Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
How does Colorado not have a DC yet????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Prime should get the same Sports Illustrated AI that named him Sportsman of the Year to come coach his defense

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean at this point there is zero reason to actually have football attached to the actual school outside nostalgia. They are functionally an independent thing that sometimes the school subsidizes without any real meaningful payoff

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

That's why i always say they should use their scholarship after their eligibility ends. Pay them a living wage and they can use their scholarship after they don't get drafted, or a few years later when their knee gets blown up in a bad tackle.

This is also why some form of split needs to happen with D1 wherein the schools that are already running de-facto minor league pro programs should operate like this vs schools that are far closers to the traditional student athlete dynamic.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Soul Glo posted:

a massive percentage of corporations in all manner of industries are operating at a constant loss and still paying their workers, even if they have forty divisions and only one happens to turn a profit (or none, even, in the case of something like warner bros.)

when you see a problem of payment for labor and start to rationalize why the millionaires and billionaires at the top can’t possibly pay their water polo players or whatever even just minimum wage, you are doing too much for them.

I think the idea that all student athletes (or students at all…why are sports unique among clubs university clubs?) are employees of the university and that universities are essentially corporations is pretty hosed up actually. That’s how you end up with every degree program that isn’t a huge money maker getting axed.

The argument for paying college football players has always been based on the significant surplus value their labor generates, not the fact that they play a game and it’s hard so they deserve money. The guy playing water polo in front of 30 people is doing it because he loves playing water polo and the school covers the costs of maintaining the team because it’s good for students to have hobbies and and passions outside of school. But his labor isn’t being exploited because the product of his labor isn’t financial gain accruing to someone else.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Gonz posted:

I misread this as Marc Alaimo and was wondering if Gul Dukat of the Cardassian Union was talking football online.

Attention Bajoran workers student-athletes:

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Maybe Colorado and Iowa should merge

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

a massive percentage of corporations in all manner of industries are operating at a constant loss and still paying their workers, even if they have forty divisions and only one happens to turn a profit (or none, even, in the case of something like warner bros.)

when you see a problem of payment for labor and start to rationalize why the millionaires and billionaires at the top can’t possibly pay their water polo players or whatever even just minimum wage, you are doing too much for them.

You're thinking about it all wrong.

The guy running track isn't labor. He's a guy running track in college because he wants to run track. That really is an extracurricular activity that the university is paying for.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Judgy Fucker posted:

Saban, if you are seeing this recording, it means you tried to abandon your post while the stadium's self-destruct sequence was engaged. That will not be permitted. You have lost control of the Crimson Tide, disgracing yourself and Alabama. Your attempt to escape is no doubt a final act of cowardice. All fail-safes have been eliminated. Your personal access codes have been rescinded. The destruct sequence can no longer be halted. All you can do now is contemplate the depth of your disgrace and try to die like a, uh, Red Elephant.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean at this point there is zero reason to actually have football attached to the actual school outside nostalgia. They are functionally an independent thing that sometimes the school subsidizes without any real meaningful payoff

That isn't true at all. Successful football teams help increase sustainable enrollment. Alabama completely transformed under Saban, increasing by over 20,000 students, with tons of new facilities, even outside the athletic department.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Fluffdaddy posted:

That isn't true at all. Successful football teams help increase sustainable enrollment. Alabama completely transformed under Saban, increasing by over 20,000 students, with tons of new facilities, even outside the athletic department.

lol

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Enrollment increased 50% during Saban's run, most of that from out of state. Success brings more money to the city and the university, which makes the numbers go up. I don't understand the lol here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fluffdaddy posted:

I don’t see what being attached to the school actually does for this. If you separated them administratively do you think most students would even notice ? They would still treat it as the school team by inertia if anything else

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t see what being attached to the school actually does for this. If you separated them administratively do you think most students would even notice ? They would still treat it as the school team by inertia if anything else

Because the finances are still interlinked and making it some separate but not separate entity wouldn't make any sense for anyone involved.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I believe football/basketball usually fund every other sport the schools offer.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

''We want to build a university our football team can be proud of.''—Dr. George Lynn Cross, President of the University of Oklahoma circa 1952

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Fluffdaddy posted:

Enrollment increased 50% during Saban's run, most of that from out of state. Success brings more money to the city and the university, which makes the numbers go up. I don't understand the lol here.

This is true. Good teams bring in more out of state money.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The further blackpilling on cfb fandom because transfer/NIL rules on Alabama being pantsed funny.

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 17, 2024

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

A Sneaker Broker posted:

This is true. Good teams bring in more out of state money.

Alabama is now 60% out of state compared to 30% when Saban took over.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Fluffdaddy posted:

Alabama is now 60% out of state compared to 30% when Saban took over.

Another good team to look at is Texas. Potentially Colorado if they actually keep Prime and they start winning.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

As long as the players still had to be students at said school, no one would even notice anything was different.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
People here always underestimate the PR value that a good athletic program brings to a school. Alabama is/was thought of as a football powerhouse instead of a school in a backwater state. Smaller schools like Florida Gulf Coast or Valpo get remembered because of two weeks in March when they would otherwise be unknown outside of their local regions. That awareness in of itself is almost priceless in some cases.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Hire Brian Ferentz he can keep a team out of the end zone, if not scoring range.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

lol I just remembered Iowa still hasn’t hired an OC.

Maybe Kirk will just design that offense and call plays, just for that extra Ferentz goodness. Like my buddy’s father in law who would brew a pot of coffee, pour it into the reservoir and brew another pot with the coffee as coffee water. Just More Ferentz.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
http://twitter.com/UW_Football/status/1747754307137777689

Arizona WR coach to UW confirmed. It's still likely Fifita and Mcmillan stay but this has the possibility to change things.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

C. Everett Koop posted:

People here always underestimate the PR value that a good athletic program brings to a school. Alabama is/was thought of as a football powerhouse instead of a school in a backwater state. Smaller schools like Florida Gulf Coast or Valpo get remembered because of two weeks in March when they would otherwise be unknown outside of their local regions. That awareness in of itself is almost priceless in some cases.

The school I got my Masters is one of those schools that people split into "before the time we made the Final Four" and "after the time we made the Final Four." Went from a commuter school to a regular university with dorms and everything in like five years.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sash! posted:

The school I got my Masters is one of those schools that people split into "before the time we made the Final Four" and "after the time we made the Final Four." Went from a commuter school to a regular university with dorms and everything in like five years.

go Mason

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Truther Vandross posted:

These schools are eventually going to establish separate for-profit subsidiaries for football to get around Title IX and academics where the program is basically just leasing out space for practice and games from the university. They'll keep the college brands but it'll otherwise having nothing to do with traditional college athletics.

After this happens, one day a college football player will be traded.

pillsburysoldier posted:

The further blackpilling on cfb fandom because transfer/NIL rules on Alabama being pantsed funny.

Current transfer/NIL rules are great and allow Tulane to be competitive.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 18, 2024

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

lol I just remembered Iowa still hasn’t hired an OC.

Maybe Kirk will just design that offense and call plays, just for that extra Ferentz goodness. Like my buddy’s father in law who would brew a pot of coffee, pour it into the reservoir and brew another pot with the coffee as coffee water. Just More Ferentz.

Your friend should get his father in law an espresso maker for Christmas, drat. I'm making GBS threads my pants just thinking about that coffee

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

CharlestheHammer posted:

that nostalgia is the money

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Fluffdaddy posted:

That mostly happened because Alabama began giving free tuition to out of state students with high SAT or ACT scores.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Sash! posted:

If you are talking George Mason, there is also a huge amount of money from far-right billionaires and foundations financing that growth.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

predicto posted:

If you are talking George Mason, there is also a huge amount of money from far-right billionaires and foundations financing that growth.

Works for me!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

predicto posted:

Show me a school with prisitine funding, please.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Judgy Fucker posted:

Nice!

Sash! posted:

Saban, if you are seeing this recording, it means you tried to abandon your post while the stadium's self-destruct sequence was engaged. That will not be permitted. You have lost control of the Crimson Tide, disgracing yourself and Alabama. Your attempt to escape is no doubt a final act of cowardice. All fail-safes have been eliminated. Your personal access codes have been rescinded. The destruct sequence can no longer be halted. All you can do now is contemplate the depth of your disgrace and try to die like a, uh, Red Elephant.

:golfclap:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

predicto posted:

That mostly happened because Alabama began giving free tuition to out of state students with high SAT or ACT scores.

"Now, 58 percent of undergraduates come from outside Alabama, paying more than $30,000 in tuition to learn, tailgate, and go to fraternity parties at a school they may not have considered if Saban hadn’t drastically bolstered its public standing."
"The truism holds at Alabama, though, as evidenced by the continued growth of the enrollment boom. In 2013, the university’s chancellor told 60 Minutes, 'Nick Saban is the best financial investment this university has ever made.'"

https://www.theringer.com/college-football/2024/1/12/24035493/nick-saban-retired-legacy-alabama-college-football

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yeah bud, you’re either crazy, stupid, or both if you think they weren’t milling the out of town kids for every red cent. My wife was one such example and it was staggering to hear how much more she paid than my local rear end.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's also not just something the University tells people for the hell of it. It's consistently acknowledged internally.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

swickles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrODhcpboW8

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

swickles posted:

i dont know that they were criticizing, just stating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It’s better for rich far right weirdos to dump money in to NIL than whatever else they were going to do with it.