is Reynolds himself, who already saw the writing on the wall, and needed to get these thoughts off his chest.

The whole reason AoE received the resurrection song and dance is because the series remains one of Microsoft's most popular franchises, and proved to have built-in loyal communities ready for updated versions. There are a dozen Microsoft PC games that also used to be best sellers and haven't seen a re-release, and you'd think the management would agree to them more easily than RoL.

cuc fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 24, 2024

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Huh, I didn't know it bombed. I played it when it came bundled with my dad's new computer and I really liked it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

where the hell is Seven Kingdoms 1 & 2

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
It's also extremely "darkest timeline" that the store pages for Kohan series are still up on Steam, but they can't be bought ever since TimeGate went bankrupt.

Hard to not imagine that TimeGate taking the fall for Gearbox's Aliens: Colonial Marines fraud had a part in their death. The two events happened too closely.

A majority of games in this pixel art are still digitally available. The only absences are those based on old LotR and Dune licenses, RoL, and Kohan.

verbal enema posted:

where the hell is Seven Kingdoms 1 & 2
where is Conquest: Frontier Wars, Populous: The Beginning, Tzar: The Burden of the Crown...

cuc fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 17, 2024

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

cuc posted:

Microsoft (its original publisher) snatched up the Rise of Nations IP in the THQ auction. RoL is part of it.

They won't re-release it, because re-releasing a product that megabombed in its launch is inconceivable to the MS mind.

In the Designer's Notes podcast, Brian Reynolds have practically confirmed (never stated 100% upfront, but the meaning is clear if you know about game industry conventions) that Microsoft signed a multi-game publishing deal with BHG for the RoN series, and the RoL bomb caused MS to terminated the deal, killing Rise of Nations 2 (which was to be the next game in the deal and has a few concept mockup renders, but hadn't started preproduction). You can feel the impact of the 2006 cancelation on him resonating from the podcast recorded a decade later.

RoL bombed so hard, that in the same month it launched and 2 days before it released in Europe, a mysterious poster went to a forum and dumped a whole lot of RoL lore and future dev dreams, with the thinnest disguise of a fan post.

From its abruptly self-congratulatory mention of Alpha Centauri's energy credits, one has to assume the poster is Reynolds himself, who already saw the writing on the wall, and needed to get these thoughts off his chest.

The whole reason AoE received the resurrection song and dance is because the series remains one of Microsoft's most popular franchises, and proved to have built-in loyal communities ready for updated versions. There are a dozen Microsoft PC games that also used to be best sellers and haven't seen a re-release, and you'd think the management would agree to them more easily than RoL.

Microsoft didn't get rise of nations rights after THQ crash, 38 Studios did by acquiring big huge games, who themselves became partly owned by the state of Rhode Island, went bankrupt and the state auctioned their assets off individually. From what I've heard microsoft only picked Rise of nations, THQ nordic got kingdoms of Amalur at some point and Big Huge Games was acquired by Nexon.

So rise of legends ip could be in hands of microsoft, nexon or state of rhode island, the later most likely.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
My bad for messing up the THQ & 38 Studios timeline. The two boom-burst-auction cycles involving BHG may have run together in my head a bit.

Digging into the matter (including the forgotten Rise of Nations: Tactics), the most trustable reports should be from Business Wire and AP.

AP posted:

Land said the two lots that sold at auction were the "Rise of Nations" and "Rise of Legends" games and associated intellectual property, and the trademark for Big Huge Games

Here you can see the RoN series was sold together as one property. Microsoft definitely has RoL now.

cuc fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 17, 2024

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My brother and I each bought a copy of Rise of Legends the day it came out because we played an ungodly amount of Rise of Nations with our pals. We liked it well enough and it was an interesting game but I can see how it'd do a lot worse than Rise of Nations.

cuc posted:

Digging into the matter (including the forgotten Rise of Nations: Tactics)

No idea this existed and I'm bummed about the demise of Big Huge all over again.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 17, 2024

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Groovelord Neato posted:

My brother and I each bought a copy of Rise of Legends the day it came out because we played an ungodly amount of Rise of Nations with our pals. We liked it well enough and it was an interesting game but I can see how it'd do a lot worse than Rise of Nations.

No idea this existed and I'm bummed about the demise of Big Huge all over again.

Same, I bought a physical boxed copy of Rise of Legends on release day but it never became a multiplayer favorite like Rise of Nations was permanently amongst my friends.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

Same, I bought a physical boxed copy of Rise of Legends on release day but it never became a multiplayer favorite like Rise of Nations was permanently amongst my friends.

My favorite gaming memory was doing an FFA with two friends, eliminating one in a brutal late game where we got the Armageddon Clock to 1 before me and the guy I ended up eliminating researched Missile Shield, and then staging my army to invade my other friend when he typed "see you in hell bitches" and nuked himself.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Groovelord Neato posted:

My favorite gaming memory was doing an FFA with two friends, eliminating one in a brutal late game where we got the Armageddon Clock to 1 before me and the guy I ended up eliminating researched Missile Shield, and then staging my army to invade my other friend when he typed "see you in hell bitches" and nuked himself.

Ah yes, Belka.

So I've been playing rts's lately as the craving struck hard and buried deep.
Mental Omega is what it is and I really like it.
Zero-K is so loving good.
I made it to establishing my barracks in Grey Goo, saw it had a 4 unit build limit (not pop-cap) and went "ha ha no gently caress right off."
Deserts of Kharak survived past its tutorial level unlike grey goo, need to sink more time into this as the vibe is great.
Star Wars Forces of Corruption is wildly imbalanced so it was only good for a drive through on tyber zaan's wild pirate ride. Its modding scene is incredible but suffers from "ow my brain" when I try to get into it.
Planetary Annihilation still makes me feel weird when I look at it long enough and it leaves me wondering why I'm not playing Zero-k.
They Are Billions is still they are billions and feels just jank enough to be unsatisfying and its lack of saving mid-mission in the campaign can gently caress right off.
Age of Darkness seems to be doing TAB's job better and has saves on the lower difficulties, now that's doing it right.
8-bit Invaders / the other ones is still old westwood RTS jank and seperately feels unsatisfying for some reason I've never put my finger on. Hoping 9bit will be good but i doubt it.
DUNC Spice Wars doesn't count, shut up. But its good and in its own lane and not moisturizing since water is rare what the gently caress are you doing.

I'm welcome to any suggestions btw. While I didn't replay them yet (and don't plan on), I'm aware of Homeworld, Dawn of War & Company of Heroes. My blizzard account is long since nuked so Starcraft & Warcraft are off the table. Upcoming games that I'm aware of is Homeworld 3, Tempest Rising, Stormgate & DORF.

I've been suggested to revisit age of empires, especially since 2 got the remaster and I've also never played 4.
Halo Wars 1&2 I don't own but I know I played 1 and thought it was charming to be on the console. I'll probably get it on the pc one day.
Sins of a Solar Empire 1 I've played a ton of. I wonder if I should go and play it modded? As for SoaSE2 I don't own it yet.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Play Seven Kingdoms and it's expansion Ancient Adversaries

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sins 1 definitely has a bunch of mods to check out. Waiting for Sins 2 to come to Steam/leave EA before I look at it.

Have you played the C&C remake? It's quality stuff. Oh, also Warzone 2100 has been free on Steam for ages, and one of the original devs is remastering Battle Realms, which is an interesting, underrated RTS from the early aughts.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 20, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, Starship Troopers: Terran Command is good, captures the movie's tone pretty well, too.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Mordja posted:

Sins 1 definitely has a bunch of mods to check out. Waiting for Sins 2 to come to Steam/leave EA before I look at it.

Have you played the C&C remake? It's quality stuff. Oh, also Warzone 2100 has been free on Steam for ages, and one of the original devs is remastering Battle Realms, which is an interesting, underrated RTS from the early aughts.

for wz2100 better to download off the project website, the steam version is/was just some random unaffiliated guy uploading old versions for... personal clout? praise? from people who don't know otherwise

anyway, I agree with all your recs here. if anyone here hasn't checked out SoaSE's mod scene, do it, there's several that are insanely high effort and more polished than official releases in their franchises have been

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Play Myth

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Playing the Red Alert allied campaign at the moment and Mission 8b (protecting the Chronosohere) is absolutely kicking my rear end.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

No. Its weird. Plus I watched Mandalore's videos on the franchise. What a fuckin' trip.

verbal enema posted:

Play Seven Kingdoms and it's expansion Ancient Adversaries

Huh. Never heard of this. Interesting?

Mordja posted:

Assessor of Maat posted:

for wz2100 better to download off the project website, the steam version is/was just some random unaffiliated guy uploading old versions for... personal clout? praise? from people who don't know otherwise

anyway, I agree with all your recs here. if anyone here hasn't checked out SoaSE's mod scene, do it, there's several that are insanely high effort and more polished than official releases in their franchises have been

Never heard of Battle Realms!

Played the C&C remake, should have noted that! I kinda feel like trying Kane's Wrath again but didn't have a stable time of it last time I tried on a win10 system. As for the rest of C&C I'm mostly good. MO filled that burning itch.

Defo want to try out more SoaSE mods. Datonkallendor wanted to peek at https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-armada-3 with me. Might give that a spin.

As for warzone, I really should try it! Its wrapped up in my head alongside Earth 2150 as I think I had demo's for both as a kid and never got the full games of either. And speaking of, How IS Earth 2150 or that franchise as a whole?

Mordja posted:

Oh, Starship Troopers: Terran Command is good, captures the movie's tone pretty well, too.

I have been eyeing it but I'm not invested in the franchise and money's not exactly something I can be flippant about so... hmm...

Edit:

Bumhead posted:

Playing the Red Alert allied campaign at the moment and Mission 8b (protecting the Chronosohere) is absolutely kicking my rear end.

Oh that loving mission. Nothing beats having a v2 launcher somehow dance past your frontline and lob a rocket at it. Very funny!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 20, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm not a Star Trek guy, but the two big ST mods for Sins are definitely the best things on that engine. I believe a lot of teams are planning to convert to Sins 2 when it's out. They're kind of C&C Genrals clones, but Act of War and Act of Aggression are pretty good.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Thyrork posted:

No. Its weird. Plus I watched Mandalore's videos on the franchise. What a fuckin' trip.

Huh. Never heard of this. Interesting?

!

Myth rules ya bum but yeah SK is quite interesting. Trade and diplomacy are huge in it with caravans and routes and production and manufacturing and espionage and invoking gods

Game rules

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I had an issue where Sins kept randomly crashing on me and I could never figure out why. Is it a case of it not liking Windows 10/11 and is there any fan patches that may address that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sins = SoaSE, right? It's worked fine through WINE for years and years, so it's very much not a 'doesn't like windows' issue. Great game, the worst thing I can say about it is that they where a little too optimistic with the skirmish difficutly settings, there's like five levels above normal and the game needs to be cheesed at level 2 or 3.

I can't recall any production issues in Grey Goo, units seemed to flow out just fine iirc. My problem with it was the 'ball of units' kinda walked around myopically which felt boring. Got all the way to the final mission which was suitably challenging, possibly too much for me lol.

Deserts of Kharak is very strong and I woulda liked the devs to have done their own thing instead of being bolted onto the Homeworld IP. Game's good for the first 3/4ths, then for some braindead reason 'artillery' and 'battlecruiser' units show up, maybe out of some mistaken feeling of obligation, ruining the nuanced unit balance.

Talke to me more about DUNC please, I've not heard of it until just now. Does it scratch the itch? I've been playing Dawn of War1 recently which certainly scratches it, so are they similar in a rts-hybrid sort of way?