Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Velius posted:

Playing through Aeterna Noctis and it’s pretty decent. I’m enjoying the brutal platforming and the scope of the game is pretty nuts. It could use better signposting of where to go, although it seems like there isn’t a well defined intended route; I already got an achievement for defeating a boss without some other item I haven’t found yet.

Theres a handful of these in the game, and I thought it was really neat. Was it the dude in the cemetery? :allears: if so I think I have an identical post in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

bawk posted:

Theres a handful of these in the game, and I thought it was really neat. Was it the dude in the cemetery? :allears: if so I think I have an identical post in this thread.

No it was the Forge boss without teleport arrows. I guess there’s one for Garibaldi without arrows but I didn’t even use arrows on him so kind of a nothing burger. Apparently there’s a boss in the Eastern Gate that you can get to in 30 minutes and I have no idea where that’d be so that’s fun. Done spoiling myself from achievements!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Finished momodora moonlit farewell and yeah, my impression didn't change much by the end. it's solidly okay and felt polished enough, but it didn't get much of emotional reaction out of me compared to reverie under the moonlight. The spritework is definitely nicer and more detailed, and the soundtrack is good. The game's a couple hours longer but there isn't much interesting filling that extra time. you can heal tank your way through most of the boss fights and it's so hard to see what they're doing behind the hit effects that I ended up doing this basically by accident. not only is it quite easy in general, but you even keep all your map progress and the items you picked up when you die, so there's basically no tension to any of it. Nothing wrong with an easier game (RUTM is quite easy as well), but I think you need to have some amount of friction in a metroidvania to make it feel rewarding to find the secrets and upgrades. I finished with twice as much money as it takes to buy everything in the game and so I wasn't sure what the existence of money even added to the game. it's somewhat less dour than momodora RUTM, but I think that game's strong melancholy vibes are one of the most memorable parts of it and one reason it still stands out as one of my favorite metroidvanias. Overall I wouldn't recommend against moonlit farewell but I couldn't give a very strong recommendation for it either with how many strong releases there have been to work through in the last year.

But if anyone has still slept on momodora reverie under the moonlight then let me add one more recommendation to check it out, it's only $10 and very compact (4-6 hours) so it's not a big time investment, but the vibes are just excellent.

Moonlit farewell left me kinda hungry for more metroidvania so I immediately bought 9 years of shadows.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Velius posted:

No it was the Forge boss without teleport arrows. I guess there’s one for Garibaldi without arrows but I didn’t even use arrows on him so kind of a nothing burger. Apparently there’s a boss in the Eastern Gate that you can get to in 30 minutes and I have no idea where that’d be so that’s fun. Done spoiling myself from achievements!

I got this one, too.

Those arrows are fine in concept as a method of traversal, but holy loving poo poo I hate the way they default bound the controls. Any game that uses L3 or R3 for anything important during the combat should be shot into space.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Man it feels good to have a good Prince of Persia and a good metroidvania simultaneously.

Didn't realize how much I missed these silly rooms full of swinging blades and spike walls.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i love these platforming challenges in prince of persia but i wish dying to the spikes (etc) didn't take a chunk of health. i think that's a reasonable penalty when traversing the normal areas, but when you're doing the specific challenge areas, it's kind of annoying

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
you can actually turn that off in the accessibility settings i think

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

This game is legitimately hard right? Like combat is not forgiving, enemies actively punish you if you try to pull off your full combo, and the platforming is i-wanna-be-the-guy-levels tough sometimes

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

the platforming is i-wanna-be-the-guy-levels tough sometimes
Now I have to go buy it just so I can tell you you're wrong

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Prince of Persia kicks rear end and is drat sprawling in a way I didnt expect

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Martman posted:

Now I have to go buy it just so I can tell you you're wrong

Oh im a trillion % talking out of my rear end but the game is legitimately hard, that or im old and my ancient hands can't play games well anymore

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

This game is legitimately hard right? Like combat is not forgiving, enemies actively punish you if you try to pull off your full combo, and the platforming is i-wanna-be-the-guy-levels tough sometimes

The team included a ton of accessibility options from what I read that should help modify the difficulty.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i'm mostly surprised with how stingy this game is with the potions, considering the distances between checkpoints can be pretty long. just got through some of the sunken harbor and need to go find two more time powers and i'm only at 2 potions, though a 3rd is in my grasp if i can just find another drat one of these upgrade materials. the potions take long enough to use that i'm surprised they don't give you a couple more, bosses on hard are pretty rough just because of how long they can go (in the archives mirror sargon is kicking my rear end just because he's got so much dang hp and i can't keep up with the parries)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Oh im a trillion % talking out of my rear end but the game is legitimately hard, that or im old and my ancient hands can't play games well anymore

It can get very mean, especially at the start when you have very little health or anything else to fall back on and limited mobility.

Something I didnt think about until now but do Xerxes coins stay with you if you use your second power?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just 100% bloodstained ritual of the night. What an amazing game.

Anyone know when Prince of Persia will come to steam? I want to play it bad

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

RC Cola posted:

Anyone know when Prince of Persia will come to steam? I want to play it bad

Epic exclusivity usually lasts a year.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RC Cola posted:

Anyone know when Prince of Persia will come to steam?
Don't all Ubisoft games--even those sold on Steam--require Ubisoft Connect anyways?

I bought the Switch version because it performs well and doesn't have the bullshit.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this large room full of pirates to the right of the Landmines fast travel point is one of the most miserable places I have ever been in a video game (positive)

really after like 10 deaths to the double sword pirates you're gonna do me like that with the chest huh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

this large room full of pirates to the right of the Landmines fast travel point is one of the most miserable places I have ever been in a video game (positive)

really after like 10 deaths to the double sword pirates you're gonna do me like that with the chest huh

That got me too and I laughed and laughed and laughed. Just best buds now.

Edit: Theres a reverse sequence skip where if you take a path back to the starting area it plays the entering Qaf cutscene again and respawns the initial fight.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 18, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

Moonlit farewell left me kinda hungry for more metroidvania so I immediately bought 9 years of shadows.

well, this one is also quite mid. The character art and soundtrack are very good, and I wish the soundtrack was for sale somewhere because it deserves more recognition, but the metroidvania elements are really uninspiring. it took me 8 hours to 101%, and it was some of the flattest-feeling 8 hours I've ever experienced in the genre. most of the movement upgrades are so contextual that they don't feel much like upgrades, and combat doesn't change almost at all where you don't really feel any more powerful as you progress with most of the enemies feeling like they exist as an obligation more than as interesting obstacles. 95% of it is absolutely trivial, and the last 5% only poses any challenge because of the uh, interesting decision to massively nerf you at the very end of the game, which I guess is unique for a metroidvania but doesn't exactly feel good. 9 years of shadows isn't bad but there's not enough there to recommend.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

that's a shame, i really like the graphical style. had that on my "to play eventually" list.

more blasphemous SPOILERS:

So i went back to try and clear out the rest of the map before going to ng+. I think i've finished all the quests etc available, got all the bones, I'm missing one loving angel and I don't know what to do except for a full goddamn scrape of the map. I HATE having to use a guide but I needed to do it for the bone thing in the library, and unfortunately, to get ending a. i had the rosary item equipped the whole time (the second i found it i was like, this is this games glasses), but since I pretty much never used the confessor rooms i didn't realise you could break them. Was this signposted somewhere and I missed it? Im working on a game with these kind of old school secrets but I think they need to be fair, i really dislike needing a guide lol. I'm on 99% of the map, so I guess i could just put the bell on and scrape the map from top to bottom but I think I'll leave it all til ng+.

field balm fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 19, 2024

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I bought Prince of Persia at full price off the strength of it being 'made by the rayman team'. It's neat but not amazing so far (recently got the 2nd feather ability). It's more combat focused than platforming, which surprised me having read a couple reviews beforehand. It has an issue many 2d-with-3d graphics games have where the size of everything feels... off. I'm often in huge areas that feel too empty and huge.

It's fun though. I'm itching to play it again after work.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’m about 2/3 of the way through Aeterna Noctis now. What a strange game. It’s stylistically and mechanically similar to Hollow Knight, similar combat mechanics, gems for abilities, blood/soul for healing or active powers, pogoing off enemies, etc; so much so it could easily be a reskin or romhack. Until it starts to add more mechanics and abilities, so you have a teleport arrow, as well as switch-triggering arrows, which allows for significantly more platforming variability. Then more layers of obstacles which interact with the arrows. It ends up being a platforming challenge much more of a level with Celeste (juggling button inputs for different abilities in tight passages/timing), which so far has been very fun (as a person who enjoyed the harder Hollow Knight platforming like the White Palace and Pain). Some especially neat stuff include a whole area of Mario Galaxy type platforming in space with center pointed gravity around circular masses, a tower climb with a timed mechanic, and more sci-fi themed areas later in the game.

It’s definitely a game I’d be hesitant to recommend without qualifying that it’s really big, drags at times due to the way movement abilities interact with checkpoints, and most of the appeal is the satisfying platforming rather than the combat which I find fairly pedestrian outside of the boss battles that are pretty challenging and intricate. One especially infuriating thing is the game auto saves where you are regularly, and routinely will have you platform to an item, save your position, then make you reverse the platforming back out unless you have a rare drop consumable to teleport back to the last teleport hub.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

I bought Prince of Persia at full price off the strength of it being 'made by the rayman team'. It's neat but not amazing so far (recently got the 2nd feather ability). It's more combat focused than platforming, which surprised me having read a couple reviews beforehand. It has an issue many 2d-with-3d graphics games have where the size of everything feels... off. I'm often in huge areas that feel too empty and huge.

It's fun though. I'm itching to play it again after work.

There are some platforming-only optional deviousness as you progress. The hidden floor in particular is a straight gauntlet of precision I stuck through only to feel trolled by the reward.

That said combat is a big and to me not super interesting part so Im glad Im on normal and just mainlined the sword damage and defense upgrades so even these midgame foes are easy to spam through

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I'm enjoying PoP lost crown but I talked to the trainer about using the dodge button to re-right oneself post-throw after getting the air dash and it doesn't seem to work? Is there something poorly explained here or do I have to some new flavor of learning disability? :psyduck:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sudonim posted:

I'm enjoying PoP lost crown but I talked to the trainer about using the dodge button to re-right oneself post-throw after getting the air dash and it doesn't seem to work? Is there something poorly explained here or do I have to some new flavor of learning disability? :psyduck:

Its a bug. Reload your game.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

lost crown: these blue guys in the forest are loving impossible to parry, holy poo poo I hate them

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

smashed through xanthium zero today. great little game, highly recommend if you want a shortish metroidvania. finished it with 100% items in about 4 and a half hours. My only real gripe was the gravity, ie jumping and falling super fast, which made it difficult to avoid damage and frustrating to make some jumps. however, the game is designed around taking a bunch of hits I guess and it never feels punishing, its pretty generous with the health, upgrades etc.

I especially loved the customisable weapon system (your gun has 4 different slots with 5-8 options for each slot). Pretty much everything is over powered but its fun coming up with combos, and they use it for a couple of puzzles too. I feel the pacing was accelerated a bit by getting maps with item locations and seeing breakable walls a little early, but i get that the developer erred on the side of not pissing people off, i guess a lot of people just quit games like this when they get stuck.

there are a couple of challenging sequences towards the end but thankfully spikes are just a screen reset rather than an instant death so it wasnt too frustrating. story was fine, cute idea, not too much to it (which is fine for the genre imo).

I guess there is a better ending if you play the hard mode, but due to the gravity etc i don't think ill bother. we'll see!

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is the best one of these in a long while. It has the bits from SotN and the Metroids I crave, but also managed to add in a bunch of stuff that is clearly from Souls and more recent games. Haven't had this much pure bliss from a MV since possibly Metroid Fusion or Shadow Complex.

Also, in the late game, it has sort of a Super Mario World Star World set of optional areas that are on par with the best platforming bits of Super Meat Boy/The End Is Nigh/Celeste. I love Rayman Origins/Legends, and the spirit of that team is in this game.

It Good. Try the demo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah im at the end of PoP and hooooooboy is their some mean platforming

Edit: and locked out of 100% as the arrow puzzle box wont trigger. Well that kills my playthrough and ability to recommend it dead

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 20, 2024

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Barudak posted:

Yeah im at the end of PoP and hooooooboy is their some mean platforming

Edit: and locked out of 100% as the arrow puzzle box wont trigger. Well that kills my playthrough and ability to recommend it dead

Bummer, what’s the bug?

I had a bug where the game froze if I tried to accept the moon sidequest. Fixed it by shutting off my controller and turning it back on. While searching for a fix, I saw people say the pirate quest (haven’t found yet) is also bugged if you don’t have a collectible by the time you find the npc. Lastly, I had something that I think (?) was a bug where I died on the 2nd wave of a combat room, came back and died again to 1st wave while trying to learn the parry timing (green guy in forest), and when I came back the combat didn’t even trigger. Hopefully didn’t miss anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Bummer, what’s the bug?

I had a bug where the game froze if I tried to accept the moon sidequest. Fixed it by shutting off my controller and turning it back on. While searching for a fix, I saw people say the pirate quest (haven’t found yet) is also bugged if you don’t have a collectible by the time you find the npc. Lastly, I had something that I think (?) was a bug where I died on the 2nd wave of a combat room, came back and died again to 1st wave while trying to learn the parry timing (green guy in forest), and when I came back the combat didn’t even trigger. Hopefully didn’t miss anything.

You can visibly see yourself hit the trigger, but it never does anything so the chest never spawns. Its been bugged for me since game start, I just didnt know it was a bug till now so no clue what causes it.

Replaying the entering Qaf cutscene also hosed up Ordo and the Fisherman but the game kept going at least. One of the later bosses also disappeared from the screen for me before it righted itself in the middle of them kicking my rear end.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I got the repeated cutscene too, I hope it doesn’t screw anything up. I didn’t get the pirate quest bug at least

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Barudak posted:

You can visibly see yourself hit the trigger, but it never does anything so the chest never spawns. Its been bugged for me since game start, I just didnt know it was a bug till now so no clue what causes it.

Replaying the entering Qaf cutscene also hosed up Ordo and the Fisherman but the game kept going at least. One of the later bosses also disappeared from the screen for me before it righted itself in the middle of them kicking my rear end.

You mean with the statue of the 2 bird archers outside haven? I just did that to be sure.

Had another bug vs forest boss where the screen flickered and its health completely reset when around 40%. Still almost got it, heh. Made the next attempt very easy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cleared the main path of PoP last night - seemed rather abrupt, somehow, even though the game was way longer than I expected. Still, absolutely fantastic game - even Hollow Knight didn't feel this good to play.

Doing 100% cleanup and a couple of the puzzle chests have me a bit stumped on what to do - any hints (or outright spoilers, I'm not picky)?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Cleared the main path of PoP last night - seemed rather abrupt, somehow, even though the game was way longer than I expected. Still, absolutely fantastic game - even Hollow Knight didn't feel this good to play.

Doing 100% cleanup and a couple of the puzzle chests have me a bit stumped on what to do - any hints (or outright spoilers, I'm not picky)?

First one:
Hint: what’s something you do with a sword in 2d Zelda’s?

Full spoiler:cut all the grass on the platforms

Just found the 2nd one myself and haven’t solved it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Doggone it I swear I did that for the first one. I'll try it again

While I'm here, a third one from the Pit idkwtf to do with:

(e) Thanks, worked this time. Guess I wasn't fast enough last time

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 20, 2024

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Ciaphas posted:

I haven't figured out the second one either just marked it to come back to. Looks like a tic-tac-toe board with the top left being the winning spot for whatever that's worth.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
At the start of the game when the prince is kidnapped I kicked an enemy into the screen where you get ambushed and the game teaches you to use your special moves. However because I broke the scripting when it went to go back into combat it just had me moonwalk back two screens until I paused the game which gave me control again.

Getting the Moon quest also bugged on me. I could talk to the guy but it stayed zoomed in on him and wouldn’t let me leave the screen. I had to go into my menu and back out before it stopped being weird.

So there’s definitely a few bugs they need to patch but I put hours into it last night and really can’t wait to get back into it tonight. I definitely would recommend it even with the bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hint: What do you have that looks like an X or and O?

Solution: Use the Chakaram on the upper left corner space to win the game