Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Grumpwagon posted:

A very reasonable question. In addition to the main reason I use it -- mapping routes -- it has Strava-light functionality, so I use it like how normal people use Strava to record rides/mileage so I have some idea how much I ride per month/year/etc.

As to why I use it for that instead of just Strava, well, the local bike federation puts their maps out on RWGPS, so I used that first, then started using it to map my own routes, then figured as long as I was mapping I could record rides. I pay for it and don't want to pay for 2 services. If I were starting today I'd probably just use Strava, but here I am.

Strava is free for basic stuff. I also do all ride editing, importing and perusal in ride with gps or komoot, but everything syncs from garmin up to Strava & everywhere else, I don’t really feel like I’m missing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

gamera009 posted:

This goddamned refurb/rebuild of an 80s Rockhopper comp is burning through my wallet. :smith:

i warned you about bikes bro!!!
i told you dog!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

wooger posted:

Strava is free for basic stuff. I also do all ride editing, importing and perusal in ride with gps or komoot, but everything syncs from garmin up to Strava & everywhere else, I don’t really feel like I’m missing anything.

Yeah, but (until now) Strava didn't add anything to my experience that I didn't already get from RWGPS.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Devastated to realize that the more expensive Rapha bibs are actually noticeably more comfortable than the cheaper ones on long rides.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, but (until now) Strava didn't add anything to my experience that I didn't already get from RWGPS.

I like when Strava tries to charge me to see my own data

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Your trainer ride distance will most likely not look any different on Strava; it’ll generally just accept what the file received says because there’s not much else to go on

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
I was perusing the police auction in my area and came across this bike . While it is probably too small for me, and the front wheel might be messed up (certainly doesn't have a disc) it has piqued my interest. I can't tell the brand, and I'm not sure if its a rattle can job on the back, but the components and zipp wheel sure are something. I was trying to figure it out myself, but I can't for the life of me remember what that type of rear triangle is called. Any help would be appreciated.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

i warned you about bikes bro!!!
i told you dog!

I didn’t believe bruv. :smith:

Now I def trust bruv. Belief!

Out $32 for a goddamned adjustable stop for the rear canti hanger.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

gamera009 posted:

I didn’t believe bruv. :smith:

Now I def trust bruv. Belief!

Out $32 for a goddamned adjustable stop for the rear canti hanger.

:bigwhat:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mr. Toodles posted:

I was perusing the police auction in my area and came across this bike . While it is probably too small for me, and the front wheel might be messed up (certainly doesn't have a disc) it has piqued my interest. I can't tell the brand, and I'm not sure if its a rattle can job on the back, but the components and zipp wheel sure are something. I was trying to figure it out myself, but I can't for the life of me remember what that type of rear triangle is called. Any help would be appreciated.

You linked to the album, not to the image

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Looks like spray paint at the back, and that's a wishbone stay I think?

The bike makes me sad though, it looks like a quite nice custom CX bike that's been stolen and done dirty.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Steve French posted:

Your trainer ride distance will most likely not look any different on Strava; it’ll generally just accept what the file received says because there’s not much else to go on

Trainerroad and all the other trainer apps use a physics model to compute give reasonable numbers for how far/fast you’ve gone based on power, Grumpwagon is sidestepping that and feeding something in parallel direct into a garmin head unit-> his other app, so may be wildly different, and also variable with other things than power.

There is no file, just what trainer road syncs to them.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

Trainerroad and all the other trainer apps use a physics model to compute give reasonable numbers for how far/fast you’ve gone based on power, Grumpwagon is sidestepping that and feeding something in parallel direct into a garmin head unit-> his other app, so may be wildly different, and also variable with other things than power.

TrainerRoad uses flywheel speed, so if you do a workout in 54x11 at 90rpm, you will rack up 35 miles in an hour.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TobinHatesYou posted:

TrainerRoad uses flywheel speed, so if you do a workout in 54x11 at 90rpm, you will rack up 35 miles in an hour.

Gonna goose my stats by telling it that I have a thirty‐six‐inch rear wheel.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TobinHatesYou posted:

Hmm, not consistent with their website.

trainerroad posted:

Does a speed sensor override Virtual Speed and Distance?

Nope! Only power data is used for Virtual Speed and Distance.
How does the Virtual Speed and Distance Calculation work?

Virtual Speed and Distance uses your workout’s power data, along with average aerodynamic and rolling resistance values, to estimate the speed at which you’d have ridden your workout on relatively flat terrain outdoors.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Heliosicle posted:

The bike makes me sad though, it looks like a quite nice custom CX bike that's been stolen and done dirty.

From a 2011 MTBR thread discussing their merits,

quote:

You guys are seriously smoking crack if you think that a wishbone stay has any advantage in reducing brake flex. It's just not true. In fact, they are typically worse. How can you all not see this? The ability of a triangulated stay configuration to support the loads of the system are far far superior.

Wishbones are just discusting junk. Simple enough.

I love bike forum discourse.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

wooger posted:

This sort of thing is why trainer mileage / speed shouldn’t be allowed on Strava and shouldn’t count towards any of the Strava challenges like festive 500.

who cares... sure, zwift's w/kg calculation results in generous km/hr averages, but it's not as if time on the trainer is not time spent riding

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

Hmm, not consistent with their website.

Virtual Speed/Distance is not enabled by default and you have to really dive into the UX to turn it on.

https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/7246322901019-How-to-Enable-Virtual-Speed-and-Distance-for-Strava

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Lex Neville posted:

who cares... sure, zwift's w/kg calculation results in generous km/hr averages, but it's not as if time on the trainer is not time spent riding

Drafting Coco’s group is worse than a real-world group ride or race. In a crit I can sit in the middle of the pack and do 29mph at 215W. With Coco on Tempus Fugit I’m doing 25mph at 175W.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
The skew is obviously pretty big, and because I ride my trainer a lot I personally go by time spent rather than distance when calculating yearly totals, weekly averages etc (and admittedly I only do workouts without drafting Yumi or Jacques or whomever to keep the numbers from going too crazy), but I feel like for most participants things like the festive 500 are primarily an incentive to ride more than they otherwise would during those 8 days. From that perspective, I don't see why the nature of those rides should matter. In fact, some who'd otherwise "only" ride for 6 or 8 hours in those 8 days might do 16 with Coco to achieve the festive 500, and I'd rather that than if they wouldn't have even gone for it if they had to ride in the real world. :words: but I like that trainer rides and pace partners help make such challenges a sort of adjustable feat. Others can make it a goal to do it all outdoors or even in one go, like dema, but it all "counts" imo

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Heliosicle posted:

Reminds me of something from Squid Bikes. Maybe an older version of this frame:

https://www.squidbikes.com/cdn/shop/products/ProductSquidcrossV5_09_920x.png

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The shifter cable going along the top tube is distinctive to say the least

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shifter cables across the top tube was pretty standard for CX bikes before internal routing. That housing is absurdly long tho

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Yeah, the whole bike looks like a spray.bike home job.
Note that the rear wheel is a Zipp 30 aluminum job, not a fancy carbon wheel.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Shifter cables across the top tube was pretty standard for CX bikes before internal routing. That housing is absurdly long tho

You will need a new front wheel, and probably a fork.

Looks like the crackhead put a QR wheel on the bike (notice the lack of brake rotor) and probably just crushed the QR on the thru -axel tabs.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I wonder how many of my own mechanical efforts have been called the work of a crack head by bike mechanics.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

wooger posted:

"what trainer road syncs to them" is a file

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Lex Neville posted:

From that perspective, I don't see why the nature of those rides should matter. In fact, some who'd otherwise "only" ride for 6 or 8 hours in those 8 days might do 16 with Coco to achieve the festive 500, and I'd rather that than if they wouldn't have even gone for it if they had to ride in the real world. :words: but I like that trainer rides and pace partners help make such challenges a sort of adjustable feat. Others can make it a goal to do it all outdoors or even in one go, like dema, but it all "counts" imo

It’s a challenge from a Northern European country with rain and generally poo poo cycling weather during the week it’s run, the whole point is to defy the elements and get out there in reality and do a hard thing.

Counting indoor rides at all is only a covid accommodation.

* it’s of course mainly a marketing exercise by an overpriced apparel brand, I don’t care much either way.

Steve French posted:

"what trainer road syncs to them" is a file

It’s calling APIs and sending data, but it’s not uploading a file that exists somewhere. It’s all an abstraction anyway, all I mean to get across is that there isn’t a gpx with the distance and speed saved in it at the end of a session as though it’s a real ride, it’s just something computed on the fly when syncing.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Virtual Speed/Distance is not enabled by default and you have to really dive into the UX to turn it on.

https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/7246322901019-How-to-Enable-Virtual-Speed-and-Distance-for-Strava

quote:

Will Virtual Speed Automatically be enabled in my TrainerRoad account?
If you’ve created your TrainerRoad account after July of 2022, Virtual Speed will automatically be enabled in your TrainerRoad account when you connect your Strava account to TrainerRoad.

We’re both right. Confusing situation, there are obviously valid reasons for people to want to keep syncing their inaccurate wildly over/under exaggerated made up distances to Strava. Right?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Salt Fish posted:

I wonder how many of my own mechanical efforts have been called the work of a crack head by bike mechanics.

Depends upon how classist they are. “Poor person used a bike for transportation and didn’t maintain it like a millionaire dentist? Must be a piece of poo poo crackhead!” :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Loucks posted:

Depends upon how classist they are. “Poor person used a bike for transportation and didn’t maintain it like a millionaire dentist? Must be a piece of poo poo crackhead!” :v:

I think on principle bike mechanics much prefer troubleshooting “crackhead jobs” than assembling and tuning an internet-bought bike out of a cardboard box for some jabroni too cheap to shop from them, like 2013 me

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

trilobite terror posted:

I think on principle bike mechanics much prefer troubleshooting “crackhead jobs” than assembling and tuning an internet-bought bike out of a cardboard box for some jabroni too cheap to shop from them, like 2013 me

I don't entirely blame them for that stance, I kind of feel like if you want to buy DTC then you should be able to turn your own wrench and do final assembly/tuning

On the other hand, labor money is labor money and that customer would hopefully come back for more if they aren't doing their own maintenance so idk

Bike shop culture can be weird

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Guinness posted:

I don't entirely blame them for that stance, I kind of feel like if you want to buy DTC then you should be able to turn your own wrench and do final assembly/tuning

On the other hand, labor money is labor money and that customer would hopefully come back for more if they aren't doing their own maintenance so idk

if they put all of the reflectors that came in the box on the bike, including the wheel ones, then they do not respect you

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

trilobite terror posted:

if they put all of the reflectors that came in the box on the bike, including the wheel ones, then they do not respect you

:hmmyes: it's a show of dominance

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

wooger posted:

It’s calling APIs and sending data, but it’s not uploading a file that exists somewhere. It’s all an abstraction anyway, all I mean to get across is that there isn’t a gpx with the distance and speed saved in it at the end of a session as though it’s a real ride, it’s just something computed on the fly when syncing.

It is calling APIs and sending data in the form of a file: any activity that makes it onto Strava with time-series data got there via a file, either FIT, GPX, or TCX. In TrainerRoad's case, it's TCX, with e.g. time, power, cadence, heart rate, speed, distance. Whether that exists stored somewhere in the form of a file on TrainerRoad's end or they generate it on the fly, I don't know and it's not terribly relevant to my point either, which is that Strava is generally not going to change the distance data it receives in a file from TrainerRoad, it's just going to honor what the file says.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my trainer is in the garage and sometimes i have the window open and can hear rain so that counts as being in the elements

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My bike shipped

I ended up going for the dynamo lighting because why not

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

trilobite terror posted:

Guinness posted:

Not exactly what you're talking about, but the two State bikes I bought were assembled by the LBS because if I didn't take it there to have them do it, I wouldn't get to activate the warranty on the frame. And that sucks, but I get why State does that, because in my decades on this planet, I've seen lots of stuff that was broken by people who were trying to assemble something that was objectively easy to put together. So, it's not always that someone can't turn a wrench. Sometimes, they just don't want to eat the cost of a manufacturer's defect.

Besides, I took it to that LBS in particular because they're the ones I bought my first big-boy bike from. If they sold steel-framed bikes, I'd have considered buying from the store directly.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I am an idiot when it comes to imgur and I have no idea why. Thank you!

Heliosicle posted:

Wishbone! That was bugging the hell out of me. I agree. Sometimes the bikes that pop up on here are such a bummer. Beat to poo poo walmart bikes with DUI bars are whatever, but one like this one and the ton of really nice mtn bikes up right now I feel bad for the original owner.

dema posted:

Reminds me of something from Squid Bikes. Maybe an older version of this frame:

https://www.squidbikes.com/cdn/shop/products/ProductSquidcrossV5_09_920x.png

That looks exactly the same. Great find and thank you very much.

bicievino posted:

Yeah, the whole bike looks like a spray.bike home job.
Note that the rear wheel is a Zipp 30 aluminum job, not a fancy carbon wheel.

Good to know. I saw zipp and I got excited. I would be great (not really) advertising for them if there wheels can stand up to rigor of whatever a methhead put it through.

Seriously, thank you all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Yeah it’s a thing so that you can shoulder the bike without trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My bike shipped

I ended up going for the dynamo lighting because why not

My thoughts and prays for you to make sure it gets to you ok!