Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s better for rich far right weirdos to dump money in to NIL than whatever else they were going to do with it.

Yea no kidding. I’m coming to terms that there’s plenty of small to mid business owners with cash to spend, and I’d rather they transfer their wealth to college kids than trying to roll back EPA regulations or something awful like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Enrollment increased 50% during Saban's run, most of that from out of state. Success brings more money to the city and the university, which makes the numbers go up. I don't understand the lol here.

Look at this guy who won 45 million dollars. Why, you'd be an idiot not to play the lottery

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://twitter.com/ri_s_ob/status/1747670360449753344

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

predicto posted:

That mostly happened because Alabama began giving free tuition to out of state students with high SAT or ACT scores.

That's not at all unique to Alabama. I'm sure every university with SAT/ACT scholarships has done a financial breakdown and sets the requirements so they're not losing much. I bet there's a large portion of students that get their first year of classes (maybe the least expensive to teach) for free, fall below the required GPA, and then pay full out of state tuition for three more years. The choice whether to stay depends on how much they enjoyed their time on campus and what they expect in the future. Retaining those students is where winning football seasons, and the related events and comradery, pays off.

On different and very specific note, Alabama recently began offering mechanical engineering primarily online. Online undergraduate mechanical engineering is unusual - off hand I don't know of anywhere offering it other than Arizona State and Alabama. I bet it's more fun to be an alumni of the latter.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

swickles posted:

Show me a school with prisitine funding, please.

Nobody has pristine funding. George Mason’s funding is particularly notable, especially for a public university. The economics department and the law school are directly financed by right wing billionaires (which is why it’s the only US university that pretends that The Austrian school is real economics). The Koch brothers alone donated over 100 million. And in return they got professors and curriculum changes.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/conservative-string-attached-to-50-million-gift-to-george-mason-university/131962/

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

The Twinkie Czar posted:

That's not at all unique to Alabama. I'm sure every university with SAT/ACT scholarships has done a financial breakdown and sets the requirements so they're not losing much. I bet there's a large portion of students that get their first year of classes (maybe the least expensive to teach) for free, fall below the required GPA, and then pay full out of state tuition for three more years. The choice whether to stay depends on how much they enjoyed their time on campus and what they expect in the future. Retaining those students is where winning football seasons, and the related events and comradery, pays off.

Yes, but Alabama was different. Out of state students with a 30 ACT or 1350 SAT get a full tuition free ride for 4 years (this was a few years back, the numbers may have changed). Other out of state students with scores below that got a big cut in tuition. It was by far the most generous out of state scholarship program in the county, hands down, no question.

I’m not saying having Nick Saban didn’t help, but that money probably made more of a difference.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

They would have never made that move if Saban wasn't there though.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

They would have never made that move if Saban wasn't there though.

What makes you say that? genuine question

I’m cutting and pasting something from Reddit that is consistent with my understanding of it,

“ What happens is they give out scholarships to well performing upper-middle class high school students who probably would never get financial aid. This kid tells his friends that he’s going to bama. Maybe it opens their eyes to Bama as a possibility they had not yet considered. Maybe they planned to go to the same school to keep being besties together in college. Or maybe it contributes to a narrative that Bama gives out a LOT of scholarships and that makes it to the news or websites like “top 10 lists of colleges that give out lots of scholarships” and those pull in more applications.

Regardless, this leads to more out-of-state students paying out-of-state tuition which is a fuckin poo poo load more expensive than in-state. It only takes one other person from another state to make the scholarship to another student worth it.

This is the story told by my Econ professor. Maybe there are other contributing factors as others have said here, but according to my professor who’s friend used to write these scholarships it’s just a whole rear end strategy to get people to pay out-of-state fees. My professor’s friend apparently said that he felt horrible doing it because it ended up being that Bama didn’t give out nearly enough need-based aid.

See most of the scholarships don’t go to poor kids whose parents would never be able to afford the cost of college. Most of the kids who get this scholarship have parents who would be able to financially support their kids. Most people I knew on scholarship had decently stable families who sent them plenty of spending cash. It’s because it’s those decently stable families who have friends in other decently stable families who can pay the out-of-state fees.”

I’m pretty sure that Saban wasn’t the key to that calculation.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Sorry to get all effort post “acksully…” in this thread about footbaw.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea no kidding. I’m coming to terms that there’s plenty of small to mid business owners with cash to spend, and I’d rather they transfer their wealth to college kids than trying to roll back EPA regulations or something awful like that.

literally the only way to get them to give money to young black men

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

predicto posted:

Sorry to get all effort post “acksully…” in this thread about footbaw.

Ain't nothing wrong with doing this, effort posts are good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Alabama has had a massive influx of basic white girls from all over the country largely because of TikTok. I’m sure the success of the football team has played a big role in the overall picture as well, but a bunch of upper middle class white girls aren’t going to Alabama because the football team is good.

There are literally girls from Ohio and other Midwest states paying thousands of dollars to consultants to give them a better chance of getting into sorority houses.

E: and this is anecdotal but here in Ohio I know there’s an absurd number of upper middle class MAGA parents who view Bama/Ole Miss/Auburn/UGA as places that won’t turn their kids into libs. It’s really been a perfect convergence of factors for Alabama over the last 8-10 years.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 18, 2024

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

predicto posted:

What makes you say that? genuine question

I’m cutting and pasting something from Reddit that is consistent with my understanding of it,

“ What happens is they give out scholarships to well performing upper-middle class high school students who probably would never get financial aid. This kid tells his friends that he’s going to bama. Maybe it opens their eyes to Bama as a possibility they had not yet considered. Maybe they planned to go to the same school to keep being besties together in college. Or maybe it contributes to a narrative that Bama gives out a LOT of scholarships and that makes it to the news or websites like “top 10 lists of colleges that give out lots of scholarships” and those pull in more applications.

Regardless, this leads to more out-of-state students paying out-of-state tuition which is a fuckin poo poo load more expensive than in-state. It only takes one other person from another state to make the scholarship to another student worth it.

This is the story told by my Econ professor. Maybe there are other contributing factors as others have said here, but according to my professor who’s friend used to write these scholarships it’s just a whole rear end strategy to get people to pay out-of-state fees. My professor’s friend apparently said that he felt horrible doing it because it ended up being that Bama didn’t give out nearly enough need-based aid.

See most of the scholarships don’t go to poor kids whose parents would never be able to afford the cost of college. Most of the kids who get this scholarship have parents who would be able to financially support their kids. Most people I knew on scholarship had decently stable families who sent them plenty of spending cash. It’s because it’s those decently stable families who have friends in other decently stable families who can pay the out-of-state fees.”

I’m pretty sure that Saban wasn’t the key to that calculation.

Because the incentive to stay in Tuscaloosa would not have been high enough if the football team wasn't good.

The graduation rate is only 72%, with lots of kids coming in and washing out over the course of 3 or 4 semesters. The goal is to get them on campus and keep them there. And frankly, education wise, there are not a lot of strong programs at UA, outside of the engineering department. So it falls on football to be the big draw to keep kids paying that insane out of state tuition after they gently caress up their financial aid.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

http://twitter.com/UW_Football/status/1747754307137777689

Arizona WR coach to UW confirmed. It's still likely Fifita and Mcmillan stay but this has the possibility to change things.

From what I understand Coleman was gone even if Fisch stayed, so we don't truly know what the fallout is yet. But I guess we'll see.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

predicto posted:

The economics department and the law school are directly financed by right wing billionaires (which is why it’s the only US university that pretends that The Austrian school is real economics).

The University of Chicago, while having a few differences in the beliefs its economics school pushes, is very Austrian-friendly.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Virtually all Econ departments serve as the ideological clergy of capitalism, I don’t know why the Kochs funding one makes it that much worse than any other

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

After this happens, one day a college football player will be traded.

International soccer-style transfer fees for players’ registration rights.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Because the incentive to stay in Tuscaloosa would not have been high enough if the football team wasn't good.

The “Flutie Effect” is decently well-studied and is exactly what this conversation is about - the extra attention success in college sports gives schools (named after Boston College’s influx after Doug Flutie’s Hail Mary against The U in 1984).

Sports really act as a “front porch” for universities in the U.S. There were definitely people I went to school with who both heard of and decided to come to Oregon because of the sports connections, and that certainly has been true when appealing to the California kids not going to UC schools.

To put it from another angle - I know about a few universities in Japan either because they participate in the annual new year’s Hakone Ekiden marathon, which is the highest-profile college sports event in the country.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Truther Vandross posted:

Alabama has had a massive influx of basic white girls from all over the country largely because of TikTok. I’m sure the success of the football team has played a big role in the overall picture as well, but a bunch of upper middle class white girls aren’t going to Alabama because the football team is good.

There are literally girls from Ohio and other Midwest states paying thousands of dollars to consultants to give them a better chance of getting into sorority houses.

E: and this is anecdotal but here in Ohio I know there’s an absurd number of upper middle class MAGA parents who view Bama/Ole Miss/Auburn/UGA as places that won’t turn their kids into libs. It’s really been a perfect convergence of factors for Alabama over the last 8-10 years.
I know multiple people on Long Island who have daughters now attending or wanting to attend Alabama exactly because of TikTok. They don’t know anything about football.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

By the by, the “Bama Rush” documentary is all about this. Going by that: Ball begat Sorority-tok, begat a whole buttload of Bettys coming by. That said the population drat near doubled during the first half of Saban’s tenure so it’s all related in some way or the other.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
It’s funny that all these kids are leaving Bama now but I bet we see an huge influx of kids when the portal opens again in April. Same with Washington

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Huh Vandy hired Jerry Kill as a consultant

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Imagine watching Bama Rush and wanting to in any way be part of that

Sometimes women do be crazy

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s funny that all these kids are leaving Bama now but I bet we see an huge influx of kids when the portal opens again in April. Same with Washington

Yeah, it’ll balance itself out eventually.

For now though, let them all transfer away. :D

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

predicto posted:

That mostly happened because Alabama began giving free tuition to out of state students with high SAT or ACT scores.

That started in the late 90s or early 00s, it's how my in law went there on a full ride and got to experience the 3 coach year. So it predates Saban by quite a bit.

When my spouse went there earlier to do dig school she was one of the few northerners and there was tons of culture shock by everyone. The main story I remember is people being shocked she enjoyed sweet corn as a food for some reason.

Edit: also, sorority rush was even worse back then from the stories I hear. The HBO documentary on Bama last year didn't even break the surface on the nastiness and racism of explicitly not picking girls of color embedded deep within.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 18, 2024

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
If the MAGA parents from Ohio don’t want their kids turning into libs they can keep them in state at Miami.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bama Rush could’ve been interesting but the filmmaker decided to make it about her struggles with having alopecia instead of about what those rushes were doing.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

She was clear about why that happened. They shut her out pretty hard.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's also not just something the University tells people for the hell of it. It's consistently acknowledged internally.

You’re telling me that the school is going to justify the football spending somehow?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

She was clear about why that happened. They shut her out pretty hard.

making it a personal story rather than a fly on the wall thing was probably a mistake as it has one foot in both camps and succeeds at neither

anyways lmao alabama's gonna be so fuckin bad next season

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

making it a personal story rather than a fly on the wall thing was probably a mistake as it has one foot in both camps and succeeds at neither

anyways lmao alabama's gonna be so fuckin bad next season

It sucked but everyone either cut her off or dropped rush entirely so there wasn’t much else to be done

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I've been told in Texas terms that Alabama is becoming a public version of SMU, in that a lot of wealthy kids are adding Bama to their fallback lists as it's becoming more prestigious.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 18, 2024

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bama Rush could’ve been interesting but the filmmaker decided to make it about her struggles with having alopecia instead of about what those rushes were doing.

In the end, I was disappointed with Bama Rush because it seemed apologetic about the culture.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Komet posted:

In the end, I was disappointed with Bama Rush because it seemed apologetic about the culture.

Yeah, the people I know who were in said sorority system were mad that it didn't go nearly hard enough at the nasty underbelly of it. There's a lot to dig up and expose.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

What the hell

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

GD_American posted:

The University of Chicago, while having a few differences in the beliefs its economics school pushes, is very Austrian-friendly.

Nah, Those differences are huge. A hundred years ago Hayek had something useful to say, but Modern Austrian “economics” is really just economics cosplay. They decided what they believe philosophically (rich people good, all regulation bad, return to the gold standard and close the Fed) and refuse to test those extreme libertarian beliefs using any historic results or mathematic models. It’s akin to religious belief. It’s Ron Paul.

The Chicago boys and every other actual modern economic school disagree on lots of things and some schools are more conservative than others, but all of them rightfully mock the fake Austrian “scholarship,”.

That’s why the billionaires had had to buy the George Mason economics department, so they would have someplace they could set up their fake think tanks (the Mises institute) and stow their fake professors.

predicto fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 18, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Arizona's roster is staying intact for the most part. Good luck UW!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/TransferPortal_/status/1748020251223114217?s=20

Hawkeye fans, start churning that corn a lil more please.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I did not realize “5-star PLUS” was a grade.

This is a level beyond super saiyan…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I did not realize “5-star PLUS” was a grade.

This is a level beyond super saiyan…

It means you are a guaranteed starter who will make a difference immediately as a freshman, or with some development; we will see you in the NFL in 3 years.