Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also loving lol at kids ruining group chats, *apple*, the absolute pinnacle of capitalist bullshit, is ruining group chat to wring a few more dollars out of poor parents and/or twist the perceptions of kids permanently

i don't think they are doing that, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
y'all have some very odd ideas

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

i don't have any kids, but if i did they wouldn't have any phone more advanced than a nokia flip phone until they were like 18

this is what all the sv elites do, wonder if they know something we don’t 🤔

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i don't think they are doing that, no

no, they literally are. tim is on record saying that if your mom doesn't like that iphones won't send high resolution pictures to her android phone, you should buy her an iphone.

timb would absolutely without a doubt prefer to have schoolkids get bullied than see his margins go down a fraction of a percent.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

do kids get bullied for having like an iphone se instead of an 11 or 12? or is it just entirely about the bubble color?

it’s just about iMessage. some kids don’t have iPhone at all but do have iPad. a lot of parent hand me downs. but if you can’t get on iMessage you are pitied at least around here. it’s messed up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

alternately stupid americans could get on board with the rest of the planet and just use whatsapp.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

alternately stupid americans could get on board with the rest of the planet and just use whatsapp.

that’s what I do, and would be even better if WhatsApp didn’t require a phone number.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

timb would absolutely without a doubt prefer to have schoolkids get bullied than see his margins go down a fraction of a percent.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

despite still having a facebook account, i generally want to avoid most of meta's products, and as such would rather use something other than whatsapp

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'd prefer that social space, in its totality, wasn't owned by massive multinationals in general, whether that's apple or facebook.

if you don't have at least some of imessage, whatsapp, tiktok etc installed on your phone then you do not exist as a person who other people will want to socialize with. unless your entire social circle consists of linux nerds that is.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

i have imessage and people still don't want to socialize with me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

despite still having a facebook account, i generally want to avoid most of meta's products, and as such would rather use something other than whatsapp

delete facebook, get whatsapp. no net change in number of meta products, but you will be better off because whatsapp isn't facebook.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

delete facebook, get whatsapp. no net change in number of meta products, but you will be better off because whatsapp isn't facebook.

epic thissary

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

just let the biggest company in the world blackmail you into spending 5x your budget on their correct brand

also loving lol at kids ruining group chats, *apple*, the absolute pinnacle of capitalist bullshit, is ruining group chat to wring a few more dollars out of poor parents and/or twist the perceptions of kids permanently

it's not the kids ruining group chats. it's their out-of-touch parents.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

it’s good to have a poor foreigner containment zone via app segregation, yes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

what's whatsapp?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm not using some euro knockoff of imessage.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Whatsapp is more like a knockoff off blackberry
messenger, complete with the check marks signifying message delivery and read status

oh what could have been if they opened it up to all platforms back in 2008-2009

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

complete with the check marks signifying message delivery and read status

iMessage does that too (it just said "read" instead of checkbox)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

oh I almost forgot
:allears:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
buying my child a samsung so that they’ll get a job to buy an iPhone

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009
the only reason i’m using a timbphone now is because after years of anroid usage, i got sick of google/samsung rearranging the ui every six months and removing perfectly functional (and even useful) features with no replacement

my galaxy s10 is now plugged into the stereo in the garage via the 3.5mm headphone jack and serves as a music machine while i’m grilling/working

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

Whatsapp is more like a knockoff off blackberry
messenger, complete with the check marks signifying message delivery and read status

oh what could have been if they opened it up to all platforms back in 2008-2009

The last gasp of Canadian tech relevance

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LieutenantFrost posted:

google/samsung rearranging the ui every six months and removing perfectly functional (and even useful) features with no replacement

Anroid.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rearranging the clocks on the android titanic

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

does indeed square with my general sense that iphone users are worse people on average

the one cryptocurrency weirdo I've met in real life is a rabid android fanatic. the iPhone people are normal people who buy iPhones because they just work and can just iMessage/airdrop photos from the beach/ski/golf/whatever trip to each other

Branch Nvidian posted:

i don't have any kids, but if i did they wouldn't have any phone more advanced than a nokia flip phone until they were like 18

every dork says this before they become a parent, then they give in because your kid not having a modern phone in high school makes them a social outcast who will hate your guts, far more so than accompanies general teen angst

like those future parents who swear their kids will grow up a hermit in the woods, then, a few months later, are desperately throwing a YouTube playlist of that australian blue dog cartoon or children's songs with dancing hitler or whatever at them when they discover that it buys them a precious 30 minutes of quiet

Apr 7, 2003

sounds healthy

Apr 7, 2003

my dad just threw a C64 at me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

same. i still haven't recovered

Apr 7, 2003

au contraire, a part of my childhood plays in every sports venue in the world today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGC3HuTztM

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

au contraire, a part of my childhood plays in every sports venue in the world today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGC3HuTztM

never had a c64, but I like the character of the synth sounds they make.

Apr 7, 2003

akadajet posted:

never had a c64,

wow

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The_Franz posted:

every dork says this before they become a parent, then they give in because your kid not having a modern phone in high school makes them a social outcast who will hate your guts, far more so than accompanies general teen angst

like those future parents who swear their kids will grow up a hermit in the woods, then, a few months later, are desperately throwing a YouTube playlist of that australian blue dog cartoon or children's songs with dancing hitler or whatever at them when they discover that it buys them a precious 30 minutes of quiet

agreed in that i doubt anyone actually holds up to the not giving their eventual kid a smartphone thing, but i can still safely say it because the likelihood of me ever having a kid is incredibly small. additionally, what's your beef with bluey?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

akadajet posted:

never had a c64, but I like the character of the synth sounds they make.

same

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

c64/amiga families were always the weird ones

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

my parents were saying, as late as early to mid 1999, that "home computers are just a fad," and that in another 5-10 years no one would be using them or "doing anything on that internet thing"

then they bought that lovely walmart-special hp pavilion desktop and my life was hosed forever

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

"hey buddy, you wanna play descent or doom or whatever?" "nah, I have an amiga. wanna play super margaux sisters?" "uh..."

Apr 7, 2003

akadajet posted:

c64/amiga families were always the weird ones

The C64 is the single best selling computer in history

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

imagining all the crt monitors and weird computers i'd have if i'd been an adult in the 80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

imagining all the crt monitors and weird computers i'd have if i'd been an adult in the 80s

same