Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Warbird posted:

It would be nice if our players stopped leaving.

Counterpoint: it’s actually really funny

EDIT: snipe so bad they callin’ it Isaiah Bond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Warbird posted:

I disagree

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
drat we had a 4-star DL just not show up and get released from his NLI. Losing Bo Davis continues to suck.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

Also, his Michigan buyout apparently drops in mid-February, so it'll still be weeks of this stuff. It appears that his price to return to Michigan is basically Show Cause protection, which Michigan may not be able to legally meet because lol ncaa

There was also some post about him wanting to have any firing for cause be determined by a panel of 3 people instead of the AD. If its true it’s such a high ask I can only imagine he’s out the door and all of this is window dressing

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Thermos H Christ posted:

drat we had a 4-star DL just not show up and get released from his NLI. Losing Bo Davis continues to suck.

Pretty sure he ends up at LSU. If not them, Colorado.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/jeremyo_johnson/status/1747621061204615634?s=46

The transfers will continue until morale improves.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Adun posted:

There was also some post about him wanting to have any firing for cause be determined by a panel of 3 people instead of the AD. If its true it’s such a high ask I can only imagine he’s out the door and all of this is window dressing

If those reports are true either he's trying to poison pill the extension so he can say "Aww shucks, we just couldn't come to an agreement" as he walks out the door, or he's a big dummy for not just pushing for a giant statue of him in front of the Big House.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Cthulu Carl posted:

If those reports are true either he's trying to poison pill the extension so he can say "Aww shucks, we just couldn't come to an agreement" as he walks out the door, or he's a big dummy for not just pushing for a giant statue of him in front of the Big House.

From what I've gathered, a lot of this is weirdo Harbaughbrain. He wants to be wanted and wants respect, but not like normie brains think about wanting and respect. In his brain, that currently means getting paid the highest, even though he doesn't really need/want the money, and being insulated from any NCAA punishments. That's the rub - Michigan would happily pay him, but that punishment immunity stuff gets legally icky in a hurry.

Stuff like "I know the NCAA has it out for me, but how about if a show cause penalty comes in we simply do nothing?" Or sure the NCAA requires that I be fired or the program gets a gigantic punishment, but what if my contract specifically says we must tell the NCAA to pound sand? Michigan might not legally be able to do that stuff - but that appears to be Harbaugh's price.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Wow it’s like they were only at Alabama for the coach.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Wow it’s like they were only at Alabama for the coach.

Who would want to live in Tuscaloosa when you can live in Tallahassee?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if some other schools get brought in as a way to jack up the NIL offers, but it seems by all accounts that Georgia and Ohio State are the only two schools with a realistic chance of landing Downs.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

From what I've gathered, a lot of this is weirdo Harbaughbrain. He wants to be wanted and wants respect, but not like normie brains think about wanting and respect. In his brain, that currently means getting paid the highest, even though he doesn't really need/want the money, and being insulated from any NCAA punishments. That's the rub - Michigan would happily pay him, but that punishment immunity stuff gets legally icky in a hurry.

Stuff like "I know the NCAA has it out for me, but how about if a show cause penalty comes in we simply do nothing?" Or sure the NCAA requires that I be fired or the program gets a gigantic punishment, but what if my contract specifically says we must tell the NCAA to pound sand? Michigan might not legally be able to do that stuff - but that appears to be Harbaugh's price.

I heard it described as wanting to make sure he's paid at least one cent more than Ryan Day as a respect thing, because he's got the money already and doesn't really use it (the whole 'owning a racing team' era has come and gone long ago), but the reassurances on the NCAA issues is certainly an interesting one. I think there was also mention/suggestion that Michigan also wanted him to not openly flirt with NFL teams for at least a year?

as well the NCAA stuff gets weird because it's not laws, this isn't state or federal law, but bylaws or rules of an organization. and remember, the NCAA has already racked up that 0-9 decision in the Supreme Court. So who knows exactly what legal standing this all has.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

He negotiating in public with his public employer so that his potential private employers will have to counter that offer

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Why do these NFL teams keep announcing they've interviewed Harbaugh? Two NFL teams have interviewed him, so at least one of them is guaranteed to be turned down. It's like announcing to the school you asked a girl to prom and she's neither said yes nor no.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Komet posted:

Why do these NFL teams keep announcing they've interviewed Harbaugh? Two NFL teams have interviewed him, so at least one of them is guaranteed to be turned down. It's like announcing to the school you asked a girl to prom and she's neither said yes nor no.

I believe they either have to or are highly encouraged to cause it keeps the nfl/their team in the news cycle during the offseason

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm enjoying this.

https://twitter.com/Alabama_FN/status/1747628174320468101?t=zO9jG6w1qAAL7dXe_5dfWQ&s=19

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I didn't know saban, deboer and fisch had the same agent. All makes sense now.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am hydrated by the tears of ‘bama fans.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Who would want to live in Tuscaloosa when you can live in Tallahassee?

I’m not sure if you’re joking or not but Tallahassee is really just southern Alabama.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Warbird posted:

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaBullD0GE/status/1747291739658887256?t=OHcAQ7MrG31Uj32tszgMTw&s=19

I'd say he's going to Georgia.

Also, woof

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Warbird posted:

It would but idk what anyone, anywhere was expecting. Coach leaves and so does a chunk of the players they brought on because they have more ties with coaches at other programs they were originally looking at than with the new folks.

And that's before factoring in the coach that left being Nick Saban

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Boo, and I say this will all due respect, loving hoo.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

It would but idk what anyone, anywhere was expecting. Coach leaves and so does a chunk of the players they brought on because they have more ties with coaches at other programs they were originally looking at than with the new folks.

And that's before factoring in the coach that left being Nick Saban

Oh I’m not surprised and don’t blame them but it doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

All the folks laughing at the end of Bama hegemony are not considering how annoying the subsequent UGA will be if it continues unchecked.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

All the folks laughing at the end of Bama hegemony are not considering how annoying the subsequent UGA will be if it continues unchecked.

LSU will lead the gallant fight.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Warbird posted:

Oh I’m not surprised and don’t blame them but it doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it.

It definitely sucks, I just can't muster up...anything like that dumbass tweet about it lol. Situation is what is, and ultimately doesn't say much about anyone besides Nick Saban and the draw he was, especially for players on defense.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I’m not sure if you’re joking or not but Tallahassee is really just southern Alabama.

Definitely a joke, riffing off the folks recently arguing in earnest that locale matters much if at all on where coaches and players go

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

It definitely sucks, I just can't muster up...anything like that dumbass tweet about it lol. Situation is what is, and ultimately doesn't say much about anyone besides Nick Saban and the draw he was, especially for players on defense.

The dumbass tweets have a nugget of truth in there that isn't new but has become extremely apparent to the homers. I love that the kids are getting properly compensated and can more reasonably move schools, but I do wonder how long this can go on without regulation or it all just exploding. I'm not sure it's a solvable problem either as any attempt to reign things in will just have it go back to bag men and so on. "Ignorance" was bliss I suppose.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 17, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Feeling better about Oklahoma drawing Alabama in the "welcome to the SEC" schedule sweepstakes

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Warbird posted:

The dumbass tweets have a nugget of truth in there that isn't new but has become extremely apparent to the homers. I love that the kids are getting properly compensated and can more reasonably move schools, but I do wonder how long this can go on without regulation or it all just exploiting. I'm not sure it's a solvable problem either as any attempt to reign things in will just have it go back to bag men and so on. "Ignorance" was bliss I suppose.

The sport is firmly on a trajectory to ‘even more hosed than it currently is’ on a few fronts. Transfer portal windows, NIL wild west, and coaching - Bama just hired two G5 HCs as assistants. It’s a period of massive change and it’s going to be interesting to see where it ends up.

E: player agency is a good thing, my point is idk if it’s at a sustainable place atm

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Warbird posted:

The dumbass tweets have a nugget of truth in there that isn't new but has become extremely apparent to the homers. I love that the kids are getting properly compensated and can more reasonably move schools, but I do wonder how long this can go on without regulation or it all just exploiting. I'm not sure it's a solvable problem either as any attempt to reign things in will just have it go back to bag men and so on. "Ignorance" was bliss I suppose.

Oh yeah there's a lot of uncomfortable questions around it and I don't like that I can't continue being detached from that conversation lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

All this would’ve been avoided if the NCAA hadn’t held so tightly to fake amateurism. They made the kids scrap for any compensation whatsoever, lost badly, and now the floodgates are open.

There will be no roster stability until we get to some equilibrium with standardized compensation and employment contracts. It’s going to be hosed until then as the kids (and let’s face it, their families and agents) do everything they can to milk as much money out of the system as they can.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
As someone who had to watch something like 40 kids transfer out when the Pruitt stuff happened I can confidently say:

lol

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Is Jalen Milroe ready to throw for 3500 yards?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I completely forgot Pruitt existed lol

Warbird
May 23, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

All this would’ve been avoided if the NCAA hadn’t held so tightly to fake amateurism. They made the kids scrap for any compensation whatsoever, lost badly, and now the floodgates are open.

There will be no roster stability until we get to some equilibrium with standardized compensation and employment contracts. It’s going to be hosed until then as the kids (and let’s face it, their families and agents) do everything they can to milk as much money out of the system as they can.

It was a ""noble"" notion and, if it was enforceable or realistic in any real shape fashion or form, one worth sticking to imo (with better support for transferring and paying kids and so on of course). That said we live in the real world.

I have a good friend that was a started on LSU's O line back in the late aughts. Took a cheap shot from a Florida player, got concussed and that was pretty much that. Could have gone pro but that's life. He was lucky in that the school paid for his treatment and so on, but that's millions gone with nothing to show for it. Thankfully he is a good people person and was able to jones some of those football connections into a very well paid gig as a drug rep, but that isn't the case for a lot of these kids. I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make, but it would be nice if we stopped bleeding players I guess.

Speaking of, what's the situation over at Washington like with that? With the domino nonsense going around post Sabes we can't be the only ones in this situation.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Warbird posted:

It was a ""noble"" notion and, if it was enforceable or realistic in any real shape fashion or form, one worth sticking to imo. That said we live in the real world.

I have a good friend that was a started on LSU's O line back in the late aughts. Took a cheap shot from a Florida player, got concussed and that was pretty much that. Could have gone pro but that's life. He was lucky in that the school paid for his treatment and so on, but that's millions gone with nothing to show for it. Thankfully he is a good people person and was able to jones some of those football connections into a very well paid gig as a drug rep, but that isn't the case for a lot of these kids. I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make, but it would be nice if we stopped bleeding players I guess.

Speaking of, what's the situation over at Washington like with that? With the domino nonsense going around post Sabes we can't be the only ones in this situation.

Washington only has one player returning on their OLine.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That seems bad. They should take some of ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It’s going to be rough* for a certain contingent of college-aged and young adult Bama fans to find out that success isn’t their birthright.

*insanely funny