Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Dokapon Findom posted:

You honestly know what the craziest thing about micro, nano, and pico-plastics in every conceivable thing is? A hundred years ago there was none of it. Nada. Zilch.

What happened what there was a number of them (0), and numbers go up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dokapon Findom posted:

You honestly know what the craziest thing about micro, nano, and pico-plastics in every conceivable thing is? A hundred years ago there was none of it. Nada. Zilch.

ah but we had leaded gas which is worse for u and we survived just fine. checkmate lib

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
we were still using a fuckton of natural rubber at the time, right? aren't car tires one of the major sources of microplastics?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

SixteenShells posted:

we were still using a fuckton of natural rubber at the time, right? aren't car tires one of the major sources of microplastics?

three quarters of all ocean microplastics come from tires

Car Hater posted:

The constant brrrrrrrr sound of wheels on pavement is the replacement for the sounds of living things

E; heehee we literally rubbed ourselves out, what a bunch of wankers :iiaca:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SixteenShells posted:

yup

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

also don't forget brake dust!

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

bedpan posted:

contains asbestos

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

His Purple Majesty posted:

The Apiary near me is about half the size it was since I last saw it a few months ago that's good right.

they mite have had a little problem

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

how’s the graph today?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Dokapon Findom posted:

This is one of those things i like to remind people: We are in an absolutely loving anomaly in human history right now and plastics werent event a real thing until the 1940s.

Oh gosh how did people shop and buy things: WAXED PAPER AND BURLAP. GLASS. TINS. jesus christ.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

This is one of those things i like to remind people: We are in an absolutely loving anomaly in human history right now and plastics werent event a real thing until the 1940s.

Oh gosh how did people shop and buy things: WAXED PAPER AND BURLAP. GLASS. TINS. jesus christ.

yeah. we lived in a world without plastics once. it was called the 1940s. we can do it again.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

One of my favorite annoying autist things to do is point out to people when we're doing something mundane that hasn't existed for most of human history. We can very earnestly say that we live in unprecedented times. Everyone else did too but you got to admit cars and planes are still pretty crazy compared to the changes they had.

Griz
May 21, 2001

sitchensis posted:

yeah. we lived in a world without plastics once. it was called the 1940s. we can do it again.

bakelite was patented in 1907, discontinued in the 40s, and you can still find micro bakelite in water
https://www.virginiamercury.com/2022/04/11/tiny-micro-plastics-huge-environmental-problem-for-rivers-ocean-researchers-say/

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SixteenShells posted:

I said how bad tires are for everything, and my dad disagreed because boomer, and I short circuited the argument by simply asking where the tire material went in between when it was new and when it had to be replaced.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Griz posted:

bakelite was patented in 1907, discontinued in the 40s, and you can still find micro bakelite in water
https://www.virginiamercury.com/2022/04/11/tiny-micro-plastics-huge-environmental-problem-for-rivers-ocean-researchers-say/

yeah i just mean in seriously common use. I dont think single use plastics for medical purposes ever really go away at this point but its totally possible to live and eliminate them from grocery stores, product packaging, and other various common use.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

yeah i just mean in seriously common use. I dont think single use plastics for medical purposes ever really go away at this point but its totally possible to live and eliminate them from grocery stores, product packaging, and other various common use.

I mean we could but then I would have to eat the whole tin of cookies when I open them, instead of having them in individual plastic wrappers

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skooma512 posted:

I said how bad tires are for everything, and my dad disagreed because boomer, and I short circuited the argument by simply asking where the tire material went in between when it was new and when it had to be replaced.

directly into my endrocrine system

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

SixteenShells posted:

Gutta percha telegraph cables and whatever else is an order of magnitude less harmful than a billion plus automobiles chugging along paved roads on vulcanized synthetic rubber

It's like complaining about all your breathable air being contaminated by Julius Caesar's last breath

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

His Purple Majesty posted:

The Apiary near me is about half the size it was since I last saw it a few months ago that's good right.

Like they have half the number of hives out?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I mean we could but then I would have to eat the whole tin of cookies when I open them, instead of having them in individual plastic wrappers

Don't pretend that would stop you eating the whole tin still :colbert:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*Looking around the room*

Plastic!

Plastic!

You're all plastic

None of you are free from pthalates

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

toggle posted:

how’s the graph today?

On a bit of a down swing but still terrifying:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Lmfao it's probably going to keep going up until the end of March though?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

haha geez.. lookin good though

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

The more scientists study Greenland, the worse its ice melt looks
https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/scientists-study-greenland-worse-ice-melt-looks-rcna134261

quote:

“Current consensus estimates of ice-sheet mass balance have underestimated recent mass loss from Greenland by as much as 20%,” the study’s authors wrote. In recent decades, almost every Greenland glacier has thinned or retreated.

Well that's just Greenland. I didn't see anything about Iceland so we are fine.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Greenland only looks big because of the map projections used in the west. They artificially enlarge the northern latitude countries, and so something as far north as Greenland looks huge, when in reality it's probably like the size of Madrid or something

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
melting glaciers are just great ways for future entrepreneurs to explore the vast glacial cave system underneath! wow!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Greenland only looks big because of the map projections used in the west. They artificially enlarge the northern latitude countries, and so something as far north as Greenland looks huge, when in reality it's probably like the size of Madrid or something

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I don't see what you're trying to say by posting a picture of the Louisiana purchase?

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I guess a significantly larger melting than we predicted would explain the way the ocean level rise is accelerating and not adhering to that dumbass "By 2100" poo poo

quote:

The rate of sea level rise has accelerated over the years:
1900–2000: Global sea level rose by 0.05–0.07 inches (1.2–1.7 millimeters) per year.
1990s: The rate increased to 3.2 millimeters per year.
2013–2022: The rate accelerated to 4.62 millimeters per year.

Luckily as Bjorn Lomborg would put it, there is less Ice melting every year

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What I'm reading here is that if I build my house 4.62 meters above sea level I'm good to go for 100 years.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

that's basically how our current modeling works so go for it

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

omg its “faster than expected” ‘s music

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

toggle posted:

how’s the graph today?

it's fine, there was a Christmas Miracle

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Rectal Death Alert posted:

The more scientists study Greenland, the worse its ice melt looks
https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/scientists-study-greenland-worse-ice-melt-looks-rcna134261

Well that's just Greenland. I didn't see anything about Iceland so we are fine.

nominative determinism ftw

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

bedpan posted:

wayyy worse than microplastics

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Unless posted:

new frostpunk trailer dropped yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWlLOpqIYjA

stewie griffin politics

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

this is a real horrible and tragic thing to happen to such good friendly sausages https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mubUaMIVudc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfetsmhOr9Y https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmgkgNR6AME

quote:

A very contagious strain of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) is wreaking havoc on elephant seals (Mirounga leonina) on the coast of Patagonia, Argentina. According to the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), almost 96 percent of elephant seal pups living at three breeding sites where the H5N1 strain of HPAI was detected have died. The WCS team estimates 17,000 elephant seal pups died in these areas in 2023.
https://www.popsci.com/environment/bird-flu-seals/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Well stop studying it then. Bduh