Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Doom 3 was great. I bought a GeforceFX 5600 card specifically to play it (not the biggest or best at the time, but it was a big upgrade from my old Geforce 2 MX400 and within my budget as a 20-year old earning minimum wage) and it blew me away. I didn't mind the swapping of the flashlight and the gun and it was sometimes genuinely scary only being able to see by the light of your muzzle flare or being vulnerable putting the gun away for a moment to get a better look.

I was disappointed by Half Life 2 later that year, by comparison. And Max Payne 2 came out a few months before Doom 3 and is one of my all-time favourites.

Doom 2016 was a blast. Eternal I gave up on, though I put a fair bit of effort into it. I was just so bored of the loving platforming. I wasn't a fan of the constant need to change weapons and use cooldowns, but I could get past that. I just absolutely suck at platforming in 3D games that are't in VR. Like my brain just doesn't process anything involved in measuring distance when it's a 3D perspective presented in 2D or something. And Eternal had so much goddamn jumping, vaulting and grabbing on to surfaces that no amount of fun demon-murdering made it a fun game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doom Eternal's wall climbing reminded me of the metalloid maniac sketch from ITYSL

METALMETALMETALMETALMETAL

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Doom 3 sucks lol, my pc mad mate bought it, played it for like 2 hours and then gave it to me for free as a thank you for all the Halo 1 legendary runs we did at weekends, never did finish it and the last time I tried to play it, well, it didn't play well with a modern pc.

Doom 2016 owns, it nails what a Doom game should have felt like at the time. I really need to replay it on max graphics etc.

Doom Eternal is not a good Doom game. I gave up maybe 2 hours in after a jumping puzzle which was interrupted by cutscenes...lol. gently caress off

Half life 2 owns but the vehicle sections were too long. The orange box might legit be the best thing that ever happened to pc gaming. No kappa

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

doom eternal: here's cool guns, shoot stuff to death or when it's low health press button to rip and tear!
me: cool!
doom eternal: okay now you have to press these things that are on a cooldown in order to get health and armour back instead of having pickups
me: okay
doom eternal: jump in a spiral around this rock where you instantly die if you miss a jump and then idk jump through some rings and poo poo, idk

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Superman 64 Eternal

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doom Eternal loving sucks because you have to manage your ammo, something I never thought about once in all of Doom 2016 which was a better game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Also while Doom 64 has some cool looks the level design ends up getting quite bad as it goes on and the devs start to rely on arena battles and their fun new scripting engine. And yeah missing the two glass cannon enemies of doom 2 really did make the combat more grindy.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
All this talk about Doom and no mention that it causes Satan worshiping and mass shootings, smh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serephina posted:

If they'd included the Arch Vile and Revenant in D64 I'd agree with you 100%, but D64's menagerie suffers from the same thing D1 did with gross over-use of Barons due to lack of options. Still great tho, awesome atmosphere.

D1 doesnt even have Barons to fall back on. Your only meaty mid health monster is John Romero's illicit lover, the Cacodemon

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Outpost22 posted:

All this talk about Doom and no mention that it causes Satan worshiping and mass shootings, smh.

Because not even Doom had anything as lethal as AR-15's.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

doom eternal: here's cool guns, shoot stuff to death or when it's low health press button to rip and tear!
me: cool!
doom eternal: okay now you have to press these things that are on a cooldown in order to get health and armour back instead of having pickups
me: okay
doom eternal: jump in a spiral around this rock where you instantly die if you miss a jump and then idk jump through some rings and poo poo, idk

??? There are health and armor pick ups all over the place in every arena in Eternal, also the cooldown on the chainsaw/flame belch is so you can’t just spam for infinite immediate ammo/armor in a fight, like you should never be in a situation where you don’t have ammo in the first place and if you can’t live through the 30 second cooldown then no amount of ammo was going to help you anyways.

Also there are no instant death falls in the game

Mordor She Wrote fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 18, 2024

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
all this doom talk and yall aren't even mentioning the distinct lack of commander keen?

I mean, yeah, there's dopefish. But no keen? Kids will want to see the original Billy Blaze.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Cosmik Debris posted:

all this doom talk and yall aren't even mentioning the distinct lack of commander keen?

I mean, yeah, there's dopefish. But no keen? Kids will want to see the original Billy Blaze.

Commander Keen’s skull and helmet can be found in the Doom Guy’s goon cave

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
ah no poo poo. i must have missed that. I was keeping my eyes open too.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Barudak posted:

D1 doesnt even have Barons to fall back on. Your only meaty mid health monster is John Romero's illicit lover, the Cacodemon

Did you forget the 'boss' mosters of the shareware episdoes, the bruiser brothers? D1 had barons, they just didn't have the colour-shifted hell knights which where half hp in order to speed up combat a bit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Serephina posted:

Did you forget the 'boss' mosters of the shareware episdoes, the bruiser brothers? D1 had barons, they just didn't have the colour-shifted hell knights which where half hp in order to speed up combat a bit.

Forget the episode 1 boss. Episode 4 level one has you taking them on with toothpicks and was one of the few levels where I legit just ran out of bullets because of that. I don't think I could ever forget them after that level.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serephina posted:

No, its I was thinking of Mancubus not Baron whooooooops.

FoolyCharged posted:

Forget the episode 1 boss. Episode 4 level one has you taking them on with toothpicks and was one of the few levels where I legit just ran out of bullets because of that. I don't think I could ever forget them after that level.

American McGee is gonna make you his Colony

Edit: Was that McGee map? Have I been blaming the wrong man for years?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Cosmik Debris posted:

there was a phone game I think. I really wanted to see Keen from the new Wolfenstein continuity but oh well.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
Y'all are nuts. It goes Doom, Doom 64, Doom Eternal, everything else.

Also GBA Doom is kickass.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

George posted:

there was a phone game I think. I really wanted to see Keen from the new Wolfenstein continuity but oh well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Y'all are nuts. It goes Doom, Doom 64, Doom Eternal, everything else.

Also GBA Doom is kickass.

GBA Doom split the Chasm into 2 levels and was my first exposure to Doom and I had to look up what the hell I was doing wrong when I finally played it on PC because my memory was lost how to progress.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I liked Doom Eternal a lot. Fun platforming and I enjoyed changing weapons a lot for different enemies. The game kinda reminded me of Ratchet and Clank somehow.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Caesar Saladin posted:

I liked Doom Eternal a lot. Fun platforming and I enjoyed changing weapons a lot for different enemies. The game kinda reminded me of Ratchet and Clank somehow.

I think of it as the Bayonetta/Metal Gear Rising of FPS games

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think Doom Eternal went from hey this is pretty fun to whatever when it decided that yes it needed swimming. The swimming section wasn't even all that long it just wasn't fun. It just felt like they kept trying to distract me from fun killing demons with dialog boxes explaining new poo poo. Oh another melee weapon I only can temporarily use and the games almost over? Yeah great okay whatever.

So yeah probably one of the best triple A titles I've played in the past decade. To be fair though I don't tend to play them so that list is very short.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I think of it as the Bayonetta/Metal Gear Rising of FPS games

The DLC reinforces this pretty hard by introducing the weapon that stuns so you can chain hits together on demons.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Doom eternal is weird because it's actually (and I'm surprised with the amount of this going on no one's said it yet) secretly just Tony Hawks Pro Gunner.

It reveals that in drips because playing THPS in first person is a lot, and that comes across as some really bad really annoying early levels.

By the end of the game though, it's definitely one of the best FPS games ever because as a couple of you mentioned, you need to use all it's tools. But at the start when it's introducing the mechanics, it feels a lot like a quick time event, because you don't realise how much freedom to freestyle you actually have.

Going back and playing the early levels after finishing the game, they felt totally different to me.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Doom 2 is an interesting one because about 1/3 of the way through the game they drop all pretense of creating levels that are meant to represent... really anything in particular, other than fun video game levels. They were like gently caress it, in this level you start out surrounded by 8 mystery doors. Ok now you gotta go across this giant pit on 2-inch-wide platforms. Have a giant flashing blue/red epilepsy room. Just a bunch of silly poo poo that you'd normally only find in a 3rd party map pack.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The first level of doom 2 was meant to look like.... something? Level 2 was in a sewer that included a two story stone building surrounded by a moat of toxic waste. Doom 1 and 2 were always just abstract as hell, and only ever sometimes made the barest hints of representing anything real.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I always liked how the first level in Quake episodes was in a cool sci fi setting before you just spent the rest of the time in dank grimy grotto castle

edit: did Quake have a story? Doom at least had this setting where you were a space marine, there were portals to hell, etc. I never understood anything about Quake. At all.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
doom 1 levels still vaguely feel like a thing to me, like if you look at the level name and then squint you can be like “oh I can see how this would be a toxic refinery/hangar/central processing place”. Doom 2 gives up on that extremely quick, which is a shame cause it’s “hell on earth” there should be more fun environments to play through.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I hate to derail from the Doom slapfight, but one classic FPS game I rarely see anyone mention is Painkiller. I played a poo poo-ton of that game, and for fast-paced shooters it really did a good job. Not all the guns were great, but the good ones were good, and the whole game had a solid esthetic. It was pretty big for a while, but seems to have dropped out of the collective consciousness for some reason.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Painkiller was especially awesome for its time because, at least on my computer that I could afford at the time, it looked better than anything I'd played and also ran better. It was doing physics and graphical things that I normally expect to grind my computer down to single digit framerates, but Painkiller was slick.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mordor She Wrote posted:

doom 1 levels still vaguely feel like a thing to me, like if you look at the level name and then squint you can be like “oh I can see how this would be a toxic refinery/hangar/central processing place”. Doom 2 gives up on that extremely quick, which is a shame cause it’s “hell on earth” there should be more fun environments to play through.

E1 maybe, but e2 and e3 there were a lot of just shapes and rooms. Although as it was meant to be hell not making sense, made sense I guess. :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

credburn posted:

Painkiller was especially awesome for its time because, at least on my computer that I could afford at the time, it looked better than anything I'd played and also ran better. It was doing physics and graphical things that I normally expect to grind my computer down to single digit framerates, but Painkiller was slick.

And the over the top storyline was fun. Shooting an angel in the face with a shotgun remains one of my favorite cutscenes of all time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

credburn posted:

I always liked how the first level in Quake episodes was in a cool sci fi setting before you just spent the rest of the time in dank grimy grotto castle

edit: did Quake have a story? Doom at least had this setting where you were a space marine, there were portals to hell, etc. I never understood anything about Quake. At all.

It does. A thing called Quake is sending its forces through slipgates (the things you go through at the end of each episodes first level) to attack earth. Its Lovecraft Mythos Slipgate Invasion instead of Doom's Christian Hell Mythos Slipgate Invasion.

Quake 2 and 4 are unrelated, unless you count Quake 2's new DLC made by machine games canon, in which case the enemies in 2 and 4 are more of Quakes armies

Edit: The DLC for Quake 2 by Machine Games, "Call of the Machine", is so goddamn good I no longer hate Quake 2.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 18, 2024

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

credburn posted:

Well here's a short video about just the topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBDI35NjQg

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Commander Keen’s skull and helmet can be found in the Doom Guy’s goon cave

I was so amazed by this incredible top 5 Easter egg in Doom Eternal that I slammed the table and called for my wife, but she'd already left months ago, taking half my Funko Pops with her.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Vic posted:

You mean the very feature that made Unreal Tournament more popular over Quake in the year 1999 when people used 56k modems to connect to the internet from their workplace?

Wild!

Quake 3 also came out in 1999 and also had bots, not sure which was more popular though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ymgve posted:

Quake 3 also came out in 1999 and also had bots, not sure which was more popular though

Unreal Tournament was a superior product all around as Quake 3 was basically just death match and team deathmatch at launch and had to catch up to things like capture the flag in its update release Quake 3 Team Arena.

However it did sell better than Unreal Tournament for the first year, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I hate to derail from the Doom slapfight, but one classic FPS game I rarely see anyone mention is Painkiller. I played a poo poo-ton of that game, and for fast-paced shooters it really did a good job. Not all the guns were great, but the good ones were good, and the whole game had a solid esthetic. It was pretty big for a while, but seems to have dropped out of the collective consciousness for some reason.

Oh, absolutely! Painkiller had that stake gun that could pin enemies to walls, which was essentially hl2s Grav Gun before it did it. Just endlessly fun. Having those tarot cards 'rewarding you with a power up for doing well' felt good too. An absolutely class act. I really enjoyed Blood and Blood 2, and Hexen 2, and actually Kiss: psycho circus came out around the same time as painkiller (in my mind... Just checked, lol, 4 years prior, ok.) and that was unreasonably good for a first person KISS game.

But the one for me that no one ever talks about is singularity. It was doing(a poor man's) titanfall 2 impression long before titanfall 2. (not the mechs, but that one level). It has a ton of other gimmicks in it too, and they're all just really fun.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 18, 2024