Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I helped a buddy with some flooding after a big storm last week. I was in his basement and found that he had piles of PCs, like 20-30 PCs of all different kinds. I told him that for payment he can build me a PC capable of playing DOTA2 at medium settings. He delivered, and I just threw Linux Mint on it, turns out that DOTA2 on full quality is an entirely different game to the potato version my old laptop could run. It's amazing, like I can follow my hero during fights now, I can see what's happening. I'm still bad, but at least I can see now.

From my experience the Windows client runs best. The macOS and linux builds both use vulkan to render graphics. They discontinued the opengl renderer in the muerta patch which ran WAY better.

I've used the mac, linux, and windows clients all on the same hardware and the Windows Direct X 11 build performs best by far. I turned the graphics in the mac and linux versions all the way down and still lagged during teamfights or when lots of spells and animations go off at once. Windows client runs fine at high graphics through team fights.

poo poo sucks bc i really like not dealing with Windows at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

When I got my new PC i tried playing Dota at 4k resolution, it wasn't really enjoyable, almost too clean looking so I had to turn it back down to 1080p lmao

I tried out a 4k monitor once briefly and it was interesting because there was enough detail that you could actually sorta see the cosmetics.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the Ice Snapfire skin is one of the worst things ive ever seen

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
yeah unfortunately there's no replacement for dx11 in this game. better still if you can get an AMD X3D processor

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

scott zoloft posted:

From my experience the Windows client runs best. The macOS and linux builds both use vulkan to render graphics. They discontinued the opengl renderer in the muerta patch which ran WAY better.

I've used the mac, linux, and windows clients all on the same hardware and the Windows Direct X 11 build performs best by far. I turned the graphics in the mac and linux versions all the way down and still lagged during teamfights or when lots of spells and animations go off at once. Windows client runs fine at high graphics through team fights.

poo poo sucks bc i really like not dealing with Windows at home.

It actually runs 100% perfect at full quality in 21:9, but the problem is DOTA is terrible in ultra-wide. It's important to play in 16:9, which works, I just have to set my monitor to that mode manually before I launch DOTERS. It's not a big deal but I'd like to just click the icon and be on my way.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

It actually runs 100% perfect at full quality in 21:9, but the problem is DOTA is terrible in ultra-wide. It's important to play in 16:9, which works, I just have to set my monitor to that mode manually before I launch DOTERS. It's not a big deal but I'd like to just click the icon and be on my way.

Really? My intel machine screens are 16:9. My separate M1 macbook is 16:10 i think, and when i was playing on that i'd get similar performance to my intel mac tower. Aspect ratio and resolution don't seem to be factors for me. What're your specs?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

scott zoloft posted:

Really? My intel machine screens are 16:9. My separate M1 macbook is 16:10 i think, and when i was playing on that i'd get similar performance to my intel mac tower. Aspect ratio and resolution don't seem to be factors for me. What're your specs?

Let me clarify. Dota2 runs great on my 3440x1440 monitor performance wise. But the game is bad to play on a 21:9 screen. The shop and map are way too far apart since the screen is so wide. I think also the game doesn't increase your fov. You see the same horizontally as a 16:10, but it clips off the top and bottom more aggressively. Essentially everything is larger and cropped. Ill take a few pics later and confirm this is correct still.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The versus screen just straight up tells you you're going to lose sometimes. Ah, so my carry had 4 kills in his last game on that hero and the enemy carry is on a huge winstreak and had 20 kills in his last game...

Also I wonder how many people complaining about cheats on Reddit know that like half the players in archon have their last-played hero visible on their mini profile which you can mouseover during picks?

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 18, 2024

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
If you don't dress up your mini-profile with something cool or goofy it's your own dang fault

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I've been spamming WW, everything but Safelane, and man I really like her. I'm curious how some vets handle her, Witch blade and Mage Slayer really slap on her. I'm trying to figure out how to manage the ult. I don't going blink because it seems I never really get a good look at them to initiate and it's just a waste of gold.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Can't speak much to itemization other than you probably don't ever want blink, but the ult is tricky. Up there with chrono for game enders. Ideally you lock down a core for 4.5-5.5s and ignore the aggro effect while people tp in to help you kill or you deal with the the nearby support while they're locked down. Trying to use it during a teamfight is almost always disastrous because your team will want to focus the pos1 that you're going to disable or whatever. Also actually good as an escape move: Curse a core or stunner and tp out.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any secret solutions for pak01.vpk randomly getting corrupted and closing the client? Based on Reddit and Github it seems like it has impacted a ton of people for months and Valve hasn't said poo poo about it. I've uninstalled and re-installed the client multiple times and it's fine for a dozen or so games, then it randomly crashes and gives me an abandon.

The only advice I've seen has been along the lines of 'buy and replace all your memory', which I assume is just someone on Reddit making poo poo up.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Blinks amazing on wyvern in any role because your positioning matters so much. Core can probably pick it up much later than support ww tho. Curse ain't an initiation spell for teamfights, you use it when people have already all jumped in like an axe call. The blink let's you stay hidden in the fog, keeping you alive, until you can follow up on whoever initiates from either team. If you use curse like axe call or duel for pick off's on people farming the sidelane in the creep wave instead of waiting for the perfect ult you'll have more success imo.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Does anyone have any secret solutions for pak01.vpk randomly getting corrupted and closing the client? Based on Reddit and Github it seems like it has impacted a ton of people for months and Valve hasn't said poo poo about it. I've uninstalled and re-installed the client multiple times and it's fine for a dozen or so games, then it randomly crashes and gives me an abandon.

The only advice I've seen has been along the lines of 'buy and replace all your memory', which I assume is just someone on Reddit making poo poo up.

It’s relatively likely that you are having RAM issues at least relative to dota. It can’t hurt to set your speed back to JEDEC specs (2133MHz for DDR4) and give it a test run.

If using that base speed setting doesn’t fix anything, try running memtest overnight and see if you get any errors. If there are errors it would actually be time for new RAM.

I’ve seen other people vouch for toggling secure boot to whichever setting you aren’t already using. Again something that can’t hurt to try.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks. I already ran memtest and had zero issues so I will mess with bios stuff I guess.

Very weird issue to have with a single old game.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
quality game of kunkka tonight folks. radiance is pretty good at these low levels and makes your game very easy. lets go boys

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
what is it about pudge that makes people pick him p4, miss hooks for 20 min and then DC

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Probably his charming smile

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

what is it about pudge that makes people pick him p4, miss hooks for 20 min and then DC

They don't play it for the 20 minutes of missed hooks, they play it for that one hook they land where they pull in the Ursa and become a hero Ursa turns around and murders your team with the free gap close

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Pudge and Sniper are the unofficial Dota mascots, they're picked very often. Also Pudge is fun but with a little different learning curve than other heroes, what you're seeing is people who're trying to have fun and failing.

Also if a Pudge hits every hook he's cheating.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

all it takes is losing to the pudge thats actually good to make you become the joker

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You miss every hook you don't throw

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
pick rubick and hook the pudge back.
but by then he has aghs blademail heart and eternal shroud so he just eats your team.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

The most fun hero combined with the role that people (incorrectly) think has the least responsibility or most freedom

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
My games have gotten insanely toxic recently. Every second game it seems multiple people are getting muted for the rest of the game by the game. Or they just start deliberately throwing themselves into the enemy 1v5 to feed, because one play they tried to make didn't go to plan.

I have 12k behaviour score and comm score, pls stop matching me with these people.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

they want to play mid, but they're not good enough at farming to play mid, so they play 4 as if they're a mid and just suck

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

TheFlyingLlama posted:

they want to play mid, but they're not good enough at farming to play mid, so they play 4 as if they're a mid and just suck

feeling called out on my lina 4 picks here

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm moving my self to unranked for a few weeks, I dipped my toes in Herald Ranked and it's just not a place I want to be. Give me unranked where it's just a PvE game and we're are all best friends.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I'm moving my self to unranked for a few weeks, I dipped my toes in Herald Ranked and it's just not a place I want to be. Give me unranked where it's just a PvE game and we're are all best friends.

TBH if you don't at least somewhat enjoy the meltdowns ranked is not for you. I stick in ranked because it's so absolutely funny every time a 30 year old IT guy starts dropping slurs because someone had an Indian accent or something on mic. And it's sooooo good when an enemy team who was trash talking gets owned by your team and you can get a little friendly taunting in back. I don't mind them because as the old saying goes 5 people on the enemy team can melt down but only 4 can on mine so the odds are always in my favor, all other factors aside.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Spiking posted:

I don't mind them because as the old saying goes 5 people on the enemy team can melt down but only 4 can on mine so the odds are always in my favor

For every meltdown you don't have I'm going to have two :colbert:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Sniper mid in low MMR is easy mode. I don't even bother getting Shrapnel, difu->dragon lance -> disperser -> hurricane -> crystalis, and just run around the map slaying, and no one can catch you.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Sniper mid in low MMR is easy mode. I don't even bother getting Shrapnel, difu->dragon lance -> disperser -> hurricane -> crystalis, and just run around the map slaying, and no one can catch you.
Why build normal things when you could be like the Sniper I had in a game a couple days ago who did the stupid Khanda Rapier poo poo and ended up losing three different rapiers?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Problem with that build is that it only works the first couple times you see it. After a few games of it, you just instabuild blademail and let the Sniper kill himself.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
I love trying to play sniper as a 4. Aghs shard and a pike and you just bounce around doing minimal damage.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Problem with that build is that it only works the first couple times you see it. After a few games of it, you just instabuild blademail and let the Sniper kill himself.

the sniper should simply make a euls, to dodge his own damage

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That sounds suspiciously like not buying another rapier :thunk:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I've been wrecking in Unranked with WW, I'm 6/6 with her. I'm going to stay in unranked until I have have a whole page of wins (minus any where someone obviously griefs and we lose). WW has a lot of impact all game, and I'm finding that I'm really enjoying the P4 role.

Last game I force staffed in and healed an Axe that had 10 HP, at the same time I cursed the other other team and caught three of them. When the heal was up, the Axe instead of running, went in and ulted the cursed enemy, and then got killed. He flamed me on chat "I HAD ULT WHY DID YOU CURSE" and I automuted him.

Thanks for listening.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

I've been wrecking in Unranked with WW, I'm 6/6 with her. I'm going to stay in unranked until I have have a whole page of wins (minus any where someone obviously griefs and we lose). WW has a lot of impact all game, and I'm finding that I'm really enjoying the P4 role.

Last game I force staffed in and healed an Axe that had 10 HP, at the same time I cursed the other other team and caught three of them. When the heal was up, the Axe instead of running, went in and ulted the cursed enemy, and then got killed. He flamed me on chat "I HAD ULT WHY DID YOU CURSE" and I automuted him.

Thanks for listening.

good news! that won't suddenly stop in ranked.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I found this meme build for Shadow Demon:

Go mind, Arcanes -> Kaya -> Aether Lens -> Meteor Hammer

You go around for early, mid game, making people uninstall dota. Late game you fall off hard and have to failback to regular SD support, but for those first 30 minutes you absolutely slap. No one in unranked or low MMR realizes how much damage 5 stacks do, and a disrupt/hammer combo you can easily get them on.

After a few minutes most people abandon lane, and then you just keep hunting. Unfortunately it ends up with you only having two cores if the game goes 40+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

There are many early and mid game winners right now, especially with the strength of veil>shivas or phyl>khanda.

I've been winning a lot with mid or off death prophet, you can build her tankier or for more dmg and ult spam and won't fall off until 40-50 mins. The suck is strong and gets stronger with her shard, you can chase people down with suck + shiva if you hit your big aoe silence.

I usually start with wraith band unless I'm against a lot of extra early magic dmg, use her q to get every range creep and harass the other carry. Rush veil and go mana boots into greaves or phase for extra chase. Euls and wind waker will get you out of most situations except things that mute items like disruptor ult + scepter. Also her ult does physical dmg and will still hurt bkb users, she has utility all game and is a lot of fun.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 1, 2024