Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Houthis getting attacked until they could no longer do this was the only possible outcome. The harm their actions are causing to Israel are nowhere near great enough to cause Israel to stop, and from any other country's perspective it's very unlikely that any pressure they applied to Israel would cause them to stop, and then even if it somehow did there's still a reasonable chance the Houthis just keep attacking anyway and change to another demand. And from Biden's perspective selling Israel out to appease a stated mortal enemy of Israel would just lead to a new record for the biggest electoral loss in US history. Meanwhile just dropping bombs on and blockading Yemen is a far more direct and guaranteed solution, which is probably why the UN is happy to let it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Because Israel clearly doesn't give a poo poo what other people think, even the USA.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You're justifying randomly spraying bullets and shooting missiles at innocent third parties, as long as the people doing it say it's for a cause that you support. The only reason there haven't been more casualties is a combination of the unsuitability of the missiles for the job and the navy actively shooting them down. There is approximately zero chance of the attacks impacting Israel either militarily or politically. Should the attacks succeed at forcing traffic away from the Red Sea, the only nation that will be materially harmed is Egypt.

Capitulating to piracy and hostage taking also encourages its use in the future, regardless of the perceived righteousness of its cause.

i'm explicitly not justifying that in the post you're quoting. i'm saying that imo the price of a political solution is well worth the alternative price, which is a military campaign of dubious effectiveness and/or likely unacceptable humanitarian costs. what i am saying is that such a justification has its place in a discussion. to be clear, my position was that israel should be made to stand down well before the houthis started hitting ships, and in my opinion the houthis hitting ships only adds another problem which is solved best by my preferred policy. i therefore don't have to grapple with the moral aspects of this stuff at all. i would have prefered if the israelis were stopped before the houthis started their actions; i would prefer for the houthis to stop now that they have started; i happily see those two outcomes as linked, with relatively limited costs added to anything i think it's reasonable to care about. i have tried not to really opine on the justification debate at all, because i don't have a strong position on it and certainly not one which i'm willing to defend in the context of posting in D&D. what i do have a strong position on, as i have noted earlier, is the nature of the houthi movement as a political entity, the causal connection (or at least it being reasonable to believe that there is such a connection) between the war in gaza and houthi attacks on shipping and my position on the war in gaza. i have a somewhat weaker position, but still one i'm willing to present, on the practicality of US military intervention as a means to halt houthi military activity in the red sea.

on the flip side of the (probably real!) moral hazard you point out is the continued unaccountability of israel as it does its own crimes. to my knowledge the houthis still haven't actually killed any human beings in the present anti-shipping campaign, though they obviously could have; the israelis are well into the five digits. this is a lovely situation all around, but the response must not be to let israel do whatever it wants so long as the houthis are still active, which would be the logical extreme of your position.

finally, if traffic is redirected across the cape of good hope for any length of time the pain is absolutely not going to be limited to egypt. i would note, however, that before the US and UK made their recent series of strikes in yemen, a lot of traffic was still headed through; US+ action seems to, at least in the short term, have made this situation worse: https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/combined-maritime-forces-warns-ships-avoid-bab-al-mandab-strait-intertanko-2024-01-12/.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Houthis getting attacked until they could no longer do this was the only possible outcome. The harm their actions are causing to Israel are nowhere near great enough to cause Israel to stop, and from any other country's perspective it's very unlikely that any pressure they applied to Israel would cause them to stop, and then even if it somehow did there's still a reasonable chance the Houthis just keep attacking anyway and change to another demand. And from Biden's perspective selling Israel out to appease a stated mortal enemy of Israel would just lead to a new record for the biggest electoral loss in US history. Meanwhile just dropping bombs on and blockading Yemen is a far more direct and guaranteed solution, which is probably why the UN is happy to let it happen.

what's your source on the UN being "happy to let it happen"? the security council has adopted a resolution condemning the houthis' activities, but nothing there authorises military force except to "intercept attacks against merchant ships" in the comments from one of the members rather than the text itself:
https://press.un.org/en/2024/sc15561.doc.htm

the same text also

quote:

Urges caution and restraint to avoid further escalation of the situation in the Red Sea and the broader region, and encourages enhanced diplomatic efforts by all parties to that end, including continued support for dialogue and Yemen’s peace process under the UN auspices;"
, for the record

i also doubt that the US+ have enough ordnance in the theater to meaningfully suppress the houthis for any length of time. they seem to be dependent on ship-borne systems, while the houthis themselves can in principle just use drones, rockets and speedboats - they also held out against the very large and US-directed coalition air force for some time, emerging stronger after that bombardment was over. in my view, these are sufficient evidence to at the very least sow some seeds of doubt as to the practicality of the present US policy here.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i know nothing about iranian-pakistani relations, does anyone know if the insurgency that iran targeted in their strikes fall more into the camp of "pakistan can't exercise full control over its territory" or "pakistan views it as a geopolitical plus to have a neighbor dealing with a cross border insurgency"? (my assumption based on the historical example of afghanistan is that it's going to end up being some element of both)

i'm not clear if this is developing out of long running tension, or if this is an abrupt shift in relations due to the terrorist attack

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There are some deeply souless capitalists that have crunched the numbers. Even if the houthi's blockade were three times more effective, the economic impact on Israel would still be small compared to the economic damage from Israel's own large scale mobilization. Those IDF reservists have normal jobs, and the mobilization means hundreds of thousands of them are currently blowing up poo poo in Gaza instead of doing anything productive. That's a serious cost for a country that only has a bit over 9 million citizens. Now, the rest of the world will certainly notice if the red sea blockade gets worse, but when has the Israeli government cared about the rest of the world?

V. Illych L. posted:

i also doubt that the US+ have enough ordnance in the theater to meaningfully suppress the houthis for any length of time. they seem to be dependent on ship-borne systems, while the houthis themselves can in principle just use drones, rockets and speedboats - they also held out against the very large and US-directed coalition air force for some time, emerging stronger after that bombardment was over. in my view, these are sufficient evidence to at the very least sow some seeds of doubt as to the practicality of the present US policy here.

The Houthis were slowly but steadily losing coastal territory throughout 2017-18. They came very close to losing their last port to the Saudi coalition, and Yemen's population needs imports. They turned it around because Saudi bombs and UAE mercenaries were going to annihilate that port in the process of capturing it, and the US and other countries didn't want to see an even bigger humanitarian crisis from Yemen losing a vital port when it's already short of food and water. After the US and other international groups forced them to stop, the UAE basically gave up in disgust and declared no more ground expeditions. And while the UAE ground forces could, and did beat the Houthis in straight fights, Saudi ground forces can't.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

golden bubble posted:

There are some deeply souless capitalists that have crunched the numbers. Even if the houthi's blockade were three times more effective, the economic impact on Israel would still be small compared to the economic damage from Israel's own large scale mobilization. Those IDF reservists have normal jobs, and the mobilization means hundreds of thousands of them are currently blowing up poo poo in Gaza instead of doing anything productive. That's a serious cost for a country that only has a bit over 9 million citizens. Now, the rest of the world will certainly notice if the red sea blockade gets worse, but when has the Israeli government cared about the rest of the world?

Yeah it might impact the Israeli economy but if Israel prioritized the best economic policies they wouldn't have opted for an apartheid state in the first place. Subjugating and controlling Palestinians is clearly more important.

The question related to politics and military though. On the political side there's little evidence that what the Houthis are doing will make Israelis oppose the war in Gaza or make Americans want to cut ties with Israel. Militarily it's not obvious what Israel needs that must be transported by ship through the Suez.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You're justifying randomly spraying bullets and shooting missiles at innocent third parties, as long as the people doing it say it's for a cause that you support. The only reason there haven't been more casualties is a combination of the unsuitability of the missiles for the job and the navy actively shooting them down. There is approximately zero chance of the attacks impacting Israel either militarily or politically. Should the attacks succeed at forcing traffic away from the Red Sea, the only nation that will be materially harmed is Egypt.

Capitulating to piracy and hostage taking also encourages its use in the future, regardless of the perceived righteousness of its cause.

Spraying bullets and rockets at random innocent third parties and saying it will stop when Israel stops their murderfrenzy, is of course awful behavior the world should do without. It will work though if it makes a major backer (USA) or passive facilitators (China, EU, Arab countries) of Israels rampage more hesitant to support Israel or ignore the conflict in favor of Israel. I highly doubt it will actually work in any measurable way except for giving a regressive regime international influence and regional brownie points but there is a rationale for it influencing the conflict.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Israel is losing a wild amount of money off the war, as well as hemmorhaging dual-citizens. It's not likely to do the job by itself, but anything that additionally shutters Israeli business, cuts Israeli jobs, and compels more return voyages will help if your goal is to nonviolently compel Israel to stop (which, so long as America is openly supporting mass slaughter, is the only real way to stop the bombing).

It's definitely not going to single-handedly save Gaza, but it's definitely having an impact; Biden & co. wouldn't be defying the more pragmatic officials pleading with them not to escalate if it wasn't inconveniencing Israel & embarassing the west.

Had a glib thought earlier: it's kind of wild how this thread has evolved. At one point you only needed a French tabloid to say Libyan soldiers were about to obliterate a village to believe such. Now one must glimpse into the mind's eye of a guy in green and red saying "we are acting in accordance to article 1 of the Genocide Conventions to prevent a genocide against Palestinians. We will not stop until the genocide against Palestinians stops." Before we can truly determine that the blockade is I/P inspired.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Gnumonic posted:

Why? [does it have little chance of influencing Israeli behavior]
Because the ships they're attacking largely don't have anything to do with Israel except that they're sailing by. They're not going to/from there, the crews aren't from there, and the ship owners and chartering companies are non-Israeli multinational corporations. There have been a couple ships with some sort of link, but those seem more coincidental than anything.

The attacks aren't really applying any direct economic harm to Israel. And even if they did suddenly completely block all Israel linked traffic, there's not much that's going south anyway. Israel trades a bit with China and India, but mostly with Europe/US (not through the canal).

They're also not very good as general extortion because the Houthis have been opportunistically attacking ships in the area for a long time (just at a slower tempo). If there was a ceasefire today, it's not really credible that the attacks would stop long term, since they started long before this recent batch of fighting in Gaza.

As far as support/condemnation, I see it as similar to if there was a hypothetical group of protestors camping out near random US freeways, taking potshots at passing trucks with rifles, and saying "We will continue until there's a ceasefire in Gaza". I'd be okay with government force to stop that, even if this hypothetical group's motives were 100% ideologically pure and they were making an attempt to only shoot truck trailers instead of the drivers.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Foxfire_ posted:

They're also not very good as general extortion because the Houthis have been opportunistically attacking ships in the area for a long time (just at a slower tempo). If there was a ceasefire today, it's not really credible that the attacks would stop long term, since they started long before this recent batch of fighting in Gaza.

This keeps being said, but the only examples put forth have literally been Saudi ships or a Turkish ship at a Saudi port, during a Saudi-led war of extinction against Yemen.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

golden bubble posted:

The Houthis were slowly but steadily losing coastal territory throughout 2017-18. They came very close to losing their last port to the Saudi coalition, and Yemen's population needs imports. They turned it around because Saudi bombs and UAE mercenaries were going to annihilate that port in the process of capturing it, and the US and other countries didn't want to see an even bigger humanitarian crisis from Yemen losing a vital port when it's already short of food and water. After the US and other international groups forced them to stop, the UAE basically gave up in disgust and declared no more ground expeditions. And while the UAE ground forces could, and did beat the Houthis in straight fights, Saudi ground forces can't.

i don't see the US and friends engaging in a ground campaign against the houthis as on the table, but here i may be mistaken

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

V. Illych L. posted:

i don't see the US and friends engaging in a ground campaign against the houthis as on the table, but here i may be mistaken
This would be hideously unpopular in the US, let alone among its (usually more pacifistic) allies, unless the Houthis do a 9/11 or something that just enrages the American public.

Maybe if the Houthi attacks somehow ramp up and kill more people, Biden could get away with embedding a smaller number of troops in an allied force, like in Syria, but even that is pushing it imo.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

I don't see it either. I think they'd cut a deal sooner than invade Yemen. And you know what the Houthis probably think the same.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We'll just do airstrikes for awhile until they can declare 'mission accomplished' and leave

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Remember how Iran launched missiles at targets in Pakistan a few days back?

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1747805708823724058?s=20

Also the IRGC murdered a rich kurd for reasons I don't understand. Wonder if they are also going to retaliate soon?

https://twitter.com/FazelHawramy/status/1747020242138657069

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 18, 2024

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
If the Iranians strike back, this has the potential to spiral completely out of control.

As for the Houthis and the Red Sea, I thought Bret Deveraux had a good post on it over at his blog.

https://acoup.blog/2024/01/12/fireside-friday-january-12-2024/

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 18, 2024

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Iran was in the middle of conducting a joint military exercise with Pakistan when they launched their strike. I feel like Iran getting into an escalating conflict with a nuclear armed power on its border should be getting more attention than it seems to be.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Neurolimal posted:

This keeps being said, but the only examples put forth have literally been Saudi ships or a Turkish ship at a Saudi port, during a Saudi-led war of extinction against Yemen.
It's worth a mention that Turkey is not really aligned with the cause here, either, despite Sleazy E's fiery rhetoric. Wouldn't be surprising if Turkish-associated ships would be considered "fair game."
Ships linked to former Turkish PM continued to deliver goods to Israel during Gaza conflict

www.turkishminute.com - Fri, 01 Dec 2023 posted:

According to an investigative journalist citing data from maritime tracking websites, a shipping company with close links to former Turkish prime minister Binali Yıldırım, a close confidant of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, continued to send cargo to and from Israel during the height of the conflict in October and November – despite the Turkish government’s harsh anti-Israel rhetoric.

Between Oct. 16 and Nov. 7, the ships Hazar S and Sun S, which belong to Oras Denizcilik, entered the Israeli port of Haifa several times, according to an investigation by journalist Metin Cihan, the details of which he shared on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Oras Denizcilik is owned by Salih Zeki Çakır, a close associate of the former prime minister. Çakır is a known shipowner who employed Yıldırım briefly before his career in government.

Yıldırım’s son Erkam’s offshore company established in Malta shows “care of Oras Denizcilik” as the company address.

According to a previous investigation by Cihan, another shipping company with links to Erdoğan’s son Burak was also loading cargo in Israel during the height of the Gaza conflict in October.

Manta Denizcilik, owned by Mert Çetinkaya, who also co-owned MB Denizcilik with Burak Erdoğan, sent a ship to Israel like Oras Denizcilik.

The links to Burak Erdoğan and Erkam Yıldırım in both cases are through shared addresses and the same areas of activity with the companies in question and companies owned by Erdoğan and Yıldırım.

“Although the strictness of regulations about such matters changes from country to country, the fact that the companies have similar shareholders, the same registered addresses, the same areas of activity indicate organic links between these companies, according to a previous ruling by Turkey’s Supreme Court of Appeals,” Brussels-based lawyer Ali Yıldız told Turkish Minute.

This means that this degree of commonality under Turkish law can lead to legal obligations for the persons involved in the event of a dispute as they can be seen as shell companies, according to Yıldız.

## Yıldırım family’s shipping empire

In 2017 an investigation by European Investigative Collaborations (EIC) into then-prime minister Yıldırım’s family business revealed that the family possesses shipping and related assets exceeding 100 million euros.

Their business includes 11 foreign-flagged ships managed through a network of companies in Malta, the Netherlands, the Netherlands Antilles and possibly the Marshall Islands and Panama. The shipping operation, obscured in tax havens and opacity, is financed through substantial loans from Swiss and Turkish banks.

Yıldırım’s career in shipping started in 1994 with İstanbul Fast Ferries Company (İDO) owned by the city, which was then governed by newly elected mayor Erdoğan. Yıldırım was dismissed in 2000 due to a scandal involving favoritism towards his uncle. Unfazed, Yıldırım shifted to politics, joining Erdoğan’s Justice and Development Party (AKP) in 2001 and subsequently becoming minister of transport after the AKP’s 2002 election victory. Despite parliamentary inquiries, Yıldırım has been reticent about discussing his family’s business operations, only stating that he handed over his shipping business to his children upon becoming a deputy in 2002.

The EIC investigation traced the Yıldırım family’s shipping network to Malta-based entities like Dertel Shipping Limited, Nova Ponza Limited, Rory Malta Limited and Nova Warrior Limited, managed by Süleyman Vural, Yıldırım’s nephew and Erkam, his son. These companies, along with others in the Dutch Caribbean, are part of a sophisticated structure designed to obscure ownership and minimize tax liabilities.

The first traces of the Yıldırıms’ offshore adventures appear in Malta in 1998, via a company that alludes to the Turkish provenance of its shareholders — Tulip Maritime Limited.

This was headed by the former prime minister’s uncle Yılmaz Erence and contacts from Turkey’s political and business world. These included Çakır and Ahmet Ergün, President Erdoğan’s advisor from his days as İstanbul mayor, as well as a former deputy and high court judge, Abbas Gökçe.

According to revelations by Erdoğan’s former confidant Ali Yeşildağ, Yıldırım himself is just a keeper of a vast fortune that belongs to Erdoğan, who put him in charge of İstanbul city’s ferry company and to whom he owes his career.

## Trade with Israel

After Palestinian militant organization Hamas launched attacks on southern Israel from the Palestinian enclave of Gaza on Oct. 7 that killed 1,200 people and resulted in the taking of 240 hostages, Israel retaliated by pounding Gaza, leading to thousands of civilian casualties.

Israel’s harsh response drew criticism from around the globe, while backlash in the Islamic world was particularly pronounced. Turks took to the streets to protest Israel, while vigilante boycotts against pro-Israel companies degenerated into mobs attacking customers for choosing the wrong coffee shop to frequent.

Erdoğan, who long marketed himself in the Muslim world as the champion of Palestinian rights and a strong critic of Israel, was unusually moderate in his tone in the initial days of the conflict and even offered to mediate between the sides.

However, as public outrage grew over the death toll in Gaza, the Turkish president could not afford to remain silent and unleashed a harsh rhetoric that has shown no signs of abating, which has culminated in him repeatedly accusing Israel of being a “terrorist state” while praising Hamas as “liberators.”

The revelation that Erdoğan and his close circle continued trade with Israel drew the ire of critics who pointed out the hypocrisy of condemning Israel at the government level while privately pursuing a lucrative trade with the country.

Cihan had previously uncovered the scale of Turkey’s trade with Israel, saying on Nov. 11 that 253 ships have sailed from Turkey to Israel since Oct. 7, carrying cargo such as crude oil, fuel, iron and steel. Cihan also shared a list of ships transporting the goods from Turkey to Israel, emphasizing that the shipments are still ongoing.

Turkish exports to Israel rose by 34.8 pct from November to December - Turkish Minute

www.turkishminute.com - Thu, 04 Jan 2024 posted:

The Turkish (R) and Israeli flags are pictured before a meeting between the Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu and Israeli businessmen, in the coastal city of Tel Aviv, on May 25, 2022.
AFP

Contrary to Ankara’s political rhetoric on the war in the Palestinian enclave of Gaza, Turkish exports to Israel rose by 34.8 percent last month, according to official figures, as the country’s trade relations with Tel Aviv come under scrutiny.

Israel began pounding Gaza after Hamas militants carried out an unprecedented attack in the country on October 7, killing 1,200 people and taking more than 200 hostage. Israeli airstrikes and ground attacks on Gaza have so far claimed the lives of more than 22,000 people, according to the local authorities, in addition to leading to vast destruction in the enclave.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan announced on Tuesday that the country recorded $255.81 billion in exports last year, marking a 0.6 percent increase from the previous year.

According to İbrahim Kahveci, a columnist from the Karar news website, citing official figures, the rise in exports includes a notable 34.8 percent increase in trade with Israel from November to December 2023.

Kahveci pointed out that in December, Turkey’s exports to Israel skyrocketed to $430.6 million, a substantial 34.8 percent increase from $319.5 million in November, surpassing even the pre-October 7 attack level of $408.3 million.

This increase is particularly striking in light of the Turkish government’s critical stance toward Israel during the offensive in Gaza.

President Erdoğan has been vocal in condemnation of Israel, labeling it a “terrorist state.” Despite this, the data reveal that country’s exports to Israel not only continued but significantly increased.

In a recent interview Trade Minister Ömer Bolat stated that trade between Turkey and Israel had decreased by more than 50 percent between October 7 and December 4. Bolat attributed this decline to a boycott in Turkey against brands seen as supporters of Israel. However, these claims are at odds with the actual trade figures reported.

Critics have pointed out the government’s contradictory actions, with investigative journalist Metin Cihan highlighting ongoing business relations between certain Turkish companies and Israel. According to Cihan, companies linked to Erdoğan and his allies continued trading with Israel even as the president publicly championed the Palestinian cause.

Cihan’s revelations on X shed light on the involvement of companies such as Limak Holding, MNG Holding and Kolin Holding in trade activities with Israel. These companies, known for their government connections, allegedly used their ports for shipments to Israel and provided services to Israeli government tankers.
Turkish imports from Israel rose by 60.5 pct from October to November

www.turkishminute.com - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 posted:

Contrary to Ankara’s political rhetoric on the war in the Palestinian enclave of Gaza, Turkish imports from Israel rose by 60.5 percent from October to November, according to official figures, as the country’s trade relations with Tel Aviv come under scrutiny.

Israel began pounding Gaza after Hamas militants carried out an unprecedented attack in the country on October 7, killing some 1,200 people and taking more than 200 hostage. Israeli airstrikes and ground attacks on Gaza have so far claimed the lives of more than 24,000 people, according to the local authorities, in addition to leading to vast destruction in the enclave.

According to Alaattin Aktaş, a columnist from the Ekonomim news website, citing data from the Turkish Statistical Institute (TurkStat), the import figures from Israel in November stood at $127.7 million, up from $79.5 million in October. This increase came at a time when tensions in Gaza were escalating, raising questions about the consistency of Turkey’s political actions with its trade policies.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been vocal in condemnation of Israel, labeling it a “terrorist state.” Despite this, the data reveal that country’s imports from Israel significantly increased right after the recent conflict started.

Throughout the year, the trade balance between Turkey and Israel has been in Turkey’s favor. However, in November, imports from Israel constituted 42.4 percent of the total trade volume, more than any other month.

In a recent interview Trade Minister Ömer Bolat stated that trade between Turkey and Israel had decreased by more than 50 percent between October 7 and December 4. Bolat attributed this decline to a boycott in Turkey against brands seen as supporters of Israel. However, these claims are at odds with the actual trade figures reported.

On Friday Minister of Transport Abdülkadir Uraloğlu revealed that between October 7 and December 31, 2023, an average of eight ships per day, totaling 701 voyages, were made from Turkish ports to Israel.

Critics have pointed out the government’s contradictory actions, with investigative journalist Metin Cihan highlighting ongoing business relations between certain Turkish companies and Israel. According to Cihan, companies linked to Erdoğan and his allies continued trading with Israel even as the president publicly championed the Palestinian cause.

Cihan’s revelations on X shed light on the involvement of companies such as Limak Holding, MNG Holding and Kolin Holding in trade activities with Israel. These companies, known for their government connections, allegedly used their ports for shipments to Israel and provided services to Israeli government tankers.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Iran was in the middle of conducting a joint military exercise with Pakistan when they launched their strike.
That must have made for some really awkward joint debriefing.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Iran was in the middle of conducting a joint military exercise with Pakistan when they launched their strike. I feel like Iran getting into an escalating conflict with a nuclear armed power on its border should be getting more attention than it seems to be.

It should be, but I don't think much will come of this. Iran felt the need to flex, Pakistan can't just take it, so it has to retaliate. But that's kinda it. There's no large disagreement between the two countries to drive the conflict forward. They both have troubles with Balochistan, and much bigger troubles with other countries to keep them busy. I didn't know they were conducting exercises together but this shows the countries are not fundamentally at odds with each other.

I think this is Iran saying "if you want stability in this part of the world we need a seat at the table".

I'd be curious about reactions from China about this, as Pakistan is pretty close with them.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://www.businessinsider.com/iran-struck-pakistan-as-they-held-joint-military-exercise-2024-1

quote:

Iran's missile and drone attack on neighboring Pakistan earlier this week came as the two countries reportedly held a joint naval exercise in the Persian Gulf.

Iran was quick to claim that Pakistani citizens were not targeted in the attack, with its foreign minister, Hossein Amirabdollahian, saying during a speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, on Wednesday that Iran had targeted "Iranian terrorists present on Pakistani soil."

"We targeted Jaish al-Adl, not Pakistani citizens," Amirabdollahian said, per the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA), Iran's state news agency.

"We respect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Pakistan, but we won't allow Iran's security to be compromised," he added.

Pakistan warned of "serious consequences" for the strikes, which it said killed two children and injured three others.

While Iran was attacking Pakistan from the air, the two nations held joint military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz and the Persian Gulf.

The IRNA reported on Tuesday that officers from the Iranian Navy had carried out tactical maneuvers and communications practice with the Pakistani Navy.

The report said that both nations had deployed missile launchers and warships for the exercise.

Iran also hit Iraq and Syria with a series of airstrikes earlier this week as the conflicts in the Middle East continue to escalate.

The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said it had targeted an "Israeli spy base" in Iraq and ISIS positions in Syria, per the IRNA.

Responding to the news, Defense Minister Brigadier General Mohammadreza Ashtiani told reporters on Wednesday that Iran would not be limited in its defense of the Islamic republic.

"It doesn't matter to us. We will react from any area that threatens Iran," said the minister.

It doesn't seem like this was intended to escalate further. They must have really wanted to take out someone in Jaish al-Adl (assuming the statement is the true intention). Just furthering the global spiral into "we can missile/drone strike whoever we want wherever we want" that seems so popular right now. It's a terrible precedent that USA used in the global war on terror. Obviously assassinations have been going on forever, but now everyone has pretty sophisticated guided missiles and drones. Countries everywhere are going to have to invest a lot more into early detection and drone/missile defense.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

golden bubble posted:

Also the IRGC murdered a rich kurd for reasons I don't understand. Wonder if they are also going to retaliate soon?
He was meeting with Mossad agents at their base in Iraq when the IRGC missiles struck.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

He was meeting with Mossad agents at their base in Iraq when the IRGC missiles struck.
Is there any evidence of this or is this the Iranian version of "secret Hamas base inside that beach hut"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Everyone is Mossad, obviously

Things are still going great in the Middle East

quote:

Syria faces airstrikes likely conducted by Jordan's air force, 9 killed
An airstrike on southern Syria early Thursday killed at least nine people and was probably carried out by Jordan's air force, Syrian opposition activists said, the latest in a series of strikes in an area where cross-border drug smugglers have been active.
There was no immediate confirmation from Jordan on the strike that hit the province of Sweida, The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition war monitor, said nine people, including two children and at least three women, were killed in the strike on the village of Orman.
https://www.business-standard.com/world-news/syria-faces-airstrikes-likely-conducted-by-jordan-s-air-force-9-killed-124011800539_1.html

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Is there any evidence of this or is this the Iranian version of "secret Hamas base inside that beach hut"
Reuters said that Iraqi officials said that him and members of his family were at the compound and died in the attack.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/irans-revolutionary-guards-say-they-have-attacked-espionage-centers-iraqs-erbil-2024-01-15/

quote:

Multimillionaire Kurdish businessman Peshraw Dizayee and several members of his family were among the dead, killed when at least one rocket crashed into their home, Iraqi security and medical sources said.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It's governments citing intelligence agencies so no, nothing at all reliable.

Iran has hit Ebril multiple times in the past though for the same reason.

E: and Israel and Kurdish groups have worked together since the 60s so it is entirely possible there is a connection there, but who knows.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 18, 2024

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

Reuters said that Iraqi officials said that him and members of his family were at the compound and died in the attack.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/irans-revolutionary-guards-say-they-have-attacked-espionage-centers-iraqs-erbil-2024-01-15/
So the Mossad base was also his family home?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

So the Mossad base was also his family home?
Yeah, I guess so.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Charlz Guybon posted:

If the Iranians strike back, this has the potential to spiral completely out of control.

As for the Houthis and the Red Sea, I thought Bret Deveraux had a good post on it over at his blog.

https://acoup.blog/2024/01/12/fireside-friday-january-12-2024/

Thats a good read, his stuff usually is. Key summary paragraph here for the thread:

quote:

I want to dispense with the issue really quickly, which is the notion that what the Houthis are doing is actually a ‘blockade,’ ostensibly of Israel. The thing is, blockades are also governed by international law. A blockade is generally an act of war (though war is not always declared) directed at a specific country; international law requires the blockading power to stop ships for inspection and turn around ships that contain contraband goods. 

It does not allow a country to just shoot randomly at ships passing by under any flag headed to any destination; it certainly does not allow them to do so in international waters or in the territorial waters of non-belligerents. The notion then, which I have seen advanced, that Houthi action could be understood as some legal act of war or blockade direct at Israel is nonsense. 

If the Houthis are non-state actors, they’re engaged in piracy and hostes humani generis. If they’re state actors, they’re committing acts of war against quite a few different countries and no one ought to be terribly shocked at the result that produces. In particular, Houthi attacks have not been even remotely limited to ships with connections (of any sort!) to Israel; they’re attacking ships indiscriminately. 

I have also seen quite a lot of skepticism in the security policy space that an end to the conflict in Gaza would lead to an end to the attacks in the Red Sea; in any case, only one country can end the conflict in Gaza and it is a country that is not particularly impacted by the Red Sea crisis.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Blut posted:

Thats a good read, his stuff usually is. Key summary paragraph here for the thread:

The Houthi spirit was forged in the crucible of facing down the most western military on the entire planet: Saudi Arabia! Their heart knows no lies and their banner has never known defeat!

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

The left doesn't care if it isn't the US doing the killing and the right doesn't care if the dead are brown.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Neurolimal posted:

Israel is losing a wild amount of money off the war, as well as hemmorhaging dual-citizens. It's not likely to do the job by itself, but anything that additionally shutters Israeli business, cuts Israeli jobs, and compels more return voyages will help if your goal is to nonviolently compel Israel to stop (which, so long as America is openly supporting mass slaughter, is the only real way to stop the bombing).

While it's less violent than Israel's accelerated genocide campaign, attacking ships with missiles and kidnapping its crew is absolutely violent.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 19, 2024

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kalit posted:

While it's less violent than Israel's accelerated genocide campaign, attacking ships with missiles and kidnapping its crew is absolutely violent.

Sure, and the houthis have killed literally zero people during the blockade so they're at like 0.1/10 on the violence scale compared to israel. It's not merely "less violent", it is so much less violent that it might as well be described as nonviolent in comparison to what israel is doing

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

OctaMurk posted:

Sure, and the houthis have killed literally zero people during the blockade so they're at like 0.1/10 on the violence scale compared to israel. It's not merely "less violent", it is so much less violent that it might as well be described as nonviolent in comparison to what israel is doing

As I clearly stated, nonviolent is not the same as less violent. Even much less violent :rolleyes:

Side question for the thread in general, is there any news about any of the crew members from the captured ships? I can only find references about (at least some of them) being held hostage in initial news articles. But no news since about updates, terms of release, etc.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 19, 2024

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

OctaMurk posted:

Only because their tech sucks. These aren't special "less lethal" anti ship missiles they're firing. They're just lovely podunk trash missiles that they insist on impotently firing at passing defenseless ships.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So are the Houthi's attacks "impotent" or such a major harm they justify a sustained bombing campaign? You can't have it both ways, there has to be some sense of proportionality to any violent response.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I wouldn’t call someone who forces trade rerouting and successfully captured and imprisons ship crews “impotent.”

They’ve historically been a successful and capable military force, though more so on land than at sea.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

So are the Houthi's attacks "impotent" or such a major harm they justify a sustained bombing campaign? You can't have it both ways, there has to be some sense of proportionality to any violent response.

Has this ever stopped the USA from missiling people before? No.

mlmp08 posted:

I wouldn’t call someone who forces trade rerouting and successfully captured and imprisons ship crews “impotent.”

They’ve historically been a successful and capable military force, though more so on land than at sea.

Defending a mountain area against risk averse attackers, yeah sure.

ummel fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 19, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kalit posted:

Attacking ships* with drones and missiles is inherently nonviolent. It's the smoking accidents that get you:

*(also cities, if they have missile defense systems)

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

They're "impotent" because the USN is doing its job and intercepting the attacks and their accuracy sucks. Attempted murder is still a crime. So far nobody is carpet bombing Tehran so it's relatively proportional as far as these things go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

The left doesn't care if it isn't the US doing the killing and the right doesn't care if the dead are brown.

As an American Leftist I'm outraged by Iran's behavior and calling my representatives in congress to demand they knock off the unconditional support for Iran and vote against any future weapon shipments.